The Mistake

by huggybear123

Prompt #4

Jessica was slouching in her chair, struggling to stay awake as her teacher rambled on about Nouns - or conjunctions? No wait, she remembers, it was quadratic functions. As her teacher kept blabbering on and on, Jessica's cell phone vibrated. She sighed and flipped it open. Her teacher was too engrossed in the lesson to notice her.

Unknown Caller: I have the money and hid the body

Jessica: Say What?!?

Unknown Caller: I have your money and I hid the body.

Jessica tried to stifle her laughter. What kind of stupid prank was this?

Unknown Caller: Jessica? Did you not here me?

Jessica: How could I here you? Were texting! LOL

Unknown Caller: When would you like me to give you the money? I g

Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:10 pm

Jessica: Say What?!?

Well...this is quite something here. I honestly find myself unsure whether I should be really concerned and worried for this person here especially given the fact that it seems we're dealing with a relatively young person to be still in school or if I should be bursting out laughing here at the absurdity of the situation. It really is a bit difficult to tell if this call is meant to be a prank like its clear this person seems to suspect or if this is in fact an actual call of this nature.

Now since I can't really figure it out either I'll try and treat it as a bit of both here because this only really works one way and that's of course the prank call. I think we've got the right setup for that sort of thing, especially with the kind of start we had and just upping the drama a tiny bit is all we really need here.

Now if this was actually meant to be taken seriously and if this was in fact not a prank call I feel like its not particularly realistic here. This doesn't quite seem like the type of thing an actual person from that walk of life would say here and it comes off more cartoonish than it should. I think you'll have to do a bit of reconsidering if that's the path you were planning to take here.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk