z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Mature Content

One Step At A Time (Near To You - Chapter 2)

by janarose


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

I sat and listened to his entire set as I drowned myself in bourbon. “Maybe you should sl…” Ken started to say, but I gave him a look that could pierce through armor and he put his head down as he filled another glass with Buffalo Trace.

“Alright, this is my last song tonight. Y’all have been great!” Beau grinned as he began strumming out another riff on his acoustic. My god, I was still in shock just looking at him. He looked the same as I remembered, but oh so different. His milk chocolatey hair was still shagging over almost into his eyes, but his face wasn’t clean and smooth like it had once been. It was covered in what seemed to be the most perfect scruff I had ever laid eyes upon. He had started to get some wrinkles around his eyes. Just more proof of how long it had been since I had seen him. His once scrawny figure now had just a hint of muscle under his tight white t-shirt. God that smile though, it was still the same one that had made me fall in love so long ago. Damn it, what the hell was he doing here, after all these years?

I finished another bourbon as he was finishing up his last song. I looked to Ken to try and have another, “Forget it, TJ, you’re cut off,” Ken told me. He was using what I referred to as his ‘dad voice’ at this point so I knew it was time to stop drinking. Of course, I probably should have stopped drinking about three drinks ago because I was pretty unsure if I was even going to be able to form sentences now.

I watched Beau put his guitar in its case and talk to a few people as he walked from the stage towards the bar where I was sitting. A million things to say were running through my head, but my drunk self couldn’t decide before he approached me. Did he even recognize me? If he did, he certainly wasn’t saying anything. I shouldn’t be upset, it had been what? Four years now?

Drunk me has no filter though, “Seriously, you aren’t even going to say hello, fuckface?” I heard myself blurt out. Wow, way to go, bourbon! Too late to change it now because the words seemed to be written out in the cigarette smoke hanging in the bar.

He turned and looked at me, staring for what seemed like an eternity before he finally broke the silence, “Taylor Jane, I’ll be damned.” Really, Beau? That’s all you have to say to me after going 4 years without seeing or speaking to me?

“You’ll be damned, alright.” I scoffed and I was reaching to take another drink before I realized there wasn’t anything left in my glass. “What the hell are you doing here?” I half slurred.

“Well, I was playing a set,” He still had that same smart-ass attitude I remembered, guess I could add it to the list of things that hadn’t changed, “Now, I’m getting myself a drink.” He said, nodding towards the bar. Ken walked over, he raised his eyebrows at me, probably wondering what was going on. I just shook my head. We weren’t getting into that right now. Ken looked back to Beau, “Buffalo Trace, neat.” Beau told him and Ken gave me another questioning look.

“Alright, smartass,” I was struggling to speak without slurring my words together at this point but I was trying to keep that from being blatantly obvious. “I meant why’re you here, in Chicago, in my bar?”

I watched him as he took a few sips of his bourbon. I wasn’t sure if it was him or the alcohol that had caused the feeling of butterflies to appear in my stomach. I was 28 years old, I wasn’t supposed to get that feeling anymore. “I’ve been touring,” he started as he sat down on the bar stool next to mine, leaning one arm on the bar, “I’ve been all over, Tay, you’d be proud.” He took another sip and gave me that stupid smirk of his. I swear I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to smack a smile off someone’s face as bad as I did right then.

“Proud of you, huh?” I asked with a laugh, even though nothing was funny, really. “You’re still doing the same old shit. What’s to be proud of?” Normally, I’m a nice girl. When it came to Beau, though, I don’t think I could ever be nice to him again. I guess every girl has that one guy that really brings out the crazy bitch, and not in a good way either.

“Damn, someone is pissy.” He said, shaking his head at me. “Lighten up, we haven’t seen each other, let’s catch up.” He started to reach out and touch my arm. When he did my intoxicated reaction to jerk away was a little more of an overreaction. I ended up jerking away so hard that I slid off the leather covered bar stool and landed flat on my ass.

I couldn’t help but bust out laughing. It was either laugh or cry, and there was no way in hell that Beau was ever getting the pleasure of seeing me cry again. He hesitated at first but joined in laughing with me too. He stood up and held out a hand to help me up. I took his hand and stood up. “You alright?” Ken said, reminding me that there were other people here besides just the two of us.

“Yea, I’m good.” I told him as I was dusting the dirt and god knows what else off the ass of my dress. Then I realized I was still wearing a dress and heels, which made me laugh some more. “No wonder you didn’t recognize me. I’m wearing a fucking dress.” I blurted out again. You gotta love alcohol, it definitely deleted my filter for saying stupid things.

Beau laughed with me some more as we took our places back on our stools. “Yea, what’s up with that?” he asked grinning at me. I knew then that drinking so much tonight was not such a good idea after all.

“I had an important dinner. I didn’t go home to change first. Not that it’s your business.” I said flatly. I was trying to get back to my being mean. It was the only defense mechanism I had left at this point, but there was one more thing to add to the list of unchanged things: my bitchy attitude didn’t bother Beau at all.

“Last call!” Ken bellowed out so that everyone in the bar could hear him. I had forgotten that it was a Wednesday so the bar closed pretty early. Maybe that’d be a good thing for me. I could go home, pass out, and forget that Beau was ever here. That sounded like a nice idea.

“Well, guess I need to head home,” I announced. When I stood up I almost lost my balance but I recovered nicely. Hopefully Ken or anyone else hadn’t noticed. My apartment was nearby so I always just walked myself home. I grabbed my coat off the back of my stool and wrapped it around me tight. It was the middle of fall in the windy city, so it was surely cold outside. “I’ll see ya, Ken!” I waved to him as I pointedly took one step at a time towards the exit.

I was concentrating on my steps but as I got just outside the door, I noticed someone was with me. I looked up, and there was Beau. “What?” I asked him, stopping on the sidewalk. I was too drunk to walk and talk at the same time.

“You not even gonna catch up with an old friend?” He asked and gave me that same stupid smirk again. “Come on, I’ll walk you home. Make sure you don’t fall again or anything.” I was too drunk to argue with the offer right now. Plus, I really didn’t know if I was going to make it home at this rate or not so I just shrugged in agreement with him. He put an arm around my shoulders, pulling me a little too close to him for my liking, “Lead the way.” He said, smiling down at me. Now I knew that feeling of butterflies was definitely coming from him. I tried my best to ignore it, looked back down at my feet, and started my one step at a time rhythm back to my apartment.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:38 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here for a quick review.

Small note - this is currently rated 16+, but I'm pretty sure that since it has the f-word in it, it's supposed to be rated 18+. I could be wrong, but you may want to change that anyway.

On to the actual review. I don't honestly have too much to say, as TriSARAHtops already gave an excellent review, but I'll try anyway.

I especially agreed with what she said about the whole disconnect between your main character's drunkenness and the actual narration going on. Although some of the observations made about her drunken state vs. non-drunken are kind of funny, they do make it feel more like some outside, omniscient narrator is narrating rather than your main character herself.

I also felt like she felt the effects of it too abruptly. It basically goes straight from "oh, she's had a couple drinks" to "oh, she's had too many" to "look at how drunk she is." There's not really any gradual impairment of her thinking abilities, it's just bam, she's drunk.

Also, your initial description of Beau didn't really give me the right impression of him - when he later came over and actually talked to them he felt very different. I'm not sure if that's just because he was performing, but it did feel a bit strange.

Finally, there are just a few small things you could work on - some of your paragraphs tend to be a bit on the long side, and the transition between being in the bar and her leaving wasn't as smooth as it could have been.

But overall, this was a really nice work, and I wish I had more to say on it. Good luck with this!




User avatar
260 Reviews


Points: 15020
Reviews: 260

Donate
Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:22 am
TriSARAHtops wrote a review...



Hey again janarose! Finally made it around to chapter two!

I have to say, I thought that this chapter was considerably stronger than the previous one - in the nicest possible way, that is! I think you've managed to get into the rhythm of TJ's voice here, which makes reading a lot more enjoyable and compelling. It lacked some of the awkwardness that you had in chapter one, which was great to see. Definitely quite a bit smoother. If you keep this up, that'll be a very good thing.

On a similar note, you sentence structure was a lot better in this chapter than the previous. There were a couple of sentences that could maybe do with a little work, but in general, there was a good improvement in that department. (I just saw that you made a post about editing the first four chapters, so if this is the edited version, it's made a difference, for sure.)

There's a bit of a disconnect between TJ's thoughts and dialogue in terms of her drunkenness. I think the dialogue is quite plausible - she doesn't have a filter, she's slurring a bit, etc. But I feel like you could do more to show us that she's a bit intoxicated in the narration. How to explain. At the moment, her thought processes and perceptions are very aware and conscious, I guess would be the best way of putting it. I'm not much of a drinker, so I'm not exactly qualified to tell you how to improve the impression that she's drunk, but I'm going to try anyway I think that you maybe need to take a step back from act of narrating, in a way. Worry less about imparting all the information, and really let TJ's reactions do the talking. Because they're the strongest moments, like when TJ's laughing at herself for falling off the stool, when she realises there's nothing in her glass. It's kind of a showing versus telling thing (which is about the driest piece of writing advice ever, but bear with me). You use phrases like "drunk-me" and "my intoxicated self" (or variations there upon), which kind of pull the reader out of the situation. If you can convey her drunkenness successfully through action, her reactions (both mental and physical) and description, you don't need to remind the reader that she's drunk, they'll already know. Let her thoughts be a little muddled, let her stumble or slur, and the situation will feel more authentic.

I thought the dialogue between Beau and TJ worked quite well, in the sense that you managed to balance out the sort of bitterness and sharpness in the way they spoke to each other with giving context (but still a little suspense) about why she was speaking to him (and him her) the way she was. The conversation flowed pretty naturally, I felt, although I think some of the dialogue felt a little bit forced in the attitude of it. That's something that will probably get better as you get into the story and become better acquainted with the characters.

I feel like I don't quite have a grasp on who TJ is as a person yet. I think that's something that will change as they story goes on, because it's still early days. There's definitely hints of something interesting, so I'm hoping to see how that develops.

Top job, and see you at chapter three!





But what about second breakfast?
— Peregrin Took