Seventeen Forever 2

by jasmine12

Lizzie

****Part Two****

“I do not understand a word he is saying,” I whispered to my father. We were being taken on a tour of my father’s factory by the manager, Henry Hopkins. He wasn’t an unattractive man, but I couldn’t possible show my fondness of him. His persistent ramblings about the mill made him seem proud of himself. He stood straight with a smug smile across his face. He walked with a certain grace that wasn’t exactly flawless, but ordinary.

“Just smile and nod,” my father muttered back to me.

“The river just out there,” Henry said, pointing out the window. “It is considered a mill pond, used to power our machines. The water wheel you see there, spinning about; the flow of the river turns the wheel when it catches the flashboards, turning a chain of gears, pulleys, shafts, and belts connected to the machines on all the floors. The wheel is the power center of the mill.”

I stood beside my father as we traveled through the tight corridors and stuffy rooms. Prudence and I would stand close together while we were stopped, staying quiet and looking where Henry would point, letting the men lead us.

I rocked back on my heels, admiring our tour guide. Whenever he would glance at me while he spoke, I would flash him a coy smile. As if we were having a conversation with our eyes, he’d life his brow just slightly higher when he noticed my smile. He took my smile as a polite “hello” or “good day.” Our silent communication made my heart fall deep into the chasm of my abdomen. At the time, I couldn’t be sure if such a feeling was good, or devastatingly bad.

“Now, now, Mr. Hopkins,” my father bellowed. “Let us not bore out two young women here.” My father gestured for us to turn and walk back down the hall the way we came.

As they began to walk, I stared out the window some more. The constant sloshing of the river against the water wheel caught my attention. I looked around the mill at the surrounding lands, letting the cool breeze kiss my soft cheeks. The heap of grass was surrounded by fields of wildflowers and trees.

Such an isolated and ignored land had beauty everywhere I turned. The only culmination that could come to mind at the time was that the people that came to such a charming place were the problem, not the land.

I turned away from the wondrous sight, but the men had already left the hall. I quickly followed the hall back the way we’d came, but I couldn’t here any voices of the roar of the machines.

When I came to the end of the corridor, I decided to try a few doors around me. One door led only to a broom closet. Another door led to something more astonishing. It must have been one of the looming rooms. Machines that I had known to be looms were lined up in columns and rows, five looms in six rows. They were not running and the room was completely baron of touch. Dust lined the floors along with the machines.

I ran my finger along the side of one machine and picked up a layer of the filthy soot. As I began to walk away from the loom, I felt a slight tug of my dress. I turned to see what it had caught, but turning only made the rip worse. I was tightly wound close to the machine.

“What a predicament,” I said sarcastically to myself, knowing that the damsel in distress gag was horridly overrated.

I took a hold of the satin of my dress that was caught in a crevice of the loom and began to pull. When I was finally free, I lost my balance and flung back through the air to my back. I didn’t reach the floor, however.

“Oh,” I said breathlessly.

I felt the pressure on my back of being cradled like a child. I looked up to see it was that was holding me, only to be shocked that it was a young stranger with handsome unambiguous features.

“You should watch you step around here,” the young man said to me, a complacent smile on his face. “It can be rather dangerous to not only you, but for everyone around you to wear such a voluptuous gown,” he continued, gesturing to my Mantua.

“Excuse me!” I blurted out, squirming and twisting my way out of his clutch. “You must work on your manners, young sir.” I said, attempting to stay calm to try and make my point. “Touching a woman in such a manner is strictly frowned upon and not gentleman like,” I said, searching for the right words.

“Gentleman like?” he repeated, questioning my intelligence.

I scoffed and turned away from him. “You’d think a man would be gallant, noble,” I paused in thought. I could hear the chuckle that the man was suppressing. “Honorable!” I spat.

He couldn’t hold it in any longer. He burst into a deep and true laughter. Doubling over and clenching his belly, he shook with amusement. The boy had dark brown hair that curled towards the ends. He was incredibly taller than I was and awfully majestic. Underneath his thin shirt, it was quite obvious that he was brawny and the way he rolled up his sleeves to his upper arm proved that he was proud of such a build.

Clearing my throat, catching his attention again, I asked, “What is your name, young sir?”

“Jeremiah, Jeremiah Thompson.” He outstretched his hand towards me, expecting me to shake it. I stared at his palm curiously. It was scraped and scarred.

“Were you mauled?” I blatantly asked. He instantly pulled his hand back, looking away embarrassed.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Thompson, sir,” I said shyly. “That was rude.”

The awkward pause between us grew stronger as the seconds ticked by.

“What is your name?” he asked apprehensively.

I pulled at my fingers behind my back nervously. I had never felt such a fluttering feeling within me, nor have I ever spoken to a gentleman without a chaperon. It was just unheard of in England.

He raised his brow when I didn’t answer. This slight change in expression made him look older, wiser. Such a change brought years of experience into his eyes that made my heart begin to pound within my chest.

“Elizabeth,” I finally said. Then thinking about it for a moment, I said, “Lizzie Lamport.”

I had never cherished my name; I preferred Lizzie for shirt. Elizabeth was my mother’s name and due to resemblance, my name reminded everyone, especially my father, of her. And seeing the sadness in their eyes at my own name; there was no questioning my favor of a shorter name.

Jeremiah’s eyes grew with recognition and he stepped away from me, deeper into the abandoned room. “My apologies, Miss Lamport. I should have known you weren’t a worker here.” He looked down at my gown again.

I followed his gaze to my dress. It was an expensive gown that my father bought for my as a bride to move to our new home. It was lined with light pink lace and its bodice opened in the front, unlike most corsets. The skirt flowed to the floor and was a soft rose color. It was beautiful, even with the newly torn rip down the side.

“Please,” I said softly. “Do call me Lizzie. I will not tell my father of our small tiff here today. Do not worry of such things.” I had no idea why I spoke so formal to Jeremiah. It seemed the proper thing to do at the time.

His lips pulled up in a crooked smile that sent my heart fluttering. “Thank you, Lizzie.” My name rolled off his tongue so gently, so smoothly, as if my name was made to be spoken by his angelic lips alone.

I smiled at my new friend and turned to leave the room. “Do make an effort on you manners, Mr. Thompson.” I teased as I left the room.

Later, I had wondered back to my father in Mr. Hopkins’ office. They hadn’t noticed my disappearance, or didn’t make any recognition that I had returned to them. Anthony was signing a contract with the manager and my father was reading over his shoulder. Henry sat at his desk with a large smile across his face and his hands folded, fingers entwined. Prudence, to no surprise, was standing in the corner, observing.

I took my place next to her. She smiled at me, and I replied with one as well. Her eyes traveled to the tear in my dress, and then she looked back at me with wide brown eyes. My smile grew as the memory of my adventure to the abandoned looming room flashed through my mind. I wanted to tell her of my experience with Jeremiah, but something inside told me not to. Something that overpowered my mind and body. Something so potent, I could not deny its feelings.

EllyMelly wrote a review...

Good Late Morning, Jasmine.

Here are some of my comments and/or suggestions:

First here's a little mistake:

I followed his gaze to my dress. It was an expensive gown that my father bought for my as a bride to move to our new home.
The my in the second sentence needs to be me. Her father didn't buy it for my but for me. See what I mean?

1) Is Mr. Henry Hopkins the owner of the mill? Will we (the readers) know anything about him? Any history to the man or is he just a side character? Oh, and what did he look like? What does his attire look like? Does he have a family to feed? A wife?

2) What year is this taken place at? What era and/or century? And what is a Mantua? Is it muslin or something else? Fabric? Cloth? Or even silk?

3) I'm just curious, is this novel Historical Fiction or Historical Romance or a mixture of both? Because back in whatever era this is, ladies in her station wouldn't associate themselves with the lower class. It was forbidden. But, I was glad that Lizzie spoke like a true lady, knowing her position in society (if she has one) and telling Thompson that he wasn't acting gentlemen like. In the early days it was wrong and forbidden also, to fall in love or even marry (not like your characters will do so) someone of the opposite class. People in high society were dignified, rich, and yes, spoiled. The common folk were either middle class or even the lower class. They probabaly didn't have all the privileges as the higher classes did. But, enough of this history lesson.

4) I can't think of anything else and if I do I will get to you about it. Wonderful as always, Jasmine. You are the Queen of History!

Melly

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:52 am
fluteluvr77 wrote a review...

Hiya Jaz! I've been sick lately, so sorry if I kept you waiting...Thanks for using my thread and onto the review!

I Nitpicks

He wasn’t an unattractive man, but I couldn’t possible show my fondness of him.

Huh? What do you mean, by showing fondness? Simplify it...Maybe, "I couldn't like him"? The wordiness makes it rather confusing...

His persistent ramblings about the mill made him seem proud of himself.

I think you mean proud in a bad way, dear...I would switch the wording...maybe vain?

As if we were having a conversation with our eyes, he’d life his brow just slightly higher when he noticed my smile.

Lift his brow? I would say eyebrow too...for some reason just saying brow confuses me...

“Now, now, Mr. Hopkins,” my father bellowed. “Let us not bore out two young women here.”

Delete the out...it's a bit too wordy.

I quickly followed the hall back the way we’d came, but I couldn’t here any voices of the roar of the machines.

Over the roar of machines fits better, dear.

They were not running and the room was completely baron of touch.

Barren is the word you're looking for, not baron!

I looked up to see it was that was holding me, only to be shocked that it was a young stranger with handsome unambiguous features.

Darling, I love that you're using such fancy words. But, I don't think that unambiguous really fits. Try simpler like chiseled.

The boy had dark brown hair that curled towards the ends.

You have been calling him a young man so far. Suddenly calling him a boy changes the perspective of a reader...I would stick with calling him a young man until he is named.

I had never cherished my name; I preferred Lizzie for shirt.

Lizzie for short is what I think you mean...

“Please,” I said softly. “Do call me Lizzie. I will not tell my father of our small tiff here today. Do not worry of such things.”

I find this sentence really weird. She is always so formal and uptight, and now she refers to their confrontation as a 'tiff'? I would call it a fight.

I had no idea why I spoke so formal to Jeremiah.

It should be so formally to Jeremiah.

“Do make an effort on you manners, Mr. Thompson.” I teased as I left the room.

It should be 'your manners'...

Alright, darling, I'm done! Don't you hate those typos? :wink:

II Concepts

:arrow: Flow - I think the flow is a bit rough in certain parts. I liked how you described her dress, but it was very blunt. You tell us exactly what she's wearing, what color it is etc. It is like information overload in one paragraph. Instead, I would like you to be more subtle. You started off well saying the voluptuous dress was dangerous. Then, maybe say something like Jeremiah picked up a rose scrap off from the floor. Then maybe mention how she was later forced to change. Maybe as she was changing, she was thinking about how dresses were so unwieldy and how this was the most practical because the corset opens at the front. Explain it little by little. By dumping all this information on us, you are distracting the reader from the story and what is actually happening, by forcing all the attention on the dress. Y'know?
:arrow: Descriptions - Some parts were good, and some weren't. Let's take the example of the waterwheel. First, you are telling us all the information about it in one dialogue, which as I mentioned before doesn't seem natural. And, if I was a teenager (that's Lizzie's age as I imagine it for some reason), I would focus more on how it looks and sounds, not the functions or the many shafts and pulleys that I don't see. What does the wheel look like? Is it gigantic? Is it covered with dust/mud? Or is it sparkling clean? Does it creak when it moves? Is it well taken care of? Or is it in such bad condition that she is worried it might fall apart? You know what I mean? Now you start to do this with the surrounding lands when she is staring out of the window. However, you sorta leave it off halfway. What color are the wildflowers? Are they growing in a row or all over the place? Are the trees tall? Are the leaves green or different fall colors? This can be used to hint time as you can see...Anywayz, I would do the same thing with Mr. Hopkin's office. It just creates a picture in the reader's mind and makes them want to read your story.
:arrow: Characterization - Pretty good job on this with the MC. But, I would describe the side characters a lot more. I can deal with your explanations about the tour guide and even Jeremiah. By not explaining Jeremiah, you are evoking an aura of mystery around him that I appreciate. Moreover, since the tour guide doesn't seem to be a recurring character your explanation is fine.However, the father needs to be more relatable. Right now, all I know about the father is that he spoils his daughter and shows a certain measure of courtesy to people he doesn't know. What does he think of the mill? Does he see the water wheel as an amazing invention? Is he easily impressed? Does he see the factory as useless? Is he never impressed? This may seem difficult to convey without blatantly telling. But, trust me, there are subtler methods. For instance, you can make him roll his eyes slightly when Henry is explaining the water wheel. The reader can draw a conclusion and they'll enjoy reading between the lines. A couple of other things I'd like to know. Is he overprotective of Lizzie? Does he care? To what extent? Again, the way I would convey this is by the eye conversation between Lizzie and the tour guide. Does he pounce in between and threaten the guide? Does he notice and warn Lizzie? Or does he not care? Y'know what I mean?
:arrow: Mood - I have to say I'm impressed. There are a few flaws in this, like her thinking that the damsel in distress is so old. That bothers me, she seems so old fashioned in her voluptuous gown. And now she thinks that damsels are old fashioned. This seems rather hypocritical, and just doesn't fit here. I get the idea of this old fashioned town in the 1700s or the 1800s. I can feel the overprotective father, the young girl with quaint ideals, and of course the dashing prince. The mood it creates is eccentric and I thoroughly enjoy it. Yet, here and there, you seem to be modernizing it. I don't like the way it interrupts, so I would delete these parts. Another example would be when she says that she is teasing about manners. She doesn't seem like a teasing kind of girl. In fact, she seemed perturbed and the way I imagine, she is the damsel swooning into his arms. I can't imagine her teasing him about manners...But, this is a rather opinionated topic so feel free to ignore me!
:arrow: Overall - Pretty good job on this! I would concentrate on descriptions and characterizations. You seem to go halfway on both of them (just like me! :P), so that the reader has to imagine the rest. Although this works well in mysteries, it annoys me here. Similarly, I had to make up what I imagined the father was thinking most of the time. Since he seems to be rather important, I would either explain his views a lot more from Lizzie POV or have certain parts on his POV. I think that was it....Again, sorry for the extremely slow review...I've been sick. Hope I made up for it with the load of critiquing info I just offered you! ^_^

Mary.Ellen. wrote a review...

jasmine~

First off, I DID NOT read anybody else's comments. So if I go over the same thing, I'm sorry.

When I first read this part I felt like there was no point to this one. I couldn't figure out what was going on but I read on...

Um, is Mr. Thompson going to be that rakish sort of man? I was just wondering, it was the way you described him.

Usually people in a higher station wouldn't associate themselves with people in lower classes. So I like to see what you're going to do to Lizzie and Thompson and the people around them.

As I said in the last chapter, descriptions and even conversations were done quite well. But. This novel of yours somewhat reminds me of North and South. And I noticed nothing "modern" about this. Writers who write historical fiction have to be very careful on what's historic in that time period and what's modern, that they can't have.

Enough of me babbling on. Message me when part three goes up.

{Ellen}

Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:11 am
Pattycakes wrote a review...

My collected thoughts on the first two chapters.

'The crows nest' and other assorted thoughts on mariners
You have Lizzie make a comment about the relative ease of being in the crow's nest. If this is nautical ignorance on her part, disregard the following statement, but the crow's nest is an awful job. The lookout shift is longer than the others, you're outdoors, with no food, no water, no place to sit. If it's bad weather it's downright hellish.
The second thing is the usage of the term 'Land ho'. the 'ho' in that statement is a bit of Elizabethian charm that may or may not of been used depending on when she came over. At any rate, why use the cliche when the lookout could simply say 'Land' 'Land ahead' 'I've sighted land' etc. ?
Also she, uh, teleports from ship to shore as do all their things. A number of small longboats would probably ferry them to shore and I think her first step onto America (right?) is a pretty cool moment you're forgetting about.

Trees
I'm extremely happy that you included something about the trees in 'the New World'. It's pretty much the one thing everyone mentions when they see the American coast for the first time. The absolutely enormous amount of trees. Props.

A thought on sarcasm
You have Lizzie make a sarcastic comment in ch. 2. Here's a question that I'm honestly not sure the answer to, but I think is interesting. Did sarcasm exist in this time period. Because I racked my brains and can't honestly think of someone making a "Yeah, I'm sure that'll work." style comment. As it stands no big deal, but if these kind of quips are to become part of Lizzie's character it's worth a thought.

Caste systems
To be honest, especially at this stage in the story I found the character's conversation with Jeremiah to be excellent in some places and shaky in others. And I think it revolves around the idea of place in society. I much preferred Lizzie sticking to her staid upbringing then this awkwardly phrased heart melting at first sight stuff. Here's why:
English aristocracy was raised with a natural distrust and aversion to the sort of people who worked in a mill. These people were filthy, and unmannered in a time when a lack of manners wasn't charming or cute, but revolting. It goes beyond simple physical appearance. Save this 'fluttering feeling' stuff for later chapters as their relationship develops.
I mean, I kind of get the impression Lizzie is a bit of a rebel, but at first sight this dirty farmboy who dared lay a hand on her, and flaunt his body in front of her in such a way shouldn't be getting big puppy dog eyes yet, no matter how good looking he is.
But other parts of the exchange are delightful in their awkwardness and culture clash. So yeah, mixed feelings. Love at first sight is so boring anyways, show me some relationship development between the two!

Overall I think your grasp of the style of speaking and description of the time period is pretty masterly. The scenery as described is very vivid without being too overdone. I think you describe characters well in a minimum of words.
I think the cues between characters, both spoken and (very important to the time) unspoken were great. As were the sorts of class and gender discriminations that would've existed. Cool piece.

-Pattycakes

i love me some swole chickens
— yosh