z

Young Writers Society



Perfection- Ch. 1

by jessicarabbit


Note to new readers: There is an introductory chapter titled "Perfection-Intro" It is not necessay to the story, but it provides a little background info.

---------------

Michelle’s deep brown eyes followed the stranger in white. “Is that the new doctor?” she asked.

“Of course it is. Just started Friday.” Kimberly Larsen replied, sipping from her coffee cup. “What do you think?”

The two nurses were standing in a vacant hallway of the Beaverlodge hospital, enjoying a morning coffee break and watching the people go by. Michelle Brock tilted her head to the side and examined the doctor as he chatted with the receptionist. He was tall and solid, with broad shoulders and thick arms. He looked like he belonged in a lumberyard or the oilfield. His hair was a very dark blond and although it was slightly longer than what this conservative Alberta town considered normal, it was neatly cut and it suited him. His face was a little too round for her liking, but his smile was warm and his blue eyes were intelligent.

“I don’t know.” Michelle said nonchalantly, “You’ve worked with him. What’s he like?” Michelle had been visiting a cousin for the past week, so this was her first shift with him. She had spent the morning doing paperwork, which is why their paths had not yet crossed.

Kim smiled. “Very polite. Professional. Good bedside manner.” She shrugged. “What more can I say?”

Michelle raised a perfect eyebrow. “A lot.”

Kim grinned. “He’s single.” Her excitement was obvious.

Michelle rolled her eyes. Kim saw any new guy in town as a potential boyfriend. Whenever there was a fresh male face at the hospital, she would always try to catch his eye. “Cool it, Kim.” she said. “You try too hard. You’ll look desperate.”

“Well, at least I’m trying.” Kim replied. “I haven’t resigned myself to spending every night alone.” Quickly realizing the harshness of her words, she said, “Sorry, ‘Chelle, that was low.”

Michelle shrugged it off, apparently unfazed. “I just haven’t found the right one yet.”

“And you never will if you don’t look.” Kim nudged her friend. “Go introduce yourself. I think he’ll like you.”

Michelle glanced at the doctor for a moment then turned away. “He’s busy.”

“No one’s ever busy around here. Go. Strike up a conversation.”

Michelle stood up from the wall on which she had been leaning. Her posture was rather stiff. Although she was only slightly above average height, she towered over her short companion. “You know that I believe the man should always make the first move.”

“Believe me, I know.” Kim said with more than a little exasperation in her voice. “And I think that that is such an outdated ideal. You have wasted so many opportunities.”

Michelle straightened her shoulders, making her look even more rigid. “That’s how I was raised.” She said defensively.

Kim sighed. “You’re twenty-six years old, Michelle. No one pays attention to what their parents taught them after they turn sixteen.” She leaned over and put her hand on Michelle’s arm. “I’m just a little worried about you. I don’t want you to end up alone.”

Glancing down at Kim’s hand, Michelle replied in her usual calm, even voice. “Would that be such a bad thing?”

Kim withdrew her hand. “Well, I guess not,” she said with hesitation. “If that’s what you really want.”

Michelle shrugged and took a quick sip of her coffee. “I enjoy my privacy. If Mr. Right comes along, that’s great. If he doesn’t, then I’ll be fine.”

Kim contemplated Michelle’s words as she finished her coffee. “I guess I can respect that,” she said. “It’s not for me, but to each her own.”

Michelle smiled. “Good.” She turned back and looked at the new doctor, who was talking to a patient in the nearby waiting room. Both looked at ease. “So, does this tall, dark stranger we now work with have a name?”

Kim burst out laughing. “I can’t believe I forgot to tell you! Jeff Baker.”

Michelle nodded thoughtfully, eyes still on the doctor. She then glanced at the clock. “Well, back to work.”

Kim checked the clock for herself, then stretched. "Man, time flies when you're checking out the fresh meat." She laughed when Michelle scolded her.

The two women washed out their coffee cups and put them away. Then they made their way down separate hallways. Neither noticed the doctor look up just in time to see the fluorescent light reflecting off Michelle’s brown hair; nor were they aware of him staring down the hallway after her.

------------------

What do you think? I appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, especially regarding Michelle. I had a really hard time getting her personality right. This is my third or fourth draft, and I think I finally got it, which is good because I was on the verge of insanity. :twisted:


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:10 pm
jessicarabbit says...



Oh, my gosh! I'm not the only person on the planet who loves ER and thinks Luka Kovack is the sexiest doctor ever!!!! :D Comparing my doctor to Kovach is such a huge compliment. (I'm gushing! :oops: )

Thanks for the advice, I really struggle with dialogue. I feel weird if i don't mention every little thing my characters are doing at each specific moment. I worry that the readers will get bored from a lack of description. Trying to break that habit. Although I've always wanted to write a screenplay... Oscar, here I come! :wink:

Thanks for the reviews, you guys are my heroes!! :D

:mrgreen: Jessica Rabbit :mrgreen:




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:55 am
Sam wrote a review...



Hey again, Jessicarabbit!

Ooh, this chapter was very good. I liked how you established your characters quickly and painlessly- there's Michelle, who's very set in her ways, and Kim, who's a crazy social opportunist. They get along well together...they've got chemimsty. There's nothing worse than two characters who wouldn't get along in real life barging in on a perfectly good story.

And then there's the mysterious doctor- the guy who reminds me a little of the European guy on ER. ('Yum' is the only word for it. :wink:)

There was one thing, though- you know how it seemed a little dull, even though they were both shooting the breeze?

Read over your dialogue again. For every new line of chatter, there's a tag- that is, an action or a he said, she said type thing. That's not good.

Pay attention to yourself when you're having a conversation with someone. Do you move around a lot? If you're like me, then you sit in one place and occasionally shift, but not much.

And besides- dialogue is supposed to be a perfect version of real-life conversation. You don't have to put in every sneeze, blink, and shudder...otherwise, it begins to read a little like a screenplay.

There's this really creepy English teacher, I forgot from which book...but my favorite quote of his is "Make words your slaves." He's got the right idea. When you're writing dialogue, you want to make impressions with your words so that they keep working after you've said them, and you don't have to reiterate.

Am I making any sense? Probably not...

It really was Tiffany Rochester, in the flesh, in the greasy, blonde flesh. On the verge of tears, I whispered, “How long has it been? You’ve been gone for ages…”

“Four days.”

“Four days? Only days and not weeks? Oh my God-“

“Idiot,” she hissed, pulling me out of the cell. Her keys dangled from around her waist and frequently clattered against fellow metal to make an annoying sound. “You’re a terrible prisoner, honestly.”


Okay, so this is a very old draft and I hate it. But I think it's a rather good example of making words my slaves- you can tell from what the characters are saying that one is in hysterics, and the other is an annoyed onlooker. Which one is panting and leaping about, and which one is scowling?

If I'd put it in directly which one was howling, or every time that the guy jumped, it'd read pretty slowly, right?

So, when you're revising, make those words your slaves. Your readers'll thank you for it. :D




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:38 am
jessicarabbit says...



I loved how you guys both called the one paragraph an info dump. :lol: I can take a hint!

Seriously though, very constructive reviews. Thanks! :D
Jessica Rabbit




User avatar
438 Reviews


Points: 2999
Reviews: 438

Donate
Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:17 pm
JFW1415 wrote a review...



*Cracks knuckles*

Alright, I'm going to give a MAJOR review. Why? Because this is so good, it's not fair to it not to point out the tiniest thing that will make it perfect. These are all just my own opinions, though, so feel free not to listen to them. :P Also, I'd just skip to the end if you didn't want a major ego-deflation...lol

Michelle’s deep brown eyes followed the stranger in white. “Is that the new doctor?” she asked.


Too many adjectives in the first paragraph. It kind of pushes the reader away.

“Of course it is. Just started Friday.” Kimberly Larsen replied, sipping from her coffee cup. “What do you think?”


The 'of course it is' seems mean of Kim. Later on you show her being kind and friendly to Michelle, so it's kind of a sudden change of her personality.

I like how you showed Kimberly sipping coffee, though. If allowed me to get a good visual of her, even though you haven't told me that much. (Just from that, I pictured two nurses, standing by a receptionist desk, one sipping coffee, leaning against a wall, very relaxed, the other looking at a doctor as he walked around the doctor's office.)

The two nurses were standing in a vacant hallway of the Beaverlodge hospital, enjoying a morning coffee break and watching the people go by.


Most people know what a doctor's office looks like, and can gather that they're on a coffee break by what you said earlier. You don't need to tell us this. It restricts the reader's ability to imagine what's happening.

Michelle Brock tilted her head to the side and examined the doctor as he chatted with the receptionist.


Earlier, we were on a personal level with her, and now you've added her last name. If you want to slip that in, have someone call her 'Miss Brock' or something.

He was tall and solid, with broad shoulders and thick arms. He looked like he belonged in a lumberyard or the oilfield.


Drop the first sentence. It just tells us what you show us in the next one.

His hair was a very dark blond and although it was slightly longer than what this conservative Alberta town considered normal, it was neatly cut and it suited him. His face was a little too round for her liking, but his smile was warm and his blue eyes were intelligent.


Whoa! Info dump. Add these tiny details in slowly. How you did it here will bore the reader.

“I don’t know.” Michelle said nonchalantly,


Switch the comma and the period, and you'll be golden. (Wow. Did I seriously just say that? :shock: )

“You’ve worked with him. What’s he like?”


If she's speaking nonchalantly, why does she care what he's like?

Michelle had been visiting a cousin for the past week, so this was her first shift with him. She had spent the morning doing paperwork, which is why their paths had not yet crossed.


We get it; their paths haven't crossed yet. Cut this down to one sentence.

Good bedside manner.


Am I just an idiot for not understanding this? lol

Michelle raised a perfect eyebrow. “A lot.”


The word perfect kind of takes away from this sentence.

Her excitement was obvious.


You show us this when she grins. Drop it, or make the sentence more exciting.

Kim saw any new guy in town as a potential boyfriend. Whenever there was a fresh male face at the hospital, she would always try to catch his eye.


A little repetitive. Try cutting it down to one sentence.

Quickly realizing the harshness of her words, she said,


Please, show us, don't tell us. Do her eyes widen? Does she bite her lip? Anything? Also, I suggest saying 'quickly added' here, instead of said. It seems like a good space to spice up that word.

“Sorry, ‘Chelle, that was low.”


Love the nickname! And I like how it shows that they are pretty good friends, not just co-workers.

“And you never will if you don’t look.” Kim nudged her friend. “Go introduce yourself. I think he’ll like you.”

Michelle glanced at the doctor for a moment then turned away. “He’s busy.”

“No one’s ever busy around here. Go. Strike up a conversation.”


I'm starting to get a sense of many different things here, without you flat-out telling me. One, I think that Michelle is shy and unsure of herself. Two, I think that Kim is a good friend and pretty confident herself. Three, I think that their hospital is pretty slow (Which, you did say, but still...) and isn't in a place like New York, where it would be constantly busy. Good job!

Michelle stood up from the wall on which she had been leaning. Her posture was rather stiff. Although she was only slightly above average height, she towered over her short companion. “You know that I believe the man should always make the first move.”


Show us that her posture was stiff. Maybe she rolls her shoulders a bit? Cracks her neck? Also, you don't need to call her companion short. If an average-height person towers over her, then she is short. You show us, so no need to tell us.

“Believe me, I know.” Kim said with more than a little exasperation in her voice. “And I think that that is such an outdated ideal. You have wasted so many opportunities.”


*Claps* Love this part!

Kim sighed. “You’re twenty-six years old, Michelle. No one pays attention to what their parents taught them after they turn sixteen.” She leaned over and put her hand on Michelle’s arm. “I’m just a little worried about you. I don’t want you to end up alone.”


Two parts here sound awkward to me. One-the 'after they turn sixteen.' I'd drop that to just 'as a teenager.' Also, the 'leaned over' part. I'd drop that, without adding anything. It doesn't do anything for the scene.

Kim contemplated Michelle’s words as she finished her coffee. “I guess I can respect that,” she said. “It’s not for me, but to each her own.”


I'm probably just being an idiot here, but the 'but to each her own,' sounds strange to me. I had to read it three times to fully understand it. :oops:

“So, does this tall, dark stranger we now work with have a name?”


Dark? I thought he was a blond...

Kim burst out laughing.


I like that she laughed, but the way she did seemed a little...over the top. Try to tone it down a tad.

She laughed when Michelle scolded her.


Scolded her makes it seem like Michelle said something. Try to pick a different word.

OVERALL:

All in all, I loved this! I can't wait to read more. Please PM me when you write more!

~JFW1415




User avatar
497 Reviews


Points: 6400
Reviews: 497

Donate
Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:52 am
Teague wrote a review...



I liked this second bit here, it flows very well. The dialogue is a bit on the flat side, but it is also true that they're just shooting the breeze over coffee, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. The narration was good for the most part, and I've pointed out a few things below. :D

jessicarabbit wrote:The two nurses were standing in a vacant hallway of the Beaverlodge hospital, enjoying a morning coffee break and watching the people go by. Michelle Brock tilted her head to the side and examined the doctor as he chatted with the receptionist. He was tall and solid, with broad shoulders and thick arms. He looked like he belonged in a lumberyard or the oilfield. His hair was a very dark blond and although it was slightly longer than what this conservative Alberta town considered normal, it was neatly cut and it suited him. His face was a little too round for her liking, but his smile was warm and his blue eyes were intelligent.


This paragraph here is an info dump. After a while the reader becomes disinterested and you lose them. I'd find a way to shorten it a bit to the bare necessities, no more than two- maybe three if you do it with tact- sentences. ;)

“I don’t know.” Michelle said nonchalantly, “You’ve worked with him. What’s he like?” Michelle had been visiting a cousin for the past week, so this was her first shift with him. She had spent the morning doing paperwork, which is why their paths had not yet crossed.

Hmm, the dialogue here leaves me in a bit of a grammatical fix. The first part of her dialogue seems like it was broken off to put in her name and the speech tags, and then continued with the second part, but was all the same sentence. So either the comma should be a period or "you've" should be decapitalised, which I just made up btw. =D


Michelle straightened her shoulders, making her look even more rigid. “That’s how I was raised.” She said defensively.

The period after "raised" should be a comma, and "she" should have a small "s."


Overall, good job, I enjoyed reading this and I can't wait for more. ;)

-St. Razorblade :elephant:





People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
— Leo J. Burke