z

Young Writers Society



"Alone" Prologue

by jules4848


This is a recent story idea I came up with. The idea of the prologue is to just set up the story. It gives you a hint into the kind of world the main character lives in, what kind of relationships and bonds the character has and it tells you what the main goal of the story is. If you get all that after reading this then I succeeded.

I don't care if you rip it to shreds. It's only a first draft so there's always room for improvement. Just a heads up I want to try and make it more detailed without giving away too much. Thanks, enjoy!

___________________________________

“Ugh!” Ryan slammed to the ground, blood around her lips and pain in her stomach. She groaned and turned over in an attempt to get up.

“Stay down, scum!” Ryan’s antagonists grabbed her hair and pulled her head back. They punched her in the face breaking Ryan’s nose and another punch led to a black eye.

“So much for never hit a girl,” thought Ryan to herself as they slammed her head pack into the pavement.

“Hey!” cried a voice. “Let her go!” Frightened, the boys ran off. “Ryan, I figured it was you!”

After helping her up Ryan was able to get a closer look at her savor. It was Mrs. Carson from Hand-to-Hand Combat class.

“Here lean on me we’ll go get you looked at.” Ryan was in too much pain to argue so she did what she was told.

***

“Ow!” shouted Ryan. “Watch it!”

“Oh hush, hush,” said Mrs. Rayon. “Somehow you managed to get five sharp rocks lodged in your back.” Mrs. Rayon was the local nurse, but she was uncanny at times. “Not to mention you have three broken ribs!”

“Ryan,” began Mrs. Carson.

“Wha-ow!”

“Ryan, you’re going to stay with me while you’re still healing,” explained Mrs. Carson. “That way those boys won’t get to you again.”

Ryan opened her mouth to protest.

“And no complaining!”

“Oh.”

***

“Ryan! I brought back dinner!” yelled Mrs. Carson.

“And desert!”

“Peter, that’s not for tonight.”

Peter was Mrs. Carson’s husband, but rarely was he called Mr. Carson. Everyone called him Peter as was dictated with every adult male in the nation.

“Ryan!” Mrs. Carson shouted again. Walking into the living room, Mrs. Carson found a note on the coffee table.

Mrs. Carson-

Went out. Will be back soon. I promise not to get into trouble!

-Ryan

Peter came over and read the note.

“She’ll be fine,” assured Peter.

“Yeah, I know, but I still worry.”

***

The swings screeched in the night as Ryan swung back and forth.

“Don’t worry. I’m working as hard as ever,” said Ryan into the night. “Wounds are what makes me stronger. A survivor. I promised I would reach our goal someday and that’s something I intend to keep.”

Ryan leaped off the swing landing firmly on her feet as if she had never been hurt. Looking at the stationary swing that had been next to her she began to pat its seat.

“I’m going to change the world someday, Sam, just like you wanted.”

***

(4 years later)

“Come on Ryan. There was nothing you could have done,” said Mr. Lanor.

“No!” Ryan screamed. “I could have been there. I could have saved them.” The rain poured down onto the street. Ryan and Mr. Lanor were both soaked.

“Now you’re just being ridiculous, I was being nice by lending you a hand but if you’re going to be like this, forget it. You’re on your own.” With those words Mr. Lanor walked away into the night. His steps were drowned out by the sound of water crashing onto pavement.

Ryan just stood there for a while.

The world knows nothing of my pain and yet it cries right along with me.”

Ryan set out to the park. Upon arrival she sat down on the swing like she had done so many times before.

“Mrs. Carson, Peter, and even Little Jesse. They’re all gone, Sam. What am I going to do?” asked Ryan. “I’m all alone.”

___________________________________________

Thanks again for reading and I hope you liked it.

-Jules


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 790
Reviews: 16

Donate
Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:49 pm
LisaMCooper says...



O.O I see everyone has already pointed out grammatical and spelling errors so I don't need to. But otherwise, I like it. Maybe fix a few things up here and there, but yeah, other than that, I like it.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:25 pm
Thirst_23 wrote a review...



Ok, I don't have many point to point grammatical concerns, but this is way too short. Each scene may be needed, but each of them needs to be much, much longer. I don't feel like I have a good sense of the world at all.

Remember that it has to be more about the characters than the plot. Plot can get out of control if you don't know the characters as well as needed, and then you may feel like starting over again. I know from experience that it takes a while to get back in the saddle again if you stop.




Random avatar

Points: 12900
Reviews: 110

Donate
Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:02 pm
Karsten wrote a review...



Hi Jules,

Overall, I struggled to get involved in this chapter. The series of very short scenes felt choppy to me and I didn't get enough of a sense of the narrator to really like her.

The opening scene reads like a slightly too obvious play for reader sympathy. The narrator is being beaten up (sympathy: she's a victim) for no apparent reason by a group (sympathy: unequal fight) who say stereotypically evil things like "stay down, scum!" (sympathy: they're bad guys). Without a clear idea of why exactly the narrator is being beaten up, I'm wary of giving her my sympathy. For all I know they're beating on her because she kicked their puppy - to death. In which case I'd feel quite sympathetic toward the other guys and I'd entirely agree with their statement that she's "scum". I get the impression that there is no real motivation behind the scene - it's purely there to get reader sympathy for the victim narrator and reader hatred toward the faceless bad guys.

I think you could improve the fight scene by increasing the narrator's reaction. At the moment, it reads kind of like a blow-by-blow: X punched Y, and then Z slammed Y's head into the ground, etc etc. What really makes fight scenes come alive, for me, is emotional and physical reaction. Having your nose broken really hurts - and also bleeds like hell. Pain. Impact. Shock. Fear. All this stuff is missing for me. I feel like I'm being kept at a distance from what the narrator is really feeling.

The dialogue tags are a little over-enthusiastic at times, I think. The tag "X said" is practically invisible, whereas "cried" and "shouted" and "began" and "explained" are not. Some of these tags are also redundant. If a line of dialogue is clearly explaining something, using the tag "X explained" is unnecessary.

I also had a plot logic problem when the narrator just casually moved in with a teacher. It seems horribly unethical and inappropriate for a pupil to move in with their own teacher. I'm also wondering where on earth the narrator's own family are and why the teacher doesn't seem to have even consulted them before arbitrarily deciding to steal their daughter.

Beware melodramatic dialogue: "The world knows nothing of my pain and yet it cries right along with me.”

The mini-scenes with Invisible Sam are very cool. The first one really perked up my interest. I'm not sure that I'm hooked enough to read on, but if I did, it would be to find out exactly what is going on with Invisible Sam.

Just a few thoughts.

Karsten




User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 5696
Reviews: 40

Donate
Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:49 am
darkangel_05 wrote a review...



hi there.

you build a suspense and i like it. it's a bit hard to get the point at first, because of lack of information... but i think its a good prologue.

keep it up and Godspeed.

-claron :D




User avatar
95 Reviews


Points: 5008
Reviews: 95

Donate
Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:40 am
telle_04 wrote a review...



hi, jules...

okay, about this one: i think, i'm a little confused with this kind of approach. you know, how quickly the story shifts, and then it was four years later..

well i guess you're right. there's still time for edition and details. i think the reason you left out details like Ryan's parents, or how she is related to these characters or why the boys bully her is because you wanted to build a suspense, and let the readers guess what is really going on. well, that's what i think.

the world knows nothing of my pain and yet it cries right along with me.

love this one.

feel free to pm me.

~telle :lol:




User avatar
106 Reviews


Points: 2209
Reviews: 106

Donate

User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 8831
Reviews: 202

Donate
Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:55 pm
Octave wrote a review...



Hey there, Jules! Here to review. First, the nitpicks.

Ryan’s antagonists grabbed her hair and pulled her head back.


Antagonists? I don't think so. Use another word, please.

They punched her in the face breaking Ryan’s nose and another punch led to a black eye.


It's just me, but I'm pretty sure black eyes don't happen immediately. They take a while to show.

“Hey!” cried a voice. “Let her go!” Frightened, the boys ran off. “Ryan, I figured it was you!”


"Frightened, the boys ran off." should be another line altogether. And then Ryan, I figured it was you...Okay. Maybe not. But this isn't working for me. It's kind of confusing. :?

After helping her up Ryan was able to get a closer look at her savor.It was Mrs. Carson from Hand-to-Hand Combat class.


As her savior helped her up, Ryan realized that it was Mrs. Carson from Hand-to-Hand Combat class.

The way you wrote it, it was as if Ryan was the one helping Mrs. Carson up. ^__^


“Here lean on me we’ll go get you looked at.” Ryan was in too much pain to argue so she did what she was told.


"Here, lean on me. We'll go get you looked at."

Ryan was in too much pain to argue, so she did what she was told.

“Oh hush, hush,” said Mrs. Rayon. “Somehow you managed to get five sharp rocks lodged in your back.” Mrs. Rayon was the local nurse, but she was uncanny at times. “Not to mention you have three broken ribs!”


Okay, error here. Five sharp rocks lodged in her back I can understand. Plus three broken ribs? She would be in too much pain to be coherent. She wouldn't have been able to realize who Mrs. Carson was, unless she lacked the ability to feel pain or something. And an injury that bad would drag you all the way to the hospital.

Ryan leaped off the swing landing firmly on her feet as if she had never been hurt. Looking at the stationary swing that had been next to her she began to pat its seat.


Not possible, no matter how strong the person is.

Ryan and Mr. Lanor were both soaked.


Hit pause. Didn't you say males were all called by their first names? Why is this guy called Mr. Lanor?

The world knows nothing of my pain and yet it cries right along with me.”


Eh? I don't get it.



OVERALL: Too much telling and not enough showing. However, I can tell that this story has potential. Ryan's character is interesting. Just cover up those plot holes up there, and those errors. ^__^

If you found this too mean/harsh/whatever, please don't. I'm sorry if it offended you. Anyway, happy writing!




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:28 pm
Horserider wrote a review...



“So much for never hit a girl,” thought Ryan to herself as they slammed her head pack into the pavement.


Thoughts are usually indicated by italics. I think '' marks and even nothing as long as its followed by a tag (i.e "I thought" "I wondered") but I'm not entirely sure on those two. Quotations marks are reserved for dialogue.

More description. We need to be able to imagine the scene. What do the "antagonists" look like? What does Mrs. Carson look like? What does her house look like?

“I’m going to change the world someday, Sam, just like you wanted.”


Who in the world is Sam???? That's something you should be telling us soon. Why did Sam want a teenage (I'm assuming she is) girl changing the world?

This definitely has the potential to be a great story. You've caught my interest which is good, but I also don't know anything. I know Ryan is a girl that's attacked by some guys. I know someone named Sam wants her to change the world. And I know Mrs. and Mr. Carson took her in and are now dead.

But I don't know why these things are happening. I don't know how it started. I don't know why the guys attacked Ryan, who Sam is, or what exactly happened to the Carsons.

Personally, I think either the beginning part of this chapter (before the 'four years later' part) could either be cut altogether and explained through the beginning of the actual story, or it could be fleshed out into the actual prologue and the 'four years later' part could become the beginning of the first chapter.

But since I don't know what the actual first chapter is, it's up to you :)




User avatar
582 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 582

Donate
Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:13 pm
KJ wrote a review...



"Ugh!” Ryan slammed to the ground, blood around her lips [Describe more here. Where is the blood coming from? Is there a cut on her lip? The sentence is just too abrupt] and pain in her stomach [Too vague, now. Give us a mroe detailed description of this pain. Is it aching? Pounding?] She groaned and turned over in an attempt to get up.


“Stay down, scum!” Ryan’s antagonists [Didn't Like this. You say Ryan too much as it is, and the whole 'antagonists makes it awkward] grabbed her hair and pulled her head back. They punched her in the face [Comma] breaking Ryan’s nose [Wouldn't she cry out in pain? Would there be any audible sound of the bone crunching?] and another punch [Vary up the vocab a little. Instead of 'punch' try something like 'blow' for added effect] led to a black eye.


“So much for never hit a girl,” thought Ryan to herself [Thoughts are in Italics, not made to look like dialogue] as they slammed her head pack into the pavement. [Uh, why isn't she fighting back at all here? She just lets them shove her head onto hard rock? And she's taking combat class?]


“Hey!” cried a voice. [Awkward. Just use something like 'someone cried'] “Let her go!” Frightened, the boys ran off. [They ran off that quickly, huh? Seems to me boys who have enough anger and spite in them to beat up a defenseless girl would scare a lot harder than this] “Ryan, I figured it was you!” [Shouldn't there be more alarm or concern here? I mean, Ryan's nose is broken and she's been beaten to a pulp. The casuality is out of place]


After helping her up [Comma] Ryan was able to get a closer look at her savor [I think you meant savior, not savor]. It was Mrs. Carson from Hand-to-Hand Combat class.


“Here [Comma] lean on me we’ll go get you looked at.” Ryan was in too much pain to argue so she did what she was told.


***


“Ow!” shouted Ryan. “Watch it!”


“Oh hush, hush,” said Mrs. Rayon [This name is too similar to Ryan, in my opinion. There are thousands of last names out there. Pick one. Any one other than this]. “Somehow you managed to get five sharp rocks lodged in your back.” Mrs. Rayon was the local nurse, but she was uncanny at times. “Not to mention you have three broken ribs!”


“Ryan,” began Mrs. Carson.


“Wha-ow!”


“Ryan, you’re going to stay with me while you’re still healing,” explained [Doesn't seem like an explanation. More like telling] Mrs. Carson. “That way those boys won’t get to you again.”


Ryan opened her mouth to protest.


“And no complaining!”


“Oh.” [Ryan is kind of... wimpy. Maybe you mean for her to be that way, but frankly, I find her passiveness annoying. Shouldn't she have a little more backbone, considering she's in some kind of combat class and she's a typical teenager living in our world?]

One more thing: Where is Ryan's family? Does she live in a foster home? If so, Mrs. Carson would have had to get permissionf rom her guardians to bring Ryan home with her, and they don't even know about the fight or whatever. If not, Ryan can't be homeless. First off, someone like Mrs. Carons probably wouldn't stabd for that, and for another, our system today doesn't allow children to be homeless. At least from what I know.

Just a couple things to think on.


***


“Ryan! I brought back dinner!” yelled Mrs. Carson. [This reminds me. Why didn't Mrs. Carson call the police and report what happened to Ryan? Those kinds of things are NOT taken lightly, and a normal adult would report it.]


“And desert!” [Dessert, not desert]


“Peter, that’s not for tonight.”


Peter was Mrs. Carson’s husband, but rarely was he called Mr. Carson. Everyone called him Peter as was dictated with every adult male in the nation. [This sentence is out of place. You're over-explaining things now. I don't care about why he's called by his first name, just what that first name is. And you already told us that.]

“Ryan!” Mrs. Carson shouted again. Walking into the living room, Mrs. Carson found a note on the coffee table.


Mrs. Carson-


Went out. Will be back soon. I promise not to get into trouble!


-Ryan [Note should be in Italics.]


Peter came over and read the note.


“She’ll be fine,” assured Peter.


“Yeah, I know, but I still worry.”


***


The swings screeched in the night as Ryan swung back and forth.


“Don’t worry. I’m working as hard as ever,” said Ryan into the night. “Wounds are what makes me stronger. A survivor. I promised I would reach our goal someday and that’s something I intend to keep.”


Ryan leaped off the swing [Comma] landing firmly on her feet as if she had never been hurt. Looking at the stationary swing that had been next to her [Comma] she began to pat its seat.


“I’m going to change the world someday, Sam, just like you wanted.”



***

(4 years later)


“Come on Ryan. There was nothing you could have done,” said Mr. Lanor.


“No!” Ryan screamed. “I could have been there. I could have saved them.” The rain poured down onto the street. Ryan and Mr. Lanor were both soaked.


“Now you’re just being ridiculous, I was being nice by lending you a hand but if you’re going to be like this, forget it. You’re on your own.” With those words Mr. Lanor walked away into the night. His steps were drowned out by the sound of water crashing onto pavement. [Rain doesn't crash. It pours, it drips, it lashes, but it doesn't crash]

Ryan just stood there for a while.


[Missing punctuation here] The world knows nothing of my pain and yet it cries right along with me.”


Ryan set out to the park. Upon arrival she sat down on the swing like she had done so many times before.


“Mrs. Carson, Peter, and even Little Jesse. They’re all gone, Sam. What am I going to do?” asked Ryan. “I’m all alone.”


Is this a short story? It's moving very fast.[/quote]

Overall, I think that you need more development in terms of description, characters, dialogue, and plot. You seem to have a good idea, and it's great that you've set out to work on that. Keep going. You show imagination and potential. Never stop writing.




User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Hiya! Sorry for being a little late.

Lets get shredding, shall we?

“Ugh!” Ryan slammed to the ground, blood around her lips and pain in her stomach.


This, as an opening line, does a half-decent job. I would nix the "ugh" as it feels rather unnecessary. You can replace it with "Ryan grunted/cried out/yelled when she slammed to..." I think that would act as a better hook.

What I didn't like so much here is it's rather unclear that she's in a fight. With the "blood around her lips" bit, I thought she was a vampire who'd just tasted some bad blood or something, lol.

The whole fight-scene in general could be expanded upon. We don't really get a sense for where she is, what she's feeling, what her emotions are about her teacher, all that good stuff. If you want to keep it vague, nix a lot of the emotion, but still add in a pinch. ;)

“Stay down, scum!”


Question: Can they get a little more original, maybe expand on this idea a bit?

Ryan’s antagonists grabbed her hair and pulled her head back.


Not sure how much I like "antagonists" here. I'd replace it with "tormentors" or something less, dare I say upper-class? The word just feels a little strong from my experience with it. ^_^

They punched her in the face breaking Ryan’s nose and another punch led to a black eye.


Minor grammar thing: I'd replace "and" with a period or a semicolon.

Not so sure how much I like the "telling" nature of this line. A broken nose and black eye come with pain. The nose would also come with blood. This is one location you could add in more sensory description for the fight scene.

“So much for never hit a girl,” thought Ryan to herself as they slammed her head pack into the pavement.


~ Thoughts are usually in italics or single quotes.

~ Is Ryan telepathic? If not, you can delete "to herself" since nobody else is really in your thoughts. ^_^

“Hey!” cried a voice. “Let her go!” Frightened, the boys ran off. “Ryan, I figured it was you!”


I'd like some sort of tag added on to "Ryan, I figured it was you!" and have it as its own line. Maybe the sound of running footsteps or something.

After helping her up Ryan was able to get a closer look at her savor. It was Mrs. Carson from Hand-to-Hand Combat class.


With this line, I find "cried a voice" a bit too vague. Wouldn't that have been a familiar voice?

“Here lean on me we’ll go get you looked at.”


I'd put a comma after "here."

Ryan was in too much pain to argue so she did what she was told.


~ I'd put a comma after "argue" to make this easier to read.

~ Again, a bit vague. Where was this pain coming from? How hard is it for her to stand/walk?

“Somehow you managed to get five sharp rocks lodged in your back.” Mrs. Rayon was the local nurse, but she was uncanny at times. “Not to mention you have three broken ribs!”


~ "Somehow"? Wouldn't somebody have told the nurse what happened? Or is that what the "she was uncanny at times" explaining? If so, that's not clear.

~ I'm wondering if we need her name. Does she show up again? If not, it's just unneeded info.

Everyone called him Peter as was dictated with every adult male in the nation.


The "with" in this sentence makes me confused. Shouldn't it be "by"?

I like the line, though. It's cute. ^_^

The swings screeched in the night as Ryan swung back and forth.

“Don’t worry. I’m working as hard as ever,” said Ryan into the night.


"Into the night" is a bit repetitive here.

“Wounds are what makes me stronger.


Shouldn't it be "make" for present tense?

Ryan leaped off the swing landing firmly on her feet as if she had never been hurt.


Time-line please? It's hard to know that she'd be fine if this is six/seven months later. I'm assuming this is soon after the fight?

On a related note, wouldn't Mrs. Carson notice if Ryan was suddenly better?

said Mr. Lanor.


And Mr. Lanor is who? You never really tell us. ^_^ (Or is that the point?)

The world knows nothing of my pain and yet it cries right along with me.”


Missing a quote in front of this, if it is dialogue.

and even Little Jesse.


We never got a mention of him before.

*

Characters: Ryan as a character... she's okay. I know this is just the prologue, but I'd like more of her feelings. I don't find I'm "clicking" with her. (It's hard to tell your MC is a her, though. With the amount you use her real name) Nothing is really described for us to love or hate her. She's just there.

Come the end, with all the first-time character mentions that seem to be important, it's hard to understand. The prologue was rather solid before that. After, we're just left wondering, who are all these people, and what happened to make them close?

What I got: That the MC lives in a world near to our own in structure (with the language and the mention of the nurse), she rarely gets close to people, she has a protective spirit that comes when she's at the park and... I'm thinking the main goal is she's going to find all the people who hurt her friends/family and hurt them.

If I'm right, I'm happy, but I had to think on what was shown. It's not really clear.

Detailed with more info: A touch of emotion on Ryan's part would help us get more detail without giving away too much. Show us more of her hurt, brush-off attitude (I got that from her jumping off the swing with no injuries), a few more bits of her personality.

Overall: I liked the kind of "vacuum" style here. We don't get much detail and I liked that. Since it's really just about the MC, I'd like to see more into the MC's head. Emotion and physical feeling would make this shine. I find some ideas could be expanded on slightly, and maybe make it a touch clearer what her relationships with people are.

Questions? PM me!

~Rosey




User avatar
95 Reviews


Points: 2401
Reviews: 95

Donate
Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:11 pm
ZaddieCaso wrote a review...



Firstly I would just like to say I did like this piece alot, it drew me in very quickly and I couldn't keep my eyes of the page but there are a few things you need to change

-You use Ryan way to much in this story, try balancing out by writing she sometimes instead. I think you use Ryan about 7 times in the first paragraph alone.

- This piece isn't very descriptive. You could do so much with the description here, especially with the park scene. Give us a little bit of her appearance and surroundings because at the moment it is a little still, almost 2d.

- Halfway through you change Ryan's sex from girl to boy.

- In the park scenes, where she is talking to "Sam", give us a little bit more. Maybe have a brief flashback or some vague sense of who he is to her without revealing anything major.

I do think this has a lot of potential but it needs work, I would love to see the edited prolgue of "alone" and the first chapter.

feel free to pm me if you have any questions

izzy




User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 5588
Reviews: 94

Donate
Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:02 am
Eliza:) wrote a review...



thought Ryan to herself as they slammed her head pack into the pavement.

Pack should be back.

After helping her up Ryan was able to get a closer look at her savor.

Savor should be savior.

“Here lean on me we’ll go get you looked at.”

There should either be a comma or a semicolon after me.

Ryan was in too much pain to argue so she did what she was told.

There should be a comma after argue.

Ryan leaped off the swing landing firmly on his feet as if he had never been hurt.

You called Ryan a he.

:arrow: Characters There were many characters that are still mysteries to the reader. Who is Sam? Who is Mr. Lanor? Who is Little Jesse? No one knows who they are. It makes the story very confusing.

:arrow: Ryan's family You never explain why Ryan doesn't with her family. Why does she live with Mrs. Carson and Peter? You never explain this part.

:arrow: Setting The setting seems to be set in present time, but when you mentioned the males being called by their first names, it didn't seem like it was. Try to describe the time a little bit more.

:arrow: Overall Overall, the story is good. The ending is exciting, and makes people want to read more. If you just add some detail, it will be great.




User avatar
106 Reviews


Points: 1361
Reviews: 106

Donate
Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:15 am
nixonblitzen wrote a review...



Bonjour, Jules. Let's start out with the nitpicks.

“Ugh!” Ryan slammed to the ground, blood around her lips and pain in her stomach.
It's probably just me, but when I read "ugh", I think of somebody scoffing in disgust. Maybe another syllable would make it sound more like Ryan's having the wind knocked out of her? Such as "gah", perhaps?

They punched her in the face breaking Ryan’s nose and another punch led to a black eye.
You need a comma after "face". I think "another punch led to a black eye" sounds awkward. Could you rephrase it? "Another punch would reveal itself in a shiner later." Hmm, I don't really like that, either.

After helping her up Ryan was able to get a closer look at her savor.
"Savor" should be "saviour".

“Here lean on me we’ll go get you looked at.”
Comma after "here". I think you should break this into two senteces with a period after "me".

“Somehow you managed to get five sharp rocks lodged in your back.”
GROSS! (sorry)

“And desert!”
Should be "dessert".

Everyone called him Peter as was dictated with every adult male in the nation.
This is the only sentence that drops an obvious hint about the social context of the setting. Maybe it could be a little less obvious? It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ryan leaped off the swing landing firmly on his feet as if he had never been hurt.
WHY IS RYAN NOW A "HE"?

“I’m going to change the world someday, Sam, just like you wanted.”
WHO IS SAM?

“Come on Ryan. There was nothing you could have done,” said Mr. Lanor.
Who is Mr. Lanor?

The world knows nothing of my pain and yet it cries right along with me.”
I believe you are missing some quotation marks at the beginning of this sentence.

Okay, now that that's behind us: this is very interesting. I'm confused. I want to know more.

About the structure - it doesn't seem like a prologue. I don't know many prologues that are written in short episodes over a span of four years. It seems like the story should start where you started the prologue, with Ryan getting beat up, and have much more information. Maybe I'd feel differently if I knew the plot of the novel. What is going to happen? Because it feels like a whole novel-worth of plot has already happened in the prologue. Does that make sense? PM me for clarification.

So, not too many errors. Good start. I can't wait to read the next part.
-rachel




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:08 am
liadonwriter92 wrote a review...



Wow, this looks like it could be a really great story. There was a just one part that confused me. Is a Ryan a boy or girl? Because in your story, you used both genders, so just watch out for that. But that's about the only thing that confused me. I really liked the part about Mrs.Carson when she stopped Ryan from complaining, like she knew that Ryan was about to. I enjoyed reading it. Keep it up and you will have a really great story that people will enjoy to read.





If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White