12+

The Sunglass Man

by julia002

She looked out her bedroom window to see a man standing beside the naked tree across the street. The crunchy leaves on the ground surrounded his combat boots and large pants. The man was covered head to toe in clothing, bundled up for the weather. He seemed to drown in clothes next to the bare tree. Her eyes were pinned on the man. She recognized the black sunglasses he wore.

The week before she had gone to the drug store for gum. As she looked at the different options lit by the fluorescent light: spearmint, bubblegum, chocolate chip, peppermint, citrus orange. She had a bad habit of indecisiveness. She side-eyed the man beside her, hating the idea of eye contact with a stranger. She noticed his black clothing and matching sunglasses. He picked up the peppermint and left. She looked over at the counter as he checked out. He was tall and quiet; blending into his surroundings. She picked up the peppermint gum and went home, thinking of the sunglass man.

She walked away from her window and the man, moving on with other business of the day. Every once in a while, she would circle back, checking to see if he was still there. Some days he was, other days he wasn’t. It became part of her routine, like checking the time. Is the sunglass man here today?

She started keeping her blinds open and lights on at night, giving him the perfect view, like a spotlight. He always wore his sunglasses, even when the sun had set hours earlier. She liked this spectator, no longer invisible to everyone around her. He cared, he showed up for her. She no longer felt the need to hide from the world. This girl pretended she didn’t see him like she had no idea he even existed. It was more fun that way. She would creep into her room in just her towel and dripping hair. Unbothered, her towel would drop and she would get dressed for the night. Sometimes he would step closer to her window, farther from his tree.

On a special day, her hot breath fogged up the window as she looked outside to find he wasn’t there. He hadn’t been there for quite some time. She feared he would be gone forever and a chill went up her spine. The silence broke when she heard a hanger in her closet move so slightly. She froze in place, listening intently to every sound, his slow breaths were heavy from the pounds of clothes stuffed in the small space. She looked through the crack to see the shiny blackness of his glasses. Her eyes stayed on them, she wanted him to know that she knew.

She was a smart girl, she knew it wasn’t any good. You shouldn’t trust men who follow you. But that’s what she found so intriguing, the fact that she shouldn’t let him do all this. Though no words had been spoken, he didn't feel like a stranger.

That night she willingly walked into her room, humming her favorite song. She started dancing in the dim light, teasing him with the movement of her body. She flipped through a magazine, talking and laughing to herself. Then, she turned off her lamp and fell asleep to the sound of his muffled breathing and calculated shifts.

At midnight, the stars and the moon were hidden behind the rainy clouds. The streetlight lit her pale face through the wide-open blinds. She kept her eyes closed as she heard the closet door slowly open. She pretended to sleep the same way as when her parents would check on her during the night; she quickly would stuff her book and flashlight under her pillow.

She felt the man's weight on her bed, and she could feel his big black coat and combat boots. Their lips met each other and she kept her eyes closed the whole time. She was afraid if she opened her eyes he would disappear. His rubber-gloved hands caressed her pink cheeks and long hair. Her eyes finally opened to meet his sunglasses and a pocket knife to her throat. 

As he carved into her skin, she smiled.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:45 pm
PoetryMisfit wrote a review...

Hello Julia002, just wanted to leave a quick review.

This piece really subverts expectations, which is a really good quality to have in writing. I was expecting this to go a totally different direction, but the protagonist's perspective about the man and her response at the end really shocked me. I like your use of imagery to describe the setting such as the "naked tree" and the way you used that to provide description of the man in comparison. Your story has a very chilling and dark undertone the entire time. I was on the edge of anticipation to find out what would transpire between the protagonist and the Sunglass Man. The name itself "Sunglass Man" has a very eery tone to it, like that of a monster's name (i.e Slender Man). To me that made your piece more intriguing. Overall, great piece and I look forward to reading more from you.

Happy writing,
Poetry Misfit

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:03 pm

First Impression: Okayy..this was a very interesting piece here. I don't believe I've seen anything quite like it before. Things just went in the opposite direction to what I was expecting from the first paragraph and I really enjoyed that.

Okayy....well, this is creating a nice little touch of intrigue here to get us started in this particular story. It appears that we've got ourselves a bit of a mystery figure here, hovering about in a rather suspicious looking manner and as a reader, this one certainly manages to draw us into the story here.

Okayy...this is developing in a rather odd direction. I was expecting this person here to freak out a little or do something to react to this. Instead they oddly seem to have just accepted this for what it is and gone about their life without any sort of change whatsoever, now that does certainly make things very interesting.

Okayy...well, this is just continuing to simply get more and more intriguing with each passing moment. It seems this girl is leaning into this angle in a direction I never quite saw coming and while I feel its not the most realistic reaction, we also have no idea if there's more to this than what seem immediately apparent here.

Hmm, hmm, well things are just escalating rather wildly here and I have no idea where this is trying to go. On one hand, it seems as if she is simply falling prey to some sort of effect she doesn't see coming, but on another level, it seems like there's some sort of morbid curiosity situation going on here, drawing this person into accepting this very suspicious stranger.

As he carved into her skin, she smiled.

Okayy...well...that is some ending there...clearly this is implying some sort of death scenario here, it has to be from what we're seeing, I find it hard to see a knife to the throat can lead to too much else and yet, this girl seems to be happy about what's going on and its just ending with an odd air of mystery here as to what caused this person to let their life go down this particular route.

Overall: Overall, this made for a very interesting read here. It was a very unique plot, I've certainly never seen anything quite like this before. Well...aaand I belive that's about all I have to say on this one. :D

julia002 says...

woww thank you for this review/response!

Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:31 pm
Myah06 wrote a review...

This is outstanding. From the plot to the words you use to describe the scene. I was completely immersed in the story from the first sentence to the last.

I love the sense of mystery that you've someone how put in the air throughout the entire story. The girl doesn't seem to be fond of strangers straight from the second paragraph not wanting to make eye contact with one, (Or maybe she's just awkward like me?) but to me, it seems there's a bit of recognition? Or familiarity? Aghh, I don't know I want to know more about this character! Maybe She has a past where she felt unwanted or neglected which led to her wanting to be noticed by the stranger? Hmm, so many questions!
I feel like to add more to that mystery effect you could briefly think of a very vague backstory and mention some small details hinting towards that background that could lead the reader to think on it more so they'd want more from the story. (Somewhat like me, but I tend to read WAYY to deep so..) But these are just my thoughts, I absolutely LOVE this short story. I'm going to be thinking about it all-day imagining backstories for the characters and pondering questions (Like how he got in the house?!). You're an amazing writer, keep writing. I'm excited to read more of your stories! :)

Myah

julia002 says...

thank you so much for the review!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
— Someone Incredibly Noncommittal