12+

Becoming Human

by iamanaspiringwriter

They once called us flowers

They said our skin was made of snowbells,

our lips were like lush petals kissed by the blood of an angel.

We were roses; we had thorns

that made us play hard-to-get.

The only thing we ever did

was giggle and smile.

We were perfect.

We were

perfect flower girls that turned heads as they walked through town

Perfect flower girls that were immune to any emotion besides happiness

Perfect flower girls that seemed like we couldn’t possibly be real.      

[]                                                  

They said they would love us forever.

And with our whole hearts, we believed them.

[]

But as the creases became more apparent

the cracks that came with our age erupted on our once smooth petals

as giggles were replaced with sighs and

smiles with looks of indifference

As happy mixed with confusion and sadness and questions…

[]

They stopped calling us flowers.

[]

And all of a sudden,

We were Monsters.

[]

Forever

a word filled with such naive hope and promise,

became nothing more than another betrayal.

another vow they never kept,

another word they turned their back on.

We could only watch as they began to turn their backs on us, too.

[]

For weeks on end, they disappeared.

Without the nourishment of their words to feed our starving stems

our petals turned crinkled shades of browns,

our leaves began to shrivel in starvation.

We were too weak to run away.

[]

When they finally returned

and laid their eyes upon our decaying bodies

their faces became twisted with disgust.

Hate rose from their palms

anger boiled in their bones

We knew they had come back to attack.

[]

As they began their assault,

we suffered silently.

we remembered

How their eyes were once silk

stroking our cheeks and cupping our faces

But no.

Their eyes were now knives tracing our every feature

criticizing our every freckle

making slashes on our cheeks too numerous to count.

Their words stabbed pain into our skin

until pain was all we were made of.

[]

Tears from our eyes spurted out like the blood from our hearts

and for the first time, we were crying.

We were crying for the things we never realized,

the things we should have known.

Because

they loved us while we were flowers

while we were young

while we played games

while we had no weaknesses

while our only emotion was happy.

However, the moment we shed our semblance of perfection,

the moment we became real,

we became monsters.

We were nothing else.

There was nothing left of us but the ugly.

The ugly emotions

the wrinkles

The bruised hearts

the need for unconditional love.

[]

They called us monsters.

[]

But how could they have called us monsters, 

when all we were finally becoming was human? 

Elijah wrote a review...

Hey there! Eli here to review your lovely work.

It really hit me like a blast, I expect the poem to be about how to become a real human and how to go through emotions and maybe through hard times in life. I did not expect such a meaning in your work but that does not change the fact that it thrilled me with a lots of feelings. And it was still in the 'human' category of works. I usually dislike longer poems as they just look like too long vertical snakes who go down my open window but this one really had a meaning to it so I do not mind it so much.

The work starts beautifully by opening our eyes and letting us be again a child who is so happy and only happy, they feel no fear for the world, not knowing how it can hurt their poor beings. It is the sweet nature of the youngful creature that is the kid and you show us that with positive atmosphere and only good memories, plays and many more! Games and fun!

But the most important thing in this work is the way you show us the other side of the coin as well, the one we flip to when we grow up and meet up with the cruel world that was so nice and sweet to us while we were younger. And how realistic this work is makes me happy and sad at the same time.

Young kids who just try to be themselves, grow up to be out of the box of expectations of their parents or whoever around them, and they get totally rejected. Being called 'ugly'. By society as well.

It is a very touching work that was also a great read.

Thanks so much for your review and your insight; I'm loving seeing what this poem means to different people. Have a great day!

Elijah says...

You too!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:11 am

Dear, iamanaspiringwriter,

I'm new to the yws community, and you are officially the first person I have made a review for, and frankly, I'm impressed.

I really enjoyed the fact that you metaphorically connected children to flowers, because they are very delicate, but they are very beautiful in the sense that they have no fear and no sadness, right?

I really enjoy how you wrote the poem, how in the beginning you set a very delightful "frolicking through a field" kind of picture through imagery. I actually could see a beautiful flower in my mind and it slowly began to shrivel throughout reading the poem.

I also enjoy the theme of the poem. It's something I have recently become interested in, about the image society sets for people about how we should be, and if we do not fill that image, we are not enough for the world, we are "monsters" as you said.

I honestly enjoyed this poem so much. It didn't rhyme, no, but I find free verse poems more creative and imaginative since you aren't limited to a small amount of words. I definitely rate this poem with five stars.

Please keep writing works like this, and I'll be sure to keep my eye out for your username!

Sincerely, BaileyMatwiiw.

Hey there, thanks for the review! I'd actually never thought about the meaning of the poem in the way that you did. Instead of children, I thought about young women. For me, the "no fear and sadness" was that in order to be liked by other people, a lot of girls pretend like their lives are perfect and everything is happy. This poem was loosely based on a lot of girls at my school who I know aren't as happy as they look. One day, you won't be able to keep up with all of the things people expect you to be. To me, that's what this poem meant. Sorry about the rambling, I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong AT ALL, but I thought I'd share what it meant to me. Thanks for your time :)

deleted1967 says...

Yeah, I kind of got that impression as well, considering it's flowers and perfection and ugliness, all which are mostly considered feminine..? or more associated with females.

I just looked back at it now and noticed the lines:
"Their eyes were now knives tracing our every feature
criticizing our every freckle
Their words stabbed pain into our skin
until pain was all we were made of."

I think that those lines are really important in that poem. I think that (even if you didn't mean to) it kind of connects to the fact that most girls (especially teenagers or preteens) are finding it hard to be accepted for how they look. Most of them turn to makeup and all that and try to make themselves look good enough and a lot unfortunately can turn to self harm. Which is something I feel you subtly addressed. It could just be me taking everything literally but in the lines "Their words stabbed pain into our skin // until pain was all we were made of." It seemed very relating to those unfortunate situations that girls tend to go towards when not feeling good enough. I could easily be mistaken, but the imagery of the knives was something I found very important in the poem.

Sorry, I just forgot to put that in my review.

Just one last thing!

"But how could they have called us monsters, // when all we were finally becoming was human?" That line is so mysterious. It makes people think after the poem, like really it's relating to society today, and I find it such an incredible line, because (now, I'm thinking and rambling, sorry XD) because it seems to relate to the situation I'm going to make up below:

So, say someone feels really down one day you know whatever. She feels like she isn't good enough for the world, like everyone hates her, that she's so fake. And she ends up cutting. Then say she goes to school and her fake friends all see what she did, and they start hating and ignoring her for it.

Because they think she's a monster. Because of the knives. Because she's not perfect anymore.

Sorry, I just found that so interesting. :D

Sorry about the self harm talk. I know that it can be a really touchy subject to some people and I kinda crossed a line without warning.

Again, I absolutely loved this poem. It's full of subtle hints and metaphors, and it's not extremely hidden either. It isn't like "there was a crow" which actually means there was death in the air because the crow is black and black represents death so the character is going to die. No no no, I really enjoyed that your poem was half hidden and half not. It was really enjoyable because people could follow along without needing to analyze every line.

Anywho, I'm rambling again. Sorry for the long message.

Have a great day/night!

Thanks for all of your extra insight into the poem! It's been so interesting seeing how other people read it and what it represents to them. Have a great day/night as well!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:59 am
gxldencrxwns wrote a review...

Hello, hello, gxldencrxwns here for a review.

This is one of the best poems I've ever read. The long length makes it more appealing and the theme behind it is heartbreaking. Great job on taking a topic such as this and handling it so well in this poem.

But I would suggest, since this is a poem, to make the words and sentences rhyme where they need to. There's nothing wrong with writing poems without rhyming but it is a poem, right? I guess that hypocritical of me to bash of people who don't rhyme in their poems when I don't either, huh. But do what you want on that part.

Overall, I enjoyed this. You handled the topic greatly, I didn't see no grammar and spelling mistakes, but I would probably say make sure your next poems rhymes (not saying you have to, though).

Keep writing, you sure do have talent!
~Gxldencrxwns

Thanks so much for your review it's much appreciated :). Since it was a free-verse poem I didn't have to rhyme it, so I didn't. Thanks for your compliments and suggestions and time!

gxldencrxwns says...

Oh, it's free verse? Wow that's embarrassing! But anyways it was an honor to review this and I'll keep my eye on you and your works!

lol you're fine. Thanks!

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom