z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Mature Content

Crash Into Me (Near To You - Chapter 4)

by janarose


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

Beau seemed a little nervous as we entered the little hole-in-the-wall restaurant. I had discovered Chuck’s about 4 or 5 months after moving to Chicago while on the search for some comfort food. I was extremely homesick and besides the bourbon, I was missing one thing from home: southern fried chicken. After trying it at several different places, and none of them satisfying the craving, I stumbled upon Chuck’s one evening. I had been coming here anytime I had a hankering ever since. I had a feeling on a night like tonight, I was definitely going to need my comfort food.

“Don’t be nervous,” I assured him with a grin, “this place is the closest thing you can get to Mama’s home cooking out here.” He’d know I was referring to my grandmother because well, everyone that knew the lady called her Mama. It was a Southern thing.

“Good to know,” we helped ourselves to a booth next to a window that looked out on to the now darkening street, “but it’s not the food I’m worried about.” He told me. He gave me a half smirk and I knew what he was referring to.

“Ahh, yes,” I nodded, since our little encounter. There was a giant elephant in between us. I knew we needed to talk, but at the same time, I had absolutely no idea where to even begin. There was 4 years between us now, and we certainly hadn’t left things on good terms at all.

Luckily, my worrying was interrupted by the waitress, “Can I start you two off with something to drink?” she asked with her lovely, yet fake, work smile plastered across her bright red lips.

“I’ll have a Dr. Pepper.” I told her, returning the polite smile.

“Same.” Beau nodded at her. I could tell he was going through the same issues as me in his head, if not something very similar. This situation was awkward for the both of us, and realizing that made it a little harder for me to stay as angry. It was really just a big coincidence if you thought about it. I’d call it fate or something cheesy like that, but let’s get real, I’m just not that kind of girl.

“So, what have you been up to for the past four years?” I asked. I mean, we were here, might as well catch up with him. At one point, Beau had honestly been my best friend. We were that couple, that couple that everyone else hated. That couple that hadn’t let becoming a couple change our friendship. Until we weren’t anymore.

He chuckled a bit, “Well, honestly?” I nodded for him to continue, “Not much has changed really. After you left, I was in a bad place for a while, but a lot of good music came from it. Sadly, as you know, my best work comes when I’m intoxicated and emotional.”

The waitress returned, sitting our drinks down on the laminate teal ‘marble’ table top. One of the reasons I loved this place was because it seriously looked like something out of a time-capsule. The classic diner look just screamed 1950s and it was just comforting, everything about it. “Alright, are you two ready to order?” She gave us questioning glances. We looked at each other and back at the waitress, nodding our heads in agreement. “Ok, what will you be having this evening?” She asked, looking to me first.

“I’ll have the fried chicken dinner, with the mac & cheese and mashed potatoes for my sides. And also, can I get a small order of gravy with that.” I told her my order. She must have been new here because I didn’t recognize her like I did the other waitresses.

She looked over at Beau, “You know what, I’ll have the same, just no gravy for me.” He told her, smiling politely as she repeated our order back. We both nodded letting her know it was all correct.

“Alright, I’ll have that right out to you guys.” She chirped, scurrying back toward the kitchen. Leaving us to continue our conversation.

“Anyways, so you’ve just been getting drunk and writing music for four years, huh?” I jabbed. I thought I was funny, most others wouldn’t agree. I had a strange sense of humor, or so I had been told.

“Well, no.” he said with a shake of his head, trying to hide the half grin he had. Beau understood my humor, even when he hated it. “I was only drunk for about a year. Wrote a lot of depressing shit, and then I woke up one morning to Thomas banging on the door. He was with Heather, and they said they were having an ‘intervention’ for me.” He used air quotes around the word intervention, like some teenaged girl from the early 2000s.

I couldn’t help but laugh at that, “Are you fucking serious?” I squeezed out in between my giggles. He nodded his head, smiling a little more, I guess he found it funnier now than he had then. “Horny Heather held an intervention for you? My god, that’s hilarious. How are Heather and Tommy boy now, by the way?” I asked him. Heather was my college roommate and once a great friend. I hadn’t even talked to her since I left Kentucky. I was fully intent on leaving my entire life behind me there, but I had to admit I missed my old friends sometimes. And Thomas, well, he was one of Beau’s friends that I just kind of adopted as one of my own, the way that happens with couples sometimes.

“They’re married.” He said simply, looking at me to see my reaction.

“Married?!” I exclaimed and almost spit my drink across the table at him. I opted to swallow it instead. “Like, to each other?!” I asked, excitedly. He nodded, grinning, I guess that was the reaction he was expecting. “When the hell did that happen?” I questioned. It was surprising, really. Heather just was not the marrying kind. Or at least she didn’t use to be. I mean, they hadn’t started calling her ‘Horny Heather’ for no reason. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the girl to death, but she was very… promiscuous, to say the least. And Thomas, he was a nice guy, but kind of a burnout. He definitely wasn’t Heather’s ‘type’. She normally would go for the more jock type of guys. Of course, get enough tequila in her and the girl probably would have fucked Steve Urkel.

“Well, I had a little show one night at Kelly’s and of course they were both there. Both drinking. I’m pretty sure that Tommy had some acid or mushrooms or something. And he offered some to Heather. So they were both tripping pretty hard before I even finished my set.” He paused, taking a sip of Dr. Pepper. I nodded for him to continue. I really needed to know how those two ended up together, let alone MARRIED! “So, I get finished and go to join them for a few drinks, but by this time, Tommy is telling me, ‘Man, we gotta go. We gotta get out of here. They’re coming, man.’ So I tried arguing with him but it wasn’t happening and I couldn’t let those two leave alone. I took them back to the apartment. Well, them and another girl I was seeing at the time…”

I gave him a glare. “Seeing huh?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

“Ok, not really seeing her, but that’s not the point.” I waved my hand at him, telling him to go on. He sighed, “Well, apparently while me and this girl were… busy.” He paused briefly and caught my glare again, “Anyways, long story short, they hooked up and according to Tommy ‘it was, like, meant to be, man’.” He nodded, letting me know he was finished.

“So… they got together based off a hallucinogenic induced hook-up?” I questioned. Honestly it wasn’t surprising coming from the two of them, but somehow I was still shocked. He nodded at me. “Well, how fucking romantic.” I quipped, “And when was this?” I asked, still curious about my old life since it had come to haunt me anyhow.

“August 1st will be their 2 year wedding anniversary.” He told me as the waitress walked towards us to sit our plates down on the table.

“Everything look alright?” She asked politely, we nodded. “Ok, you all let me know if I can get you anything else!” She grinned before scurrying off again.

“Damn, who would’ve guessed?” I said, still trying to wrap my head around it.

“Right?” He said in agreement as he took another drink of soda.

“Anyways, you had your intervention, then what?” I asked, still curious to know about him. As interesting as Heather and Tommy’s happily ever after was, it was him I was catching up with.

“Oh yea, I had my intervention, and then I threw myself into my music in a good way. I ended up working at the record store until I finally got myself a manager and then I recorded an EP. And now, I’m just sort of traveling around playing shows where ever I can until I record my first album, which I’m supposed to start in December.” He told me, blowing on a bite of chicken before shoving it into his mouth.

“Wow. Well, I’m proud of you. Living your dream, it sounds like.” I told him with a smile, taking a bite of food myself. Beau was a musician, through and through. Never once had he been willing to give up on his dream. It was something I admired him for in the beginning. Hell, I was one of his biggest supporters, his number one fan. Until I wasn’t anymore.

We continued chatting about stuff with him in between bites of food. As we slowed down on eating, he asked me the same question, “So what about you, how have you been?”

“Me?” I questioned. I took a sip of my drink before continuing, “Well, I got my Agent position, which is when I moved out here. I’ve been doing great at that, I actually just interviewed for the SAC position which is what I was all dressed up for at the bar.” I nodded at him. I didn’t really have a lot of interesting stories like he did. Since I had moved out here it had been pretty much all work and no play. Aside from hanging out at Paddy’s with Ken.

“SAC?” He asked with a raised brow.

“Oh, Special Agent in Charge.” I told him with a nod.

“So, besides work?” He was begging me to tell him more. Sadly, there wasn’t much to tell for me.

“I mean, you said it yourself right? Work is all that matters to me.” I churned. I wasn’t sure if he’d realize I was throwing some of his old words back at him.

“Don’t do that.” He grimaced. I raised my eye brows at him, feigning innocence. “We’re having a good night, don’t ruin it.”

“Ruining it would be me asking how whatsername is doing. What was it, Liz? Yea, I could ask how she is.” I spit. I could be a grade-A bitch when I wanted to be. I also just enjoyed seeing him squirm a little though. I mean, he deserved a lot more than that, but maybe I would get to that later.

“Dammit, Taylor, are we seriously going to do this right now?” He met my eyes with a pleading look.

“Fine,” I shook my head at him, “We can postpone fighting for later. Besides, I want some dessert. Share some apple pie with me?” I asked. And just like that, I flipped my bitch switch into the off position. I was able to do that, most of the time anyhow. And even if I didn’t want to admit it, I was having a good time catching up with Beau.

“Just like that, huh?” He questioned, shaking his head with a little laugh, I nodded at him. “Fine. Sure then, apple pie it is.” He agreed.

We ordered the dessert. He continued telling me stories of his musical adventures as we shared the apple pie ala mode. And for a while it was like old times, and I forgot about him ever breaking my heart.

“Let’s get outta here,” He smirked at me as we walked down the sidewalk together leading back to my apartment. Somewhere between Chuck’s and my front door we had ended up holding hands. Old habits, right?

We walked into the apartment and I pulled down two glasses from the cabinet. “Drinks?” I asked him. There were still so many things I wanted to know about his escapades as a touring artist and of course more about Tommy and Heather’s crazy antics. As if getting married wasn’t crazy enough for them.

I filled the glasses with bourbon and he continued telling me stories. Somewhere in between him telling me about the homeless guy trying to rob him in Arkansas, and an insane story about Heather and Tommy going on some weird ‘hippy vacation’ - I ended up drunk and snuggled up to him on my sofa. He ran his callused fingers slowly through my auburn hair. I rolled from my side to my back so I was looking up at him from his lap. “I’m glad we did this.” I told him with a lazy, drunken smile.

“Me too.” He mused, returning the grin. Then his lips were on mine. Our lips moved together slowly at first, soft kisses slowly turned into more deep and urgent ones. No wonder I’d had to move across the country to get away from him. If I had stayed in Kentucky, I’d had never have gotten away from these kisses, these hands.

Before Beau showed up, it had been a long while since I had been with anyone. Maybe I could just blame it all on that. Even though I was pretty sure it was just a Beau thing. He always had held some sort of power over me. Something to do with those eyes, that pleading look he got in them, and my god… those hands. They were callused but soft and smooth in all the right places. He touched me tenderly. I swear, being there - kissing him and our bodies crashing into each other like this - it made me wonder why we had ever stopped to begin with.

Oh yea. I remember now. Liz. But those lips, those hands, and those hips grinding into me like they are. I put the past into the back of my head and succumb to the now. The now which was currently undressing me for the second night in a row. I needed to get a damn grip on my hormones or something, but I could do that in the morning. For now, I was going to enjoy myself.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:37 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there janarose. It's just lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

Okay so earlier this morning I reviewed your fifth chapter but then I decided to go back and read some more of the story. I found the fourth chapter in the green room and instead of starting at 1 like the logical way, I went back to four. So, I haven't read 1-3 or 6 yet so my character guesses may still be wrong. Again, please feel free to correct me at any time if my assumptions prove to be incorrect. My review is the second on this piece so let's get your chapter out of the green room.

1. The rating dilemma has come up once again and once again your rating was not high enough because of your choice of curse words. I wasn't sure about the f--- 18+ rating before but the other reviewer's comments have assured me that you need to change it. I really don't know how much of a rule it plays in your story but if it is a recurring theme, I don't think that I can continue with these reviews. The cursing just seems like a but much and takes away more than it gives. To me it is just an awkward situation for the rest of the diners because there is this couple sitting in a booth, talking loud, and just throwing f--- around casually. That doesn't seem very realistic but it all depends on your assessment of the situation.

2. My review is going to be a lot shorter this time due to less happening. So it's obvious to me at this point now that I have read part of the backstory to chapter 5 that this is her ex-boyfriend. And the sex situation has happened multiple times already in two or three chapters. So that aspect is already overused and you are only five chapters in. I think you need to plan out the story a little better. I can see in this chapter of the story where that stuff was necessary but in relation to your other one it might not have been.

3. The whole thing is really bland, simple, and shows little to no emotion. Throw in a whole dump truck load of bad decisions and my interest was lost. There is nothing at the end of this chapter to keep me focused on the story and wanting to read more. In the other chapter I had this serial killer case. Now I just have some lovers and the mc doubting herself for falling back in love with her ex-boyfriend. Extremely overused and disappointing to me but for others that might be what they are looking for in a book.

4. As far as grammar/spelling/typos goes there was nothing that I could find. Then again I'm not the best authority on that. There was this one line that didn't flow right to me.

“Good to know,” we helped ourselves to a booth next to a window that looked out on to the now darkening street, “but it’s not the food I’m worried about.” He told me. He gave me a half smirk and I knew what he was referring to.

Okay so look at the first part of the dialogue. "Good to know" felt to me like it should be its own sentence. Otherwise everything is really jumbled. Here's a sample fix of those lines.
"Good to know." We helped ourselves to a booth next to a window that looked out on to the now darkening street. "But it's not the food I'm worried about," he told me.

To me that just makes the lines work together better.

5. Well that's about all I have for this review. It was short but so was your chapter. You already had one great review from the other reviewer so I don't want our review to overlap.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
-lizzy




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:16 pm
Mea wrote a review...



Hey, guess what, I'm back again! (Also again, you need to rate this 18+ for the f-bomb.) Sorry if this is a bit short, I'm kind of limited on time.

I kind of felt this chapter wasn't as well put together as the others. In general, your dialogue felt more stilted and awkward than it had previously, I didn't get as strong a sense of their characters in their dialogue, and it felt like it meandered a bit too much.

I think my main problem with this was that at the end, nothing changed. They went out for the big talk, to work through everything that was going on, and they just ended up talking about some people that we as readers don't really know much or care much about. They don't talk about themselves, and they seem far too at ease with each other considering all the supposed history between them.

And then they just go home and have sex again. This time, it felt even more odd then last time. Last time, I was ready to buy it - I just thought you should tweak a bit of the setup to make it slightly smoother. This time, it just didn't work for me at all. She hasn't addressed any of her bitter feelings or anything like that, and she's just going to have sex with him again. Maybe this is just because I have never really felt super attracted to anyone myself, but I really don't feel like mere hormones would be enough to overcome the four years of her being bitter about whatever it was happened back then. Maybe, if she'd forgiven him and moved on, maybe. But bitterness is a strong emotion, and although the narrative claims she feels it, her actions don't concur.

So yeah, I think this part could use a little work. If anything I said was confusing, just ask, and I'm sorry if I was a little too blunt - it really is very late at night.





Ghosts, demons, and ghouls cannot scare the cat's underling.
— TheMulticoloredCyr