The Great wall of Confucionism

by jwes

Our story begins in ancient China with a young man named Shu Siyu a young peasant in a town called Beijing. One day he was playing with his pet chinese mitten crab named Sit Siyu, when his parents came bearing bad news. “The Emperor has decided to make a great wall to protect us.” said his mother, “Thats great” said Shu.

“ It would be if we didn’t have to build it”.”We start tomorrow”.

I set aside my favorite hemp trousers and cotton shirt for tomorrow. I dont know what father was talking about, I love building.

I was wrong I hate building , its terrible,Its my first day and I already almost died once. I got trapped in a wall and if it weren't for Sit I would be dead. I've started to hear rumors about people dying in the wall but they're probably just an overreaction. Suddenly I saw a giant stone brick heading right towards my head, luckily a man pushed me out of the way.”Thanks" I said.

"No problem" said the man

, I've been studying Confucianism, if I pass a test I don't have to work on the wall any more, isn't that great".

"Yeah where do I sign up"

I said," I can lend you my book if you want"Said the man

"that would be great"

I said “By the way my name is Yoon Renshu” .

After work today I went back home to my mother and father. Me and Sit where up all night studying. well mostly Sit. I found Confucianism very interesting, everybody being treated fairly, I wish I lived in a place like that. The Next day I found a dead body inside the wall, now I know those rumors were true, wait wasnt that the necklace Yoon was wearing. It was, he has a confucianism book in his hand. He won't be needing that anymore,

”HAHAHA YOON I NEVER LIKED YOU ANYWAYS” I yelled with joy.

Yes this book is just what I needed, It has all the information and the times of the tests nearby. I got home and had rice, my favorite food and one of the only foods i've had. Poor mom, she has been making our clothes and taking care of our rice field all by herself. Me, Dad and Sit have to work on the wall, where is dad anyway.

Oh no, Dad’s not back yet, I hope nothing bad has happened to him. Another day working on the wall and luckily nothing interesting happened. I came back and he is still not here, I ate dinner and then heard someone at the door “Dad?” I said.

“Yes, Son?” “DAD!, THANK GOODNESS”

“I got you a confucianism book, I see you’ve taken interest ”

“There was a really long line, What's so special about this confucius guy anyway ”

“thanks dad”.

Wow, the book dad gave me has like everything confucius ever said. Its called the Analects, If I memorize this Im sure to pass. Let me check the times of the tests. No theres only one test left. Tomorrow, “Sit , go study we've got some work to do”

“Dad can you take me to the test center today”

“sure son, Why?”

“To take a test obviously”

“What kind of test”

“A test that will get us out of building the wall”

“Hurry up get your stuff were leaving right now!”

I entered the test building sat down , my fingers tapping on the table frantically. Okay, question one, “Sit, what's question one?”

Sit squiggled furiously on the page. “Oh thats right, how about question two ?”

“You know what just do the whole test”

“Thank you.” Twelve hours later. Yes I’m done! Now what?

“Um mister guard man i'm done, here is my test”

“Okay, you are free to go, test results come in next week”

Yes after working on the wall I will finally get the test results. Oh theres someone at the door,

“Hello?”

“Yes I am here to tell you the test results, um you passed”

“YES!”

“You start in one week”.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:51 pm
yizhongt wrote a review...

Hi there, yizhongt here to review.

Well for starters, you might want to tell the readers what sort of exam, not test, the protagonist is sitting for, as some people might not be familiar with ancient Chinese history. In this case the protagonist would be sitting for the civil service exam/ imperial exam. You should also go into depth on what sort of material(s) the protagonist has to study for the exam. He doesn't just need one book, but rather five different writings on Confucianism.

There are a number of grammar mistakes present and some of the dialogue got really confusing to read. Try your best to avoid using 'I said' too much, because ' I said' does not convey the emotion(s) the person is feeling at that time.

And the part where the father was late to return, draw it out longer. Create some suspense for the reader.

Now as for the exam, this exam is the hardest exam in the whole of ancient China, and only the upper classes had the time and money to actually study for the examination. Peasant families like the protagonist ones of course could sit for it, but rarely had enough time to study for it as they had to work most of the time, in this case, it was building the Great Wall. Unless the protagonist has been studying for years before this, I don't see how he could have passed the exam. Furthermore, you cannot go to a testing centre and just sit for one.

I felt the end to the story was rushed and just sloppy. In addition to that, add on to what drives the protagonist to take the exam. For example, he wants to pass the exam so not only could he stop working on the wall, but also so that he could save his father from working on the wall too. In essence, the protagonist should aim higher.

Hope you found this helpful, and all the best in editing. Cheerio

Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:33 pm
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hey, jwes! Welcome to YWS! I'm Wolfare and I'll be your first reviewer here~

So, your beginning can really use some work. In the start of a story, you don't want prompt our entrance into the story, but throw us into the action so that we can instantly get absorbed into the drama of the story.

A little farther in, it talks more about how this boy almost died, but then mentions rumors about some people getting killed by being stuck in the wall... and how they are overreacting. Right there, you very openly contradict yourself and that also means the voice of the narrator is very inconsistent. Look through your story and try to make sure everything stays on the same page.

When the little boy (I assume he's young) was pushed out of the way from the brick, which is strange because it never explains why there would be a falling brick there, and the man saves him, the dialogue feels so flat. The narration does as well. The kid was just saved and all they say is 'Thanks'. Perhaps add in something about how they were paralyzed with fear and how they were so shocked, that's all they could mutter. Make sure you add in those loaded words, with emotion, to make the prose much more enjoyable.

It seems really random why in the world the man would mention studying this one religion. The boy never asked about it and he just kind of throws that out there... So, why? Everything has to happen for a reason, and that reason has to be better than 'to move the plot forward.' Perhaps have the man hesitate and show some extra pity for a child to be stuck there. Add in that emotion. I will keep saying this until it sticks, so don't forget to add it.

Um... interesting way for the boy to react to Yoon dying... I would think there would be a little more horror instead of spite for being able to take the book. That's rather odd. Try to keep this realistic, because it may otherwise just look like a joke of a story.

The ending is really confusing and super rushed. There is not context and basically an entire twelve hours happens in one line. Go into depth. How did it feel taking the test? Was he at all nervous? Go into more narration, because the ending just seems like you got lazy and didn't finish :/

Overall, this is just is the bare-bones of a story. The actual plot was interesting, but it was so underdeveloped the read seemed boring in general. Good luck with editing. Keep on Writing,
~Wolfare~

"Sometimes even shooting stars find wishes that miss their marks."
— TryHardNinja