z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Digging Myself Out

by klennon14


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

Note: I really don't know what this is. It's basically word vomit about life, but I'd call it refined word vomit. Might make it into my novella, might not. Feel free to leave suggestions or comments.



I hate it when the steel-ton bricks start to pile up on you. At least it feels like they’re as heavy as steel and as hard as crisp, clean metal. They keep stacking up on top of my chest, pressing down until my throat threatens to pop and my insides start to burst. Even then, I keep it all inside. The parts and the thoughts and the feelings down deep want to inch their way out, but I keep pushing back, pushing back. I keep holding everything back.

The problem with holding it all in is that eventually the piles of bricks become so heavy, that I lose control. I don’t have power over them. They smack into my face, on top of my heart, crack my nose, break my knuckles, smack my teeth-

And I lose it.

I snap. I crack up. Mine as well unload me into the looney bin before it’s too full. Before it’s too full of those of us who are tired and worn out and ready to give up. I’m ready to give in to my demons. But just as I’m ready to make the jump, arms splayed out, head first…I stop myself. I tell myself I’ve gone too far. I can’t end this now. I have to keep going.

So I keep going and going and going. Until I can’t go anymore. Then it begins all over again. The cycle keeps on rolling, because time stops for no one. Isn’t time such a bitch? No matter how many times you scream and yell and kick at her to just stop even for a moment- she marches right on by without a care in the world. That’s life though. Everyone keeps on marching by, trampling over you, leaping across the giant hole you’ve just dug yourself.

The only way to get your ass up and out of this hole is to climb. You have to reach the top. So I start at the bottom, defeated, my body covered in dirt and brush. Then I pick myself up. It’s a slow progression. One foot. Two feet. Both arms. Spine stretching, legs tingling, feeling entering my body. When you start feeling, then you start remembering, and once you start remembering, you start going.

I claw at anything that will support me- anything that will hold me up. My fingers dig into the cold earth, unforgiving. My fingernails snap off one by one, bleeding. But I don’t stop. I dig and thrust my feet up and out of the depths of the hole until I can see the light- it’s so close. I can touch it. I can feel it. I can taste it.

I’m basked in the warmth. The sun kisses my shoulders, rests gently on my heart. The dampness and the brisk breeze make me feel alive. I inhale, exhale. Take a deep breath. I know time doesn’t stop for anyone, that bitch. But in this moment it feels like she has.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:32 pm
Sujana wrote a review...



Since this is very personal in its nature, I'll try to be thoughtful in this review.

First off, let me start that I liked this. I really did. It wasn't a story, really, but it doesn't need to be--a little narrative of internal conversation is enough to incite a lot of emotion in others. That's the fun thing about human, isn't it? You can relate with a lot of things, whether its on a piece of paper or otherwise.

You mention that you might make this a novella, which makes this a little strange. I can't imagine what kind of novella you'd be aiming for. Perhaps a little book of diary entries? Or an autobiography? It'll be interesting to read, definitely.

If I have any complaints, its that sometimes you use an inflammatory word that often comes off as a little inappropriate. Not as in "Oh my god don't say that around the kids" inappropriate, I mean "Well, it isn't bad, but why is it there?" inappropriate. Sometimes you use it exceedingly well--for example:

"Isn’t time such a bitch?"

Yes. Yes it is. I have no complaints on that, power to you.

But then you use it again:

"I know time doesn’t stop for anyone, that bitch."

And it loses a bit of its power. You no longer have the reply of "hell yeah times a bitch", you now have the quiet response of "um well I guess you're still right but you said it a second time". And it isn't repeated for any notable purpose. Repetition is fun, but like everything else it has to have a reason to be repeated. You can either add that purpose, or try and decrease the bitch metaphor for the sake of the power of your word.

But otherwise, this was a fine piece of work.

Signing out,

--EM.




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 364
Reviews: 10

Donate
Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:48 pm
Darkthorn wrote a review...



Hi, Klennon14

Darkthorn here to leave you a little review :).

First let me just start by saying I love the little before hand note. Being honest enough and straight to the point about this piece being, as you say, 'word vomit'.

But, lets get down to the the reason for my being here: the review.

Firstly, 'As hard as crisp, clean metal'.
The simile feels disjointed because of the use of the word 'crisp'. It implies that something is hard but easily broken, unlike metal (especially steel).

Secondly, 'Even then, I keep it all inside. The parts and the thoughts and the feelings down deep want to inch their way out, but I keep pushing back, pushing back.'

Those two sentences are a slight muddle in my opinion. I think you must have made a comma splice error and without noticing just carried on into an unnecessary double up. Also, have a look at the part of 'want to inch their way out'. Stress the verb a bit more there as it would play nicely into the whole situation of being trapped beneath a ton of steel, desperately trying to find relief.

Instead of using inch, try claw : 'The parts and the thoughts and the feelings down deep want to claw their way out...' It adds that feeling of harried desperation, after all the feelings want to fight until they're let out.

There are actually quite a few mistakes. Most of which are grammatical, some of which are due to semantics. But I suppose you were more about the idea itself than the language structure. If so, then Let me tell you this:

This entire piece is quite well done. It is something people can relate to, something that is written to climb deep into the hearts of its readers because, maybe they've gone through something similar.

I enjoyed reading this, regardless of the mistakes (after all, to err is to be human).
Continue doing what you've been doing all along.

~Darkthorn




klennon14 says...


Thank you so much for the thoughtful review. I will definitely take all of your advice into mind if I turn this into a short story or something of that nature. This was basically a tumbling of thoughts and feelings, so yes there are plenty of grammatical trip-ups, but I am appreciative of all of your great advice and feedback. Thank you!!




All hail the mighty Glow Cloud.
— Welcome to Night Vale