z

Young Writers Society



The Iliad. Remake.

by hekategirl


This is a script that one of my friends wrote, we are planning on acting this out and filming it. I'm the film/script editor, this is what it looks like after I edited it. If you want to see the original ask because it will be a enormous post if I include the original, and I don't know if anyone will want to read the original because its mostly the same. And this is not all of it ethier we are writing more, when we have more I'll post it. Anyway here it is.

Characters

Hector, greatest warrior in Troy, equeld only by Achilles. Trojan.

Achilles, greatest warrior in the world, equled only by Hector. Greek.

Sarpedon. Trojan.

Helen, wife of Menelaus. Greek.

Paris, foolish younger brother of Hector. Trojan.

Cassandra, Hectors wife. Trojan.

Menelaus, slighty mad husband of Helen. Greek.

Briseis, Hectors cousin, priestess of Apollo. Trojan.

King Agamemnon. Greek.

Ajax, one of the greatest warriors of the Greeks.Greek.

Diomedes. Greek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blank Screen

The Iliad

Or:

The Story of Ileum

[Fade to next shot]

Blank Screen

An Al-Hassanii Film…

[Fade to next shot]

Blank Screen

A Production of HMA…

[Fade to next shot]

Blank Screen

Special Thanks to Sierra ......

[Fade to next shot]

Blank Screen

Erin ....... and Sean ......

[Fade to next shot]

Blank Screen

This film is dedicated to Homer of Greece

And to the Trojans who perished fighting for

Their honor and their country.

ACT I, SCENE I (ext. morning):

(The Beach Of Troy)

(XWS) The Mountains around the Beach of Troy are covered in forest. Water washes gently up and down the shore under a soft morning breeze. Mist hangs about the landscape.

(XWS) The forest stands still, majestic and silent.

(WS) Huge seashore rocks stand impenetrable and quiet under the cloudy sky as waves break upon them. Mussels and barnacles stick in abundant clusters all over the rocks.

(CU of mussels)

(CU of ferns in forest)

(XWS) A woman and man stroll down the windy beach in the distance, hand in hand.

(WS from behind) The Trojan couple stands, looking out at the sea together, as the waves continue to come and go.

Narrator (solemn): Many thousand years ago, there was a land called Troy. Its people fought for many years under their hero, Hector, against a kingdom of Greeks called the Spartans. Though Hector fought well and loyally, all through the war he labored for peace. When at last peace was achieved, there was a celebration. [Exit Trojan Couple] During the celebration, Hector’s foolish younger brother, Paris, claimed to have fallen in love with Queen Helen of Sparta.

(XCU)

Paris (hysterical): I love her!

His eyes roll back into his head, and he collapses out of sight.

[Exit Paris]

(XWS of beach)

Narrator (narrative): Paris proposed desperately that Helen run away with him.

[Whip-Pan over to Helen (XCU)]

Helen raises one eyebrow, as if unable to believe what someone’s just said to her.

Helen (disbelieving): Marry him?

She points her thumb to the left.

[Whip-Pan to Paris]

Paris (hysterical): Marry me, Helen! [Sobs] Why won’t you marry me?!

A swiftly moving fist knocks Paris silly. He collapses.

[Exit Paris]

Up ahead is a solitary figure (Achilles).

[Zoom in Gradually as Narration continues]

Narrator: Unhappy with this response, Paris tricked Helen into boarding a Trojan ship and set sail. Knowing that her slightly mad husband, Menelaus, would think she had run away willingly, Helen did not attempt to escape. Hector was furious with his brother, but could not bring himself to send Helen back and risk Menelaus executing her, much less hand his brother over. As a result, the Greeks, under Menelaus’ brother, Agamemnon, set sail for Troy in a thousand triremes, fifty soldiers on every ship. Among them was Achilles son of Peleus. [Continue Zooming In] Achilles was the greatest warrior in the entire world, equaled only by Hector. His is a story of someone on the so-called 'bad guys' side, yet someone also inherently human, for all his faults. His story, though not necessarily the center of the Iliad, is a major part of the Story of Ileum.

Achilles continues walking down the beach.

[Fade to next shot]

ACT I, SCENE II (int. day):

(??????)

(CU) A fat, copper-skinned baby lies on the bed. [Zoom out Slowly] Hector and Cassandra sit on either side of him, playing

with him as he stares, wide-eyed and playful, up at each of his parents.

(CU) Cassandra grins at the baby playfully.

Cassandra (adoring): You’re such a cute little baby. [Looks up at Hector] Isn’t he beautiful, Hector?

(CU) Hector forces a smile.

Hector (half-hearted): He is he'll grow tall and strong.

(WS) Cassandra continues playing with the baby, who starts to cry, and Hector starts to walk out, a dark look on his face, as Cassandra attempts to console the child.

(MS from side) Hector goes and stands outside the house, looking out at the forest gloomily.

Hector (in thought): If the Greeks spare him when they raze our city, yes, he’ll grow. But if they do win…

[Trails off]

[Enter Sarpedon]

Sarpedon comes to stand beside Hector, his Prince. A shortsword is stuck in his belt.

Sarpedon (nervous): Uh...Hector?

Hector (distracted): Yes Sarperdon?

Sarpedon (emboldened): Are the Greeks really as powerful as they say?

Hector Sighs.

Hector (doubtful): Some say there will be more than ten-thousand. I say there will be thirty.

Sarpedon (amazed): Thirty-thousand men? Come off it, Hector, the Greeks have never had more than ten-thousand men in one place yet!

Hector: That’s because the Greeks have never ceased to war with each other until now. The Spartans have the toughest, most fanatical warriors in the world. They alone will provide a powerful strike force for the other Greeks. Then there are the Thesallians, the Mycenaeans, the Myrmidons, the Macedonians, the Epeans, and countless others. If they all come at once to Troy the walls won’t hold.

Sarpedon frowns worriedly.

[Exit Sarpedon]

ACT I, SCENE III (int. day):

(???????)

(MS) Paris is vainly attempting to bind Helen’s wrists with a rope. His clumsiness is causing him nothing but indignation.

Paris (frustrated): Sit still!

Helen manages to get her hands free, slaps him in the face, and kicks him across the room and out of sight. [Exit Paris] His disappearance is followed by a terrified scream. Helen begins laughing openly.

(MS) Paris is sitting in a toybox, looking anything except amused with the situation.

[Scowls]

Paris: It’s not funny.

Helen continues laughing. Paris scowls even more sourly.

Paris (wining): Hector! [Helen laughs even louder] HECTOR!

Paris is on the verge of tears, flailing his arms and legs and wailing ‘Hector’ over and over again. Helen laughs more hysterically than ever, and Paris’s wailing becomes increasingly indecipherable.

(WS)

[Helen Laughing, Paris Wailing; Enter Hector]

Hector: What’s the matter with you two?!

Paris (shaky): Sh-Sh-she… [Points at Helen]…h-h-h-h-hit m-m-me!

[Breaks into tearful wails]

(MS) He is silenced rather suddenly by Hector’s fist. He flops over sideways with his eyes closed.

(WS) Hector turns to Helen.

Hector (earnest): If you ask me to, I’ll send you home.

(CU) Helen ceases her laughter but does not respond.

(CU)

Hector (sincere): Anything you want I will give; you have but to ask.

(CU) Helen says nothing for a moment, but looks instead at the floor.

Hector (concerned): I will not say I know how you feel, but I do know that you are a good person, and that you must want to see your home again.

(CU)

Helen (bitter): If I try to go home Menelaus will kill me. If I stay here it will kill my spirit. Sure, you’d say it’s better to die, and live on inside, but I’m not like you.

(MS of Hector)

[Zoom in Gradually]

Helen Continues: I am afraid to die, I am accepting my fate, and I am not a heroine, nor am I trying to be.

(CU)

Helen (depressed): And my fate is to die here, alone in Troy, across the sea from my home in Sparta.

Helen turns her head towards the open window and looks out it gloomily.

(CU) Hector is quiet for a moment. Finally he goes to Helen and kneels before her.

Hector (confintantly): We cannot escape fate, Helen…but we can make the best of whatever fate is chosen for us.

(CU) Helen looks at him with skepticism but also the slightest glimmer of hope in her eyes.

ACT I, SCENE IV (ext. day):

(???????)

(MS from side) The beach is quiet.

[Enter Hector]

Hector looks out on the beach after leaving Helen.

(CG) There, in the ocean, are a thousand Greek ships approaching, endless hordes of triremes and troop transports flooding up to the beach in the distance.

(MS) Drums are beat. War has begun. Greeks flood up the beach.

Narrator (narritive): King Agamemnon arrives with Meneulaus and the Greeks in Troy. War has started.

ACT II, SCENE I (ext. day)

(The Beach Of Troy)

(MS) Diomedes charges madly up the beach sledgehammer held in one hand, the other clenched in a fist as he roars.

(CU) Ajax screams passionately, brandishing spear and shield, as he rushes up the beach.

(CU) Achilles darts up the beach. He dodges a swinging shield and stabs. Trojan Extra #1 falls dead on his back.

(MS from behind) Achilles rushes ahead of the main army into the Trojans, cutting them all down. One he picks up by the foot and throws aside before facing Sarpedon. Sarpedon swings. Achilles blocks with his shield and uppercuts with his sword. Sarpedon blocks with his own shield but stumbles back under the force of the blow. Achilles cuts overhead. Sarpedon steps aside desperately, slashes at Achilles’s side. Achilles blocks with his shield, spins while holding his shield against his back, and end the spin with a blow to the inside of Sarpedon’s shield. He places the tip at Sarpedon’s throat.

(CU) Sarpedon is astonished at the skill of his opponent. He looks down, amazed, at the sword-tip, clearly expecting to die, but Achilles does not move.

(CU)

Achilles (cold): Go home, little girl.

[Exit Achilles]

(WS) Achilles storms through the Trojans, cutting them all down, slashing, shoving with his shield, and walking by his victims on to new ones. His fighting style can only be compared with that of a son of Hercules himself.

(MS) Achilles throws an effortless blow behind him without looking away, and the last Trojan Extra falls to the ground, stone-dead. Achilles lowers his sword.

[Cheering]

(MS) The Greeks applaud their champions.

(CU)

Ajax (furious): ACHILLES!

(MS from behind) Achilles casts his shield aside and raises his sword in triumph. The Greeks continue to cheer.

[Fade to next shot]

(MS) Meanwhile, inside the Trojan barracks, Hector picks up his spear and shield. A sword is stuck in his belt by either hip.

He turns to Trojan Extra #2 expectantly.

Trojan Extra #2 (grim): We’ve still got men coming in from the countryside. The beach is taken already.

Hector (undaunted, fierce): When will we have our full force?

Trojan Extra #2 (grave): By noon.

Hector (determined): Make it sooner.

Trojan Extra #2 nods.

[Exit Trojan Extra #2]

(WS) The Greeks rush the Trojan Wall, roaring wildly.

(MS) The Trojans line up on the wall. Hector leads them.

(CU) Helen watches from the Citadel. She looks at the war with a sense of irony, whichever way the tide turns, it will still be bad for her.

(MS) Hector is shouting orders at his men.

[Enter Sarpedon]

Sarpedon is breathless. He grabs Hector by the arm.

Sarpedon (cautioning): Hector, listen to me: I just fought Achilles. We all know my skill, and he beat me in four moves and I’m only here now because he wanted us to know he is your equal.

Hector (dismissive): Good for him. Archers, get to the rear!

Sarpedon (insistent): Hector! Don’t underestimate Achilles. No one’s beat me as quickly as he did but you. Be wary of him. He took the beach practically alone.

[Hector nods]

[Sarpedon nods back and leaves]

[Exit Sarpedon]

Hector (authoritive): Trojans, make ready!

(WS)

Narrator (narritive): The Greeks make camp on the shores of Troy. The city is only half a mile inland.

ACT II, SCENE II (int. day)

(Trojan Temple)

(MS) The inside of the Temple is dark and empty. Briseis crouches alone in a corner.

(MS of door) Greek soldiers can be heard talking outside.

[Enter Achilles]

His sword is drawn. He does not carry a shield. He closes the door warily behind him. He walks forward cautiously.

Achilles (wary): I know you’re in here. Who are you?

(MS) Briseis freezes.

(WS) Achilles relaxes.

Achilles (dismissive): There’s no point hiding, girl. You’re Briseis, aren’t you? Hector’s cousin? Priestess of Apollo, am I right?

Briseis (frightened): Yes.

Achilles sticks his shortsword in his belt.

Achilles: Come with me.

Briseis (defiant): Why should I?

Achilles (sharp): Because if you don’t I’ll drag you out by your hair, and I can promise you that in any such case you’ll never see the inside of your city again.

(CU) Briseis relents. Without saying anything, she sticks out her chin, gets to her feet, and walks over to Achilles with dignity.

(WS) Achilles turns his back on Briseis and walks out of the temple. Briseis follows.

[Exit Achilles]

[Exit Briseis]

ACT II, SCENE III (ext. day):

(The Beach Of Troy)

(CG) Greeks cover the beach. They pour out of the sea by the tens of thousands, in chariots and carrying spears and shields. The bulk of the army, recently arrived, are ‘light troops’, men in ragged armor and short spears and round shields. The forward ranks are made up of thousands of hoplites, men with fur crests on their shining helmets and long spears behind their tall, oval shields. Hundreds of ships haven’t even struck the shore yet. Amid the masses are countless chariots, and at their head are a few select horsemen, commanders of the Greek invaders. Their masses move about on the beach busily. Banners line the forward positions. One or two slaves and common troopers work on buildings ahead of the encampment.

[Fade to next shot]

(WS of Trojans)

[Enter Paris]

Paris joins Hector presently at the front of the army. Paris whispers something to his brother, a goofy grin on his face as he speaks. Hector seems to be arguing, but quickly gives up.

Hector (proud): My brother, Princess….I mean…Prince Paris of Troy demands that Menelaus, husband of Helen, come forth to fight him for the right to Helen!

(CU) Helen, watching from behind the battlefield, groans and buries her face in her hands.

(MS) The Greeks wait. [Enter Menelaus] A very large man shoves his way through the crowd presently, holding a huge spear in both hands with a sword tucked in his belt.

Menelaus (cheerful): Come and fight me then, Princess Paris!

[Swings his spear through thin air]

(CU) Paris swallows hard.

(WS) Hector hands Paris his own sword and shield. Paris nods confidently and off he goes, across the field to fight Menelaus.

(WS from side) Menelaus waits.

[Enter Paris]

Paris prepares to fight.

(CU) Menelaus roars insanely and prepares to throw his spear.

(MS) Paris’s knees are shaking so much they threaten to collapse. His teeth can be heard chattering even from where Hector is standing.

(XCU) Menelaus bears his teeth savagely:

Menelaus: I’m going to cut out your brain! Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!

[Charges]

(MS)

[Zoom in Rapidly] Paris’s face twists into a sickened expression of absolute, uncontrollable, horrified terror as he gasps wordlessly.

Paris (horrified): Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

(MS) Paris scurries past Menelaus’s spear, which he now thrusts into the ground where Paris stood a moment ago. Like a terrified, screeching rat Paris runs back and forth, trying desperately to evade Menelaus’s blows.

Paris (terrified): Help! Help!

He runs towards the camra;

Paris (screaming): HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

(XWS from Hector point of view) In the distance, Paris continues to squeal in terror as he runs back and forth, trying desperately to evade Menelaus’s sword.

(MS) Paris screams again, turns, and runs, panting in an over-exaggerated manner all the way back to Hector.

(MS from side) Paris hurls himself down at the feet of Hector, clinging with his legs and arms to his big brother’s leg as he trembles violently.

Paris (shaky): B-b-big, sc-scary, c-c-c-c… [Sobs] CRRRRAZY GUY!!!

[Wails]

Hector tries to shake the younger man off, but Paris clings to him like he can’t get off.

(CU) Menelaus is wide-eyed with rage and disgust.

Menelaus (outraged): He’s mine! Give him to me, Hector! You know it is my right. I thought you were a man of honor! Give me Paris, and if he cannot win then give me Helen back so I can kill her!

(MS) Hector closes his eyes, fuming and ashamed.

(CU) Menelaus roars, infuriated, and charges forward.

(CU) Glaring, Sarpedon steps forward, bow in hand, points it into the air, draws it back, and fires an arrow.

(WS) The arrow sails down toward Menelaus.

(XCU) Menelaus grabs the arrow by the head as it goes into his shoulder.

Menelaus (in pain): Ah! [Looks over at his shoulder] Brother! they've broken the agreement!

(CU from behind) Hector whirls around viciously, glaring furiously at Sarpedon.

(CU) Sarpedon winces and backs away.

(XCU) King Agamemnon is enraged. His eyes go wide and his brows narrow in fury.

Agamemnon (outraged): The Trojans have shot Menelaus! The truce is over! ATTACK!

[Zoom out rapidly to WS]

Achilles (furious): Agamemnon, you old fool, we’re not prepared! The terrain is bad and we can’t hold the line!

Agamemnon (arrogant): Then run home to your mother!

[Points ahead with spear and roars; the Greeks attack]

(CU) Paris looks from the enemy to the camera, still clinging to Hector’s leg. His lower lips sticks out, his eyebrows raise, and his eyes widen. His neck stretches out as he looks at the camera.

(MS) Hector seizes his spear, which was sticking in ground beside him, as well as his shield, which is lying on the ground, and makes ready for battle.

Hector (vicious): To the top of the hill!

(WS) The Trojans line up at uphill from the Greeks on a muddy slope.

(MS) Hector looks back at his men.

(MS) Sarpedon is lined up on foot with the other men. They are ready for war, but also know that this enemy is like nothing they’ve ever seen before. They are afraid, but they will fight just the same.

[Pan Right Slowly]

(CU) Hector turns to face the enemy.

(WS) The Greeks and Trojans approach each other.

[Slow-motion]

Hector is at the front of the Trojans, Ajax at the head of the Greeks. They continue to charge each other for several moments.

[Slow-motion]

(MS) Achilles runs along in the front line of the Greeks

[Slow-motion]

(MS) The two sides are about to strike one another…

Hector (bellowing): DOUBLE BACK!

The Trojans suddenly turn tail and run in unison. The Greeks pursue them, puzzled.

(CG) A thousand arrows pour into the incoming Greek hordes. Greeks fall by the hundreds.

(MS) Several of the Greeks topple over with loud cries clutching wooden arrows against their chests, necks, and stomachs.

The charge falters. The Greeks hesitate.

(MS)

Hector: ABOUT TURN!!!

Now, as suddenly as they had retreated, the Trojans turn back around and charge. They smash the confused Greeks apart.

(CU) Greek Extra #1 is stepped on by Trojan Extra #4. Trojan Extra #4 runs right over his Greek enemy and onward into the main battle.

(MS) The Greeks and Trojans fight it out. The Greeks are falling. Now they begin to flee. The Trojans chase them down. The madness continues for a while with alot of screaming and bellowing.

(CU) Greek Extra #2 is stepped on and stabbed by Sarpedon.

[Pan up to reveal Sarpedon’s face; Exit Sarpedon]

(WS) The Greeks have been routed, but the Trojans will not spare them. They charge on into their enemy’s flanks, making a full retreat impossible.

(MS) Achilles turns around to hold off the Trojans alone if need be.

Achilles (screaming): Hold them! Force them back! Turn and fight! FIGHT THEM!!!!! Push the Trojans back!

(CU) Ajax roars ferociously and charges into the fray alongside Achilles.

(CU) Achilles hacks the Extras apart along with Ajax. He holds his shield out in front of him, blocking with the shield and stabbing underhandedly with his sword.

(MS) Hector thrusts a huge spear over the crowd into Achilles, who blocks with his shield. Hector pulls the spear back, thrusts the tip into the ground, and pushes his way toward Achilles and the others.

(MS) Several hoplites join Achilles and Ajax, and are doing their best to hold off the Trojan onslaught.

(WS)

Hector (furious): Reform the line! Reform! Reform the line!

The Trojans back off and the Greeks cheer, all except Achilles: the Trojans are drawing up in tight ranks, spears and swords ready to strike over their wall of shields.

(CU)

Hector (roaring): FOR TROY!!!

The Trojans answer him with a roar.

(WS) They charge, shield-wall in place. They strike the Greeks. The two sides proceed to slaughter each other yet again

[Screaming, shouting].

(MS)

Achilles (urging): Retreat! All Greeks, get back to the ships! Back to the ships!

[Enter Diomedes]

Diomedes (fierce): Our orders are to keep fighting as long as there is an army to do so!

Achilles (furious): There is no army here, Diomedes! This is a raving mob of dying Greeks. If you want to have an army to fight with later, we have to pull them back now!

Reluctantly Diomedes nods his consent.

[Exit Diomedes]

(CU)

Ajax (bellowing): Retreat, retreat! Fall back!

All around him the Greeks are fleeing in a mob: routed.

(MS)

Hector (triumphant) Keep on them! Show no mercy! Let their corpses lead the way to their ships!

The Trojans surge past him

(WS) The Greeks retreat with the Trojans hot on their tails.

(WS) The Trojans storm down the beach after the Greeks.

(MS) Hector ceases to pursue the Greeks.

Hector: Trojans, to me!

(CU)

Trojan Extra #5: To Hector! To the Prince!

[Exit Trojan Extra #5]

(MS) The Trojans rally round Hector, awaiting his commands.

Hector (determined): We’re now almost within range of their archers. We’ll never pass their defenses like this. So we will make camp here, on the beach, until they come out to attack us again.

Trojans (in unison): HECTOR!

[Trojans Disperse]

(CU) Helen watches with that same look of hopelessness on her face.

ACT III, SCENE I (int. night):

(???????)

(MS) Hector sits beside Cassandra. The baby is sitting in Cassandra’s lap.

Hector (troubled): I have to be honest with you, Cassandra. I’ve been keeping my fears outside the house, but now I must tell you what I think. [Sighs] We cannot win.

Cassandra (worried): The city can’t be taken. Our walls are too high, and with you to defend it the beach cannot be retaken.

Hector (cynical): A hundred years ago the Egyptians would’ve said the same; now look at them. And they were bigger then than we are now.

Cassandra starts to say something, but decides against it. Hector turns his gaze on the fireplace, thoughtful and grim. For a moment they are both silent.

Cassandra (reassuring): The walls of Troy have never been breached. No one can get inside the city while there are Trojans left to defend it.

Hector (skeptical): Yes, but for how long will there be Trojans left to defend it? How long before our heroes are slain and our soldiers beaten back? How long before… [Hesitates] Before our city burns.

(CU) Cassandra looks away, staring out a window into the dark.

(MS) [Zoom in Slowly] Outside is darkness. Inside, light is beginning to get dimmer.

ACT III, SCENE II (int. night)

(???????)

(MS) A flute plays jovially while the Trojans cheer and bang cups together. Hector stands alone swishing the water in his glass about, watching it move thoughtfully and quietly. Slowly he looks up at the other Trojans at the table.

(MS) At a table across the room are the Trojans, Sarpedon among them, laughing together and talking.

Sarpedon (laughing): So… [Forces himself to stop laughing] I let the bowstring go, and the arrow goes right through the air and…

He jolts backward violently, grabbing his shoulder in mock imitation of Menelaus being shot. Presently he begins to shake violently as the other Trojans laugh uncontrollably, and he topples right out of his chair onto the floor, gagging and kicking like he’s having a seizure.

(CU) Hector chuckles and sets his glass down on the table. Sitting down, he proceeds to address Sarpedon:

Hector (amused): You just can’t stop joking about, can you, Sarpedon?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 582 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
323 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 323

Donate
Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:02 pm
hekategirl says...



Aniar wrote:(actually spelled "The Illiad*")


No offense but it's not spelt with two 'l's only one.




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 4840
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:28 pm
Nai says...



(actually spelled "The Illiad*")





Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe