z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

I am Not Malala

by indieeloise


Still dressed in my uniform, I write this in the early evening after having attended an eight-hour day of public schooling. The obstacles I have faced this particular day include a technical malfunction with a school newspaper article and a delay in being able to eat the lunch I packed for myself because of it. In Pakistan, children huddle under lanterns on concrete floors, poring over the day’s studies, trying to focus on English and Urdu instead of whether or not their status will change from student to refugee in the next twenty-four hours. During my classes throughout the day, I often hear complaints and groans when our teachers give us reading assignments. In Pakistan, over 70% of the female population is illiterate. I hear my peers in the hallways of my school counting down the days until the weekend or a holiday break, while, halfway across the world, girls my age are gunned down for expressing their desire to learn.

I view Malala as an inspiration: not because I feel that I can relate to her story, but because, in her, I see all that I have ever aspired to be. I am not Malala. I have not been raised in a war-stricken country. I do not step into a realm of fear the second I walk out of my front door. But I do search my own soul in the reflection of the shield of her faith. Now that I know of Malala and her story, it is my responsibility to expand my horizons beyond the pattern of ignorance, and to highlight the existence of those horizons for those that have been blinded by the sun. To quote a favorite author of mine, “Once you live a good story, you get a taste for a kind of meaning in life, and you can’t go back to being normal; you can’t go back to meaningless scenes stitched together by the forgettable thread of wasted time.” The reality of ignorance exists beyond a lack of knowledge. Its shadows reign in the failure to recognize that you and others are at all lacking to begin with. I stand with Malala in her belief that all it takes is a taste of opportunity, floating around out there somewhere, for someone’s life to be changed, and that those of us that are capable must do all that we can to show them how to reach it.

Gul Malkai and Malala Yousafzai are one. She continues to unlock the potential of one fingerprint on the history of the world through self-leadership. On October 9, 2012, she was shot for a greater cause than bravery. That sole bullet held all the odds against the fruition of this generation. With her survival, she has defeated them. Her impassioned flame has left a trail leading to equality and peace: the only requirements are to take up your pen and paper, and follow it.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:07 pm
Gravity wrote a review...



I think this essay is really good. As for the quote, you have to cite it. So you could say My favorite author,(name of author), said... etc. etc.
Also, the middle paragraph is really long. A paragraph should be somewhere between 5 and 7 sentences. So you should try to break up that paragraph a little bit. I also think that since this is an essay, it should have been longer. You really didn't touch on what Malala even did or what she did to inspire you, it's included as a last minute thought in the final paragraph. You should mention what she did in paragraph one, and then go into what students in Pakistan are doing. I hope this helped. Overall, I like the concept of your essay, I just feel it could've been better executed and better organized.




User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 2117
Reviews: 159

Donate
Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:30 am
Skydreamer says...



I love this.




User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11170
Reviews: 508

Donate
Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:04 am
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...



I liked how this piece pointed out how much most school children take for granted. People really don't stop to think about what they do have, and the time they do spend focusing on something is typically spent focusing on what they can complain about. So good job on that end.
I also liked how the essay pointed out that once you live something more than ordinary, you can never go back. You stated your points pretty well and I liked the wording.
This was the only sentence that read rough "its shadows reign in the failure to recognize that...". I think if you broke this into two sentences it might not be so hard to read.

Otherwise good job, and hope this helps!





The emperor is rich, but he can't buy another day.
— Chinese Proverb