11 Best Resources for Perfect Writing and Editing

by jessicafreeman

If you started reading this article, you’re probably interested in improving your writing and editing skills. Not hard to tell. Now here’s a question for you:

Whenever you write and edit, how much exterior help do you leverage? If you didn’t understand the question, I am referring to the resources and tools that you might be using in order to improve your writing and editing performance.

I know so many writers that were never curious, or never took the time to find some ways to help themselves. Good writers understand the importance of the quality they bring to the marketplace, and they’re also careful with how they manage their time.

Writing quality content could be considered a trait of a writer, but let’s not forget about the speed with which the work is done. Editing is also a fundamental part of any writer’s activities. A text which contains quality ideas and concepts is nothing if it contains grammar, spelling, or other mistakes.

Let me get straight to my point: If you want to improve your writing and editing, you must take advantage of several digital tools and resources. These tools are basically add-ons that can be leveraged in order to improve any writer’s life. Most of the times, they solve time-consuming writing and editing tasks.

Let’s take a close look at 11 best resources that will help you perfect your writing and editing in a matter of minutes after accessing them:

1.HemingwayApp

If you want to offer good content, you need to make it very readable. That means no complicated sentences, no hundreds of verbs in a sentence, and no repetitions. HemingwayApp helps you see which of your sentences are hard to read, very hard to read, and what alternatives you have for different words and expressions.

For example, the sentence you’ve just read is very hard to read. I made it so in order to emphasize how annoying some texts are.

2.ProWritingAid

ProWritingAid is a complex editing software that can be integrated in your MS Word application, can be used online, and it can also be downloaded separately on your desktop.

ProWritingAid looks for passive verbs, vague words, excessive use of verbs and adverbs, spelling and consistency, and much more. This tool requires a premium membership, and it’s definitely a smart investment for any writer who wants to fix most of his writing “cons”.

3.Word Counter

No matter what type of texts your write, you always need to count your words. Of course, Microsoft Word has this option too, but Word Counter comes with more features. After you copy-paste your text, the tool shows you the level of your writing (according to their algorithms) the keyword density, and the average reading time of your text.

4.Cliché Finder

Clichés are pretty annoying for the reader’s eye. Professional books and texts do contain some clichés, but their appearance is very rare. You might be writing clichés without even being aware of it, so taking advantage of a special cliché finder tool is necessary.

You can access this tool online, and it’s free too. Copy-paste your text and click the button. In a few seconds, you’ll be able to get rid of every cliché that you’ve used.

5.Grammarly

As you’ve probably guessed, Grammarly helps you find grammar and spelling mistakes. I believe that Grammarly is the best application of this kind, even though the marketplace is filled with them.

After you insert your text in their panel, the tool will go through all of your text in a matter of seconds, and it’ll find grammar and spelling mistakes. The tool suggests you what to edit, and it also brings possible better versions for different phrases and words.

6.Online Consistency Checker

As the name suggests, the tool is mainly looking for consistency issues throughout your text. It doesn’t take care of most of the features that other writing tools do, so it’s rather an “add-on” tool that you can always take advantage of.

Upload your text document, download the report, and find out your content’s consistency level.

7.Copyscape

Most of the texts are now published online. Because of that, us writers must pay attention to the level of uniqueness of our content. If we use exact phrases that are already on the web, Google will perceive it as an act of plagiarizing. Duplicated content will always draw penalizations, and that’s never good for your activity!

Copy-paste your content into their box, and find out which of the keywords and phrases from your text need to be modified in order to appear “unique”.

8.Australian Writings

If you find your writing duties exhausting, or if you don’t have enough time to deal with editing too, you should start investing money instead of time. That means that you get the choice to let somebody else take care of the tasks that you don’t want to take care of anymore.

AustralianWritings is a professional content writing and editing service that never disappointed me. They’re always on time, affordable, and very professional!

9.Trello

Trello is an efficient organizing application that can be accessed on both Desktop and Mobile. You can create projects, to-do lists, tasks, and much more things. In addition, you can allow other people to access your dashboard, in case you need someone to edit or proofread your content.

10.Dark Room

Dark Room is a quite unknown digital tool. Basically, when you open the application, you will see only dark. That means that you won’t have to deal with distractions while you’re writing. No word count, no proofreading, no nothing.

If you’re like me, you’ll love the simplicity it brings! This app has helped me focus more on my activities and get more writing done.

Conclusion

Find the time to make a list of potentially helpful tools. Start with the ones presented throughout this article, and continue with others in time.

You don’t have to use them all, but rather just some that are truly saving time and effort. Each writer is different, so you should analyze your own writing pros and cons before deciding which tools to use.

Author Bio:

Jessica Freeman is a freelance writer. She is interested in traveling and online learning. She enjoys writing on education, technology innovations, and blogging tendencies. Find out more about Jessica’s work by visiting her blog: topwritingtips.com.au. You can also follow her on Facebook and Google+.

Kazumi wrote a review...

Hello Jessica, I'm outvaders coming in for a review on Review Day. I can see that you're a bit new to this place, so heres's a belated welcome to YWS! It's a pleasure providing you with your first review. Alright, let's get into the beef.

Overall, this is a very solid essay. It's informative, clear, and well-structured. Any writer would find this essay of yours very helpful, since it refers to a lot of writing tools. However, it doesn't come with some flaws. Although this essay does many things that an essay should do right, there are also some things it does wrong.

The first thing I want to criticize is how you constantly refer to yourself in the introduction. This includes the usage of first-person pronouns, even though the essay could do well without them. The reason why scientists write in passive voice, use past tense, and avoid first-person pronouns in their scientific reports is because they want maximum clarity for their target audience. Their audience doesn't need to know about the scientists in their reports; all they need to know are the results of the experiment. Writing in the active voice and using first-person pronouns is counterproductive to that goal, because it muddles the clarity of their reports.

The same applies to this essay. This essay isn't about you. This essay is about the resources, and you'd want to introduce them to the viewers. So really, it isn't necessary to put yourself in the essay so much.

You may ask why I'm using first-person pronouns in this review, even though I say not to. Well, this is a sort of informal essay, in contrast to your formal article. And besides, I'm not too into non-fiction writing. So I'm adding a trace of subjectivity to it, as a soft reminder to take my review with a pinch of salt. I have a feeling I might be wrong about this.

Next thing I'm not so fond of is how the manner in which the introduction is divided into paragraphs. The introduction starts off with the hook, which is a question. I think it is alright to let it have a paragraph of its own. However, it confuses me why the link was divided into two paragraphs. The first says that "Good writers understand the importance of the quality they bring to the marketplace..." The second says that "Editing is also a fundamental part of any writer’s activities." They are actually related topics. Editing does enhance the quality of their works. If done right, they could be squeezed in one paragraph.

Now, let's move on to the supports. I'll dedicate one paragraph for each support that I have problems with.

In the HemingWayApp support, you mentioned in one sentence that the sentence that came before was "very hard to read." The first time I read it, I didn't see your point since it didn't seem so hard to read to me. I think that you need to elaborate on how it's "hard to read."

In the ProWritingAid support, you mentioned that this program isn't free. That is actually a turn-off for many writers. Thus, you have to be persuasive about it in order to encourage them to try it. My suggestion is to mention from the very beginning that this program is not freeware, then balance it out with its advantages. However, it isn't enough to change the structure of the paragraph. You have to explain what is so special about this paid program that isn't found in any other freeware in order that I may be encouraged to buy it.

In the Cliche Finder support, the word cliche is undefined. It's a buzzword in this paragraph. What kind of writing cliches are you talking about? Cliche tropes in storytelling? That's not what you're talking about for sure. Kindly define what cliches are in the context of this support. The topic sentence is absent as well.

In the Grammarly support, you mentioned that is the "best application" of its kind. However, the features of the program that you mentioned sound like the features of any other spellchecking program. Kindly explain in detail why it's the "best application" of its kind.

In Online Consistency Checker, it's the same as the Cliche Finder case. I don't really know what exactly consistency is in writing, so please explain what it means. It's a buzzword that begs an explanation.

In the Copyscape support, the topic sentence is absent.

In the Australian Writings support, the topic sentence is at the last part of the paragraph. It should be near the beginning.

In the Dark Room support, it leaves the readers in the dark because of its lack of clarity. By seeing "only dark," does that mean that your entire computer will be blacked out? How in the world will I write then? Boy, I'd rather shut down my computer if that's the case. Kindly explain in detail how this works.

Also, where is the eleventh resource?

Lastly in the body, let us move on to the conclusion. The conclusion lacks the restatement of the thesis statement, and its clincher doesn't end the essay very well. As you end, it's important to restate the thesis statement again in the end conclusion so that the reader is reoriented as to what exactly the essay is all about. As for the clincher, it's boring to say the least. Can't you end the essay on a more encouraging note? The ending line doesn't resonate at all.

Despite all of what was said, this is a very good essay that does many things right. Through this essay, I can tell that you are experienced in non-fiction writing. The first thing I'd like to praise is how well-structured this entire essay is. The three parts of the essay are present: the intro, the body, and the conclusion. The intro is further divided into the hook, the link and the thesis statement. The body paragraph is divided into ten supports, most of them having their topic sentences and supporting details. Although the conclusion lacks the restatement and a strong clincher, it's not a complete dealbreaker. I appreciate the care you put into the outline of the entire article.

Next is your utilization of the writing tools of the YWS platform. There are hyperlinks, boldfaced letters, headers, and even an accompanying picture! Truth be told, these tools aren't really used a lot in this site. You really did your research and made sure you used everything this website gives you to the fullest.

Last is the author biography at the very end. I think this is the cherry on top of a delicious parfait-essay. It's simple, but it's a statement that says so much about you and your experience in writing essays and articles. I've never seen something like this on the website. It's imposing, in a way.

All in all, your essay on some of the best writing programs and tools is a strong essay. Although it has some flaws, it makes up for it with its smooth execution of good non-fiction writing principles. To be honest, essays are very rare here in the Young Writers Society. However, it has so much potential to become as popular as poetry, because of how it speaks about the real world and how it speaks directly to the viewer with clarity unparalleled by fiction writing. I think you are one of the people who are capable of making that a reality. So please, keep writing essays, keep writing articles. It is my pleasure to read your essays, and in time, I am sure that it will be the same with the rest of the Young Writers Society.

-outvaders

Featherstone wrote a review...

Heyo! Fea here to review and tear this apart!

So first off, I like the structure. It's clear, easy to navigate, and doesn't leave much room for confusion. However, I did notice a few sentences that were a bit oddly phrased.

"Whenever you write and edit, how much exterior help do you leverage?" I understand what this is saying, but it's a bit weirdly stated. Perhaps 'how much exterior help do you use' or 'take advantage of' would make it flow a bit more smoothly.

"Most of the times, they solve time-consuming writing and editing tasks." Most of the time?

"That means no complicated sentences, no hundreds of verbs in a sentence, and no repetitions." 'no hundreds of verbs in a sentence', while making sense, is a bit...blocky. Maybe 'no sentences with hundreds of verbs' would be a bit clearer.

"ProWritingAid looks for passive verbs, vague words, excessive use of verbs and adverbs, spelling and consistency, and much more." I'd use semicolons instead of commas, but that's just personal preference.

"This tool requires a premium membership, and it’s definitely a smart investment for any writer who wants to fix most of his writing “cons”." It should be 'most of his writing "cons."'

"No matter what type of texts your write, you always need to count your words." No matter what type of text you write??

"After you insert your text in their panel..." Again, though it makes sense, it's a bit oddly stated. Perhaps 'after you insert your text in its panel'?

"The tool suggests you what to edit, and it also brings possible better versions for different phrases and words." Suggest to you what to edit? Suggest what you should edit?

"It doesn’t take care of most of the features that other writing tools do, so it’s rather an “add-on” tool that you can always take advantage of." Once more it's got some weird wording. Maybe instead of saying 'so it's rather an "add-on" tool that you can always take advantage of' you could say 'it's more of a "add-on" tool' or 'it's quite the "add-on tool".

"You can create projects, to-do lists, tasks, and much more things." Many more things? Much more?

Other than that, nice job! It was well structured and easy to read and comprehend.

See you around,

Featherstone of the Knights of the Green Room

Lily708 says...

Hey, Jessica Freeman!!
Thanks a ton for this article....was of great help:)

Always ready to help! :)

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore