z

Young Writers Society



Perfection- Intro

by jessicarabbit


“Mommy, Daddy, look at me!” The little girl bounced down the stairs with the energy that only a six-year-old can have.

Her parents, who had been standing by the kitchen sink with their morning cups of coffee, discussing their plans for the day, turned around to see what their youngest child had gotten into. They both gasped in mild surprise.

“Michelle, what do you think you’re doing?” her mother said.

Michelle spun around, modeling the baggy jeans and over-sized t-shirt that she had stolen from her brother’s room. Spinning around again, she said, “They fit me good, Mommy. Can I wear them to school, please?”

“Of course not!” Her mother replied. Michelle’s father stood beside her quietly, his arms crossed. “Those belong to Bryan. He will wear them. I laid out a nice dress for you already. Now put your dress on and give those back to your brother.”

A look of shock and then frustration passed over the girl’s face. Her brown eyes took on a sad puppy look and her lower lip stuck out. She started to whine. “But I hate dresses! I want to wear pants like my brothers! None of the girls at school have to wear dresses all the time! It’s not fair!” She stamped her foot, but the long pant legs covering her feet muffled the sound.

Michelle’s parents glanced at each other and sighed, frustrated but determined not to give up. This time her father stepped in. He scooped up his only daughter and sat down at the kitchen table with her on his lap. He pressed his lips into her soft brown hair, the same color as his. “Sweetheart, you’re not like the girls at school.” His voice was soft and gentle, the voice of a loving father. “You’re our perfect little angel and we want everyone to see how beautiful you are. Now, please take those pants off. They don’t suit you. Your mother laid out a beautiful dress for our little angel to wear-”

“I hate dresses!” Michelle screamed as she tried to wriggle out of her father’s grasp.

“I know you do, Sweetheart.” Her father grunted as he tried to hold on to his frustrated child. “But you’re a good girl, and good girls wear pretty dresses.”

“Then I don’t wanna be a good girl! I don’t wanna wear dresses anymore!” Michelle had stopped whining and started yelling.

“That’s too bad, Honey.” Her father said as both parents struggled to remain calm. “Because they look nice on you and you will keep wearing them.”

“No I won’t!”

Her parents gasped. Both were shocked by their daughter’s defiance. She had never openly refused them before. Her father grabbed her arm, not to hurt her, but to let her know he was serious. “Yes you will. End of discussion.”

“No! You can’t make me!” Michelle screamed, as she kicked her legs, and flailed her arms.

That was the last straw. Michelle's father bent her over his knee and spanked her. He then stood her on her feet and, pointing towards her bedroom, yelled. “Put your damn dress on!”

Michelle stood in front of her father for several seconds, speechless; he had never raised a hand to her before. She turned and slowly walked back upstairs, occasionally tripping over the long pant legs. As she reached the top step, she could hear her father whisper to his wife, “We’ll turn her into a lady yet.”

As she wandered back to her bedroom, Michelle struggled to hold back the tears. It’s not fair, she thought to herself, my brothers get to do whatever the want and I can’t do anything fun, ‘cause I’m a girl.

She was tired of baking cookies and playing with dolls. She wanted to go fishing and play soccer with her brothers, but her parents always said, “Good little girls don’t do that.” Michelle was so sick of hearing that. She didn’t want to be a ‘good little girl.’ She wanted to have fun.

She stopped and stared at the frilly purple dress lying neatly on the perfectly made bed. I can’t wait ‘til I grow up. Then I can do whatever I want and no one can stop me.

She took off the jeans and shirt and put her dress on, not bothering to smooth out the wrinkles like she usually did. She was determined to have that small victory. She sighed, wondering what her life would be like when she was grown up. Michelle wanted to be a doctor, or maybe and astronaut. Her oldest brother, Paul, told her he wanted to be an engineer. She wasn’t quite sure what that was- Paul said it was too complicated for her to understand- but she figured that if he could do it, so could she. She knew for sure though, that she did not want to be a stay-at-home mom, like her mommy. Michelle was determined to have fun as a grown-up.

Renewed by her own pep talk, Michelle answered her brother’s yell of “Where the hell are my clothes?” by marching into his room and throwing his jeans in his face.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:33 am
jessicarabbit says...



I wanted to show how Michelle was figuratively smothered by her parents, and developed into a self-concious, shy, and (for lack of a better word) boring adult. I was planning on making references throughout the story back to this chapter and her childhood in general.

btw, thanks for rescuing this from page seven. (sigh) my hero!

Jessica Rabbit




User avatar
438 Reviews


Points: 2999
Reviews: 438

Donate
Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:33 pm
JFW1415 wrote a review...



Well, there's nothing more to say after Sam's review, but there is one thing she didn't have.

How does this tie into your story?

I've read the next chapter, and I didn't need to know this at all. Sneak in little parts about it in later on chapters. Also, if she's too afraid to even talk to a guy, how is that having fun as an adult?
If you must keep this, just tie it in a little bit better. It seems a shame to trash it, though, it's so well written.

Wow! I saved this from the seventh page! :P




User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 72

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 2:12 pm
AndNeverAgainx3 says...



yes, i do really like it =]] noice beginning!!




User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 1840
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 12:35 am
Loose wrote a review...



This was good. Youve got enough critiques but that wont stop me.

I agree with Sam, well the first thing they said. The first line needs a bit more grab. But other than that it was great. I cant wait for the next part ;)




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Sat May 26, 2007 12:26 am
Sam wrote a review...



Hey, Jessicarabbit!

I really, really liked this story- you've got a very easy, flowing style, and of course...you have an awesome girl character in a world where most of them are lackluster. I salute you.

Of course, it'd be highly unnatural for me to read something, even something so cool as this, and not be overly critical, right? :wink: Here are a few things I thought could use a little looking-over:

THE FIRST LINE: Is good, but doesn't exactly strike me. Seems like just another naïve, bouncy, cute, etc. wonder child who makes all the endearing mistakes- getting peanut butter stuck in their mouth so they can't talk, for example- on your favorite family sitcom. Not good, when you're trying to make a feminist down-with-conservative-parents statement.

What you want is something that sets the stage for the odd conformatism [is that a word? Huh...] that follows. Something that'll really show how boring and uptight the parents are.

This is how I'd do it, personally:

Mr. Jones and his wife sat at opposite ends of the table, eating breakfast silently. Every once in awhile one of them would clear their throat to speak, but find nothing to say.

"Stocks are up," said Mr. Jones at long last, feigning a smile.

Mrs. Jones returned the gesture with an equally false grin. "Wonderful!"

They went back to eating quietly, until there was a loud rumble coming from the staircase. "Mommy! Daddy! Look at me!"


And so on. It doesn't have to be over-the-top, just something that establishes the setting early on. When you're working with oppression, it's a good idea to show us how terrible things are before the great revolution- same thing with this story. What's their world like without Michelle, and how to they try to make her fit their mold?

REALISTIC CONFLICT 101:

Read this over, quickly:

“Michelle, what do you think you’re doing?” her mother said.

Michelle spun around, modeling the baggy jeans and over-sized t-shirt that she had stolen from her brother’s room. Spinning around again, she said, “They fit me good, Mommy. Can I wear them to school, please?”


This, like your first line, is good. It fits, it's written with elegance, it seems like a normal six-year-old. But it doesn't make sense psychologically- why would a kid who's being sworn at for dressing like a boy waltz in and ask to wear the clothes to school?

This segues into another point- you need realistic antagonists. It's also one of the reasons I suggest you start out with the parents: you need to make them real before you make them go completely insane. If we only see them as completely insane, it's more like a cartoon than a realistic story.

Often, a parent might chuckle, embarrassed, if their child does something that's mildly offensive to them. That could be something you include in the scene- perhaps near when the mother asks what she's wearing.

In order to make it seem appropriate for the character, you might want a bit of stalling time- time that she's in the clothes, modeling them- before she asks if they can wear them to school. Most parents will do the embarrassed-chuckling thing if their boy puts on a dress (and possibly grab the camera), but will respectfully veto the idea if he wants to go to school in it. A kid's pretty keen on it. If she really thought the clothes looked good, she'd want to make sure her parents appreciated how cool it looked before asking the Question of Possible Doom.

Now put your dress on and give those back to your brother.


This line struck me especially because he's referring to it as a 'dress' twice. It's only drawing attention to the unfairness, which isn't good when you're going for the oppression thing. That would make it sort of whiny. Just refer to it as 'clothes' or 'an outfit'- and besides, what father dresses his daughter? That's just weird, from a reader's point of view.

“But I hate dresses! I want to wear pants like my brothers! None of the girls at school have to wear dresses all the time! It’s not fair!”


This is a bit blunt for our little sweetie- it sounds a bit clichèd, anyway. When the reason for the cross-dressing is for personal gain (ergo, you are not Mulan, or Jacky Faber), try to focus on one argument at a time. People who cut their hair off with samurai swords often have much more complicated reasons, ones which they have thought over- a girl who just wants to wear pants hasn't.

Kids aren't exactly into the whole 'peer pressure' thing yet, either, especially at so young an age (my little brother paints his nails, for example). That's why it sounds a little strange to have her ramble on and on about other people, when, according to Dr. Spock, small children are often self-centered. Have Michelle ramble about herself, and it'll be a lot cuter. What practical reasons would she want to be wearing pants? For play? Because she spills food on herself? Because she's insecure about her figure? ...maybe not. But you get the point.

The rule of thumb for any oppression happening to the characters in your story is make it realistic.

- Every bad guy has a motive. Hitler didn't go after the Jews because he felt like it- he needed a scapegoat to blame his country's economic troubles upon. No matter how twisted the reason, they need one.

- Bad guys are people, too. They have hopes and dreams and, quite possibly, friends.

- Victims of oppression are worn down after a time. They get used to it. Going back to World War Two, the masterminds behind the Warsaw ghetto uprising are one in a million- it takes quite a bit of strength and brainpower to do something like that. Michelle needs a bit more cunning in order to be realistic. :wink:

- "A girl who feels she has to prove she is as good as the guys" scores five points on the Mary Sue Litmus Test. I'm just sayin'. It's got to be subtle, or else it just seems odd- there are so many good stories that use this same idea, so there's a lot to live up to. I'm certain you can do it with your mad writing skills- but it's going to take everything you've got to make it original. You can't just rely on your awesome Michelle character, because, believe it or not, all the characters have to be as cool as her. Not joking.

However, I liked the line "She wanted to have fun as a grown up"- that's the sort of thing that could really fuel the conflict without much clichè. She doesn't want to be like her parents.

___

I hope you don't think I'm overly negative...but once I get ranting, there's no stopping. *sigh* If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me.

Do the same if you post another section. I definitely want to see how Michelle throws off the shackles of oppression. :wink:




User avatar
566 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 566

Donate
Fri May 25, 2007 6:05 pm
miyaviloves wrote a review...



Yeah I did like this aswell, but I think that you could make it even better :D

Some of the sentences seem a little too long:

Her parents, who had been standing by the kitchen sink with their morning cups of coffee, discussing their plans for the day, turned around to see what their youngest child had gotten into.


- This one especially, I think the discussing the plans for the day bit could be cut out, It's not really needed and it dosen't add to the story, I just feel that it could make this sentence flow better.

Other than that I enjoyed it very much. I think that you have the start of something good here if you plan to contiue it?

All the best,
Meevs
x




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 15

Donate
Fri May 25, 2007 5:41 pm
jessicarabbit says...



Wow, thanks everyone! :D I'm glad you liked it. I think it's the best chapter I've written. (I've written about four chapters in this story).

To give you a sneak peak, the next chapter takes place about 20 years later. The intention of the intro is to show how Michelle developed as a result of her childhood. I hope i do it justice, because I'm currently struggling with the main character and i'm worried that i may be exaggerating her personality. Hopefully it all works out.

As for the lack of spelling mistakes, GOD BLESS SPELL CHECK!!!!! :mrgreen:




User avatar
252 Reviews


Points: 2816
Reviews: 252

Donate
Fri May 25, 2007 11:37 am
Insomnia wrote a review...



Hey Jessica. :) I liked this, it was really well done. And I am interested to see what sort of person she would become. But you actually made that really realistic. Made me glad my parents aren't as suffocating lol.

But like the others, I couldn't find any mistakes. Depressing, really. And you're new lol!

Anyway, good job on this.

-Mat :)




User avatar
497 Reviews


Points: 6400
Reviews: 497

Donate
Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 am
Teague wrote a review...



This is like... the story of my life. Seriously. O.O

I really enjoyed this, and I'm hard pressed to find any mistakes... You show good control of your characters, and they're quite realistic. It's all very well-developed and I've found no spelling or grammar errors, which I'm darn good at.

You're a diamond in the rough among newer users. Excellent job, and I can't wait to read more. ;)

-Saint Razorblade :elephant:




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 35

Donate
Thu May 24, 2007 11:04 pm
Lilith wrote a review...



I love it. From the first read I gave it, I didn't see any mistakes at least. Its well put together and I want to see more as soon as possible. She sort of sounds like me when I was younger, rude demanding and pouty. Expecially about dresses. I'm a jeans type of girl. :P





Never use your shield as a dinner plate, for that is when the enemy is most likely to attack.
— The KotGR Commander