z

Young Writers Society



Lily (HP 7 SPOILERS)

by gyrfalcon


Here is my second entry for Whence's "The Snape" poetry competition. This is a poem that (theoretically) Snape might have written about Lily Evans.


Green eyes that haunt,
Emeralds that pierce my soul,
Shining out ‘neath locks
Of ruby red and sunlit gold.

Disgraceful love, for though my veins
Hold only half a Prince,
Her blood is clogged with Muggle dirt,
And yet: those mud-born lips I long to kiss.

Unlovely and unloved I know I am,
But if a fool may dream,
Let magic deeper than my wand
Pull her to me, make her my Queen.

The very worst of rivals bars my way;
He who is possessed of all I lack.
His smile, his skill, his charm all hold her gaze,
And on her faithful friend she turns her back.

And yet I love her, yet I linger still,
Watch from the shadows, pray for just a smile,
And if there is one wish I might dare breath:
Let me but watch, and worship for awhile.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
661 Reviews


Points: 15961
Reviews: 661

Donate
Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 am
Jasmine Hart wrote a review...



I agree that this was out of character, but, if I ignore that, I really love this. It was beautifully written, and your imagery was amazing, especially "sunlit gold". I love the contrast provided by the second stanza, and this was really well developed. My only slight problems were that you sometimes twisted your sytntax, and this sounded a little odd. (e.g lines 8 and 9). I'd omit "but" from the last line. Maybe change it to "just" if you really want a word there.Hope this helps.




User avatar
411 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 411

Donate
Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:05 am
Sohini says...



Wow...the poem is really good, but i don't think Snaape could have written it.
Anyway, the yearning for Lily and the lonilness has been well brought out.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:26 am
gyrfalcon says...



um....darling, you know I love you, but if anyone else gave me a crit that badly spelled/grammar-checked (i.e. "snap"), I wouldn't exactly listen to them. Put some effort into what you say and I'll put some effort into applying it.




User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 24

Donate
Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:25 pm
spokenfor09 wrote a review...



ya see i agree with ( ooo forget their name) whoever it was that said that it wasent snapish. pesonetly i think snape would have tried using a potion or somting to get her to like him. and i dont think snape was ever emo. also dont think sape ever let himslef love her fully because he cared to much about blood status. it dident seem to make much sence to me when u wrote about james as the reson that the (lily and snape) dident work out. i think that snape knew that its because he cared so much about blood status which is also part of the reson he hated james and serius so much because they were pureblood. he inveied them but wouldent admit it so he tryed to be better then him. and i could tell (partily just from knowing u) that its told from a girls point of view. like the phycy of guys and girls are diffent so i think it might have come more from the point of veiw of a posesve roll. because his "love" for her was selfish he would have wanted to own her more then worship her.
this is of course asuming i understand snap's mind. ... foolish me. but on the tycnical side of things i think it was really good it had a good ryme scheme and worked well with itself. good job! *gives cookie*




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:04 am
gyrfalcon says...



Thanks for the feedback, Meep! The problem with the puppy-dog feel to the love described in the poem is that the only time I thought Snape might (realistically) EVER write a poem was if he was in a sort of "emo" mood or such. Also, I know her birth status didn't affect his love, but it might have been a factor in why he kept it secret, and possibly why it was such a tortured love.

Thanks again, love! *gives cookie*




User avatar
210 Reviews


Points: 6040
Reviews: 210

Donate
Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:45 pm
Meep wrote a review...



Speaking as a role player more than a poet, I don't think this sounds like something Snape would have written. I think the sentiment is right (more or less, but hold onto that thought) but the tone is a little poetic, romantic and sentimental for a guy like Snape, you know? It sounds like a shallow, teenagerish, puppy love attraction, but Snape's love seems to be different, deeper than that.

I'm not sure the second paragraph is entirely appropriate. I just reread The Prince's Tale, and from the sound of it, the only thing keeping Lily from Snape was James. Snape didn't seem to put her in the "Mudblood" category when he thought about her. It didn't matter to him, although it did slip out that one time, which destroyed what they'd been. He regretted it, though, and tried to explain that he didn't mean it.

I really love that last line, though.

Again, this is more from experience as a role player, playing other people's characters properly is hard. I'm really not much of a poet.




User avatar
164 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 164

Donate
Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:32 pm
Poltergiest says...



I've already read it but I still like it. Tis good!

~Pol





If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson