12+

Generation Z's Biggest Problem...

by jemming17

Teen suicide is generation Z’s biggest problem right now. Many teens have committed suicide this past year everywhere in the U.S. It is the second leading cause of death for ages 10-24. Imagine you losing someone to suicide and not knowing how you could stop it.

DEPRESSION’S PART

Depression is a major part of most suicides. The definition of depression is a medical condition that makes a person feel extremely upset,worthless, and can’t live a normal life.

It is also the leading cause of suicides. There are ways to see if you or someone you know has depression. Some symptoms according to “ Teen Suicide” are memory loss,difficulty with concentrating, mood fluctuations, and separation from family and friends(1).

How To Stop Depression There are many things you can do to help calm it down or stop it. Many doctors prescribe common anti- depressants like Zoloft, Prozac, and Luvox. You have to watch the person taking it because they can overdose on those drugs. Also therapy can help a lot in most cases.

3 STAGE SCREENING

The three stage screening process can help diagnose at risk teens. It has three different stages that the person has to go through. It is considered a treatment for students at schools.

The First Stage In the first stage of the treatment the participants take a survey to help diagnose what needs to happen next. If the results say they may cause self harm they move on to the second stage.

The Second Stage The second stage is kind of like the first, but it diagnoses what they may have through a computer interview.

The Third Stage The third is a test to see if they need intervention and how susceptible they are to suicide.

SUICIDE PREVENTION

There are three ways to help educate people any age about suicide and to see if they are suicidal. The first idea is used in the United States mostly and teaches students that suicide is bad, and has many cons. The second idea helps mostly people like guidance counselors learn to identify people at risk and help them with connections to get help. Finally the last action is to question teenagers and ask if they’re suicidal(“ A Three-Stage Screening” 4). There are also prevention lines that when people contemplating suicide can call for help.

IS SUICIDE EXAGGERATED?

In most cases according to “ The Extent of Teen Suicide Is Exaggerated”, they are just people wanting attention, not wanting to die(1). They usually come from split or abusive families and receive no recognition. An interviewer interviewed 12 girls after their friend had committed suicide. They all had said that they had thought about killing themselves after her death. Is it that the idea of suicide sounded good because their friend did it?

Most Suicides Aren’t Teens Teen suicides are less likely than adult suicides. Usually they’re going through their life crisis. About one-third of the adult suicides are homosexual.

The Media’s Part Surprisingly the media has a negative effect on suicides. The band Suicidal Tendencies sings in one of their songs about different ways to kill themselves. Many teenagers listen to them and get the idea maybe it is okay. Just like many teenagers listen to provocative music and receive negative ideas that they follow through.

EFFECTS OF SUICIDE

After someone has lost someone to suicide, they will be in the grieving process for a while. Sometimes they can have the idea that if they kill themselves they will be with that person again. Families can be broken up because of this too.

We need to stop the statistics from rising for Generation Alpha. We have lost enough people to suicide. Try to learn the signs, because someone you love could be next if you don’t.

Works Cited

Shaffer, David. "A Three-Stage Screening Strategy Can Prevent Teen Suicide." Teen Suicide.

Ed. John Woodward. San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 2005. At Issue. Rpt. from "Methods of Adolescent Suicide Prevention." Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 60 (1999): 70-74. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 11 Nov. 2015.

Males, Mike. "The Extent of Teen Suicide Is Exaggerated." The Scapegoat Generation:

America's War on Adolescents. Rpt. in Teen Suicide. Ed. John Woodward. San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 2005. At Issue. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 18 Nov. 2015.

"Teen Suicide." Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection. Detroit: Gale, 2015. Opposing

Viewpoints in Context. Web. 11 Nov. 2015.

Thu May 10, 2018 6:48 am
SofieR says...

ey there, jemming17! Sofie here with a review.

Firstly, I want to commend you on picking a topic as important and timely as this one. I think the number one biggest indicator of whether an essay is effective or “good” is whether it tells the reader something new or not. That is; does it teach the reader something new or is it just spitting back common knowledge that the reader most-likely already knows? Because, if you’re doing the later then you’re wasting the readers time. Pro-tip from an English major; if you can teach your teacher something, even just a little fact, that they might not have previously known your guarantee yourself a good grade.
So, with that being said; Does your essay teach the reader something new? I would say somewhat. I didn’t know this was the leading cause of death for generation Z. Honestly, I would have guessed auto-accidents were. However, a lot of what you mention about anti-depressants and screening is common knowledge. The prevention portion was pretty superficial. You might want to expand your research, maybe look up more personal stories of rehab or families who have lost loved ones to suicide so that the essay feels more than just someone reciting facts and statistics. Also, this is not proper MLA or APA format, so if you’re planning on submitting this as is, I’d suggest double checking your teacher’s formatting standards before turning this in. (If not, then just ignore that last part XD)
Good luck!

jemming17 says...

Thank you for a very useful review!

Thu May 10, 2018 6:44 am
SofieR wrote a review...

Hey there, jemming17! Sofie here with a review.

Firstly, I want to commend you on picking a topic as important and timely as this one. I think the number one biggest indicator of whether an essay is effective or “good” is whether it tells the reader something new or not. That is; does it teach the reader something new or is it just spitting back common knowledge that the reader most-likely already knows? Because, if you’re doing the later then you’re wasting the readers time. Pro-tip from an English major; if you can teach your teacher something, even just a little fact, that they might not have previously known you can guarantee yourself a good grade.

Good luck!

Virgil wrote a review...

Hi there Jemming17. Even though this is already knocked out of the Green Room I felt the urge to go ahead and review this. Let's begin.

The title doesn't work for two different reasons. First of all, there's a clickbait-y tone that comes with 'Generation Z's Biggest Problem' and using a demographic cohort in a title in that way may scare readers away from the more important issue that you're attempting to talk about because most articles that do use a term such as 'Millennials' or 'Generation Z' are usually...not that great of quality. My second problem with the title is that it's a little misleading.

What I mean by this is that there's no mention of the main focus of the article in the title, and that's a little misleading? If anything of this sort I'd prefer the title to be 'Generation Z's Biggest Problem: Suicide (or Teen Suicide)' as adding in the part about suicide also acts as a trigger warning for those who may not want to read about the subject. If not that, it'd be nice if you added a trigger warning into the description of the work to prevent harm to anybody uncomfortable reading about the subject.

Moving on from the title, let's talk about the structure and construction of this article/essay. I'm quite confused by why this isn't written in the format of an argumentative essay, especially when fits well with what you're attempting to do and the message you want to get across to readers? This work is arguing that Generation Z's biggest problem is teen suicide and there are different points being argued throughout so why isn't this an argumentative essay? The structure's fairly simple with an introductory paragraph, two body paragraphs, the rebuttal and a conclusion.

As for the current anatomy of this essay--there doesn't seem to be a lot of thought put into the form? Furthermore, there's not a lot of substance in each point being made, either. The 'Works Cited' at the end takes up more space than your final point 'Effects of Suicide' which I found to be a little ridiculous. There are six works cited but there's not a lot of sourcing in the work? Instead of quoting by using quotation marks, footnotes are used and I'm unsure as to why. None of the points here are properly supported, either. For example, the introduction's only three short sentences and the thesis statement isn't all that strong.

Add an attention-getting opening and spice that first paragraph up with background information about the subject--this makes the body paragraphs able to focus on the most important points instead of the majority of the work talking about information that the reader may already be aware of such as the three-stage screening--that's not unique. What is unique is the author's perspective on all of this. I have to say that I'm heavily not a fan of the section titled 'Is Suicide Exaggerated?' due to the lack of sensitivity similar to @Junel. I also liked the idea stated about adding in a list of suicide hotlines if only to give examples on your part.

Try to learn the signs, because someone you love could be next if you don’t.

Elaborate on what the signs of being suicidal are for the sake of the article/essay. What are the signs? Inform the reader on that. Go into more detail. 'Go into more detail' is a critique that also applies to the rest of this piece because all of this only touches on the subject matter on a surface level. Do more than scratch the surface. Go into further depth about your argument and even re-evaluate because the 'Is Suicide Exaggerated?' section does more harm than help in proving your point at this point in time.

I can see that part of the essay being a rebuttal against the thought that suicide's an exaggeration because that goes along with the main message of your essay being that 'Generation Z's Biggest Problem' is suicide/teen suicide. Show the reader the importance of the issue. Show the reader why this issue is more important than other issues. Show a path or ways that this can be assuaged. That's what needs to happen here. Ultimately, the message is an important one to tell which is why delicate hands are needed to tread lightly on the topic without causing more harm and a stake needs to be driven into the ground to make this more solid. Don't make a tent to protect your message, make a castle.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped.

Junel wrote a review...

Hey there! This is definitely an important topic and you provide a lot of information for the reader.

First my nitpicks and suggestions:
(I bold what needs to be changed)

Imagine you losing someone to suicide

This should be removed, it's unnecessary.

It is also the leading cause of suicides.

This entire statement feels repetitive because you already said it was a major part, so maybe remove that sentence earlier on. Also removed the bolded, it makes your statement clearer and more impactful.

memory loss,difficulty with concentrating,

Add a space, and another unnecessary word.

How To Stop Depression There are many things

Add a :. You also are missing colons in a few other places, so I'd quickly give it a read over if I were you.

The first idea is used in the United States mostly and teaches students

This is worded oddly. Something like the following would be clearer. The first idea, used mainly in the U.S., teaches students...

The second idea helps mostly people like guidance counselors learn to identify people at risk and help them with connections to get help.

Same thing here, moving around the way you structure this will give you a quick fix. Like: The second idea helps people like guidance counselors learn to identify those at risk and provide them with helpful connections.

IS SUICIDE EXAGGERATED?

I think this section is important but needs some editing. I think that although you have found sources to prove what you say you should never forget the other side, especially with such a touchy topic. It may have just been the way I read this, but it came across as slightly harsh. Adding a small section saying that it isn't completely exaggerated, and is still a problem would be helpful because otherwise this seems to go against the rest of your piece.

After someone has lost someone to suicide

This is slightly confusing, something clearer might be like: After losing someone to suicide

Anyway, this is really informative, well written, and well supported. I hope that you find my review helpful to improve your work.

Sláinte -Junel

Trashcan wrote a review...

Hi there! I'm not great at introductions so let's hop right in!
I just wanna say that this is a great little article you've written here! I've dealt with suicidal thoughts and still learned a few things.
I just have one, teeny tiny nitpick. It's not that big a deal, just a suggestion to make this article even better than it already is.
You mentioned suicide hotlines, but what I would do is include just a few of those hotlines after the references, for example:
Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-827-7571
Eating Disorders Awareness and Prevention 1-800-931-2237
Gay and Lesbian National Hotline 1-888-843-4564
National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE
Stuff like that.
Anyway, I really like this article! It's informative and it doesn't sugarcoat anything, thanks for writing!
-Trashcan

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet