z

Young Writers Society



The Ashes of Tomorrow

by indigochild1991


What is this? Where am I? I'm in Hell, that's where. This can't be my hometown, where I went to school, and was happy, contented, perhaps even naive child-the way that children should be. I've never really believed in Heaven or Hell, to be honest, but people always told me that it was the worst place ever. Things couldn't get worse than this. They just can't.

I work as a nurse here, in a children's ward. It's torture. The children that enter through the old crumbling door are left maimed, mutilated and broken by the soldiers who come from America and England and who knows where else to fight for their country, for honour. If honour is violating children, leaving their mothers crying over their tiny broken bodies, then they're doing a great job. Why stop there, though? They don't let medical supplies through, to help the most vulnerable in society, who want nothing to do with the fighting and violence-they just want to be kids. Without those supplies, they die. We just can't save them.

What can I say? I don't feel bad or guilty for the emotions that I express to the great unhappiness of so many. They are children. Innocent little beings. Why do this? Why?

Iraq was never perfect, but we got by. Young people had futures to look to. Their futures, for so many of them, lie in ashes. How can this war be for the greater good? How?

I look out the window of the hospital, at the soot and dust polluted morning air. I remember when I would step out into the sunshine, breathing in the deliciously fresh air of early morning. Not anymore. The houses that once stood as proud protectors of their inhabitants lie in ashes, meer rubble, the inhabitants often with them.

Before my shift ends, I go up to the room of a little girl, little Aaliyah. Last week, she was a regular happy, naive child-bless her. Now she's missing her left arm, and part of her face has been burned beyond recognition. For the honour of the soldier's countries. I touch Aaliyah's tiny hand, closing my eyes to the tears that sting my eyelids, that won't give up no matter how had I try to stop them.

Out into the warzone that is my home I now go. The bangs and blasts in the distance aren't that uncommon anymore. Oh please, help us...I silently cry in despair. The emotions that I feel are too big, too much. Nothing can be said to make the sights in those wards OK...nothing can be said. I fall to my knees, surrendering the sob that I have been supressing. I have never felt so alone as I stand in the very depths of Hell.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
263 Reviews


Points: 4362
Reviews: 263

Donate
Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:24 pm
Angels-Symphony wrote a review...



indigochild1991 wrote:What is this place? This isn't my home. This isn't where I grew up, and went to school...it couldn't be. I don't believe in Hell, but if there was a Hell, this is it. I'm in Hell. Along with so many others....along with those children, those poor maimed children, who's(whose) cries echo through the ashy air, crying for their future....crying for tomorrow.

Working as a nurse in this hospital is like an endless totrure, working to heal the children that the soldiers violated with their bombs and guns and tanks. They call us villains. They call us bad, evil people who must be exterminated. How could we be the villains? Hoe(How) can they call us villains while they destroy schools filled with tiny pupils(no comma) who's(whose) mothers lie in the streets over their baby's bodies. How can we be the bad guys?

Iraq wasn't always like this. We were never perfect, but we got by. Children went to school and were safe. Now so many of them lie maimed, or worse(,) in the beds of this very hospital. My heart aches(no comma) and the tears spill when I see their tiny bodies, often missing limbs, with faces barely recognisable. I cry in anger...why? That's what I don't understand. Why is this happening? Why are we judged like this? I mean(NC) I'm just a twenty year old girl(NC) with hopes and dreams and a life...but when so many hear that I'm Iraqui, they hate me. Hatred over what? I'm a good person.

It's normal here now to hear a blast here and there. To see another builiding go up in smoke(NC) and to see tanks smash through the town. The tanks are owned by the soldiers who won't let medical supplies through, so the people in the hospitals die. They just die. We can't save them.

Before I leave the hospital on my break, I check up on little Aaliyah. She's in here because her school was bombed, but she and a few others survibed(survived). Now, though, she's missing her left arm, and has severe burns on her face and chest. I touch the little girl's hand, and close my eyes, holding back the tears.

I leave the hospital now, venturing out into the war zone that is my home. Soot and dust fill the air, and houses that once stood proud lie in ashes. The sky is painted red with the blood of the slaughtered Iraquis. I stand alone, in the dark, dreary pits of Hell.


Indigo, I have no words... I am awed, speechless. This was really beautiful. Seeing the other side of the story is really eye-opener. The idea of this is so true, and the honesty of this piece just makes it even more real. It seems to me you use understatements since the situation is actually worse than you can put into words. I understand that. You're like the holocaust writer Elise Wiesel. He speaks through the silence between his words. Your writing seems to have darkness hidden between the lines also. I caught a few spelling and convention errors, but other than that, amazing. Keep writing! I'll definitely come back for more ;)

~Shina




User avatar
88 Reviews


Points: 4524
Reviews: 88

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:10 pm
TexanWriter wrote a review...



Hey! Tex here, critiquing your work. This was really amazing. However, I do have a few grammar things:

Along with so many others....along with those children


1) I can't remember what they are called, but it's just three dots, not four. Like so: ...

2) There should be a space between the "..." and the "along"

3) You put quite a few ... things in this piece. Normally, I'd say for s short piece like this, use one. Tops.

Otherwise, great!

Over and Out,
Tex





"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind