Jed & the snowglobe

by hayls

Jed

Solemnly the little girl walked, her left foot and then her right foot into the classroom. Laughter and enthusiasm filled the room, but her mind became imprisoned in moments she could never experience again. Her mind was suffering, covered in a blanket as black as midnight, the amount of doubt that rushed through her head began to be unbearable, this event had to have been non-existent. She slowly sat down, with a rather dull expression on her face. The thoughts engulfing her mind consisted of no one understanding her pain. A place in her heart now hollow, resembling a black hole, due to the tragic loss of someone she loved. This disease had taken its toll and left this little girl melancholy, at a loss of words. She thought, nothing could revive this gloomy day from its saddened state, until a package was delivered to her classroom addressed to her. Inside the manilla envelope laid a small, glass mason jar turned upside down into a snow globe. A bright blue lid and glistening glass, with a note written on the bottom in black, vivid ink, addressed from him. A warm feeling fell over her body as she held the snow globe in her cold palms. Memories flooded her mind, the chilled ice cream they had shared while camping sitting under the pavilion on that warm summer day. Or many visits to his house where the cinnamon aroma filled the air offering a warm greeting the minute her feet hit the doormat. The snow globe sparked in the sunlight, as the glitter fell upon the snowman inside. He possessed a small grin, a black top hat and a carrot nose. This was not an ordinary snow globe, her dear friend had made this before he went to a better place, a place where he was not suffering. The little girl's mind became inhabited by thoughts of how much this gesture meant to her. The emotions began to take over, tears of joy flowed down her face. She sniffled and smiled, staring at the delicate snow globe in awe. She sat at her desk holding the snow globe close to her, this persisted to be her definition of a miracle. When she spoke at his funeral she believed that would be that last time they would have a real connection, he was her best friend. This snow globe became an everlasting memory of the times they had together and she motivated herself to keep hold of those memories. The object she now owned erased the thoughts of many hospital rooms, visits to various medical centers, the days of bad news and the false hopes of remission. This little girl is me and I still hold this snow globe as if it were the first time, Jed was, is now and forever in my heart. 

DivergentDemigod wrote a review...

hey there

this was a heart breakingly sad in a good way kind of story. and i dont know why but it makes me want to quote The fault in our stars " some infinities are bigger than the other". this was just so brilliantlly written, i really could picture the little girl holding the snow globe for dear life and her best friend Jed, and while reading something thats what i look for. personally there wasnt a single thing that i would like to change about this this actually was a brilliant piece of work by you.
I really wish to more of such brilliant works of your around... but untill then keep up the good work!

happy review day
Fangirl~

P.S.- a late welcome to yws ;)

Soulfulwriter wrote a review...

I almost cried while reading this. It reminds me of when my mom lost her best friend to a serious depression issue. The times they had together and the years of their friendship, plays a powerful role in the writing that you are birthed. Everything about this relates to losing a best friend or ones' sense of self.
I want you to keep up the good work and try to stay positive about your writing, because being a writer is hard.

hayls says...

Thank you so much! I am truly sorry for your loss.

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)