z

Young Writers Society



Fairy Realm

by inkling


Me and my friend wrote this during school so I dont know if it's any good...


In the realm of the fairies,
a tiny queen is born.
It is harvest moon night,
and the rest is time in the mourn.

But wait! Twilight is breaking,
the Queen raises her hand.
And instantly beauty sweeps,
all throughout the land.

The Old Queen perished,
during the birth of her only child.
So, how will the little fairy grow,
control the wars of the wild?

She's just a tiny baby,
but hope lies in her hands.
And perhaps she still can save us,
from peril in the sands.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 1894
Reviews: 114

Donate
Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:35 am
RoryLegend wrote a review...



I liked it, good imagery. It made me picture a scene from a disney movie that I can't remember the name of where Goofy is a faery and has to save someone. Random and weird I know, but it made me smile all the same, and I love smiling.

~Rory Evelyn Legend




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 25

Donate

User avatar
266 Reviews


Points: 1726
Reviews: 266

Donate
Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:40 am
backgroundbob wrote a review...



A jointly-composed poem :) teamwork at its finest!

Now then, about your poem: I think it needs some work, but I also think its got potential to be an incredibly interesting and riveting piece of work. There's a reason that the 'half-world', including faeries, form the subject of some of the more intriguing works of literature we have, and that's because it is a naturally free topic, something people finf they can experiment with and break the conventional laws of storytelling. I guess what I'm saying is that you have something here with the potential to be almost anything.

Toward that, then, you're going to have to develop this story, tease some background out for us: what are these wars that are raging? Did the Old Queen plan this, did she know it was coming? Is this representative of something, are they repercussions in our world? Things like this you have the power to take anywhere, because it's your fantasy world, you make the rules.

This has so much potential, I'd really like to see you take one idea from it, work on a narrative and a philosophy, and run with it - I think you could draft and redraft this a few times and make it something really excellent and mind-bending.

Good luck! I hope we'll see more of this one.




User avatar
183 Reviews


Points: 2168
Reviews: 183

Donate
Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:04 pm
LoveableLittleSock wrote a review...



In the realm of the fairies,
a tiny queen is born.
It is harvest moon night,
and the rest is time in the morn. - "mourn"

But wait! twilight is breaking, - capatalize twilight
the Queen raises her hand.
And instantly beauty sweeps,
all throughout the land.

The Old Queen perished,
during the birth of her only child.
So, how will the little fairy grow,
control the wars of the wild?

She's just a tiny baby,
but hope lies in her hands.
And perhaps she still can save us,
from peril in the sands.


A poem could be extremely sucky, but if it rhymed well I would love it.
This poem wasn't sucky though :) It was pretty good. So lets do some math!
Good poem + Rhyming = Freakin' Awesome poem.
Math doesn't lie.
You should write a sequal to this poem, after you touch it up a bit. Capatalize some things and correct some misspellings.
Great job!
KEEP WRITING!




User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 5238
Reviews: 174

Donate
Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:14 am
EliteHusky says...



Great poem. The use of "but" to begin the second verse indicated a change in the movement/flow of the entire piece. Maybe I'm over examining it, but for some reason I'm drawn to reading poems about fairies!

Warm Regards!
-Elitehusky




User avatar
582 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 582

Donate
Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:56 am
KJ wrote a review...



and the rest is time in the morn

This line doesn't feel right. You meant "morn" as in "morning", right?


he queen raises her hand

The queen raises her hand. And by the way, later on in the poem you capitalize queen. Is this the same queen or a different one?


The old Queen perished

I think it would look better if "old" is capitalized. The Old Queen perished.
control the wars of wild

I think it would sound better as "control the wars of the wild".

Now on a more positive note, I really enjoyed it. I like these types of fantasy stories and poems, so I didn't get bored reading. It was creative, and the story in it was interesting. Some of the words are a little too simple, I think. "She's just a little baby" also didn't feel right. Maybe "She was just a small child" would be better. A little food for thought.





It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl