Uro B'Oro

by haven235

Goes with this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/69mag8p3iziifit/rockproj...

Follow the synth for melody

Dive

Straight into your endless love

But I think I'm drowning

Cry

Seas of passion and regret 

Then I sink back into you! 

Lie

On a beach I got shipwrecked 

What the hell just happened?

Drink

Let the water fill my head

Put me out like a light

Dream

That I'm home sleeping in bed

When will I get back with

...you?

Chasing tails and going around and round

I'm stumbling,

Seeking gems so beautiful

Oh they're so fine

But none of them are as fine as you...

Sailing, looking at 

Blank maps to lead me towards

Empty treasure chests 

All the fool's gold's gone...

I'm stumbling,

Dropping gems so beautiful

Oh they're so fine

But none of them are as fine as you...

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy heeere!

I'm going to warn you before I begin with anything. Lyrics are not my strong point at all. I have written about a half-dozen songs (although none have completed melodies), so I'm not what you'd call an expert on this by any means. Regardless, I will read through and see if I can offer you any help on the parts I think read awkwardly.

Oh, and I listened to the accompaniment you have here. It is incredible, and I think combining the two together will create a lovely song. But I will also be leaving the melody out of the review because I couldn't follow along well enough. >< Mostly because I had no idea when the singing began. Perhaps if someoneee sang it? xD

On a beach I got shipwrecked

What the hell just happened?

The first line reads veryyy awkwardly to me - when I read it out-loud for flow. Mainly I suppose because the line doesn't flow all the way through. In a normal sentence, there would be a comma after beach. I'm not critiquing that since this is a song and not a short story. xD But I think if you reworded it in such a way so that it flows all the way through without that hitch. Perhaps just flip them around like: I got shipwrecked on a beach. I'll also say that I'm not a fan of the word got much in that line. It seems very rough and easy to stumble over. And, it doesn't sound nice with the voice, I think. :/ The second line merely seemed odd, since it didn't really add to the message in the song much at all. It just showed the character swearing and answering questions. And they're no resolutions for the shipwrecked and such? Seems odd how you're talking about shipwreck in one sentence, I would think there needs to be somewhat of an arc in the message - especially if you're changing the focus as you're doing.

Each new part after the single word seems to bear its own idea, wich is great. It just means the previous idea should have some kind of a wrap-up, a way of resolving it.

That I'm home sleeping in bed

When will I get back with

...you?

I've heard this phrase a few too many times for my liking, and I don't mind hearing it again if the song has a unique way of telling the reader. This read the same as the other times I've heard it, and I think you can do better. Either find something else that goes along the same lines, or find a different wording that doesn't have the cliche ring to it?

One thing I am not seeing here is a distinct message. Okay, I do think I see a message - but not one that separates this from the other million+ romantic songs out there about loss and love. And looking at the lyrics, I think I see something that separates it from the others, but I don't see a pattern in the song to set it apart enough. I think what needs to happen here is look at the piece - every line being carefully analyzed for content and message - looking at the message in each stanza for what it gives. And see if the song tells a distinct story, and each line builds to a conclusion.

As a whole, I love many of the phrases you use here and the song does flow rather well, even without the rhyming I see in most songs. Many songs seem to depend on the rhymes in order to maintain a flow, but yours didn't need it at all. ^.^ And your accompaniment music was <3333. I love love how you did it, and even though I can't see the lyrics in the song yet (because I don't know where it lies), I think the accompaniment was done wonderfully. I wish I had your talent. xD

I don't know what else to give you. :/ I wish I knew more about songs.
~Darth Timmyjake

haven235 says...

As I said to my other reviewers I made the music first then the melody and lyrics. And like you, I don't know much about writing lyrics. This is my second try.

I'm dabbling with poetry a bit to practice since, I think lyrics are poems that just have music behind it.

I really appreciate your review, and you gotta try making songs again. Maybe I'll whip up a sweet tune for some ;)

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:54 pm
Rook wrote a review...

I'd like to tell you that I did not listen to the music, and I'm sorry, because I know that's what you intended it to be for. I'm usually much less critical on lyrics when I can actually hear them in the song they're supposed to be going to, but you know those popular songs? One of my main complaints with a lot of them are: "their lyrics are stupid." So sometimes not even the music can save it.

That said, I probably wouldn't really be complaining a lot about this song, if it's music was good (which, by Demeter's review, I will assume it is).

I like the ocean theme that's going on here, but I'm afraid that some of it is a little cliche. This is probably because most love songs/poems I read strike me as cliche. I'm not a big fan of them in general. You have some nice images, like the blank map. I like the idea of the water filling the narrator's head. And I'm not sure what the tails has to do with it, but I kind of like the rhythm of that phrase, and it's not that cliche. The gems aren't as beautiful as you bit read as pretty cliche, but if that's where your main inspiration and point of writing this is, then feel free to work around it.

I think the most cliche parts are the two lines after "dive," "cry," and "dream." That is my personal opinion, but I think those are your weakest/most cliche lines, and I think you could do better.

Also, I don't like the ...you? thing, with the ellipses. It might match how your music goes, but you don't need to punctuate lyrics to how the song goes. This advice can be taken for a lot of your needless punctuation in here too.

That's mostly all I have. Let me know if you have any questions!

haven235 says...

It's difficult to write lyrics, so I'm not surprised that this isn't that good. For now, I'm only writing something that somewhat makes sense, but has to fit with the melody which I came up with first. Do you think that you can still write good lyrics with restrictions like the ones I mentioned, or should I write words first then make music around that?

Rook says...

In my experience, I think it can go either way, but I find that the lyrics make a lot more sense when you write them first. That way, you're centered around one theme, and you have a start point, end point, and all you middle things. Then, you can mold the music to fit it, changing words where necessary.
I've seen some wonderful parodies though, where, obviously, the music was written first, and pretty much all of the lyrics make sense. There's always that one line though that the reader's like "yep, that makes no sense."
I think either way, it just takes practice.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:10 am
Demeter wrote a review...

Hi there, Haven!

Wow - I've never reviewed lyrics on YWS that actually have music to them! I'm really impressed! I downloaded the music and listened to it while I read the lyrics, but I had a hard time figuring out where the singing would start, so I'll just review the lyrics on their own for now. (I really liked the atmosphere of the music though, it really gave the words a power that couldn't have been there if I had just read the words without the music.)

I like the beginning with the Dive, Cry, etc. I would've liked to see more of that towards the end - now it kind of felt like all the verses were in the beginning and the end was just the chorus repeated. So I'm not sure what you want the balance to be or whether the music will let you repeat stuff and make the order of the different parts less concentrated towards the different ends.

That's actually really the only thing I could think of to say. Well done with the music, and hope you're able to record the song with the lyrics soon!

Demeter
x

haven235 says...

I'm surprised that you didn't think that there's a lot to fix with this song. Then again, that's my own opinion, and the reason why I posted this here.

I was thinking of having the structure be intro/verse-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-finale...for now. The song's short because I was itching to get some second opinions. Honestly only the first two verses are final, so I'm not sure if you fully understood the message of the song. Mind telling me what you think it's about?

Thanks again

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature