A Burwood Tale - Prologue

by joshuapaul

This is the first chapter of a Novella I am currently writing. It is aimed at early teens. Please be brutal with your critique.

One

Christopher Jarvis often wondered how he would die and now he knows. In the boot of his mothers car he is bound and gagged and would soon be murdered and there was nothing he could do.

Sprayed with rust, and now, with chains laced around the wheels, the short red hatchback races along an icy stretch of road somewhere between Arthur’s Range and Cularc City. Desperate he tenses hard and kicks the roof of the boot with his heels, he does it again and again and again and his legs hurt but he keeps kicking. The driver turns the dial on the radio and whistles loud along with the late night muzak.

Christopher begs but his screams are silenced by the greasy rope in his mouth. After a few moments the car slows to a halt, a door opens, a chain rings and a gate swings ajar, the door closes and the car moves forward. For fifteen minutes, he endures sloshing and sliding up steep climbs and bobbing tyres around sharp turns. His wrists sear against the cable ties and his ankles rub and burn.

Why god why me? Please save me, please save her? Please!

The car purrs to a halt then silence. The thumping starts again.

A door opens. Foot steps crush towards the trunk. The trunk pops and Christopher shakes and writhes and a great leather hand closes around the back of his neck, and another picks him by his belt. For a moment he is in the air then dropped onto the hard snow. The writhing becomes violent. He kicks hard and his screams are muted. He squirms and spins until a cold boot presses into his back and he becomes still. He cries and begs his captor. The rope entwined around his feet tightens and he begins to slide.

Over snow a man tows a body leaving a smooth trail that will be covered soon by the next dump of snow. His grip is tight and he feels warm.

For five minutes snow collects beneath Christopher’s jacket. His feet drop. A key scratches into a lock, and a door creaks open. His neck is squeezed and his belt becomes tight and he is lifted and dropped, this time it is harder and is accompanied with the unmistakable thud of wood. The door creaks sharply into a slam and the crushing footsteps recede into silence.

The car ignites and whistling sounds again. He eyes himself in the rear-view mirror and his pale lips stretch into a smile. Loose ends are tied and his job is almost done. Speeding along the Burwood highway his hands grip the wheel tight in excitement as he plots just one more project to be carried out tonight.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:26 pm
MagnusBane wrote a review...

My biggest question is, why should readers care about this Christopher kid? There's nothing in here that makes me want to sympathize with him. He's a flat character, and there's really nothing I can identify with with him. You need to add more character description. What does he look like? What's his personality like? Now, I know that this is just the prologue, so we don't need to know everything about him, but some more description would be nice, just so we can emphasize with him.

I would also recommend switching the tense, for the reasons that the people above me already stated.

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:20 am
emmylou1995 wrote a review...

Okay, very confusing near the end.

Unlike asxz, (And one more thing: Why would the captor just leave him there? You have some questions to answer!), I feel like a prologue is supposed to make you ask questions. Not overwhelming questions, just a few to start out with. I also learned from my writing teacher that a large percent of people do not even read prologues. So, do not add anything too important to the story. Just enough so that the people who read the prologues will have some questions to answer.

Well wrote, except for some of the things the members above me said.
PS. Loved the first chapter!

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:43 am
brassnbridle wrote a review...

This is just my opinion, but I think you should change to past tense. We speak in past tense and past tense reads easier and smoother and often makes more sense. Feel free to ignore this comment, but stories written in present tense always annoy me because it makes them seem awkward and choppily written. But that's a pet peeve of mine. Overall, I thought you wrote nicely and have a good story going here- just watch that you don't get run-on sentences.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:40 pm
Cotton wrote a review...

Hi! I'm going to start with this was interesting. You were very detailed, and that's good because I'm tired and can't be bothered to imagine. But I didn't have to, since you've described it all. Wonderful!
Just a couple of general points, that I might point out below but might not. Who knows? Firstly: your phrasing and punctuation is quite off all the way through. I'll point out most of them and suggest how to improve, but just read through a few times, looking at the sentence structure analytically and ask yourself, How could I make this easier to read and understand? Because it was hard to read, since I was trying to work out what you meant and improve it as I went along (but I do this with novels as well, so don't worry! it's probably just me lol). Secondly, towards the end you flip between the captive and the captor. I found it confusing, so maybe consider ways to make it clearer?

I'm now going to be nitpicky...

It's been pointed out above, so I'm just going to give my suggestion: "Christopher Jarvis had often wondered how he would die - and now he knows. In the boot of his mother's car, he is bound and gagged, soon to be murdered and there is nothing he can do about it."

I would have it like this:
Spattered with rust and with chains laced around the wheels, the short red hatchback races along an icy stretch of road somewhere between Arthur’s Range and Cularc City. Desperate, he tenses hard and kicks the roof of the boot with his heels. He does it again and again and again, and his legs hurt but he keeps kicking. The driver turns the dial on the radio and whistles loud along with the late night muzak. (If you're using "muzak" as slang, which I think you are, I would have it in italics so the reader knows you know it's slang)

After a few moments the car slows to a halt, a door opens, a chain rings and a gate swings ajar, the door closes and the car moves forward.

These sound like two separate sentences - have a full stop, or a semi-colon after "ajar".

His wrists sear against the cable ties and his ankles rub and burn.

Maybe, "His wrists and ankles chafe painfully against the cable ties, and they feel like they're burning." Or something.

The car purrs to a halt then silence.

"The car purrs to a halt - and then there's silence."

His neck is squeezed and his belt becomes tight and he is lifted and dropped, this time it is harder and is accompanied with the unmistakable thud of wood. The door creaks sharply into a slam and the crushing footsteps recede into silence.

I would suggest: "His neck is squeezed, his belt becomes tight and he is lifted and droopped; this time it is harder... The door creaks sharply before slamming shut, and the crushing sound of footsteps in snow recedes into silence."

I guess you get the idea. All in all, it looks like you've got a good idea here, and I'm sure that in the following chapters you'll make it your own (because while this was interesting, it's not entirely original).
Keep it up! PM me with any questions or if you want me to review future sections!
~*cottonrulz*~

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:59 am
asxz wrote a review...

Hi JoshuaPaul! I noticed that you commented on one of my chapters, so I'm here to return the favor! Just a quick side note though, GO NEW ZEALANDERS! (The computer's dictionary doesn't even count that as a word... lol) But yeah, there are quite a few of us here on YWS, so hopefully we shall take over one day!

Okay, so back to the reason that I am here! Nit-picks first:

Okay, so this is your opening paragraph, and presumably the first thing that readers will encounter in your book. A good opening sentence should be something that a) Draws the reader in, b) Makes sense, c) Is grammatically correct (along with the rest of the book), d) Is catchy, and sometimes, e) It will describe the scene. You have a few of them... Okay, you said to be brutal; it only has two. A+E.
Your grammar is a little off, all throughout the piece. It should look more like this, once you have corrected it:

Christopher Jarvis often wondered how he would die; and now he knows.

Of course, you could use a comma instead, but I like using semi-colons (where is probably shouldn't) Your choice :)

Now, maybe it isn't fair to say that it doesn't make sense, but if you pair it up with the proceeding sentence, then it throws me off a little:

Christopher Jarvis often wondered how he would die; and now he knows. In the boot of his mothers car, he is bound and gagged and would will soon be murdered and there was is nothing he could can do.

Now, doesn't that look a little better? You switch tenses through the first sentence, and then a little later in the piece. Just look at the words I have bolded; the first sentence is saying he used to think about it, and now he knows. That is fine.
The second sentence is saying he was bound and gagged... you get the point?

Now, onto the rest of those first-sentence-rs: Grammar, I just corrected that. Catchy-ness... now I am not going so far as to say that it is not catchy, but just the catchy-ness is not there. Maybe it's just because I have read so many book with something along those lines as a first sentence, that it lessens the impact.

Scene-setting: We know, from this short passage that he is in a car boot. My Questions: Why his mother's car? Why is he bound?
These are good, I want to keep reading.

Sprayed with rust, and now, with chains laced around the wheels, the short red hatchback races along an icy stretch of road somewhere between Arthur’s Range and Cularc City. Desperate, he tenses hard and kicks the roof of the boot with his heels,. He he does it again and again and again and until his legs hurt, but he keeps on kicking. The driver turns the dial on the radio and whistles loud along with the late night muzak.

Hmmm... still some grammatical errors, I see? I just fixed them up for you. I also noticed that you used some place that I have never heard of. This might just be because I am geographically challenged, but if it is in a fantasy world, I would leave that detail out for now. Maybe put that in sometime later. One more thing about this paragraph, and no doubt you have heard it many times before; Show, don't tell!
Okay; so showing and telling... the age old dispute. It's hard, I know. but you have to picture yourself in the scene. Telling, as you have done in this paragraph, is not good, but as you have done in the first paragraph, it is. This is because it adds impact in the first paragraph (even though it is a little cliche of an impact), in the second, it does not.

You could change this by: adding emotions to the character (an thereby making him seem more life line) and; adding sounds and feelings to the environment. Instead of:
Desperate he tenses hard and kicks the roof of the boot with his heels, he does it again and again and again and his legs hurt but he keeps kicking.
Make it more sensual. Like this:
Desperate, he tenses his muscles, and kicks hard at the boot door with his heels. The whole car shakes slightly with the impact, but it is hardly noticeable on the shingle road. He tries again, forcing himself to move in what little space he has. After a while, the skin around his ankles is so rope-burnt that he is sure some bone must be showing, but he continues to exert himself. The ever-dwindling oxygen supply makes it harder and harder to breath, but he knows that his hours are numbered anyway.
it adds feeling to the character, and makes him more three-dimensional.

Okay, now I know that I have only reviewed two paragraphs, but that's all that needs to be done. I'm not going to re-write every you have, just to give you commas and descriptions. Re-read over it yourself, and add a comma where ever you stop for a second. If there is ever a moment where it says: he did this, and then he did that. Then this happened (of course, more specific than that, but you get what I mean), then you should put yourself in the shoes of the character, and describe what you feel/see/hear/taste/smell...

One more thing: The overall!

okay, so the plot of this is a little weird. I completely got what you were saying until you say:

A door opens. Foot steps crush towards the trunk. The trunk (You shouldn't have the word 'trunk' written twice) pops and Christopher shakes and writhes and a great leather hand closes around the back of his neck, and another picks him by his belt. For a moment he is in the air then dropped onto the hard snow. The writhing becomes violent. He kicks hard and his screams are muted. He squirms and spins until a cold boot presses into his back and he becomes still. He cries and begs his captor. The rope entwined around his feet tightens and he begins to slide.

First of all; he is out of the car, and the captor is trying to get him to stop moving. that is all I understand though. Why does he close a leather hand around the back of this neck? Shouldn't he try to puck him up by his feet, the only thing that isn't moving fast enough (Just an opinion bu the way) because then he won't be able too kick at the captor's hands? Why does he writhe? I always thought of writhing as being in pain. I would suggest you change it to squirming, because then he isn't in pain, but it explains what he is doing (trying to get away from the captors hands).

I don't like it how you say his screams are muted. Again this is just a personal preference, but shouldn't he not even get to scream because of the gag? You say that earlier, as well.

The rope entwined around his feet tightens and he begins to slide.

What? He begins to slide where? Down the mountain?

I don't get this either, to be honest. Try re-word it or something, I can decipher the meaning after a few times of re-reading, but I shouldn't have to. Also, the last sentence shouldn't be there it is irrelevant to the subject of the paragraph.

Hmmmm... first paragraph of the two should be more sensual, and the second paragraph smacks the reader flat on their face. Who is he? How can Chris hear the car straight away, even though it was a five minute walk... how can he hear the whistling? Perhaps you should make it whistling of the wind, and creaking of the wood. How can snow collect UNDER Christopher jacket... shouldn't it fall on top?
And one more thing: Why would the captor just leave him there? You have some questions to answer!

Uh... I think that's all I really want to say. I liked the plot though... it was definitely confusing at the end, but overall it would make a good prologue. Feel free to PM me with any questions, or when you put the next chapter up. I want to read more about this, but just watch where you could/should put commas to make it easier to read.

Thanks for writing!

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:53 am
olivia1987uk wrote a review...

Hi Joshuapaul...

I'm going to read the first chapter straight away so I promise to give you my comments on that as well...

The tense worries me...he "wondered" but now he "knows"...stick to the past tense...it's a lot easier to write in and allows the narrative voice to be more omniscient...

Perhaps have a look at this and give it a rejig...I know the whole thing, bar that first "mistake" is written in the present tense but I don't think it allows the piece to flow as well as it could. Otherwise I like your style although I'm quite confused as to where you are going with this but hopefully time, and more excerpts, will tell!

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:39 am
joshuapaul says...

No that's fine I asked for a brutal critique. The story is aimed at early teens so there is little else that can be said here all I want the reader to know is a boy is kidnapped, the driver is driving his mothers car, and he is taken to a cabin, essentially this is a prologue and I should have titled it as such. It is important to the story as it ties it together when I eventually get to the end. You may be right but it is difficult - for me anyway - to write in a way that appeals to a young audience and still maintain the appeal, I chose to dive into action rather then setting a story because when I was young the books I prefered and still read now and again today apply this approach. Perhaps quote the text to clarify your critique?

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:13 am
Syte wrote a review...

I'm not usually this brutal, but I have no idea what's going on are why I should care. I'd rather know what this story was going to be about straight from the go rather than wonder "why should I read this?" You described a crime scene, but there are thousands of action books with identical crime scenes as these. You need to tell the reader why they should care about your book and what makes it special, and as early as possible, I think.

The sun can square up and fight me. Apollo is just another bi disaster, and I could take him.
— AlmostImmortal