as seasons change

by kaceymackwriter

shutters flash at lightning speed

though seconds are quicker to pass

in a moment there’s snow, then sun and rain

each trice a decision, a picture to last?

January 1st,

the ground is frozen, dipped in the moon,

new year’s wings, she’s draped in white

her feet are barren, eyes glint in a flurry

angelic winter with a year in her sights

March 20th,

welcome life, that which springs from below

windy dances bow to praise the newborn souls

she’s light on her feet, life blooms in her gaze

she’s the rush in the river as she watches it flow

June 20th,

harsh and glaring but a welcoming warmth

her judgement is freedom, her care is our earth

short days spent in liberty, should she permit

her rays light the path and we discover our worth

September 23rd,

her sigh is crisp in the icy air,

arms outstretched in a chilled embrace

cloaked in shades from the night’s fire

as strayed leaves are quick to burn away

December 22nd,

her movements slow, she moves to freeze

fading waves of forgotten tears

she saves hushed tones for the dead of night

to whisper us joys of “the end is near”

camera snaps and life is still

snatched before the moment's end

but beyond the frame, such eons persist

as seasons change behind the lens

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:08 pm
erinr05 wrote a review...

I love how this poem is set out. (Is there any particular meaning behind the dates, or are they random?)
As FloraPoems mentioned, the idea that all the seasons are one person is really unique. The emotions/feelings associated with each season are also interesting.
I liked the first and last stanzas describing the cameras. I particularly like the ending:
"beyond the frame, such eons persist | as seasons change behind the lens."

My favourite lines are probably : "Shutters flash at lightning speed | though seconds are quicker to pass", "welcome life, that which springs from below | windy dances bow to praise the newborn souls" and "her feet are barren, eyes glint in a flurry | angelic winter with a year in her sights".

I really enjoyed reading this, thanks for writing :)

:D i'm so glad you liked it! I was hoping someone would notice that all the dates except for January 1st are seasonal equinoxes signaling the beginning of a new season but alas XD

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:35 am
ServalX says...

This was pretty good, I just have one question-what the heck is a trice?

%uD83E%uDD23 trice means instant

ServalX says...

Ah. I see. I love the sound of that word-trice.

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:28 am
FloraPoems wrote a review...

Hey! I really enjoyed the imagery you captured in this poem, as the dates you placed before each stanza made the personality of each season you were capturing in this poem very clear. I love the concept of all of the seasons being one person, I think its a really different and unique to see when most characterization of the seasons involves spring, summer, winter, and fall all being separate people. I’m a little confused by the line “each trice a decision, a picture to last?” as i’m not quite sure if its a misspelling or just a misunderstanding on my part. Overall my favorite line was “the ground is frozen, dipped in the moon’”. Thanks for writing, I really enjoyed your poem!

trice means instant so I was trying to say like you have a decision to make each instant: to live in the moment or capture it with a picture. hope that clears it up! Thank you for the review and I'm glad you liked it!!!

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights