z

Young Writers Society



Hospital

by irnbru666


I am immersed in the sterile stench of this place. I wish I wasn’t here. I wish I didn’t have to be. The noisy rush continues around my solemn stillness in slow motion – a blur of white and red. I wish it was the strawberries and cream I usually associate these colours with, but its doctors coats and blood. Soon I will have to take that long journey to where she lies, the high observation surgical unit I think it’s called. What a mouthful. I imagine her, bathed in a bed of wires and tubes sneaking in and coming out from every orifice. I try to prepare myself, but how can I prepare myself for the death of my mother? I hope she is okay. Perhaps I’m being overdramatic, but it’s never put her in hospital before.

I try for a moment to escape this hole, to revert to some white void where this isn’t happening, back into my tear stained cocoon. She’s on the floor. She’s mumbling something, like she’s in some kind of trance.

“Wake uuup!!” I plead, shaking her with all the adolescent strength I can muster. It goes foggy as I remember Dad coming in and lifting her up, like Superman, on to the bed and phoning the doctor. The memory flows into thoughts of that long hallway in our old house, filled with her poisonous smoke emitting from the white stick between her limp fingers. We’re laughing about something, sitting cross legged against the walls, like two friends, until suddenly I remember that she’s drunk. It falls on me like a tonne of bricks and I begin to cry, that loud wail of a cry that children do. She tries to touch me, those fingers, infected. I recoil. Her tiny pupils stare at me accusingly,

“I’m a bad mother, aren’t I?” she asks with that typical drunkard’s self pity.

“No, no, I love you, you’re the best Mum.” I say to her glazed eyes, trying to penetrate her shield of alcohol with my white lies.

“It’s time now.”

I’m shaken back to the present day. A soft featured nurse is smiling at me. I have a sudden urge to throw myself into her arms like a loony, to confess and apologise and beg for forgiveness, before I remember myself and get up and compose myself, ready to follow her, to take the long walk to her. This feels like a journey. I don’t want to reach the end. I savour each moment that I’m not there yet. I want to stay here in this disinfected limbo where answers and few and unwanted, like some kind of cancer. I try to avoid it but every sign seems to direct me there, “High Observation Surgical Unit”. Surely I’m not there yet, I think, perhaps this is the wrong one, this can’t be it already? Please no.

I continue, through the heavy double doors and past rooms of people, hundreds of them, hooked up to all sorts of machines and things that continually go ‘beep’. They stretch past me, pulling at the edges of my face like a mask, pulling me back to them, away from her.

The breath is whipped from my lungs. A flimsy figure is slumped over in a bed, unrecognisable. She’s the same as she was, except she wears a hospital nightgown, and tubes tangle around her – in her arm, in her wrist, in her nose. I rub the alcohol over my hands, and absorb the irony.

There’s still some there I think, a slight taint in her eyes. The nurse assures me it’s the morphine. She disgusts me, and I want to reach out and take that white hand and hold it all night. I want the perpetual beep of her monitor to drive me mad like I think she is sometimes. I want to experience her madness, if only for a little while, just to understand, so I’m not blind to her world and stuck in mine.

I pull myself away, to the shop down the road. I wander around the aisles in a downbeat daze, looking for something to cheer her up. I come face to face with them, her enemy, and I try to make it mine. I absorb the words, the colours, the different colours of glass bottles and try to feel something. Other than the dull burning in the pit of my stomach I can’t summon up the feverish hate I so wish to.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
161 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 161

Donate
Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:16 am
Cassandra wrote a review...



I wish it was the strawberries and cream I usually associate these colours with, but its doctors coats and blood.


I wish it were...but it's doctors' coats and blood.

high observation surgical unit


I'm thinking this probably needs to be capitalized, because it's the name of a unit in the hospital.

tear stained cocoon


tear-stanied cocoon, I think.

“Wake uuup!!”


The superfluous "u"s in "up" make what should sound serious look silly, if that makes sense. Just stick to "Wake up!"

sitting cross legged against the walls


cross-legged, I think.

It goes foggy as I remember Dad coming in and lifting her up, like Superman, on to the bed and phoning the doctor.


The "Superman" comment is good: it makes us understand the person's age in this memory, softens the mood almost. I don't know why, but I liked it. :D

Also, at the beginning of this quote, when you say "It goes foggy"; what goes foggy? The main character's vision? Their surroundings? You might want to specify.

“No, no, I love you, you’re the best Mum.” I say to her glazed eyes, trying to penetrate her shield of alcohol with my white lies.


That period after "Mum" should be a comma, because you have "I say" after it.

I loved this sentence, though. Very nice.

A soft featured nurse is smiling at me.


soft-featured

But I could be wrong about all these hyphens. ;)

I have a sudden urge to throw myself into her arms like a loony, to confess and apologise and beg for forgiveness, before I remember myself and get up and compose myself, ready to follow her, to take the long walk to her.


This is a verrry long sentence that you might want to consider breaking up into smaller sentences, and you also use the word "myself" twice in the sentence, which is repetitive.

I savour each moment that I’m not there yet.


I understand what you're trying to say here, but this sentence sounds awkward. Maybe something like, I savour each moment in which I am still in this hallway, not in that room. Or something to that effect.

where answers and few and unwanted,


Did you mean "where answers are few and unwanted"?

A flimsy figure is slumped over in a bed, unrecognisable. She’s the same as she was,


Here you contradict yourself. You say that she's unrecognizable, but then you say she's the same. What?

She disgusts me, and I want to reach out and take that white hand and hold it all night.


Maybe change it to: "She disgusts me, but I want to..."

I pull myself away, to the shop down the road. I wander around the aisles in a downbeat daze, looking for something to cheer her up. I come face to face with them, her enemy, and I try to make it mine. I absorb the words, the colours, the different colours of glass bottles and try to feel something. Other than the dull burning in the pit of my stomach I can’t summon up the feverish hate I so wish to.


This was an unsatisfying ending for such an emotionally charged peace. It was very abrupt when the main character left the mother, and the last few sentences were worded a bit confusingly. The reader is going to remember the ending: it's the last bit they read! So make sure it leaves a good impression.

---

Apart from any grammatical errors, this was very well-written. The emotions were realistic and the main character was easy to relate to. With a bit of tweaking, I have confidence that this has the potential to be a great piece. :D




User avatar
657 Reviews


Points: 6523
Reviews: 657

Donate
Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:38 am
Jennafina wrote a review...



I wish I wasn’t here.


I wish I weren't here.

The memory flows into thoughts of that long hallway in our old house, filled with her poisonous smoke emitting from the white stick between her limp fingers.


I'd just say cigarette.

“No, no, I love you, you’re the best Mum.” I say to her glazed eyes, trying to penetrate her shield of alcohol with my white lies.



I like this sentence, but not how eyes and lies rhyme. Sorry, that's just a nitpick, but you could just say, 'I say to her, trying to penetrate her shied of alcohol with my white lies.' You don't need the extra fluffy description.

I have a sudden urge to throw myself into her arms like a loony, to confess and apologise and beg for forgiveness, before I remember myself and get up and compose myself, ready to follow her, to take the long walk to her.


This sentence is too long, and you say myself twice.

I didn't go through all of your sentences and write about them, just the ones I think need the most fixing. A lot of this could benefit from a revision, especially long compound sentences. You don't need so much description, only what's relevant. I like how you describe the tubes in the narrator's mother, but i don't think you need to go into details about all the angst he/she is feeling. A lot of the time it's best to be specific, like saying cigarette instead of white stick. Almost everyone knows what a cigarette looks like, so you don't have to describe it in detail unless it's crucial to your plot.

The memories would do better if they were expanded. I would be able to relate better to your character if I had a clearer view of his/her past. I can't tell wether or not he/she likes his/her mother. It seems like the mom might be depressed while she's drunk, but I don't know, she might be abusive instead.

Good luck, I'll look for the rest if you decide to post it!




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:57 pm
Esmé wrote a review...



Hm, as Writergirl said, it was good but not my style, lol.

I couldn't catch any mistakes, and that a big plus for you. However, at some times I had a feelig that this was a bit mellodramatic. Not always, but there was one moment where it was a bit awkward.

Also, the piecing. I understand that it's part of how it's written, but sometimes its a bit incomprehensible...

Anyways, good job

-elein




User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:40 pm
Emma says...



Wow, it really caught my attention. It felt so real, as if you've been here before. If not; then you're amazing at getting into the character. You have talent. Keep it up.:]




User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 113

Donate
Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:49 am
writergirl007 says...



It's written well. Not my style so much. It's good though. Write something esle. You have a real talent. Writergirl




User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 2831
Reviews: 170

Donate
Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:05 am
Lindsaroo says...



That was REALLY REALLY REALLY good!!!
You're a great writer
2 thumbs up!!!
=)





Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson