12+

The Wide Street

by hermione315

Dark lights luminesce the wide street,

Full of dancers, and mystery, and what all our nature craves.

So easy to follow, to get lost in the swelling crowd,

On this path that leads to eternal, fiery graves.

Its fleeting wonders attract many.

They become bugs flitting around a flickering post,

Drawn into flashing neon signs, reflecting in their eyes so bright, so right.

After swallowing so much darkness,

How could they ever know true light?

So they drink and they laugh, they marry and toil,

Until the day comes that their deeds turn to spoil,

Trash drifting along the sidewalk of that wide, lovely street,

Kicked by the passing through of sinners’ lost and dirty feet.

Monsters wrote a review...

what all our nature craves.

This is a very ambiguous statement, and I think that you wanted something more straight forward. This could be interpreted as everything nature craves including mystery, dancers ect. or what we all naturally crave; either way it doesn't seem to be the point you are trying to make - it seems like a side street that leads to a dead end with no houses or anything on it; pointless. You might ask yourself; why is it here? Now you might come back to this point later on, or further clarify in the rest of the poem but if so - it is meaningless to have. See your sentence should probably say one thing, not two things because one thing in the sentence could be tacked on, if you want to do imagery then do it, if your adding intuition then do it better - not tack it on.

eternal, fiery graves.

A perfect time you actually needed imagery and you relied on telling instead of showing; also you don't tell us that the path ends in a grave instead you say 'on this path that' which is the long version of being straight forward. Also, it's almost like you are giving us tips about the cliche symbol that has been permeated since the beginning of time (kind of the really bad version of the road not taken). This is not your intuition speaking, this is that paperclip in a word document that is meant to clarify and make things stupid-simple.

then it turns into a full on nursery rhyme.

and kind of gets random, with disconnected images everywhere.

See here is my suggestion to you, start here;

Finish your poem questioning every word and phrase, asking yourself how to make it clear and concise, use your imagery and how you describe things in a unique way and all of this;

Dark lights luminesce the wide street,
Its fleeting wonders attract many.

will come naturally, it'll be there if the reader reads between the lines. Of-course, let reader take another understanding if they see it, that is poetry after all.

This poem is not bad; I see your voice comes through in a flicker around the middle, but it is lost in sloppy intuition and awkward phrases through-it's lost in too many words that don't do anything for you and cliche symbols that haven't enough detail to make them yours again - ect. Need more time learning, perfecting, reflecting before it's any good.

Thanks for posting in my review for food thread.

hermione315 says...

This review was extremely helpful. Thank you!

hermione315 says...

RagingLive wrote a review...

One word: Awesome.

I loved it from the very beginning, as it had something that pulled me in. Needless to say, I am a very picky reviewer; if it doesn't catch my eye in the first few sentences, it's on to the next thing. But this captured my attention and held it 'til the very end.

1) The first thing I noticed was the air of intrigue that seemed to permeate the atmosphere, as if trying to pull me in along with the other along the Wide Street. But I did get a little off of the beaten path (ew, I just noticed that sounded like a really bad pun, lol) when you got to the third and fourth lines:
"So easy to follow, get lost in the swelling crowd,/On this path that leads to eternal, fiery graves."
Here I felt that it should read "So easy to follow, to get lost in the swelling crowd" or maybe I'm just missing something. Also, I had trouble following it through to the next line. Maybe it should read something like:
"While on this path that leads to eternal, fiery graves"

2) "Its fleeting wonders attract many./They become bugs flitting around a flickering post,"
This wonderful analogy is only one of many that attracts me. (Okay, I'll be honest with you, it's late here and I'm high on caffeine and sugar) I still kind of feel like it would read better if you replaced the period with a comma and said:
"As they become like bugs, flitting around a flickering post"
Overall it is still executed very well and still very understandable.

3) GOTCHA!!! THERE IS NO THREE!!! Here I normally put in one of my favorite lines, but I truly loved so much of it that I can't decide. Maybe the last half is my very most favoritist.

*Hits 'Like' button*
*Hit's 'Follow' button*
*Realizes that you just joined in March*

(wait for it ...)

*BUSTS OUT PARTY POPPERS*
WELCOME TO YWS!!!

Very Sincerely,
~RagingLive

hermione315 says...

Thanks so much for your very kind review! *Hits 'Follow Back' button* :)

Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:37 pm
Ashkitten83 wrote a review...

Hello I'm Ashkitten and I will be conducting a review for you on this piece today. I will start off by telling you what I think needs improving, and then I will tell you what I liked about it. I know most people do it the other way around but I like people to feel uplifted after reading my reviews.

So to start, there seem to be commas where periods should be. The second line needs a period after craves, otherwise it's a really long run on sentence and it has away too many commas in it for it to flow as well as it should. then the new sentence starts with so easy to follow, get lost in the swelling crowd ( it doesn't need a comma there ) think of it like its all in one line. I know you want a pause there but that is achieved by ending the line and starting the next one. A period should be after the line

It's fleeting wonders attract many

Altho it is a short sentence, it's a full sentence, and it would make more sense as its own sentence.

Now the one line that doesn't flow as well as the others is the line

Drawn in to flashing neon signs, in their eyes, so bright. So right.

Into should be one word. If you take out the first comma, it kind of makes more sense to me. Like I can imagine the signs reflecting in their eyes and they are mesmerized. Now to keep the comma there you could add the word reflecting to add to that effect. And then a comma after bright because , so right doesn't make sense as full sentence. So if it read

It flows better to me and reads into a better interpretation.

In the lines

So they drink, and they laugh, they marry and toil
Until the day comes, that their deeds turn to spoil,

I think the comma after comes shouldn't be there, and there should be a period after spoil.

The next line

Trash drifting along the sidewalk of that wide, lovely street.
Kicked by the passing through of sinners' lost and dirty feet.

I think the period after street should be a comma. And then a comma after through because I feel like there needs to be a pause there for dramatic effect.

Now onto what I liked...I feel like this title is pretty amazing. I think I'm right in my assumption that it is referring to the wide gate or path that the bible speaks of. If that is so, it's truly brilliant. I love the imagery! And the comparison of sin and sinners being like bugs flying around a flickering light.

I LOVE THE ALLITERATION!! I actually am a sucker for good alliteration and the words, flickering, flitting, fleeting, flashing...it just made my tongue excited to read this out loud. Not many poets add that wonderful element of poetry to their poems and I feel like it just adds so much more to it. As poets we are a weaver of words, and we have to choose the right words to draw out emotion and I think you have a great talent in that. This is not something anyone can just do, it's a talent. There are billions of words out there and it's up to us to pluck the right ones out of our hearts to harvest and create a perfect feast for our readers to dive into, and you accomplished that beautifully. This poem makes me see how Sodom and Gomorrah in the bible was without actually being there. The dancers, the mystery, the intrigue, like moths to a flame. I love how it describes how the pleasure only lasts for a brief period and then it all goes bad, because their actions have consequences. It really is a great piece. I encourage you to keep writing and I look forward to reading more of your work.

hermione315 says...

This poem was referring to the wide path spoken of in the Bible. Thank you for the help on how to get my punctuation correct.

hermione315 says...

Ashkitten83 says...

I knew it, brilliant and wonderful, please keep writing!!!

Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:06 pm
Marshymallow wrote a review...

First of all wow! The vocabulary in this was absolutely amazing! I really enjoyed reading this poem as you kept me flying through the lines enjoying all of the imagery :D I really enjoyed the line: 'They become bugs flyting around a flickering post as the alliteration just rolls of the tongue in a most gracious manner.

Like Reet, I found the title most peculiar as I had never come across one quite like that! This poem also supports the idea of not judging a story by its title since you build such a unique story that lies unpredictable for the reader. I also really like how you alter the rhyming scheme at the end as the rhythm brings the lines out and sets a memorable impact on the reader. It kind of reminds me of a Shakespearian sonnet since at the end the rhyming scheme goes from abab to aa making it the more powerful ending.

A very compelling read -Marshymallow

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:26 am
Reet3103 wrote a review...

Heyyy :D

Okay so, this was really well framed. Honestly, if you have to determine a good poet, you should be able to get images of what the poet was trying to convey. And I did, good job.

Your play with sentences was amazing. AND I loved your title. It raised some curiosity in me. I like titles that do not give away the content and this didn't because it was vague, and that's good. Really, this was another version of what people usually dream and think of.

The rhyme scheme changed at various points but wasn't noticeable because it added to the beauty of your work.

"Dark lights luminesce the wide street,

Full of dancers, and mystery, and what all our nature craves,

So easy to follow, get lost in the swelling crowd"

FAVOURITE LINES. I loved these. The beginning was awesome, I was drawn in by it seriously, it compelled me to read on. And your ending was amazing too. This was short but awesome really.

Keep writing and smiling. xoxo

I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice