z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

My Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

by jordynlp03


On

Off

On

Off

On

Off

No, it's not off good enough

Repeat this 17 more times

OCD?

No it's not a bad thing to have

It's a thing horrible to have

You feel like your are going out of control

Your brain

Your body

No one can stop it

Not even you

What's wrong with you we are asked

I can't explain it to you

I can barely explain it to myself

Each day a constant struggle

"Am I going to be late to school"

"Is someone going to see me doing the things I do"

" If they find out will I still be loved"

Thoughts that happen

Because of our illness

Yes It is an illness

Just like anorexia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder

It's not as bad as those?

Think again

OCD is just as serious as those

The thing is that it's overused

People are misinformed

Unaware of the effects of this disorder

It kills, destroys, breaks down, and suffocates

It doesn't seem like that is what it feels like

You're making this up

Believe what you want

Sufferers of this are just great at hiding it

I've stayed in my shell long enough

This is who I am

I want to make a difference

Raise awareness

I'm tired of the phrase being misused "I'm so OCD, my room is so organized"

No you have a side effect that can come with OCD

You wouldn't want to say this if you knew everything that is in your head

Day in and day out

That's making this disease seem not as serious as it actually is

I've battled this since I started 4th grade

I've had ups and down

I cried in the car every day because I didn't think I could handle it anymore

Psychologists are sometimes needed

People bully me for some stuff I do because of my OCD

Panic attacks

It's a tough life with OCD

I’m scared of telling people what it is

What I do

The rituals people with OCD do

Will they make fun

Will they distance themselves from me

Will they be scared of me

What I do

Every. Single. Weird. Thing.

The same thing everyday day

Counting... Counting... Counting

Thoughts that invade our minds

Don't make jokes about our illness

It leaves us with scars that we will hide and hold onto

The rest of our lives

It’s hard enough as it is

Am I over reacting

You might think so

No matter what the illness is you can't make fun of it

Don't say anything at all if you don't exactly know what it is and how it affects people around you

OCD is not an adjective

I have written this to hopefully inform people not to make light of a persons mental illness because you don't think it's bad

Trust me, it is.

They are just good at hiding it


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 288
Reviews: 18

Donate
Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:53 am
View Likes
PenPacifist wrote a review...



Hi! PenPacifist here for a review.

Before I dive into your poem, I would like to say as a fellow mentally-ill person, I thank you for writing this poem about OCD yourself instead of some Tumblr obsessed indie who thinks mental illnesses are cute. I see way too much of that in today's society, and I have had absolutely enough of people who think mental illnesses are quirky and romantic writing about mental illness and silencing those of us who actually have mental illnesses.

This was an amazing poem. It showed us what life with obsessive compulsive disorder is like. You highlighted your difficulties in a way that was a slap in the face each time. This is a good thing. The fact this poem is so brutal is so important because people need to stop taking OCD so lightly. OCD is not a need to be neat, OCD is a mental illness.

Thank you for writing this poem. Thank you for sharing your story. Hang in there.




jordynlp03 says...


Thank you so much, I really appreciate the positive feedback on my poem. that is the exact reason I wrote this poem, to show people that taking this topic lightly is not the right thing to do, and to inform them so that they may not do it again. I made it into a poem to add a little bit of creativity to it so that readers may find it enjoyable to read. Thank you again!



User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:46 pm
View Likes
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, jorda! Casanova here to do a review for you!

Okay, so the first thing I noticed about this was is that it'ss about OCD, and I appreciate that. I have OCD, and this poem really strikes home for me. Anyway, on to the review.

The next thing I noticed about this poem was the repetition. Now, I understand with OCD you're going to clean and organize and live your life repetitively, so I can understand the want to include repetition into the poem. But, I feel as if this becomes too repetitive, to the point where it's not adding anything to the poem. It's giving us the feeling of,"Okay, we get it." and nothing more than that.
The next thing I noticed was the bluntness. You're not using poetic devices to make us feel anything, you're just giving it to us bluntly, and I didn't like that too well. I would suggest playing around with images and your emotion, trying to find your half point that makes it work. Here it comes off as if you're ranting about your life, and I don't find that to be the best poetry. Play aorund with it and cut the narration. Not entirely, just down a bit because we have a lot of,"I," statements which really don't make the reader feel anything towards the narrator and the poem.

Anyway, overall I think if this was edited a bit you'd have a really good poem idea.

That's all I have to say on this one, and I hope it helped at least a bit.

Keep on doing what you're doing and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:33 pm
View Likes
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Kaos here for a review!

So, this poem is topic-based, on OCD, and it shows that it's topic-based. By the end of the poem it just becomes a full rant rather than a poem and if you want to write poetry, that's not the way to convey your message that you're trying to get across. It's a valid message, sure, but when you're blatantly and bluntly stating everything directly to the reader, there isn't anything to interpret or hide, and that's your greatest weakness. Interpretation is one of the only things that the reader gets to do in a poem, they get to fill the empty gaps in the shoes of the speaker. Don't tell us everything, leave some things open for us to fill in for ourselves because right now there's nothing really for us /to/ interpret. It doesn't act like a poem, it acts like an emotional rant in the form of poetry.

Near the beginning of the poem this part isn't as apparent or showing and it more focuses on the actual topic rather than just you, which I assume to also be the speaker, speaking about the topic. It lacks poetic elements and devices. Something that I suggest for you to do is to read other famous poets and try and deconstruct what they're doing in your mind and why they're doing it well. This is a poem that lacks emotional impact and imagery. Let's talk about emotional impact. Your poem is filled with what seems to be anger and I want to compare this to slam poetry and spoken word. Slam poetry is something that's usually more angry and is spoken aloud, usually focusing itself around a topic or point to try and get that point across, I don't happen to like it /too/ much.

Spoken word is softer and less angry in trying to get a point across and often focuses more on imagery. Imagery is something that I wanted to bring up as well. Instead of telling us everything, (Show don't tell applies in poetry as well) show us through imagery and metaphors and similes, everything of that sort. Right now you don't really /have/ a lot to describe or go off of, but there are a lot of possibilities for OCD like the on and off in the beginning and maybe the ticking of a clock.

There are also metaphors and similes that you can use to your advantage, where you can find one and then keep expanding on it, but make sure it applies and defines the poem. I think breaking this up into stanzas would be beneficial as that would keep it neater than it is here. It would also help organize the thoughts and images of the poem to kind of break it into parts.

I hope I helped and have a great day!




User avatar


Points: 84
Reviews: 4

Donate
Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:28 pm
View Likes
everfloof says...



This is a very interesting and heavy piece, I live with slight OCD myself and I know how distracting ad hard to live with it is. As for critique, the grammar is a bit off, but it's a passionate rant and I would encourage more content!




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 373
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:30 pm
rohan says...



I could not read the whole thing because of numerous grammatical errors, especially using your instead of you're and using capital letters where they should be small and vice versa.
My tiny OCD kills me when I see such things.
Proofread it once so that it can be readable!






(I think this comment is a bit of an over reaction. Also, the author made some very valid points on the conventional misuse of the term OCD. This site is a welcoming place- please don't find things that bother an author and use them against the author just because you can. It's extremely rude.)



rohan says...


I did not mean to be rude. These were the point of improvement that I think must be tackled especially when the poem is on OCD. YWS is indeed a great site, but that doesn't mean keeping mum about things which can be improved. Hope the author understand the intention of the comment!




It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
— Mark Twain