z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Another Unfair Fight

by herbgirl


I stare at the playground, and can’t understand why I feel so pulled to it. Today, it is empty, its plastic slides bare, and I know if I slid down it its surface it would chill the exposed backs of my legs. A breeze quietly sways the old metal swings back and forth, and the gray sky overhead threatens rain, or maybe even snow. I look at the sky, and think of my childhood. I remember the playground.

I sit beneath the Big Toy, the only place where it is shady and quiet, fiddling with the mulch that covers the cement. I’m building a castle, just like the one I’ll live in someday. The sun filters down through the floor of Big Toy, making shadows on the ground that remind me of the ones cast by leaves in the forest behind my house. Distracted, I trace my hand over the bumps and around the shadows. The sound of the other children echoes in my ears, but means nothing to me. I am in my own world now.

Suddenly, a foot smashes through my castle, breaking me from my reverie. I look up, blinking as the sun that is still filtering through the Big Toy gets in my eyes, harsher than I remember.

“Hey queer,” says Rob with a sneer. He was back again. I look into his eyes for another moment, trying to discern what he wants, but seeing nothing with the sun cutting into my eyes. Quietly, I look back down at the ground, and start to fiddle with the pieces of my ruined castle. I’m doing what Mommy says. Ignore them and they’ll go away. Ignore them ignore them ignore them ignore them and they’ll go away ignore them ignore ignore ignore ig-

Again, the mulch castle I had been trying to repair is crushed, and I look up expectantly.

“Hey, we were talking to you,” says Tyler from his place next to Rob. “It’s rude not to look at people when they talk to you. Didn’t your mommies teach you that?” Maybe I should do what Meema says. She told me next time they bother me to punch one of them right in the gut. Or both of them, that would be better, she had said. Margaret! Mommy had yelled at her, with a little laugh that made me laugh. Is that how you want our son to behave? Mommy pulled me in tight for a hug, as if to protect me from Meema, which made us all laugh even harder. Then Meema came in too, to hug us both, and we were all just a giggling mess of happiness, and I could smell the curry from dinner on Meema and the perfume from work on Mommy, and it smelled like home.

“Didn’t you hear him? We’re TALKING to you!” Rob says, this time nudging me in the shin with his foot. I back up, and feel the hot metal of one of the Big Toy bars against my back, it’s hardness comforting. “Why are you so rude? Maybe we should teach her how to be nice,” Rob continues.

“I’m not a girl,” I respond, almost automatically. As soon as I say it, I’m sorry I spoke.

“What was that? You think you’re not a girl?” Tyler says, laughing. “If you’re not a girl, then why are you under here making castles?” Tyler kicks the mulch mound that I had been playing with so happily before they had interrupted.

“Yeah,” Rob says with a snigger, and his eyes light up with an idea. He glances over to Tyler for a second and then turns back to me, saying, “If you’re not a girl come prove it to us.”

“What?” I say, confused.

Tyler’s eyes light up now too. “Yeah, come show us what you’ve got, Paulina.” Tyler puts his fists up and starts jumping backwards and forwards. My stomach feels as if something has come alive inside it. They want to fight me. No. They know I can’t fight. They want to hurt me.

“No,” I say, and start to stand up. “I’ll tell-”

Tyler steps forward, blocking me, and pushes me back into the pole. It doesn’t hurt, but now it seems more dangerous than before. Like a weapon. “You’re not telling anyone,” he says, sneering again. “Boys don’t tell. They fight. Girls tell. Girls need help. Do you need help, Paulina?” Tyler is stepping towards me, and I’m pressed against the bar again now, nowhere to go. Rob stands beside Tyler, looking at him and I with as if he were watching his favorite episode of SpongeBob.

“I-I-I’m not…” I try to talk, but I can’t. My mouth isn’t working. How am I supposed to use my words if my mouth’s not working?

“Aw, look, she can’t even talk!” Rob says.

I look up at him again, and then back to Tyler. They smile, but not in a nice way. Not in the way smiles are supposed to be. “My name is Paul,” I whisper, and shut my eyes.

Then he punches me, right in the face, like I’d been afraid of since they had walked in. I feel each of his knuckles as he hits me in the mouth, and I think wow, I’ve never had a knuckle sandwich before, I’m not a fan, but it’s not funny, because it hurts. Then his fist is gone, and my mouth stings and aches at the same time, and with every beat of my heart it aches again, and it feels like when his fist left my mouth it took something with it. I stand with my eyes closed and wait for another punch, for more pain. I count to sixty, one-mississippi-two-mississippi-three, just the way they tell us to when we’re waiting our turn for the tire swing. But then I’m done counting, and there is no new pain, and I breathe for a minute, and then I open my eyes. I don’t look up, because I know that Tyler and Rob will be gone by now, laughing on the other side of the playground. I open my eyes and look down, and I see what I knew I’d see. Two little white dots amid the tan of the mulch. I crouch down, hugging my knees. The bell rings, and I know recess is over, but I don’t move. I let tears roll down my cheeks and soak the knees of my jeans, and I sob, so loudly I can almost drown out the pain, so loudly I can’t hear the shouts of the teachers telling me to come in. I cry, and I cry, and then a hand is on my shoulder, and an arm is around me, and I am taken inside.



I stare at the playground, and for a moment, I hate it, I hate it with every fiber of my being, I hate this town and all the people who ever lived in it, I hate the memory of the copper taste of blood, of teeth covered in dirt, of the raw feeling of the holes where they should have been. But then I look again at the playground. It is empty, and suddenly so am I, all the pain flooding out of me. I am not that anymore. I am not a sobbing little girl-boy, or a dreaming little kid. I am just me, and I am free. I don't have to be the toy of bullies anymore. I can stand up for myself. And I do. I turn away from the playground, and without looking back, I walk down the street.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 1912
Reviews: 30

Donate
Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:06 am
View Likes
ardentlyThieving wrote a review...



Okay, so this is one piece that really impressed me a lot. It's a rather short, simple piece, but in this case that really works. Not everything has to be dramatic or on a large scale, and honestly I feel like you've got a talent for pieces like this.

So with your first paragraph you've chosen to use a flashback as a framing device. I think this has been done quite a bit in other works, but not to the point where it's overdone or cliched. And even if it is a little overdone in this case it works, far better than just going into the story would. It gives a bit of understanding of what's to come next, and the mood the story has without giving too much away and it drew my attention. Not really a very complicated start, but it's a good solid one.

With your next paragraph we get into the story proper. You've done a pretty good job of giving us a sense of place, and of the type of person your main character is. From this I get the sense that they're quiet, lonely and a bit of a daydreamer. The first person perspective is nice, and really gives the sense from how they're thinking that they are quite young: good use of showing and not telling.

Moving on; your next paragraphs show us who the antagonists are, give us a sense of how your protagonist feels about them and continue to paint a picture of who your protagonist is as a person. I don't really have much to say here.

One thing I found quite effective is that you give a few implied reasons why Rob and Tyler attack Paul, but never directly say which of the reasons is the actual one, or if it's a combination of all the ways he's different. It gives the reader something to think about, and provides more of an opportunity for them to relate and empathize with Paul.

Another thing I liked is how you show two types of conflict: externally with Rob and Tyler attacking Paul, and also internally with Paul unsure of how to cope, what to think, what he did wrong. The first person perspective works well with this. You've also used a lot of simple, but evocative language, which is effective in a piece like this.

A third thing that was particularly good about this piece was that it reached a number of different emotions. There's quite an effective contrast between the upset and fear that Paul has at being bullied, but also showing that he has the support of his mothers and quite a nice home life, with the rather sweet moment where his mothers are comforting him. Also you ended on a optimistic note, with Paul being able to let go and move on. I agree with Carlito that it feels a little rushed and the last paragraph should maybe have a little more to it, but I have a soft spot for hopeful, optimistic endings so I like the last few sentences a lot. My advice would be to not change anything that is already in your last paragraph, but to add a little more in.

In closing this is a very simple, but effective piece which deserves its spot in the literary spotlight. Well done, and keep writing :D

- Ardently




herbgirl says...


Thank you for the review! I just wanted to add that another reason that I chose to write the bulk of the story as a flashback was so that the readers could see at the end that people survive, people move on, not everyone who is attacked is destroyed. I think ending with a high note with the return to the present did that.





Well in my opinion it works :D



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:52 am
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello hello! :D Happy tail end of RevMo!

I thought this was a really powerful story. I really liked how you were able to show the effects of bullying and harassment that last throughout someone's life and I thought the way you showed that in this story was very clever. I also really liked that this story was concise. You had a clear point and a clear message and you got that across without a lot of frivolous detail or added scenes. Even though I'm sure this was not the only incident of abuse this MC suffered, I think this one event was powerful enough to show what life looks like for this person. I also really liked the simplicity of the event. This person was simply building a sand castle. To me that's so simple, and yet to the perpetrators that was offensive or a danger to their perceived maleness and felt the need to attack.

It's hard for me to come up with good criticism for this piece because I think you're doing a lot of things really well. Maybe add some more of the MC's feelings? You do a really nice job of setting the scene and showing the scene but I think I would appreciate more of the MCs thoughts and feelings. I'm a thoughts and feelings person. I live to know everything that is going on inside someones head and their whole range of emotions.

For example, in the first paragraph when the MC approaches this playground. I like the simplicity of "I look at the sky, and think of my childhood. I remember the playground." but I also think before that point you could show what's going through his mind as he approaches his playground. What's he feeling? You allude to this but I think you could make it more obvious.

Then at the end, you show his feelings more which was great, but I thought the resolution of his feelings happened rather quickly. We started the paragraph with a rather intense feeling of anger and hatred and ended the paragraph with acceptance. How did we get there? I want to know exactly how he is processing this and what is going through his mind to get him to that place. That was a pretty traumatic and horrible thing that happened to him and it all came flooding back. I understand the anger and I understand finding acceptance now that he's older, but I want to know how he went from one to the other in this moment.

Overall though, I thought the writing was strong and the story as a whole was really interesting! Please let me know if you have any questions or if you would like feedback about something I didn't mention, and keep on writing! :D





We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria