z

Young Writers Society



blackout poem

by herbalhour


made from a sample of "To Build a Fire" by Jack London


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
542 Reviews


Points: 41664
Reviews: 542

Donate
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:45 am
Liminality says...



Hey herb! This was an interesting piece, so I thought I'd leave a comment :D

the man was used to the sun . . .

he was used to winter. The trouble was that he was without imagination


I actually interpreted these lines as conveying how the man didn't see beyond whatever his present circumstances were. If the sun was out, he thought he was used to the sun. If the sun was gone or if it was cold, he thought that's what he was used to - and so being "without imagination".

This, followed up with the line "it did not lead him to immortality" creates a sort of melancholy mood for me, with the implied tragedy of the man's existence, swayed by circumstance.

the possibilities of getting in a bit after dark was true, but the fire would be ready


I feel like "fire" is a bad thing in this context - since the man has the 'possibility' (hope, potential?) of coming home at a semi-reasonable hour, and then the poem contrasts the presence of the fire with this positive thing. That's interesting, since normally in winter fire would sound like a good thing, but maybe this fire also burns?

"lying against each cut" makes for a striking ending, I think.

It's also impressive how well the lines flow, given that you're creating them by cutting out words from the original extract.

Keep writing!
-Lim




User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 10130
Reviews: 105

Donate
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:04 pm
View Likes
alpacaboss wrote a review...



Now this is one of a kind! I haven't seen a blackout poem in this site, until now. Let me see if I get the message right.


day had broken the man and climbed the high earth bank. There was no sun nor a cloud in the sky. there seemed an intangible face that made the day dark. the man was used to the sun. he knew that he had come hidden under three feet of ice as far as his eye could see, it was unbroken white, that curved and twisted a thousand miles and half a thousand more. he was used to he winter. The trouble was that he was without imagination. but only in the things, and not in their significances. it did not lead him to immortality and man's place in the universe. a bit of frost that hurt and that entered his head. a sharp explosive crackle that could fall to the snow. the possibilities of getting a bit after dark was true, but the fire would be ready. he pressed his hand agains the jacket, lying against each cut.


I have to applaud you for going through such feat and still making sense out of it. The story shows a man trying to survive a deadly winter. Although some parts didn't seem to connect, I'd simply like to interpret that as the "frost entering his head part", where I believe the cold was slowly driving him insane.

One comment though is that you said "the man was used to the sun." but you also said "he was used to he winter." which is a bit contradicting. but I'll let it slide.

Overall, this is a great work! Good job in piecing such vivid imagery together from bits of words around a page.

This is alpacaboss, signing off.




herbalhour says...


i mean is there not sun in winter



alpacaboss says...


Yup but people tend to associate sun with brightness and warmth unlike winter which is bitter and cold (stereotypes ofc). That%u2019s why I said I%u2019ll let it slide since it%u2019s an understandable %u201Cinconsistency%u201D heh :>



User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 40897
Reviews: 231

Donate
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:27 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello, my friend!

This is a fascinating format for a poem, and I like your choice of source material. I can tell it certainly gave you a lot of good lines to work with. Honestly, I'm surprised by the transformation; you really turned this excerpt from the original story, once the introduction to a hopeful adventure, into a gloomy-feeling poem about a man's struggle against the cold and oncoming winter. It makes me wonder what kind of pieces could be lurking in other works, haha.

Nicely done! :)





I want to understand you, I study your obscure language.
— Alexander Pushkin