Fate Undone- Prolouge

by herbalhour

Chapter 0/Prologue: "...the canvas made by the artist..."

"Accept all the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart."

-Marcus Aurelius

Some say that Fate is an amazing thing. It brings people together, it keeps you safe. Fate is a force that you cannot stop. Fate is the reason we find love, pain, and happiness. This... is not true. Fate is the worst person to ever exist. He's ruthless, cynical and most importantly, he cursed my town.

Making prophecies through poems, possesing people, murdering thousands. I always took Fate for granted. Now I'm running away from him, the sky painted a twisted red, the world ceasing to be as I knew it. Someday, I might actually reach him. This is a dream I have had since I was 10. Since I was 10, strange things have also been happening in my town. People going missing, weird stenches, words engraved in stones you didn't see before.

Yet the day renews itself. The corpses were never there they said. I was just delusional. Each thing i expirenced was just a dream. I don't believe them. I saw him. Fate himself, talking to me in my dreams. Like a prophecy that i have to bear. They didn't know, until that day. Where everything I saw happened.

Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:33 pm
berrie wrote a review...

This is a really cool idea for a prologue. It feels purposefully vague, but you can still get a good idea of what the narrator's saying without getting lost or misunderstanding. It's short, but makes readers want more! Everything that a prologue should be.

"Making prophecies through poems, possesing people, murdering thousands. I always took Fate for granted. Now I'm running away from him, the sky painted a twisted red, the world ceasing to be as I knew it. Someday, I might actually reach him. This is a dream I have had since I was 10. Since I was 10, strange things have also been happening in my town. People going missing, weird stenches, words engraved in stones you didn't see before."

I love the use of personification here, and really in every paragraph. It really drives the point to the reader that something's wrong, and the narrator is fully aware of it. By making "fate" a character, it reinforces the idea that it's something that humans can't control/a force that has the potential to do harm. Since the topic of "is fate a real thing" is pretty common, making "fate" out to be a real character is a really fun concept.

There are just a few minor spelling mistakes (not a criticism of the writing itself, just something that may be worth looking into), like the word "possesing" (paragraph 2), which you may want to fix to "possessing", and expirenced" which should be "experienced" (paragraph 3). I know it's just I minor nitpick, but it definitely helps to double check!

"Yet the day renews itself. The corpses were never there they said. I was just delusional. Each thing i expirenced was just a dream. I don't believe them. I saw him. Fate himself, talking to me in my dreams. Like a prophecy that i have to bear. They didn't know, until that day. Where everything I saw happened."

This paragraph was a cool and suspenseful way to end off your prologue. The shorter sentence structures help build suspense and help get across the narrator's frustration, especially compared to the other two paragraphs, where the sentences are more descriptive in nature and help build up to what I'm assuming will be a transition to present day in the next chapter.

These are just a few of the things that I noticed - just suggestions - feel free to give them a look:
- "The corpses were never there they said", could probably be changed to "'The corpses were never there', they said". It might help break up the sentence a bit and get the reader to fully understand what the narrator's saying without having to read over the sentence again.
- "I was just delusional. Each thing I experienced was just a dream." Instead of a period between the two sentences, you may want to use a semicolon; it would keep that same quick-hitting feel from the rest of the short sentences around it, and combining those two would make the paragraph more cohesive, as if the narrator was purposefully grouping their statements together in order to make a point.
- "They didn't know, until that day. Where everything I saw happened." Instead of using "Where" in that second sentence, you could probably use "When", since the narrator seems to be describing a time, and not a place. I might be wrong, and if I am, disregard this particular piece of critique. But, since the sentence before it says "until that day", I get the impression that a time is being described.

Other than those things, I looove where you're going with this. It gives the impression of a psychological horror, which I'm a sucker for, and the rich personification makes the writing as a whole super fun. I'm really excited to see where you go with this narrative! Best of luck!!

edit: I read some of the other reviews and responses after posting and noticed you acknowledging the spelling grammar errors, so definitely just disregard those critiques since I don't want to keep hammering into those mistakes. I love your style, keep writing!! :)

LuminescentAnt wrote a review...

Hey tea! I'm going to leave a review here for this prologue. This is probably going to be a very picky review since the chapter is so short.

On the shortness of the chapter though - I think that it's fine if it's short, since this is just a prologue, meant to give some background to the story and set up for the first chapter. Also, it's funny how you called it "Chapter 0".

I'm going to be reviewing paragraph by paragraph, so let's start with the first one:

I love how you started the story this way. You began by explaining how amazing people thought Fate was, and why. You gave lots of different reasons until we really believed that the narrator agreed with those statements, and then you wrote that the main character disagreed. That was very clever, driving the story in one direction and then taking a sharp turn. Then you described that Fate was actually horrible, and you gave reasons as to why. In this way, I think this was a really good paragraph to start out the story!

On to the second paragraph:

Here is the part where I'm being really picky: I think you could use better words in this paragraph. What I mean is, instead of saying, "making prophecies" maybe you could have the word "writing prophecies." Or instead of "weird stenches" you could say "foul stenches." Don't get me wrong, there are some word choices that I think you chose well, but I think having more descriptive words might improve storytelling in this paragraph and also add more figurative language.
I really liked this sentence, "the sky painted a twisted red" because I really like your word choice and it has lots of imagery. And also how you used the word "twisted" shows that the world became evil because of Fate, and it's the perfect word in this instance.

Finally, the third paragraph!

Classic story plot point, where a character is told that they are crazy, but of course they are not. I wonder why everyone thought he was delusional. And Fate was talking to him in his dreams? It's giving Harry Potter This paragraph really shows how mysterious Fate is, which is an important thing to know about him. And then you ended at a cliffhanger too? The end sounded suspenseful, which is really good because it makes readers want to read more. That's great!
By the way, I'm not sure if this was intended or not, but two "i"s that are supposed to be capital are lowercase. And also "expirenced" should be "experienced". But I know mint said that already, so you might know that already.

Overall, I think this was a great prologue to start your book, and I can't wait to read more of it! Keep writing!

herbalhour says...

i cannot spell~

Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:40 am
Spearmint wrote a review...

Hey tea! It's mint, here with a review. :3 I'm super excited to read this novel! I'm wondering what the phrases in the chapter names mean, but I suppose we'll get more hints as the story continues. >.>

So, I mentioned this before, but I love how you subvert the reader's expectations of Fate. You make Fate a character (a rather cruel-seeming one) that the narrator seems to know personally. I look forward to getting to know the narrator and Fate better. :]

Overall, this prologue seems a little scattered and disjointed. I feel like this style might be on purpose, though, since it seems to be blending dreams with reality. It's an interesting style to read, and it definitely piqued my interest!

Okay, and on to some specifics...

It brings people together, it keeps you safe.

This is a really minor grammar nitpick, but this is technically a comma splice (that's when a comma is used to join two independent clauses). A semicolon or coordinating conjunction like "and" should probably be used instead. I feel like it's a very common way that people seem to use commas now, but English grammar rules don't like it, so *shrugs*

He's ruthless, cynical and most importantly, he cursed my town.

Here, I feel like a comma is needed between "cynical" and "and." >.> Not sure though.
I really like this line because it drives home how Fate is not "an amazing thing." It also sets up the feeling that the narrator has met Fate or gotten to know him, which intrigues the reader and makes them want to read more about Fate and how he cursed the narrator's town. So nice job!

Now I'm running away from him, the sky painted a twisted red, the world ceasing to be as I knew it.

I think this sentence is what most contributed to the confused feeling in this prologue for me. It seems like the narrator is running in the present, but nothing more is added to that, so I was kind of left hanging. xD It definitely does make the prologue seem random and dreamlike, though! So I'd say it's totally valid to keep it like this.
("a twisted red" is also a cool description.)

The corpses were never there they said.

(1) I would freak out if I saw a corpse. I wonder how the narrator handled it?
(2) I'm wondering who "they" are... Adults? Other people in general? I expect we'll find out eventually. xD

Each thing i expirenced was just a dream.

Gaslighting much? >.>
(Also, "expirenced" should be "experienced.")

Fate himself, talking to me in my dreams. Like a prophecy that i have to bear.

OoOoOOo.
Kinda wondering whether the lowercase "i"s are intentional. In poetry, I'd assume it's for style, but in prose, it's typical for "i"s to be uppercase. This prologue (again) does give off a dreamlike feel, though, so it could be intentional.
I'm also very curious why Fate talks to the narrator in his dreams... I doubt it's just to say "hey, what's up?" >_>

They didn't know, until that day. Where everything I saw happened.

Dun dun duuuuun.

This was a short prologue, but it makes me want to read more! Tag me when you post more chapters, and lemme know what kind of feedback you want to get! (Like grammar, vibes, reactions, etc.) Have a wonderful day/night! =D

herbalhour says...

i cannot apell...

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince