Destined

by jls1638

Here's the first chapter of a book that I started a while ago and didn't touch for a while. Want to know if people think I should continue with it and what you think.

As I bolt up in my bed, I can’t stop my heart from racing. I am covered in sweat wearing my boot-cut jeans and blue T-shirt, but I feel as though my heart is going to beat out of my chest. I am torn with the realization that with my twenty-first birthday might have come with an early grave assignment. I can still feel the pain of my feet hitting the rocks of that stupid dirt road that I was running on trying to get away from those things. As I attempt to blink away the haze in my eyes and fear in my soul, my heart slows with the realization that I am now in my bed. While laying on my twin size bed under my solid blue comforter, I slowly replay the dream in my mind hoping that it was in-fact a dream instead of my fate finally catching up to me.

I was sitting in my room, on my bed in jeans and a solid blue T-shirt, talking to my sister over the phone, when the phone went dead. I thought it was strange but didn’t really think much of it so I decided that I was just going to call her the next day since it was already four in the afternoon and I had class at five despite the fact that it was my birthday, I still had responsibilities. So I went to grab my books for Psychology and leave early. I got up off my bed and looked around in my dorm room. While there was nothing on the floor to indicate disorganization, it was clear when you looked at my rectangular desk, on the opposite side of the room, that I only organized things that were absolutely necessary. As I took another step towards my desk to go grab my Psychology book and laptop, there was a blurring of the colors around me forcing me to close my eyes to hopefully prevent the inevitable dizziness bound to come, but when I opened my eyes I wasn’t in my room and the realization that luck wasn’t on my side was apparent when I stood looking at the view of a Colorado mountain road came into focus.

It was isolated from all civilizations with a fifty foot drop down the side of the rocky tree infested mountain side to my left, and an eighty foot incline to the top between white ash trees and huge boulders that could be knocked loose with a minuscule change in pressure, to my right I decided that my only promising option would be to follow the badly maintained dirt road that I had been so graciously dumped on at the most in opportune time. In hope that I would find civilization of some sort, I started walking and soon realized, with the stabbing of rocks in the bottom of my feet, that I am not wearing shoes. With the incessant pain in my feet I can’t help making a mental note to always wear shoes, because you never know when you’re going to randomly be transported out of your bedroom without any warning what so ever.

After what felt like hours, but couldn’t have been more than twenty minutes, I heard the crushing of gravel and rock coming from behind me. I walked a little slower and silenced my steps to try and gauge the distance it is behind me and maybe hear if it is a person, animal, or maybe a car. As I am listening it is clear that it is another two-legged being with shoes on. Instantly, I think it is a human being, because what else would be out here that would be wearing shoes right? With this analysis I decided to turn around with the intention of getting directions to the next town, so that maybe I can get back to Louisiana and explain to my psychology professor why her student missed class again and hope that I can come up with some kind of lie that sounds more logical than what actually happened because come on who is going to believe that I accidentally transported myself to Colorado. When I turned around though, it wasn’t exactly a Homo-sapien that I saw.

I don’t know what I would call this thing, it looked to have the basic anatomy of a human but last time I checked humans didn’t have glowing sapphire blue eyes that were slotted like a snake. While this guy was hot with the dark hair, perfect nose and smooth tanned skin, and not to mention the tight jeans and black button up shirt that stuck to his flat stomach, I wasn’t too sure I was going to trust someone that had glowing eyes and seemed to be following me. He was the first one to talk and when he did, I knew that I was in trouble with him saying in a low uneasy voice “Where do you think you’re going.”

With that one line I bolted in the opposite direction. There are two things that you never do, one, trust someone that says that to you and two, go against your instincts, and my instincts were screaming danger. When I was nearly out of breath I tried to concentrate on the sounds behind me and attempted to hear what I assumed would be the pounding of footsteps behind me, and when I didn’t hear any I stopped. Leaning my back up against a tree on the side of the road that I just ran down, I try to catch my breath, and analyze my options, but after only two heaving breaths I hear that same voice from behind me ask in a whisper “Did I scare you?” As I feel the breath of the blue eyed being behind me, I stiffen. My body freezes as I attempt to quiet my breathing and slow down my heart beat. I know it is right behind me and probably knows where I am, but I can’t help but cling onto the hope that I am hidden. With my mind racing I attempt to assess the situation and get a grip on what is going to happen. I don’t realize the being moved until it is standing right in front of me, watching me intently.

With a quick intake of air, I am staring straight into the eyes of something that, I can only rationalize, wants to enjoy the sensation of power that comes from killing another being. We stood there while time slowed to an almost frozen state. With everything in slow motion all I can see are those eyes. I am staring straight into the eyes of a creature and the only thing that I see is a primitive need to destroy. With that I know that I am lost and decide that I won’t give it the satisfaction of hearing me scream and plead for my life. While I was lost in my thoughts of what its intentions might be, I didn’t notice it moving closer, until it was mere inches from me and my vision was limited to the face in front of me. It’s wasn’t until the creature looked to the side that I realized that he was not the only one here. As sounds slowly flittered back in I heard them start talking. I looked over to the one that caught my attacker’s attention, noticing that this one had the same snake like eyes as my attacker but his were green, and he was wearing dark boot cut jeans with a black button up shirt. While he is just as handsome with black hair and bangs that just barely cover his forehead, I couldn’t help but wonder if my death had just become absolute.

“What are you doing now John?” The green eyed one asks. So that is the name of this thing that chased me. Now I know his name, not that that helps anything.

“Just having a little fun, why, come to rat me out Andrew, or do you want to have some fun as well?” John replies, and with that I decide that I really don’t want to be in the middle of this.

“You know that you are not supposed to torment the humans, especially gifted ones. You may believe that our race is superior, John, but there are still rules and our society is hinged on people following them, and that includes us royalty.” Andrew scolded John, further infuriating him. John took a step towards Andrew, effectively got further away from me and allowed me enough space to be able to bolt in the opposite direction when I need to. Slowly I watched John, as I made a few minute steps in the opposite direction giving me ample space to run and not be pulled back. When I was sure that my minuscule movements went unnoticed I fled in the opposite direction with only one thought in my mind. Escape. As I was running along the dirt road that previously led to my demise, I became painfully reminded of my shoeless state, and attempted to push past the agony of every excruciating step. As my feet pound against the road I can feel the blood oozing from the soles of my feet and pray that I am close to civilization. Then closed my eyes for a millisecond and prayed that I had lost him, and that he was too busy to notice my sudden disappearance.

That’s when I opened my eyes and found myself in my bed. I looked at my LED Digital alarm clock on the dresser by my bed and noted that it was eight o’clock at night. I prayed that it was only a dream. My hopes were shattered when I threw my covers off of myself, and set my feet on the floor, because when I picked my feet back up again there was my proof. There were spots of blood on the floor where my feet were only seconds ago. With that confirmation, I knew that my life was no longer my own, and I was destined to die.

To be continued . . .

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 am
Brunnera wrote a review...

This is a really nice story, even for the first chapter. I'm looking forward to reading the rest, so my answer is yes, you should continue it! Obviously you're an experienced writer because of the usage of your words and descriptions in the story. They were detailed, suspenseful, nerve-racking-- you totally know how to capture the reader into your own world. Do continue this, I'm looking forward to it.

Sunshine1113 wrote a review...

Sunshine1113 here to review.....

Wow, like wow, this story just blew my mind. I'm dying to find out what happens next. (The pun was non intended.) I don't really have any corrections for this other than the fact it was a little confusing and I got a little lost with the first couple of paragraphs. I just felt a little overwhelmed with the details in a couple of places. You did give a good visual of everything though. You should really countinue with this story, I would like to read more of it. You could really make an awesome story with this. Awesome job! :)

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 am
ahollander wrote a review...

WOW, um just wow. At first I didn't really know what was going on, but as I kept reading I started to get it. I wouldn't worry about that its probably just me that had that problem. I really like this when I got to the end i was like WHAT! he's going to die. I think you should keep working on this i'm really interested in this there's a lot of things you could do with this story. :)

jls1638 says...

Thanks I see where it could be confusing so I don't think it's just you but I figured that the confusion made people want to read farther. I haven't looked at this is about a year and didn't know if I should do anything with it or not so thanks for your reply.

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson