z

Young Writers Society



Seventeen Forever 1

by jasmine12


Lizzie

****Part One****

I couldn’t bear to look into the ocean any longer. We were surrounded by the cool, dark, abyss. I found myself watching, just searching the waters for something, anything. Any sign of life, love, or hope. There was nothing. The water seemed like a pool of tears, shadowy and hollow. Where else would the tears of lonely souls go once they’d been shed? That was only when the waters were asleep. When the waters were aroused by our ships side, the waves terrifyingly crashed against the darkened wood. The ship was tossed about like an angry child throwing a toy. Crewmen, not being able to get a hold of something stable, were flung around like rag dolls.

“Not yet have their sea legs,” the captain said to me on a stormy night.

I traveled from my home and my life, to a new home far across bodies of lands and oceans. Something so forsaken could never suffice as an acceptable home for my father and me. The thing I would miss the most, out of everything so wonderful about England, is the gardens. They were so true, so beautiful. Like watching the ocean, I would stare into the grand bouquet of daisies and lilies for house, daydreaming about fairy tale things. Such things are frowned upon for a lady, so I keep it close to my heart where it is my little secret.

“We’re taking on water!” a crewman exclaimed, bringing me back to the violent thrashings of the sea.

“Land ho!” another man called out from the crow’s nest. That man’s job is to sit and look about; seemed like child’s play compared to the other chores.

The few passengers that were on the vessel moved with haste towards the front of the ship; each wanting to see the first spot of land that they’d seen in months. Being a proper lady, I waited until all of the men had their turn before I too peered out on the horizon. There were doubts in my mind about this trip. How was I to know that the ship was to bring us to its true destination? How was I to know I wasn’t on a vessel destined for slavery? There was no way to be sure, for I could not speak to my father about such foolish worries. Childish, he would call it.

The beach was not like the harbor in England. There was no harbor in this waste land. My father, the passengers and I were put on a smaller boat, a paddle boat, to be shipped to shore. They weren’t going to beach the ship, I overheard. It was due back to England for a journey to Africa to pick up a shipment of blacks. Slaves, they meant, black men, women, and children who will be sold for a petty profit.

“Miss,” a young woman cooed. “We are due a bit down the beach.” It was Olivia Kincadd, my close servant. She had light blond hair that framed her olive face. Her light blue eyes sparkled in the sun. Olivia had a modest smile on her face, lie she always had whenever around me. I nodded to her and we followed the men’s footprints up the beach.

The venture into town was a ghastly one. We were met on the beach’s edge with two horse drawn carriages with mud plastered on the sides and on the wheels. The driver of the carriage seemed drunk, and there were no footmen to help us with our bags. The driver stumbled off his seat and fell to the ground. One of the men we traveled with courteously helped him to his feet.

“I’m alright,” the driver said with a clumsy accent; its strange twang seemed foreign to me. He was dirty and he hadn’t shaved in weeks. He brushed himself off a bit before opening the door and gesturing out entrance to his carriage with his arm. My father made the same gesture to me, but on my father, the action seemed clean and proper.

My father and I were nothing close to royalty, but I did consider myself a princess. I was my father’s little princess who got anything and everything I’ve ever needed. It is unmistakable that I would feel superior to this vile man. My father, being the decent man that he was, helped me into the carriage when he saw my disgust towards the driver.

The driver headed off on a dirt path that led into deep woods. The trees created a canvas over the road. If it weren’t a vulgar, uncultured place, the road would have some artistry within it.

The cramped carriage consisted of my, my father, Olivia and a newlywed couple. During the voyage to our new home, I had a change to speak with the wife. Her name was Prudence Knox and her husband’s name was Anthony. They had been married less than a year before they were thrown from their home due to high debts with the landlord. According to Prudence, Anthony had found work with my father as an instructor in the mill. Anthony was to teach my father’s new employees how to work some of my father’s machines.

Prudence and Anthony showed all of the signs of a happy newlywed couple. She was proper as I when it came to silly things as staying silent in the presence of others or the modesty of covering all of her womanly qualities. She had dark brown hair that was up in natural curls. She looked effortlessly beautiful, and I was jealous of her allurement.

Anthony, however, didn’t share such attracting qualities. He stood awkwardly as if he didn’t feel like he belonged in his current company. He had stringy blond hair that he consistently pushed behind his ears. Anthony walked as if he had two left feet, as the expression goes. He tripped over things, including his own two feet! The uncoordinated man seemed as if he was still just a boy instead of a married adult.

Together, Prudence acted as if he was just like everyone else; looking past the stumbling cumbersome situations the boy tends to put himself in. She accepts him for who he is and appears to love him anyway. Something I knew I could never do.

Outside the carriage, the trees grew thicker and greener. It’s too green, I thought. The roads were uneven and it jerked us within the carriage as if no one had traveled on the road in ages. Glancing out the teeny round window, I could see the trees dissolve as we arrived into town. In place of the trees where slight buildings and an elderly woman leading a flock of children down the road. One could tell the children were of different parents because of the mixture of ages and hair colors. A young lady, near my age, was walking behind the children carrying a basket with bread and butter. She kept her eyes on the ground as she marched behind the flock. Other men and women lined the roads with stands, selling fruits and other goods.

“The market,” my father said, as if correcting my thoughts.

Anthony spoke for the first time then. “We should be arriving at the mill then?” he asked my father.

Without looking at Anthony, my father replied, “I was told the mill was just outside of town. Just past a bit of farm land.” Anthony didn’t reply to my father’s comment. He looked at his wife, then back out the window, undoubtedly searching the outside world for something of interest, just as I was doing.

What seemed like an eternity was just only a half hour before we reached the mill’s driveway. As I stepped out of the carriage, I noticed a river just down the hill. There was a bridge over the river with a large wooden wheel streaming around and around again. The mill was on both sides of the river, connected by the bridge. Much different from the mills in England where there were cities built around the mills.

A deep feeling in the pit of my belly made me realize that this domicile was my new home, my new prison.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 1390
Reviews: 40

Donate
Wed May 20, 2009 4:15 pm
EllyMelly wrote a review...



Good Morning, Jasmine.

Here are some of my comments and/or suggestions:

1) This first part was mentioned as Lizzie's POV. Is she the narrator for the whole story or is it a split chapters for two or more separate people? And is it every chapter there's someone else speaking or is it every other chapter? Oh, and one more if it is a off and on chapter POV, is the other person a male or female? That's all for #1 .

2) Lizzie mentions she's on a ship, is she inside the captains headquarters or outside? I ask because, she was describing very poetically of how the ocean looked at night. And if she was a lady of any rank she wouldn't be on the deck when the waves crashed onto the ship. It wouldn't seem very ladylike of her.

3) First off she says she's from England, what part? London, the sea ports like Lyme, Brighton, and South Hampton, or Bath, or is she from the countryside? You did write some descriptive words of how her home in England was, but not enough. If it's going to be in another chapter then that's fine, if not then I can probably throw out some questions for you to use.
* What was her home like? What did it look like? Was it ancient or modern? Was it in the city or was it a small cottage in the countryside? Or did they live in a small town?
* How wonderful was England to Lizzie? Did she go to balls, dinner parties, country weekends, to the park for a picnic, etc.? Did she have lots of friends and meet handsome gentlemen? Were there suitors for her? Did she possibly have older siblings that already grew up and married or out to war (possibly)?
* What was her childhood like? Was it loads of fun or was it boring? Like being with a governess. What type of fairy tales did she daydream about?
Well, that's all I could think of for now. If I think of anything else I'll message you about them.

4) People or the common folk. How did Lizzie meet Olivia? Were they childhood friends? Or was Olivia just given to Lizzie as a servant not knowing her at all. Now what you described about the Knox couple is that just it or is there going to be more? Or are they just side characters? Her father/papa, was he middle aged or an elderly person? Did he have a wife living or is she deceased? Are we going to learn if Lizzie had a mama?

5) Noticing that the mill is not in England, is it in Africa (just a thought) or America? If it's in America then I can probably guess it's going to be a life changing experience for Lizzie. And I can't wait to see what's going to happen next in her life. Oh, by the way, is she 17, hence the title to this? And if she is did she have a London season and coming-out? (if you don't know what a season or coming-out is then message me. I would be glad to help)

Well, Jasmine, I'm really happy and excited to get to know about Lizzie and probably her adventures and mishaps at the mill. Hopefully I helped. And if I get some time today, I'll read part 2.

Have a wonderful and happy day!

Melly




User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 803
Reviews: 107

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:47 pm
fluteluvr77 wrote a review...



This is a cute story you have, darling! Thanks for using my thread! Since, you didn't specify what review, I'm going to guess that you wanted an overall view...There weren't many grammar errors here anyway! Onto the review!

:arrow: Imagery - The first paragraph was simply ah-mazing! You seemed to get imagery, metaphors, and I could really feel where we were. After that, you stopped. For instance, in the carriage, you tell us that it is horse-drawn...and that's about it. Is it covered in filth, just like the driver? Is there an aroma of alcohol wafting from it? Do the wheels screech as they are driving along the dirt path? Or, is it thoroughly clean? Is it the opposite of the carriage's driver? You get the idea right?

:arrow: Characterization - Impressive job on the MC...People generally make sure that the reader can get into the MC's head, however they forget about the other characters. They have to be relatable as well...Let's look at the father's character. We know little about him except that he spoils his daughter and that he isn't royalty. This makes it rather hard to relate to him. Is he harsh with the peasants? Did he snap at the carriage driver? Is he mean to everyone except his daughter? Does he miss his wife? What is he feeling? Does he have a superiority complex? Does he make fun of people such as Anthony behind their backs? I would do the same kind of thing to develop the character of Prudence, Olivia, and possibly Anthony...

:arrow: Diction - There were a couple of spelling and grammar mistakes...But, nothing major, so I'll let someone else take care of that 'kay? :wink:

:arrow: Description - I would add a lot more description in all of this. What is the beach like? Why is it so different from the British harbor? Is it dirty? Are there broken bottles of wine all over the sand? Does our MC have to tread carefully? Then, if she does, describe the discomfort she is going through, and if you want to go a bit overboard, describe her clothing. For instance, her puffy skirt that she has to lift and makes her go off-balance...You get the idea right?

:arrow: Mood - Hmm, this is a bit of an opinionated topic, so I won't elaborate too much...It seems like Lizzie feels that she is better than everything around her...You did pretty well in creating this impression however I would advise a little more subtlety. For instance, you say that she thinks that she is better than the carriage driver...Instead, compare him with someone in Britain. Compare their cultures. Tell us how she holds her head up high, and looks past him instead of at him. Or even say that she ignores him when he is talking....y'know what I mean?

:arrow: Overall - Nice job on this! I can't wait for the next part. Some advice that I would give to you is to have a brief section in the carriage driver's POV. Just show us how other's react to her actions and words. Later in the story, it would be interesting if you could add a flashback showing us how her superiority complex develops. Maybe tell us about the time when her dad taught her to be a proper lady, and how inferior commoners are...

Sorry if the review was a bit harsh XD. I mean it in a helpful way! :D Thanks again for using my thread and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 4

Donate
Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:06 pm
Mary.Ellen. wrote a review...



jasmine~

Hello, there. I would like to say that I saw this story in the historical tab and the title caught my eye. I just love historical fiction, but then I prefer romance in it. But! I'm always up to something new.

When I was reading this part it reminded me a lot of...
*Persuasion by Jane Austen (the ship thing)
*North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (the mill thing)

Now I had a question, your MC says that they're not royalty, meaning not with the whole kings and queens or dukes and earls? Or are they from the common folk?

The vivid descriptions of the scenery were done quite well and you had just the right amount of her emotions. Balancing them off just right.

Any who, I do like to know what's going to happen. Because is this just in two parts? Oh, and is her name Lizzie or Elizabeth? 'Cause I don't think I saw her name.

Well, I saw that there's a second part and I will get to it as soon as I can. Wonderful job!

{Ellen}




User avatar
842 Reviews


Points: 1075
Reviews: 842

Donate
Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:20 pm
ashleylee wrote a review...



Jazzy! You told me about this piece and I couldn't resist coming over here and checking it out :D

This was a really unique idea, now that I have finished reading your story. I think you could have included more information in the beginning, like that she was actually on the boat, or what time period this was, or where they were headed.

I have a feeling they are in America, right?

Otherwise, it was an interesting start. You left the reader wanting more, which is always a good thing.

Keep it up! =]




User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 147

Donate
Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:28 pm
jasmine12 says...



ballerina13- Thanks for reading. This piece is for a junior project in school. The final product will be my grade. eep! heh, thanks for the advice. I'll deffinitly take it into consideration while do the final edit. I don't really want to explain to much, but you continue to read as i post, then you will see that the following chapter will have another narrator and then is when she will be described in a physical mannar. But, again, explaining to much. XD

Thanks again for reading
--Jaz




User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 6280
Reviews: 135

Donate
Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 pm
ballerina13 wrote a review...



This is an interesting piece. The fluency is good along with the imagery. It felt as if I was there witnessing it all pan out. But, you need to describe your main character more. Tell us how old she is, what she looks like. It will draw the reader in more, having them feel as if they know her. This is a good piece. I would like to continue reading it.





life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae