z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Trials

by hmcg


The Trials

Smiling at my reflection as I put on my Chángpáo, a traditional chinese robe. Today is the day that I leave home to go to my scholar official test. It is a family tradition for the men in our family to become a scholar official. My father is close to Emperor so I have no worries about not getting in. I had taken my local test two days before and had passed without a hitch, after all I have been studying my whole life unlike those filthy peasants who for some reason the Emperor thinks are qualified for such a high position in our government. Not that any of them actually had a chance of passing. I yell at my thick-headed servant, Fai, to grab my bags and put them on the horses, for we have a long journey ahead of us.

“What’s your name I say to to the girl in front of me. "

Meili." She says not looking at all intimidated by me.

"Well Meili, I suggest that you move out of my way before you are trampled to death. We are on a tight schedule and I need to get to the scholar-official test.”

“Well then I shall get out of your way.” She said. “I hope to see you again, Hu Mu.”

****************************************************************

Looking around I thought Now this is a city. Compared to my hometown the capital city was huge, compared to any town really.

“Are you here for the scholar-official test?” A man wearing an important looking robe says.

“Yes I am. If you would point me in the right direction I would be very thankful.”

“Very well it is in that direction.”

“Thank you good sir. You shall be rewarded for your help.” That having been said I signaled to the rest of my group and we started to move.

Setting down my bags in the room i fell onto the huge bed that was supplied for the candidates.Tomorrow I would begin the two-day test in a cell block with no windows and very little lighting. They must do this so that the filthy peasants who don’t have schooling can’t cheat. I honestly don’t know why they make the aristocrats take the test this way. Honestly, we are rich we don’t need to pay someone to help us cheat. The men in the Hu family have been studying for this our whole life, we are literally put in rooms like this at age 10 to prepare ourselves for this task. What’s this feeling in my stomach? It’s so strange, it’s almost like one thousand butterflies are living inside of me. Strange. Shaking that strange feeling off, Ii roll over and close my eyes. As soon as I close them, the girls face appears in front of me again. Now what was her name. Then I remembered, Meili. What does that name mean? I racked my memory, trying to out what the name meant. Beautiful. It came to me like lightning. Her name means beautiful. Like her. No, I can’t think like this. For one, she is a peasant and I’m a member of one of the richest families in all of China. Second, I am about to become a scholar-official and cannot have distractions. Rolling over again I open and close my eyes. This time sleep does come.

****************************************************************

Yawning, I sit up in bed. “Ai-ya! I’m late!” I get dressed in record time and race downstairs. The other men have already assembled and look towards me as I enter. I look around to see the competition. I see a man who clearly does not want to be here, a man looking around nervously as if he was scared of being revealed as a spy or something, a man who looks as if he just rolled out of bed, and many other men who don’t stand a chance against me. Smirking, I make my way over to the man wearing the robes of a scholar-official.

“Hello sir. I am Hu Mu. My father is Hu Shu.” I tell him giving his hand a firm shake and looking him right in the eye.

“Ah yes. The Hu family scholar-official. I hope that you live up to your father’s expectations. I am Wu Shan.” He says returning my handshake and also looking me right in the eyes.

“Both you and him shall not be disappointed. I promised him that I would uphold the family honor. I have been training all of my life for this day.” I tell him.

“Good. Now don’t let your head get to you.” He says and walks away, shaking peoples hands on the way. Puzzled I stare after him. Don’t let my head get to me? What does he mean by that? Shaking my head I look around. Everyone seems to be in a conversation. Not seeing anybody wanting to talk to me I sit down on a bench and observe. From a young age I have been taught not to look but see. Meaning that I notice things, like how people are feeling just with one glance their way. The majority of the room is excited. Well excited and scared. I’m not. I just know that it will be a breeze. I put my hands behind my head and leaned back. There is no doubt who will become a scholar-official.

********************************************************

My father’s training had come in handy. Those two days in there were horrible. I could see no light and heard no human voices. Luckily with my training I had become accustomed to that. Blinking in the light I turn around and see other men doing the same. I had tried to sleep but when I did I dreamed of the girl. When I was awake I had began to see her outline and her voice.

“I knew that I would see you again Mu.” A familiar voice said. This can’t be real. I’m still hearing things. I turn around. “Yes?” I say looking into the face of Meili. At least I thought it was Meili. This version of Meili was dressed like royalty. “Meili! What are you wearing? You could get killed for impersonating the emperor's daughter!” I was mad at her. “It’s nice knowing that you care about me dying but there’s no need. For I am the emperor's daughter.” She said smiling up at me. I felt a wave of relief wash over me. “Wait then why were you dressed up like a peasant?” I ask her suddenly confused.

“My father sends me out to see what the men are like before the tests. Also to see if there are eligible men for the contest.” She said and winked at me. “See you soon Mu.” She said clapping her hands. A dozen or so soldiers stepped out of the throng of men and followed her out. Wow. She really is the emperor’s daughter.

***********************************************************

It was now the day after the trials and the men who took the tests were gathered outside in the garden waiting for Wu Shan to announce the men who are to be scholar-officials. I saw Wu Shan walking up and I rose respectfully the other men followed my lead.

“Good morning, I hope that you slept well. The following men are scholar-officials.” Wu Shan said. “The person who got all of the questions right gets a dinner with Meili, the Emperor’s daughter. Hu Mu, you got them all right. Please follow Li Hua to your room to get ready.

“Yes Sir.” I answer barely able to contain my excitement. Following a man out of the garden and into the palace. “Wait, my room is in the city” I tell the man confused. “Unless the man who got perfect scores would like to room with peasants. Follow me.” He says looking disdainfully back at the garden. “Oh no sir this is perfect.” I tell him. Finally. Someone who understands that aristocrats should room with those sad excuses of subjects. Sniffing i decide that this man and I will get on great. Not as friends but as allies.

Following the man into a room I look around. Now this is more like it. “The other men who are to be scholar-officials will also be in this hall. The dinner is at 6:00 sharp. You should be down there at 5:45 to enter the room with the Meili. Is that understood?” “Yes sir.” Good. Your clothes are in that chest over there.” This is your room for when you are here.” He says and walks out.

It’s 2:00 so i have roughly three hours to prepare. I start to fill up the tub with the warm water that has already been set out for me. Looking at the huge display of salts, oils and soaps, i decide on very simple ones. Pouring them into the bath i grab a few pieces of cloth and set them by the tub so that when I get out I can dry myself. I get in and immediately relax.

I got out of the bath about an hour later and dried myself with the cloth. I decided to send a message home to my family saying that I had gotten all of the

questions right and that I was now a scholar-official. I walked over to the chest and picked out the most elaborate outfit that I could find and walked downstairs. I could get used to this.

The End


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 277
Reviews: 11

Donate
Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:25 am
tennishead wrote a review...



I'm going to launch straight into this,

1: Okay, so your grammar needs a bit of work. During the piece, there are many cases where you have lower capital I's, so just keep that in mind. This is just something I like to do, but put your dialogue onto a separate line, otherwise it just gets lost in the piece. Also, you have one word sentences where put a full stop instead of a comma.

This is one of the examples I picked out,
"It’s so strange, it’s almost like one thousand butterflies are living inside of me. Strange."

I'm just being picky here, but if you want to go to the next level with your writing, you need work on your grammar.


2: I found the plot interesting, but I didn't get to know the main character particularly well either. I gathered that he was from a rich family and his father was close to the emperor, but in what way? Why is it a tradition for the men to become a scholar official? What does a scholar official even do? You just need to establish the characters and the plot so that the reader can understand what is happening.

3: The final thing I want to say is, slow down! The story moved so quickly, I couldn't keep up. Like I said before, you need to establish the basics before you can elaborate on the piece. If you don't do this, the reader becomes confused about the whole story (like I did).

I hope this helps and keep writing!

Tennishead




hmcg says...


thank so much! It was a short story and I only had a day to write it so thanks! Looking back I can totally see what you mean.



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:22 am
Mea wrote a review...



Okay, so this story mostly needs work in the grammar department.

1. You need to start a new paragraph every time someone starts talking. Every single time. It will seem like you have a lot of short paragraphs at first, and the reason for that is that you don't have much description. Most of this story is actions and dialogue. So add more description. Set the scene for us. Right now, all I know is that we're somewhere in China. I need more detail. Show us what the world is like around the main character. Paint a picture for us.

2. Slow down. You rush through this story. Give us time to get to know the characters and develop them more. We won't care at all about the story if we don't care about the characters, and right now the guy comes across as an average Joe who is kind of a prick in his attitude towards the other peasants. You need to make him likable or at least memorable, or else it won't hold the audience's interest.

3. You have a lot of grammar errors throughout the piece. In your second line, your quotation marks are in the wrong place. Also, you have several lowercase 'i's throughout, so watch for those. Just read through it a few times, looking for typos and the like.

4.

My father’s training had come in handy. Those two days in there were horrible. I could see no light and heard no human voices. Luckily with my training I had become accustomed to that. Blinking in the light I turn around and see other men doing the same. I had tried to sleep but when I did I dreamed of the girl. When I was awake I had began to see her outline and her voice.

You need to tell us exactly what happened in these trials, because this paragraph is extremely confusing. You basically skip over what should be the most emotionally intense part of the story. You should describe it in great detail. Make us feel what he feels.

I hope this helps. Good luck and keep writing!




hmcg says...


Looking back on this after being on here for a few months I see what you mean! Thanks!



Mea says...


Good, I'm glad it was helpful. :)




If you run now, you will be running the rest of your life.
— Reborn