Alexandra Chapter 3

by kathy45662

Chapter 3:

The Beach & Melanie

Joe and I reached the edge of the beach. “Will you die if you totally dehydrate or don’t have water? What if you are dry?”

“I don’t really know Joe. I was never told anything.” “How about we sit on the beach, and talk a bit. I do not see anyone else here. The waves will come up with the wind and you’ll stay a bit wet.”

I did not see anything wrong with that. “So, you have a prince back home where you’re from?”

“No, I don’t. I guess I am stalling. The only merman I would consider would by Joshua, my friend, but I do not see him as a…lover. I do not really want to be a queen. I like being princess better.”

“Are you going to become human someday?”

“I do not know. I hope. I’d let my sister take over, but I’d have to stay here in the ocean at least fifteen years or more, for training her to take the queen’s place and everything.”

“What if I come back to get you then?” He put his hand on my fin, or my…right leg as it would be if I were human. “Whoa!” We both exclaimed. He suddenly removed his hand. His hand was warm and soft. It looked like it melted my fin away. “Maybe it’s the…the uh…the…the water. That is it. Less water makes it do that.” I paniced.

“Does it?”

“No, I don’t know.” I felt my right side of the fin. It felt like…something else…like very soft rubber. Like his hands and arms felt when I touched them. “Joe?”

“Yes?”

“Does it mean anything when a mermaid touches a pirate ship from underwater and the wood glows around the mermaids’ hand?”

“I don’t know. I never heard of anything like that. I have to get going. The ship is getting closer.”

“Okay Joe. Hey!” Hmm…he made that sound when he stood up and turned back around to look at me. “Don’t forget me. If you never find me within say, ten years, I’ll go find you, okay?”

“I’ll keep my word princess. Before I turn, twenty-six, I’ll do my best to come and find you if not sooner.”

“Will you uh…help me back in the water? I’ll swim you to the ship.”

“No, you won’t!” A voice shouted from the water.

“Oh no, you won’t.”

“Who was that?” Joe was getting nervous and started to run around on the beach.

“It’s me, Joshua. Some beach guards from the city saw me over near the waterfall. You will get into trouble Alex. We have to go now.” I looked at Joe. “Get in the water quick. You’re turning human!” He continued.

“Human? I thought I couldn’t turn human if I was dry?” I looked at my fin and seen white areas where the fin was beginning to descentegrate.

“You can’t, unless you were already human before. Hurry, move into the water.” Joe picked me up and put me in the water. “Joe, I’ll see you again someday.”

“HURRY UP ALEX!” Joshua was getting impatient. “Take care of her, Joshua. Bye Alexandra.” Joe jumped into the water and started to swim away. I watched him as he slowly swam out of my sight.

“Let’s go back Joshua. Thank you for fulfilling my birthday wish.”

“What wish was it?”

“I can’t say, or it won’t…uh…come true.”

“Okay. I am swimming fast. You’ll just have to catch up.”

“That is alright Joshua. I think I can manage.” I kept looking toward Joe’s path in the water where he headed.

Joshua was already gone. I swam toward Joe. “Joe!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. He did not get too far out of sight. “What Alexandra?”

“I didn’t kiss you goodbye.”

“I thought we’d wait until I saw you Ag—” I hugged him.

“Alexandra.”

“Yes?”

“Your eyes turned blue. They are a natural eye color now. They don’t look purple anymore.” I’m exasperated! “Are you serious? Maybe no one will notice. I have to go.”

“Bye.”

I swam and left Joe. I was not finished with him. I headed toward the mountains and swam a million miles an hour it seemed almost catching up with Joshua.

“Whoa. Wait a minute.” Joshua stopped me. I felt like I was going to crash since he stopped my rhythm motion of swimming. “Your eyes are blue!”

“I know, Joshua. Isn’t it wonderful?”

“Well, I guess so, but, don’t let your father see.” I looked back at him. “I guess that would be a problem wouldn’t it?” I swam on and Joshua is tired. “I will get you back to Crystal Waters Alex.”

As soon as I reached the palace walls, I noticed that it was quiet. There were no guards at the front gate. “Where is everyone?” Joshua asked.

“You mean, you don’t even know?” I thought he would know since they might have been planning a party.

“No Alex I do not.”

“I figured they were gone planning my party.”

“What party?”

“If they have not been planning a surprise party, then what were they planning? What did you and father talk about before we left?”

“Your father told me that taking you away from Crystal Waters would give him plenty of time to move some belongings. He said it was a good thing.” I did not know it. Father was planning to move the whole population of the city? They left early and without us. Where would they go?

“No one’s here. Father talked a while back about moving. Why would he do it on my birthday Joshua? This is horrible. I don’t want to move…not underwater.”

“Maybe…he heard you telling me that you didn’t think of this place as a home. I do not know what he knows about your plans or dreams Alex.

That is the only explanation I can think of. I’ll look this way, you go that way.” I did not look ‘that way’ where he pointed. I swam into the window of my bedroom.

Everything looks destroyed. The only thing remaining was my diary, my mirror on the shell dresser cracked to several pieces, and a box of my belongings, under my extra seashells. I looked in the broken mirror. My eyes were not blue. They were purple again. Wait! No, they are blue. It must be the lighting. Purple and blue are hard to tell apart in certain lighting. I know red and blue make purple. My hair was darker, and my fin was still red. My seashells that I am wearing turned red. It was the same red as my fin. What was happening? “What’s happening to me?” I felt my face. It felt more like skin, than rubber scales or fish. The skin colored handprint on my fin was gone, but I could slightly tell where it was. The find didn’t full regenerate where he touched it.

“Alex.” He came in my room. “Joshua!”

“What’s wrong? You look…different?” I did not say anything. “We should go to the magician. See what she says. If she is still there that is. What do you say?”

I picked my bag off my back and laid it on the dresser. “Joshua. Are you okay?”

“Hello. It’s nothing.”

“I want to see Melanie alone. It is a one on one conversation. Some personal questions I might add.”

He turned and faced the other direction. “Sure. I will just hang around here. I’ll wait for you.” I did not say anything. I headed south toward the southern exit. Every home...destroyed. Even Joshua’s home destroyed. I swam down to his home.

I noticed that a picture he had framed of his parents was broken. The picture ripped in half. One side had mother, father on the other, and his face torn in two. He would not have done this. I picked up the picture, and put it into my bag. He had another picture. It had mother, Joshua, some strange man and me. I did not know who that man was. We were babies in the picture. I did not know if Joshua was feeling weird from seeing this, picture before, or if there’s some family secret I don’t know about. I passed the southern entrance and headed down into the musty, molded cavern where the magician lived.

“Excuse me, anyone in here?

Melanie, where are you? It is I, Princess Alexandra. I need to know some things. Can you help me?” I was afraid to touch anything. All of her things seemed to be okay but sticky. “I’m here, Alexandra. Where’s Joshua?”

“I told him that I wanted a private conversation with you.”

“That’s a good thing my dear. He has a few answers for…you whose questions need answered. He knows more about your problems personally than I do.”

Melanie was the magician of Crystal Waters. She is the only magician with the abilities to perform some magic tricks that I knew. She was just a normal mermaid with magic abilities. She was very wise for her age too. She had short blonde hair, green eyes, but a black and gray colored fin and top coverings were gray as well.

“Where’s everyone gone to? All of Crystal Waters are gone. Everyone was gone except for Joshua and me. We were outside Crystal Waters and when we came back, they were all gone. He headed back because Joshua said he saw a guard that might have spotted him. This can’t be a cruel joke.”

“Let me tell you a story. It begins at your birth.” I am so confused.

“Everything that has happened is because I was born? Why did they have me?”

“That’s why I’m starting with your birth. They didn’t ‘have’ you.”

“You mean that I was human? Who were my parents? Why am I the princess if they didn’t have me?”

“You were born on a ship. It was a pirate ship. Along with your twin brother, whose name is Joshua Cook. Your last name is Cook also. Yes, your one true friend is your own brother. He had sworn not to tell for secret’s sake, to keep you from wanting to find your parents. Your mother is Rachael Potts. Your father is not King Sorman. Your father was human and your mother left home, became human, and fell in love with a pirate.

They conceived, had you and your twin, and she came to me. King Sorman never knew or found out that you were not his daughter. He does not know that Joshua is his stepson either. Joshua could not tell anyone. When your mother came to me, she had a human friend watch you and your brother. Your mother wrote a message saying this:

I have abandoned my post as queen of Crystal Waters,

I regret to inform you that I have some children.

I need your help to hide from the King, that with another man, I gave my dream.

The dream of having a human child,

Back fired and gave me a couple.

Please help me with hiding the younger,

In addition, turning the daughter back to who should be her father.

Turn me back also, as you will have her,

Hide my son, Joshua, from the King.

He would be in such despair, that I gave my heart, without a care.

Let him forget that I was ever away,

Let me think he has a daughter even through yesterday.

Forever I will owe you, and forever I will repay you, to keep my family together forever.

Queen Rachael (Cook).

This says very much Alexandra. I know what you want too. You want to become human, right. You brother knows that he is your brother. He understands that you want to be human. We talked recently before. Joshua also said he is okay that he does not want to be human. He said he’d be glad to take your place as Queen, but King instead.”

“That does say quite a bit. This Cook was my father. Was he a pirate?”

“Yes, Captain James Cook. He is past now so trying to find him will not work. It’s unlikely that he’s still alive.”

“Can you turn me into a human? What do I need to do?”

“Be patient. You have to do certain tasks before you can change permanently. It may take a few hours to finish them all.”

“What do I need to do, Melanie?”

“Here’s your list. There is no particular order in which you need to complete the tasks:

Becoming Human Completion List:

5 Seaweed leaves

5 grains of sand

5 pinches of dirt

1 willing heart

“This doesn’t seem like it will take that long of a time to do Melanie. I would like to go temporarily to get used to the environment; learning to walk, talk to them in person, eating arrangements, and everything else they may do differently. On my first day, I hope to search for Captain Joe Mills. The young boy I met earlier today. I cannot be for sure. I am not psychic. I plan to find my ‘home’.”

“Do you remember the dagger that Joe Mills had when he jumped ship earlier this day? Find that and bring it to me. You will have to keep it.

At least until you do find Joe. He should remember the dagger. He knows what it looks like. Humans do not realize when they meet a mermaid that it is real. They black out and wake up in their bed every time or they go so crazy no one believes them.

This case may be different. Joe never has had a black out, but questions his own actions. If you can find the dagger, I will hold it for you when you become human temporarily. You will learn much from one day out of the sea. Everything changes and not everyone is as friendly as you’d think.”

“I’ll go find the dagger. Do you know exactly where it is?”

“No. You will find it in time. Do not worry. Joshua has traveled on to see if there are any ships or boats out there. If you do not see him there, do not worry.

I have him under my protection for now. He can not be harmed.”

“Am I in your protection also?” She started to shrug. “Let’s wait until you are in human body form to do that. It only lasts for so long of a time period. You’re more in control as a mermaid for now.” I nodded, left her cave, and headed back up north to find the dagger that Joe left. I remember what it looked like too. It was silver with a sharp blade. It had a melted carving into it. Looked like a bird…a…Bald Eagle.

I went through the mountain valley and finally reached the anchor area within one hour. “Where is it?” I looked around the place and nowhere could I see it. I had to remember which way that it fell.

Everything was flashing before my eyes. My royal bedroom, father, mother, sister, my real father, Joe, the ship when I touched it, my glowing hand, the dagger cutting the ropes and falling east; going to the beach, talking to Joe, him swimming away, and last when I kissed him goodbye. I still remember that kiss in detail. “It’s the ropes!” Of course it is!

How could I have forgotten? “Joe used the dagger to cut the ropes. He never picked the dagger back up.” I swam east of the anchor and very low to the ocean floor moving the dirt and sand to catch the dagger. My hands gently glided between the sand grains and small rocks nicked my hand but it did not hurt badly.

I saw something shiny glare from the reflection of the sunrays. It was the dagger. I picked it up by the silver handle where a blazing sun engraving had been placed. “Found it!” I put the dagger in my pack I was carrying and took it back to Melanie. I had some rags covering it to keep it clean and un-smudge any fingerprints that may have been on it. “Here it is Melanie.” I held it in front of me with the palm of my hands. It looked as if it glowed a little. “Alexandra, this dagger is showing me something. It shows…what you did today. You did not resist meeting Joe. You did not say anything about Crystal Waters but he had a comfortable feeling when he was around you. I lose the connection after that…because with a little anger he threw the dagger at the ropes holding down the anchor, along with the chain. It all goes dark after that.

I can only see what the dagger saw.”

“I know that the mean man on the ship told Joe to cut the ropes. He was very hateful toward Joe – it seemed to me.”

“Indeed, and Joe is hateful toward the pirate Thomas Tea as well. That man is named, Sir Thomas Frank Tea.”

“When I saw him from under the water, his beard was gray colored.”

“Yes, Tea is older now. You may be right.”

“Well, I need to collect some items before I can temporarily turn you into a human.”

“I will keep the dagger safely in my treasure chest. Go to the beach Alexandra. Talk to your brother.”

“Melanie, do you know why my fin turned color when Joe touched my fin? It illuminated a hand print and when he removed his hand, it was still there, skin colored, but didn’t glow.”

“That’s interesting. You know, I believe you are…in your human life, supposed to be with Joe, or at least deserve to be human. It could be just a chemical reaction. You should be with him right now. He needs you it seems. He did not make you glow like that. The dagger saw when you touched the boat also. It is like a signal Alex. You are supposed to find the ship and be on it. I can’t say for sure why or how, but you are supposed to be in the company of Joe.”

“I’m supposed to be in the company of Joe?”

“Yes. That means…uh…he wants you around. For comfort, to love, or just having someone he trusts.”

“Oh. That is a good reason.”

“He may not be feeling it, but it’s what he looks for. His crew on the Eagle’s Eye is mean and he has no friends. Meeting you when he did, he could very well remember because you were so open and nice to him.”

“I hope he remembers. I feel a connection.”

“Connection is important I guess. Well, go talk to your brother. I will find things in Crystal Waters to help with the mixing potion. It may be an hour or so before I collect all the items. This will last at least five days what I’m mixing for you.”

“Okay Melanie. Thank you for helping.”

I saw Joshua sitting on the beach with just his head and shoulders far above the water. I joined him. “Hey.” I said. I did not know what to say.

“Did you talk to Melanie?” He asked concerned. “Yes, she told me more than what I was looking for.”

“She does that all the time. I could not help it Alex. I am sworn to secrecy when mother told me a few years ago. Mother said she had a horrible feeling about it.”

“I understand. It was for the better I suppose. If I had been told years ago, I probably never would have met Joe.”

“I think you would have someday.”

“Yes, I guess so. Melanie said that I belonged on that ship. Captain James Cook. It sounds so familiar Joshua.”

“I know. Maybe our real father was on that ship.” “No. Melanie told me that he has ‘past’. She said it was no use trying to find him.”

“She said he was ‘past’? However ‘past’ does not mean he is necessarily dead. It could mean that he’s a bad pirate, or has already ‘past’ here.”

“That doesn’t make sense. I guess we would have to search for him anyway. I want to know who my father is. I know Sorman was supposed to be our father, but he is only our stepfather. We are not blood related to the King. I am not a princess.”

“Yes, you are still a princess. In addition, I am a prince. Mother is the queen. We are her blood as well. We are still royal family members.”

“I don’t feel like it anymore. Knowing that my father really isn’t my father scares me Joshua.”

“I know. Just think we are kind of like Joe. He’s a pirate too.”

“Maybe Joe knows James Cook. They are both Captains.”

“James would be older though. It is possible. If they are both ship captains, they may at least know of each other. Whether they have met may be a totally different story. Alex, I feel too close to the water to even attempt a new life on land. I’m not going with you. Since I am still the prince, maybe I can rebuild the city and rule over it. Maybe hand it down to my new sister if I ever find mother and the new baby.”

“I guess Samantha isn’t your sister then, right?”

“She’s our cousin but she doesn’t know it. No one wanted her to know she was related to a royal family. I came so close to her family. Our Aunt and Uncle, and it seems like I have three mothers and three fathers. I’ve became so close to them all, except my real father. I have no father and son relationship.”

“Joshua, family doesn’t mean you have to be related. I always thought of you as a brother. Even before I knew that you were my brother.”

“You’re right. We have about a week or so. We could look for everyone until Melanie is ready for you.”

“Yes, let’s go to King Evart’s Palace. If they haven’t moved, then maybe our…father…uh…King Sorman…left a message with him knowing we’d think to go there.”

“That’s a wonderful idea! It will take more than a week to get there and back.”

“I need to tell Melanie what we’re going to do. This way we won’t be in her way when she’s looking for items.” I went to Melanie and told her. She said that I would know when she is ready for me. We first went back to our castle. The castle where Joshua should have been raised. He went to the new baby’s room. I went and collected my things from the royal bedroom, which was not mine anymore. I picked up my extra seashells, pictures of my so-called family, and other little doodads. Some used to be things that humans used. Tools or something like that I suppose.

I went through the royal hallway and straight into my little sister’s room. Joshua was looking at the crib. It is new. Never used. I think mother already gave birth to her, but it is uncertain. If she had it while traveling, they would have to stop for a few weeks for the baby to grow so big first. “Alex. My baby sister should be in this crib right now. It is dark and cold out now. She would be born by now. I wish I could hold her. I see her now, with a small red fin. Purple eyes just like her sister and mother.” He smiled and rubbed his hand on the crib and on the patted area where baby sister would be sleeping. It was dark. It has been a long day too. I feel how bad he feels not being able to be raised the way he knows he should have been. As royalty. Now I know why he looks strange at times. “Let’s sleep here tonight and we’ll have an early start to travel to King Evart’s Palace. I need some rest myself.”

After saying that, I left Joshua in the baby room and went back to my bedroom bed. It was cold and felt eerie around here. I fell asleep quickly.

DOES IT STILL MAKE SENSE UP TO THIS POINT? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU NOTICE ANY REPEATS FROM FIRST CHAPTER THROUGH TO NOW. I THINK SOME OF IT MAY BE REPETITIVE BUT NEED YOUR INPUT FIRST. I HAVE WORKED ON THIS NOVEL FOR YEARS ON AND OFF AND DOING IT ALL MYSELF I CAN'T PICK IT ALL OUT.

Qoh16 wrote a review...

Ok so this was a little confusing. I couldn't figure out who was talking at times and where they were. Like the scences didn't make sense. I needed more description.

And I don't know if i am completely right but I do feel like ive read this before. I think you repeated this from the 2nd chapter. But i could be wrong. And it really doesn't flow smoothly when they talk and Joshua comes up. He sorta comes out of the blue. I suggest announcing his presence. Him splashing or Alexandra seeing something coming up out of the water.
But other than it was really good that i sorta stopped doing my homework. heehee. Well im gonna go try and finish so i can keep reading. Keep Writing!! :D

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:32 pm

You've posted a lot today and I must confess I haven't read the first two chapters so we'll have to just start here. If I get hooked or get the time to I will try to review some of your other chapters too.

kathy45662 wrote:“Will you die if you totally dehydrate or don’t have water? What if you are dry?”[/quote Maybe add a note as to who's speaking, although this becomes apparent in the next line it would make this first bit less awkward to read.
kathy45662 wrote:I guess I am stalling. The only merman I would consider would by Joshua, my friend, but I do not see him as a…lover. I do not really want to be a queen. I like being princess better.”
You don't tend to contract words such as I am (I'm) and do not (don't). You may want to consider doing this as it makes the novel easier to read and flows more like a conversation.
kathy45662 wrote:I hope#FF00BF ">so

kathy45662 wrote:It looked like it melted my fin away. “Maybe it’s the…the uh…the…the water.
Unless I'm being slow - which I'll admit is a possibility- this doesn't make a lot of sense. I find it hard to picture what just happened and I don't understand why it did.
kathy45662 wrote:I panic#FF0000 ">ked.

kathy45662 wrote:“Does it mean anything when a mermaid touches a pirate ship from underwater and the wood glows around the mermaids’ hand?”
Hrrm what?
kathy45662 wrote:Before I turn, twenty-six,
Why this age? I think this point needs explaining.
kathy45662 wrote:“Oh no, you won’t.”
Didn't you just put that? It make it confusing as to who's talking.
kathy45662 wrote:“What wish was it?”

Well surely if he's fulfilled it it's come true already?

I'm going to have to stop here because:
a) I can't work out at all who is speaking and haven't got the patience to try and work it out.
b) My laptop is dying and I can't find the cable.
c) Chuck is on T.v :D

So post on my profile if you have any questions and i'll check them on my phone when I'm downstairs :)

Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe