z

Young Writers Society



In Thrall

by gyrfalcon


Danteel had been Moncreif’s slave over seven years before I came to the Avarice. I was very young then, especially for an officer and a doctor; I think he was thirty-three, but he naturally looked much older. I’m not a storyteller and, to be honest, this really isn’t my story, it’s his. But someone needs to tell it, and for one reason or another, he considered me a friend. I think I have the honor to be the only human he addressed as such. You will enter events when and where I did, that first day of duty under Captain Moncreif, master of the Avarice and much else besides.

Lark Erabon stumbled late into the conference room, running his fingers through his recently cropped black hair, straightening the new uniform that didn’t quite fit despite his average build. The meeting was already underway, of course, and as he took his seat the captain regarded him coolly. “So good of you to join us, Lieutenant,” he said, his voice oily.

Lark swallowed. “Sorry I’m late, sir. I couldn’t find my room at first, and then there was no one there to help me with my things, so—”

The captain held up a hand and Lark stopped mid-excuse. Moncreif’s tall, imposing form was outlined against the endless vista of stars in the large viewport behind him, and it seemed for a moment that the captain belonged more to the endless vacuum than to this small, oval room. “That was not an invitation for an explanation, lieutenant. If you are to be my new medical officer. I expect you to have better sense than to waste my time.”

“Yes, sir.”

The other officers in the room looked at him with expressions ranging from pity to scorn. They’re glad it’s not them being fried, Lark thought. They’re glad he’s got a new target.

After a few seconds of palpable tension, Captain Moncreif motioned smoothly and a burly, brown haired man, first officer by his rank cylinders, stood. He tapped a few keys on the table and a holographic representation of the Avarice appeared in the center. The smooth, dagger-like shape of the powerful ship hovered in front of them, almost as menacing in miniature as Lark had found her during his approach in a shuttle not two hours ago. As the officer began to give the routine reports, Lark tried desperately not to squirm in the unrelenting gaze of the captain. Eventually, though, Moncreif shifted his attention to his first mate and Lark was free to look around the room.

Unsurprisingly, all of the people assembled were human and male. Even if this had not been the policy for the interstellar Navy, Lark had heard that Moncreif had an intense disdain for both aliens and women. It was something he had never been able to understand about officers in general. All his life, he had been surrounded by both, and had never found either inferior. As his gaze roved surreptitiously around the room, it snagged on something lurking in a darkened corner.

He had to consciously repress the instinct to flinch, or worse, to cry out like a child afraid of monsters. But if there had ever been a creature to haunt the dreams of young ones, it was the one that stared back at him with cold, hateful black eyes. Skeletally gaunt with chalk white skin and shoulder-length black hair, the apparition glared at him.

Lark swallowed. He had heard the rumors, everyone had. Even with slavery legal, few in the realm, even wealthy men, dared to own many slaves, especially in the Navy. But the rumors were true: Moncreif had a Nagai.

As the meeting continued, the Nagai never stopped staring at him. Lark, as such, had a very hard time concentrating. Eventually, he realized that the expression in the haunting dark eyes was not so much hatred as curiosity. As the meeting ended, he even worked up the courage to meet the intimidating glare.

“Mr. Erabon!”

Lark’s head swiveled to face the captain, who was looking at him as if Lark were an insect he would like very much to squash. Belatedly, he realized the captain had been trying to get his attention for the past several minutes. “Yes, sir?” he squeaked.

“Since you are so fascinated with my slave, perhaps you would like him to help you to move your luggage into your quarters.” It was not a question.

A dead silence fell over the rest of the officers, as palpable as cold water running down Lark’s spine. “If you wish, sir,” he managed.

Moncreif leaned back, regarding the doctor through his interlocking fingers. Then he spoke in a language Lark did not know. The words were soft and almost slippery. It took Lark a moment to realize he was speaking to the Nagai. The slave answered back, his voice creeping under Lark’s skin and tickling the nerves until they tingled. Lark shivered.

Silently, the slave began to walk out of the room. Moncreif inclined his head to indicate that Lark should follow. Scrambling out of his chair, Lark followed.

* * *

The Nagai walked steadily towards the shuttle bays, Lark trotting along behind him. Eventually, he stopped and turned to face the lieutenant. His hard eyes evaluated the human with all the warmth of an artic winter. Lark realized abruptly that the corridors were empty as far as he could see. The Nagai stared at him for a long, long time, until Lark decided that he was waiting for him to speak.

He cleared his throat. “Ahem. So, what’s your name?”

The Nagai didn’t answer. Perhaps he didn’t speak Basic. That would be in keeping with his luck.

Lark placed a hand on his chest and said, very slowly, “My-name-is-Lark.”

No answer.

“Lark Air-ah-bon,” he said, annunciating carefully.

Still nothing. The black eyes were blank.

Lark sighed. “You don’t understand a word I’m saying, do you? Well, I’m sorry that I don’t speak your language but between Moncreif wanting to fry me and your staring at me like death itself and the whole big, blasted ship having so many blasted corridors that a man can’t get his blasted luggage—”

“Are you quite done?”

Lark stared, open-mouthed at the Nagai. His expression was still impassive, but the lieutenant had the feeling he was being laughed at. “You knew Basic the whole time?”

“I’ve known it longer than you have,” he said, and though he had an accent, it was an aristocratic rather than alien one.

Lark peered at him. There were no wrinkles in the sharp face, but of course one needed spare skin to have wrinkles. There were sidelocks of silver in the black hair, but beyond that hardly any signs of age. “Why didn’t you talk to me?”

“When...the Captain sends me out alone with one of his men,” said the Nagai slowly, “it is one of those rare occasions where I have free choice. If I choose to kill him, I am not punished. And if we fight and he wins, the incident is carefully forgotten.”

Lark stared. “What?”

The Nagai shrugged. “Isn’t that the way of your kind? A member is inconvenient, now he his dead, problem solved.”

Only for the insane members of my kind[/] Lark thought. He started to protest, to defend the several decent humans he knew, but stopped. He swallowed. “Why didn’t you kill me? I’m sure you could have.”

The Nagai’s eyes narrowed. “Because it was my choice.” He turned and continued to walk towards the shuttle bays.

Lark caught up with him. “So what is your name?”

“Danteel.”

“Have you ever spared a life before? Have you ever even lost?”

“No.”

“Then why—" he tried again, but was cut off.

Danteel whirled on him. “[i]You are not my master,” he hissed. “It is not for you to question what I do and why I do it.”

It took a supreme effort for Lark not to wet himself. Deep from the infinite depths of Danteel’s eyes blazed a mad, silver light. The blaze seemed to engulf him even more than the blackness, and Lark was sure he had never been so afraid in his life. Without another word, Danteel resumed walking.

With some difficulty, Lark again found his voice. “Where are we going?” he asked meekly.

“To get your luggage.”

As it turned out, the Nagai was much stronger than he looked, hefting Lark’s two biggest suitcases without trouble. Lark himself took the rest, and they both deposited their loads in the new doctor’s spartan quarters.

Before Danteel could leave, Lark was determined to have an answer. “Why did you spare my life?”

Danteel regarded him. “You are a doctor, yes?”

“Yes.”

“Someday, I’m going to need your abilities. Me, personally, not Moncreif. I’m going to need you to treat someone I care about. I needed you to owe me one.”

“I do owe you, but--.”

“Good.” With that he turned and left Lark alone in his room.

* * *

For the next few days, Lark did his best to get comfortable onboard the huge ship. His medical staff was small, but injuries were rare, so he managed to keep pretty regular hours in the med bay. He never saw Danteel during this time, or the captain, and that was all right with him.

Then, about a week afterwards, just as he was getting ready for bed, his personal comm. beeped at him. He yawned and tapped a key. Moncreif’s voice came over the speaker. “Lieutenant Erabon?”

Lark straightened automatically, even though he knew the captain couldn’t see him. “Yes, sir?”

“Report to my quarters. Come quickly and bring your med kit.” His voice was calm, almost nonchalant.

“Are you hurt, sir?”

“Just come, Mr. Erabon.”

Lark obeyed. He had been to the captain’s quarters only once before, but he knew the way. The suite of rooms was dark and apparently empty. “Sir?” Lark called into the darkness.

“Over here, Lieutenant.”

The voice almost gave Lark a heart attack. He turned, and could see the vague outline of the tall man in the gloom. “Yes, sir?”

“This way, Lieutenant.” Moncreif opened a door Lark did not remember seeing before, and led the doctor down a short corridor into a small room. The light was better here, but just barely. But what Lark saw in the dim light almost made him throw up.

Danteel was on his knees, leaning heavily on the opposite wall, his breath coming in long, ragged gasps. His bare back was covered in long, ugly welts and was caked with half-crusted blood. His narrow shoulders bore countless lash-marks, and sweat glistened off his pale white body. For a moment, the purely medical side of Lark wondered how he could have red blood and white skin. But then all parts of him were speedily trying to hold back the bile and vomit that rose in his throat, threatening to break loose.

His disgust translated easily into anger. He turned to his captain, biting back all the words that rushed to the forefront of his mind, only letting one of them out. “You bastard.”

Moncreif gave a thin-lipped smile. “Considering the circumstances, I am inclined to forget you said that.” He flexed his left hand, which Lark now saw held a long, black whip.

Swallowing his emotions, Lark tried to ignore the captain and knelt in the shallow pool of blood that surrounded Danteel. The Nagai’s hands were pressed against the wall, the fingers curling and uncurling, scraping the steel. His eyes were closed, his breathing labored. The wrists were raw and bleeding, sending trickles of red down the thin arms. Lark examined, or tried to examine, the Nagai’s back. “I need to get him to the med facilities,” he said. “He’s had massive blood loss and he looks like he’s on the verge of going into shock.”

“You will treat him here, Lieutenant.”

“But, Captain—“

“You will treat him here.” The hand holding the whip flexed again, and for a moment--just a moment--Lark allowed himself to imagine the pain of just a single blow from such weapon in the hand of one who knew how to use it. He clenched his teeth and returned his attention to Danteel.

He cleaned the wounds on his back as well as he could, peeling away some of the worst of the scabs. The Nagai hissed quietly when he did this, but did not cry out. Lark wound clean bandages around Danteel’s wrists and wiped the blood off his arms. He pressed dozens of med-patches against his back to stop the bleeding, and succeeded at last. Using the last of his med kit's bandages, he wrapped up the Nagai’s entire torso, trapping extra patches between the injured back and strips of cloth. When he was finally done, he was covered in blood, but Danteel was breathing normally.

Lark looked up, dead-eyed, at Moncreif. “Well done, Lieutenant,” he said. And then he left the room, leaving Lark alone with the Nagai.

Danteel had not spoken once during the procedure, nor had he opened his eyes. Lark was not sure if he was conscious or not, but he certainly wasn’t going to leave him here. “Can you hear me?” he asked.

The Nagai nodded, once.

“Can you walk?”

Danteel sucked down a breath before nodding again, much more hesitantly.

Lark got an arm around the Nagai’s shoulders, trying not to press too hard, and lifted. Luckily, Danteel was not very heavy. He even managed to support his own weight when Lark eased off, but he leaned heavily on the doctor and needed help to walk. Unsure of whether it would get him into trouble, he took the Nagai to his own quarters. He helped him to lie down on his own bed and then got out the sleeping pad he had brought from home and set up a makeshift cot with it.

Danteel lay on his stomach, his black eyes watching as Lark emerged from the bathroom, clean of blood and wearing a dressing gown. Lark stopped and looked awkwardly at the Nagai.

“Why?” said Danteel.

Lark swallowed. “Why what?”

“Why all this…for me?”

Lark didn’t answer for a long time. “I’m a doctor,” he could have said, “I don’t need an excuse to help people.” What came out was, “I owed you.”

“This is not what I intended when I spared your life; I have survived worse.”

Lark tried very hard not to think about what could have been worse than what he’d just witnessed. “What, then?”

“I am not Moncreif’s only slave.”

Lark held the gaze without flinching. “There is such a thing as mercy and compassion,” he said at last.

“I have not seen them.”

“You’re seeing them now,” said Lark. “And you’ll see them again.” He slid under the blankets of the cot.

Danteel still watched him. “You are…unique.”

Lark smiled and closed his eyes, burrowing deeper into the blankets. “Not so unique.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:36 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Twit, your catches are wonderful--thanks much! As to your question...

How many children does Moncreif have? Has he had any by his alien mistresses, or is he using a kind of space birth control?


*smug* More than he'd like, I'll say that much. I have a sort of idea in the back of my head to do something with them later, when I'm not doing much else. None of them live in the estate at the moment (he generally sells them when they're old enough).




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:16 pm
Twit wrote a review...



Yay, you put more up! :D

Well, as this is in two halves... The second was very very very good. On the one hand I'm not surprised that Moncreif has nightmares, and yet it's very humanizing, if that's the right word. It shows his more vulnerable side at the same as you describe his eyes as "demon-green", which is very cool. And Chaya kisses him afterwards, apparently because she wants to? Oy vey. o_0

The first half was not as good. Some of your sentences don't run quite right.

Lark dreamt that he was having tea with Lataar, but her teacup was full of the anti-infective cream, which had gone bright yellow—the color of only the most virulent infections.


At first I thought this was too long, but it isn't that. I think it's that your commas are wrong, and that it's a very abrupt opening. I don't think you need the red comma. Perhaps you could reword so that the fantastical parts of it are introduced more smoothly. So something like, Lark dreamt that he was having tea with Lataar. She smiled at him and fluttered her feathers, and he smiled back at her. Then he saw that her teacup was full of the anti-infective cream which had gone bright yellow—the color of only the most virulent infections. I know that the action I put in isn't very in character, but you get the picture. Add in something else so it isn't so rushed.



Lataar seemed to enjoy it, however, and kept drinking and drinking even as Lark tried to tell her to stop, that wasn’t a good idea.


The "however" is awkward. You could take it out and I don't think it would hurt.

You've got the second bolded bit down like it's dialogue, and that's all right, but it doesn't run right. Perhaps, ... even as Lark tried to tell her stop, that that wasn't a good idea or something.



Finally he sprang out of his seat and grabbed her arm, and at the touch she shattered like glass, the fragments passing right through him.


Too many ands, and too many actions in one sentence. I'd split it in two.



He flung up his hands to protect his head nevertheless, and when he lowered them, he discovered that he was standing in utter darkness.


Nix, it's awkward.

---

How many children does Moncreif have? Has he had any by his alien mistresses, or is he using a kind of space birth control? (That sounds kind of weird... do Star Trek aliens use the pill?)




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:57 pm
gyrfalcon says...



*waves white flag*

By popular demand (please don't kill me, I know it's short):




Lark dreamt that he was having tea with Lataar, but her teacup was full of the anti-infective cream, which had gone bright yellow—the color of only the most virulent infections. Lataar seemed to enjoy it, however, and kept drinking and drinking even as Lark tried to tell her to stop, that wasn’t a good idea. Finally he sprang out of his seat and grabbed her arm, and at the touch she shattered like glass, the fragments passing right through him. He flung up his hands to protect his head nevertheless, and when he lowered them, he discovered that he was standing in utter darkness.

It was then that he realized that he was asleep, and had been dreaming. He did not wake up, but he was certain, absolutely certain, that he was dreaming no longer. At least, was not dreaming his own dreams. There was the fluttering of wings, the rushing sound of something speeding through the air, and suddenly his world exploded back into color and movement.

He was flying, his vision was sharper than it ever had been and tinged in shades he never knew existed. His body felt intensely fragile, like a leaf on the wind, but the exhilaration, the pure joy of flight overrode that nervousness and he called to the sky in joy. Then his body moved of its own volition, tucking in his wings and diving directly downwards, the wind whistling through his hair and over his feathers, the ground getting closer and closer until—

Again, darkness. Lark stood on nothing, surrounded by nothing. His body was the old, familiar, heavy one, and wingless. He gulped, but the sound was swallowed by the eternal nothingness. Even his heartbeat, hammering in his ears, was a muted, distant thing. He considered calling out, and finally worked up the courage to say, “Hello?”

A pair of eyes, each twice as long as his body, opened just a few feet away. They were Moncreif’s eyes.

He awoke in the middle of a scream.

* * *

Chaya awoke because she felt the long fingers around her throat, trying to strangle her. Moncreif was having nightmares. Again. She leaned in, trying to ignore the black dots that swam at the edge of her vision as her master’s dream-driven grip sought to extinguish the breath from whoever it was he thought lay beside him. Chaya kissed him, pressed her lips to his as hard as she could and felt his hands loosen, fall away. With a soft moan he fell back, demon-green eyes still closed. She couldn’t fight back the coughs that came with her restored breath.

He came awake at the sound, but groggily, and it seemed to take him awhile to realize where he was. He half sat-up in bed and put a hand over his eyes without touching his face. Chaya lay as still as she could, not quite pretending to sleep, but hoping that he might lose interest in her if she didn’t move. This happened most times when he had nightmares. Occasionally, however, the dream would still have a grip on him, a grip so strong that his mercilessness reached new peaks and the pain he exerted made her realize how much he otherwise held back.

But this time he looked down at her, his eyes blank, his face slack and almost child-like. He opened his mouth and exhaled, moving his lips as if intending to speak, but no sound emerged. Then he collapsed, his head landing on her shoulder, his arm across her body. His steady breathing and relaxed muscles told her that if he no longer dreamt of strangling anyone.

She settled back down to sleep beside him and, just before drifting off, planted a gentle kiss on his cheek.




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:40 pm
Swires says...



Oh wow - All the best for Gypsies Eyes, I've been following In Thrall more than I have "Eyes." Hope to see it on Amazon within the next year :)




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:19 pm
gyrfalcon says...



*wails* I'm trying to get Gypsie Eyes published, I'm afraid Danteel's been on the backburner a bit...and glaring at me from the backburner. :(




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:38 pm
Swires says...



*Thrash*

Get another installment out.




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:49 pm
Swires wrote a review...



I thought you had reached a point in "In Thrall" where the story would not progress (as we discussed). However you just proved me wrong. We have reached yet another segment of your story and you are allowing us only to suckle at it, tempting us to read more and more. I have said this before: In Thrall really isn't a sci-fi story but a character study encased through the medium of science fiction. And its a really interesting relationship. Moncrief is not a cut out but a real person with motives and agenda's that develop as the story continues. As the reader, I want to uncover and dig up more and more about Moncrief. It seems like he is collecting slaves. What is that man planning?

God, if you want me to ever write a full length review for this when it is published (and it will be once its been polished) I will happily do so on amazon etc...

-----


“What do you mean?”

Later. When I molt. She glanced at him and then extended a wing towards him, the pinions almost brushing his shoulder. A feather in thanks. When I molt.

“A S’kytri feather,” he breathed. He knew little enough of her culture, but everyone knew how valuable a S’kytri feather was—the avian species guarded their molted plumage jealously, apparently believing that anyone who owned one of their feathers would have power of the S’kytri himself. “Thank you.”

She smiled for a second time.

-----

Watch this though, a little confusing - is your punctuation in the right place? Also you have kind of ignited an atomic bomb inside the eye of a needle. That is - you are telling us something in a confined space. Don't be afraid to meander at this point because it is tremendously interesting stuff. You already have the reader firmly addicted to In THrall, who is to say you can't dump slots of *relevant* information in now and again?

Superb story. Superb characters.

Regards, Adam.




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 3594
Reviews: 53

Donate
Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:35 pm
Deifyance says...



keep it coming :D I'm a fan!




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:38 am
gyrfalcon says...



Dinner was a quiet affair. Moncreif and Danteel sat at opposite ends of the low table, the five women arranged on either side. All reclined on cushions, as was the Nagian custom, though far more stiffly than was usually required. Chaya was seated to Moncreif’s right, Yellesha—the feathered girl—to Danteel’s. Ret had laid the table and then withdrawn, presumably to enjoy his own meal elsewhere. The only sounds were the clink of cutlery on dishes, the subtle shifting of weight, and the occasional, whispered request to pass something.

It all reminded Danteel, yet again, of the home he had left behind, the peaceful mealtimes shared between his father, mother, sister, and himself. But those gathered here were not Nagian, not raised to the solemn observance of a silent repast, and such observance was all too clearly a thing forced on them.

Moncreif rose first, his plate clean, and touched Chaya lightly on one shoulder. Though she had no finished, she rose without a word and followed him. The other four women watched those two hawkishly, and Danteel could almost hear them mentally counting down the seconds until their master was out of earshot. Each of them seemed to have the same countdown, for at the same moment they all relazed, breathing out in a collective sigh.

Yellesha turned to Danteel, her blue-gold crest feathers rustling. “So, you are the Nagai,” she said, her voice surprisingly cat-like for so avian a creature.

Danteel regarded her coolly—he had not forgotten her earlier fawning over Moncreif. “Obviously.”

She giggled, and Danteel winced at the sound. “I do not mean to pry,” she said, her curious eyes giving the lie to her words. “But we so rarely get visitors here. In fact, never that I can remember.”

The woman with midnight-blue skin—Tilkim if Danteel remembered her name right—snorted. “Your memory of this place counts for little, as it extends back only a few months.” Tilkim turned to the Nagai. “Please excuse our little ‘sister’ sir. She is as ignorant as she is rude.”

Danteel nodded deeply to her, then glanced at Yellesha, who had returned haughtily to her food. “There must always be a youngest,” he said.

Tilkim and the other two nodded. “I once held that…honor,” said a woman with pale brown skin and smooth features. Danteel could not quite place her name, and she half-turned as if speaking to Yellesha as well. “Such a thing often fades quickly, to be replaced by a more…realistic outlook.”

Yellesha’s feathers rippled. “It is not I who am denying reality, Shentiri. You all act as if we were in the netherworld already, with a demon for our jailer. There are far worse masters than him to be had.”

Tilkim’s dark eyes flashed. “Spoken as one born to this life,” she spat, and Danteel got the sense that this was an old quarrel.

He said quietly. “Netherworld or not, we all have the same jailer.”

The women all seemed to relax slightly at his words, and he could see Yellesha’s feathers settling. It was Tilkim who spoke: “True words, sir. And all too quickly forgotten.”

They ate in silence for awhile. When Danteel was done, Ret appeared and carried off both his dishes and Moncreif’s and Chaya’s. Slowly the others finished, but none showed any signs of wanting to leave. Ignorant or not, Yellesha had probably been right when she’d lamented their lack of visitors.

Danteel leaned back on his cushion, one hand on the table. “I am curious,” he said at length, “how Moncreif affords such an estate.”

There was a small wave of surprised gasps. “You speak his name?” Shentiri asked in wonder.

And Danteel remembered. In Nagian lore, the use of a person’s name had always been one of the pivots on which a tale could turn. To know a person’s name was fine, and to use the name of one socially below you was not only accepted but—among the upper classes—encouraged. The use of names between equals was a sign of that equality, almost of friendship. But to call by name one above you, one who, in most cases, had some power over you? Pure folly, for to do so was to call on that person, to summon their interest even if they were a thousand miles away.

How could he have forgotten so easily? Or perhaps he hadn’t, and calling his master by name had been his unconscious way of defying him. But Moncreif had allowed it. Moncreif, who by all Danteel had seen so far aspired to nothing so much as to be Nagian, had allowed a slave to call him by name.

The women were still staring. Danteel shrugged as if dismissing the entire affair. “If he has taught you anything about my people, you must know that we do not submit easily. As to my question?”

Tilkim shook her head. “None of us knows how he came by such wealth. We have learned not to ask questions.”

“Wise,” Danteel conceded. “Will you think me any less wise if I ask them?”

There was a short round of chuckling. “Not at all, sir,” said Yellesha coyly.

He frowned. “Why do you not call me by my name? If we are not equals, then you have a very strange idea of equality.”

They shifted uncomfortably. The brown one, Shentiri, said, “It is not our idea of equality that we follow, sir. The captain has made it very clear—without actually saying it outright—that you are the highest of his slaves. Higher than Ret, or even Chaya.”

Danteel felt a chill go down his spine, and shuddered. “I want no such distinction,” he breathed, almost snarling.

“He said you were born nobility,” Shentiri continued as if she hadn’t heard him. Perhaps she hadn’t. “All but a prince on your homeworld, and that even a Nagian beggar was greater than the king of any other alien race.”

Danteel’s fist slammed onto the table, silencing Shentiri and rattling the dishes. “He seeks to deny me even your friendship!” he roared, eyes blazing. “As if what I was should be a barrier between us, as if he cared. As if he didn’t choose me for my birth, only to watch me fall farther than another would, only to have more pride to break, only to—” Rage closed his throat and he choked on his own anger. Sheczkall! he screamed within his mind. An enslaver far more skilled than I ever gave him credit for.

He forced himself to calm down, to take deep breaths. Even with all his will bent to the task, it took some time until he felt the silver fade from his eyes, until he could breathe normally again. All four women were watching him, their faces masks of fear such as Mattira had often given Moncreif. That though, that world-shattering realization, went twisting through his heart like a blade, turning his skin cold and killing his breath. He only realized that he had been standing when he crashed to his knees, muscles limp as water, shame as hard as ice forming around his heart.

Well played, Moncreif, he thought, as the others slipped silently away, only Tilkim pausing at the doorway to throw him a wary look.

Very well played.




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Twit says...



Did I mention how much I like these two? :D

Oh gaw, there isn't going to be a Lark/Lataar pairing somewhere along the lines here is there??

The word was made of equal parts anger, fear, and shame, the combination of which crashed over him like and emotional typhoon.


And = an


To heal you must touch, she thought, not looking at him.


I had to read the dialogue three times before I got it. Perhaps make it a little less disjointed and more clearer?


Otherwise... Macbeth.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:58 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Lark had discovered his secret weapon—food. His mother, not trusting the campus-provided cuisine, had insisted that he learn to cook before going off to the university, and while he was no gourmet, neither was he incapable.

Lataar was hungry. As she began her second stack of sweet-grain cakes, liberally spread with butter and gobs of cream, Lark began to wonder if her frailty were due to more than hollow bones. Moncreif, he thought bitterly, would certainly have an easier time controlling his slaves if he kept them half starved.

Yes, came the reply, but Lark had learned not to jump at the girl’s voice in his head. He would have liked it better if Danteel had warned him of this, but he’d encountered stranger things. She’d finished the carb-rich meal by now and the hopeful thought came, More?

“You’ve already had seven of those cakes, three standard meat rations drenched in spices, and a bowl of soup. If you’re as malnourished as I think, we can’t risk giving your stomach too much to deal with all at once. You’ll get sick.”

She seemed to consider this for a moment, gazing down at her sticky plate. Tea then?

Lark smiled. He’d have preferred to have his own tea things on hand, and it would have been simple enough to retrieve them from his quarters. But he had a definite aversion to leaving Lataar alone. “We’re almost out,” Lark said, “but I think I can conjure one more pot.”

She smiled at him for the first time ever, and he felt his cheeks flush. You are kind, she told him.

Lark smiled back at her, and decided to take a chance. “I’d like to take a look at your scars,” he said quietly.

She stiffened, and he had a feeling as of a cold wind blowing over warm, wet skin, and the corresponding goosebumps rose on his arms and the back of his neck. Why? The word was made of equal parts anger, fear, and shame, the combination of which crashed over him like and emotional typhoon.

He swallowed, tried to keep his balance. “I think one of them may be infected,” he said, pointing to the one he meant. It was difficult to tell, as he had only the barest working knowledge of her species, but that particular scar was deeper and more ragged, and he thought he could see a tint of red along its edges.

Lataar withdrew the arm in question, her wings coming around to shroud her as they had before. To heal you must touch, she thought, not looking at him.

Lark bit his lip for a moment, thinking how best to respond. “As little as I possibly can manage,” he said.

For a long time she sat there, a motionless ball of white feathers with a head sticking out of the top. At last, still not looking at him, she slid out her arm. Lark had brought a basic medical kit with him, and now placed it on the table. “This,” he told her, holding up a little tube, “is a basic anti-infective cream. It kills most known forms of infection, and will change color as its doing it so I know what kind of infection it is. I’ll need you to rub a little bit all along the scar, making sure to cover the places where it’s red.”

He held out the tube and she took it, unscrewed the top, and followed his instructions. She winced slightly as the pale cream touched her wound, but within a few seconds it was done and she placed the tube back on the table. The two of them watched the cream for awhile, and after about thirty seconds Lark noticed a faint blue tint. He let out a sigh of relief. “That’s good,” he told her. “I won’t bore you with details, but blue’s good, means it’s one we know about and that the cream can treat.” He nudged the tube towards her. “I want you to keep this, and apply it whenever you need to. If the cream ever turns green, let me know when you can, and if it turns yellow, come and see me at once. Blue and purple are all right, though.”

She nodded and picked up the tube. He sat there for a moment, unsure of what to do or say next. Lataar ran her fingers down the inside of her wing as if exploring it, and Lark imagined how soft the feathers must be, how warm. Nothing now, she said. But later.

“What do you mean?”

Later. When I molt. She glanced at him and then extended a wing towards him, the pinions almost brushing his shoulder. A feather in thanks. When I molt.

“A S’kytri feather,” he breathed. He knew little enough of her culture, but everyone knew how valuable a S’kytri feather was—the avian species guarded their molted plumage jealously, apparently believing that anyone who owned one of their feathers would have power of the S’kytri himself. “Thank you.”

She smiled for a second time.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:58 pm
gyrfalcon says...



I love you Twit. And I love your nonsensicality. Nonsensicalness? You, anyway. Thanks a mil--will get to Scavenger's latest chapter asahp.




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:48 pm
Twit says...



Chapter-that-is-the-most-recent-one-and-which-Blackadder-has-nothing-whatsoever-to-do-with:


Danteel walked out of the shuttle, and into something out of his history books.


"The" history books works just as fine and better and Crazy Frog rules!


The courtyard itself was easily fifty-five meters square, probably more, and a tall fountain flowed gracefully in the exact center.


"Flowing" makes me think of a river, not a fountain, and no it isn't Christmas.


And for a single, perfect instant, Danteel’s world was a place of peace and beauty.

And then a door opened at the far end of the courtyard, behind one of the ranks of columns.


Be anything you like, but use a different word either time. Ands are bad.


He was younger than Danteel, and as he came to a halt before his master, he bowed at the waist, and the angle of that bow seemed very definite.


Comma?

When he straightened, the Nagai saw that his eyes were dark red with white pupils.


Coooew



The feathered woman stepped forward. She was dressed in a gown of plumage similar to her own, and so it was difficult to tell where the garment ended and she began. She bowed much lower than the man, and said in soft, purring tones, “Moncreif. It has been far too long.”


She purrs, but she's a bird. Cool. Potato?


Chaya again fell silent, and it was the silence of someone considering their next words very carefully. “I have had the chance.”


Oh, gaw. She doesn't, does she? Pants in spades.


He could feel his eyes begin to blaze and fought to keep control.


No, no Jar-Jar. Blast it into tiny pieces and into oblivion, like a thousand pumpkins in the pumpkin patch.


She slapped him.


Remind me to add Danteel to the official list of heros given the female slap.


-

Ooooh, boogieboogieboogie. Plot moves, plot grooves, cool snake and but however watch out for Danny-boy's eyes.




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:30 pm
Twit wrote a review...



Sorry it's taken so long. Doing this as -- wait, I missed another chapter? Coolummy, sorry.

Er, chapter-before-the-most-recent-one...

“He is with me,” replied Moncreif before the ensign could say anything. “My slave, you see?” He gestured to the collar.

“My madman, you see?” echoed Danteel in Nagian, mimicking the captain’s careless gesture.


:lol: :lol:


But every time the captain spoke in his language, every time Danteel answered, every single time he moved even a few steps they faltered, lost the initiative.


Take out the bit in bold. It's kinda naughty to start a sentence with "but."


“Uhuh.” They were in the shuttle by now, the pilot beginning the preflight sequence. “So,” he asked while they strapped themselves in, “what is going to happen to Lark now?”


"Uh huh" seems rather colloquial for Danteel.


Her wings were still wrapped around her where she sat on the floor, shrouding everything beneath her neck in soft white.


I like Lataar.


-

And! Splitting this into two, one for each to keep it simple and because I'm awful that way. (By the way, I just nearly had a heart attack.)

Good chapter and all, why don't you bug me more?




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:59 am
gyrfalcon says...



Danteel walked out of the shuttle, and into something out of his history books. It wasn’t a house. The closest word he could find, at least in Basic, was estate. The craft had landed in the middle of an expansive courtyard, full of lush grass, small but stately trees, and stepping-stone paths. The four enclosing sides were formed by smooth, red marble columns, and the walls and entrances to the building proper were a good three meters beyond them. The courtyard itself was easily fifty-five meters square, probably more, and a tall fountain flowed gracefully in the exact center. Taken all for all, it was almost an exact replica of the main quadrangle in the original Nagian palace, or at least a replica of what descriptions had survived.

He turned to Moncreif, who was just disembarking, and could not keep the awe from his face. “This,” he said, “this is incredible.”

The captain grinned, took in a deep breath, and for the first time since he’d met the man, Danteel saw him do something like relax. And for a single, perfect instant, Danteel’s world was a place of peace and beauty.

And then a door opened at the far end of the courtyard, behind one of the ranks of columns. It didn’t do so automatically, Danteel saw; it was the traditional form of sliding door, made of thick paper or fabric stretched across a wood frame and set in guide rails. The kind his race had invented so many centuries ago. The man who had opened it stepped through, and as the gentle sun glinted off his golden collar Danteel’s contentment vanished. At a distance, the slave looked fairly human, but as he approached Danteel saw the subtle pattern of visible veins beneath his skin, most prominent at his temples and throat. He was younger than Danteel, and as he came to a halt before his master he bowed at the waist, and the angle of that bow seemed very definite. When he straightened, the Nagai saw that his eyes were dark red with white pupils.

“Master,” he said, his voice unexpectedly deep and harsh. “We were beginning to worry about you.” As he spoke, five more figures emerged from the doorway he had left open, and somehow Danteel had expected them: five very beautiful women, each a different species from the others, each collared. He had known, in a way. Mattira hadn’t been the first, and her nearly endless stream of replacements had come from somewhere. From here. He wasn’t sure why the rage didn’t swell in him at the sight of them. Perhaps it was their silent beauty in this place of mythos; perhaps it was that he had finally grown numb to it.

One of them, obviously the newest with green, gold, and blue feathers rather than bare skin, smiled at Moncreif, and finally Danteel’s heart did twist. It was a genuine smile; she was truly glad to see him. Quickly, almost desperately he searched the remaining four faces. One, smooth like midnight blue marble, was impassive, but in the other three he saw the combination of restrained fear he was so familiar with. For some strange reason, this comforted him.

The feathered woman stepped forward. She was dressed in a gown of plumage similar to her own, and so it was difficult to tell where the garment ended and she began. She bowed much lower than the man, and said in soft, purring tones, “Moncreif. It has been far too long.”

“Yellesha,” he returned, and Danteel was surprised to hear how cold his tone was. Then he turned to the smallest of the women, probably the oldest, though through her short, cream-colored fur it was difficult to tell, and his smile seemed to tell the world that here was his favorite. “Chaya,” he said, the word part greeting, part command.

She stepped forward, only barely inclining her head as if she knew her status and was secure in it. “Master,” she replied, her face—what Danteel could read of it—expressionless.

Moncreif called the rest of them by name, and each gave a bow of different depth, reflecting their current position. Just, thought Danteel, as they once did in the royal Nagian court. He watched this simple ceremony with a strange feeling of detachment, as if he were an invisible observer. But once it was done, Moncreif turned to the young man who had first met them and said, “This is Danteel. Take him to quarters and let him refresh himself, we’ve had a long flight. He will dine with us this evening.”

The other slave nodded an almost-bow to Danteel, gestured in the direction he had come from, and began to lead the way. “What is your name?” the Nagai asked as he followed his guide through the door and into the softly-lit interior of the house.

“The master calls me Ret. It is the first letter in my people’s alphabet, and I am first in this place when he is not here.” It was clear that the man’s original language had not been Basic, and from the difficult way he spoke, Danteel suspected his species’ vocal cords were not designed for such a tongue.

“How long have you been here?” The house was larger even than it had looked from the air, but as he saw no staircases Danteel assumed it must be only a single story, again in the old Nagian style. He wondered if there was a roof garden.

“Many cycles,” said Ret.

It was on the tip of Danteel’s tongue to ask how long a cycle was, but Ret did not seem inclined to indulge him just now, and at that moment they arrived at their destination. A black door slid open to reveal a simple but comfortable room. The walls were of the same pale, sturdy wood as the rest of the house and there was a well-padded futon in one corner. Danteel couldn’t remember the last time he’d slept on anything besides an uncomfortable bunk. There was also a low desk with a cushion to kneel upon and a small but full bookcase next to it. Full, he realized, of true pages-and-binding books. Danteel went over and examined them, running his fingers over the paper. They were all in his language, and contained the basic histories of his people. Every cover was plain; no title or author was given for any of them and Danteel wondered if they were Moncreif’s own observations and summaries.

He looked up to thank Ret, and found the man gone, the door still open. He stood, strode over, and closed it. There was trunk in the corner opposite his bed, and in this he found several changes of clothes—all white—and a pair of simple indoor sandals. The wall opposite the door held a shallow sink, designed to look like an old-fashioned porcelain basin, set just below a high window. This looked out, not into the courtyard, but over an uncultivated lawn with a pine forest beyond it. He knew, from his observations during the shuttle’s decent, that there were no other habitations for kilometers around Moncreif’s estate, and wondered how an officer of the Realm, even a captain as famous as his master was supposed to be, could afford all this.

There was no proper bathroom connected to his quarters, and so he assumed there would be a communal one somewhere nearby. Without knowing its location, though, he had to make do with washing his face and hands in the sink and running a comb—yet another of the trunk’s contents—through his hair. It hadn’t been cut in some time and now hung down almost to his shoulders. Once or twice he’d considered asking Moncreif if Gassil might give him a trim, but his loathing to ask his master for anything had overridden the slight inconvenience that came with long hair.

There was a light tapping at his door and Danteel turned as he said, “Come in.”

The furred woman, Chaya, opened the door. Her face was every bit as expressionless now as it had been in the courtyard, but her dark eyes were bright and missed nothing. “May I enter?”

“Of course.” Danteel gestured towards the lid of the trunk. “Please, sit down.”

Chaya did so, looking him up and down. “A Nagai,” she said. “We’d heard, of course. I never thought he’d manage to find one of you.”

Danteel shrugged. There were no chairs in the room, so he stood next to the sink, his hair still slightly wet. “He’s a very determined man.”

She looked at him silently for a long time. Then, “He is. Are you?”

“I have to be.”

She nodded. “You will kill him then?”

Her bluntness took Danteel off guard—had Moncreif sent her? But the captain already knew that Danteel wanted to kill him. What did he have to gain by such a charade? Still, best to be cautious. “Wouldn’t you if you had the chance?”

Chaya again fell silent, and it was the silence of someone considering their next words very carefully. “I have had the chance.”

“And since both of you are still alive, I’m assuming you didn’t take it.” That might explain why she was Moncreif’s favorite, at any rate. Before Chaya could respond, Danteel crossed his arms and said, “What is it you want, my lady? I do not mean to be rude, and while I enjoy such verbal dancing, I do not enjoy being unsure of my opponent’s motives.”

Again, she nodded. “We have something in common.”

Her meaning left him—only momentarily—speechless. “You suspect me? You think that I’m in league with him! You think I’d spy on his own slaves for him, that I’m his creature?” He could feel his eyes begin to blaze and fought to keep control. “I serve that man only so long and so far as honor demands. As soon as I find an honorable way to free myself from his hold on me, his life ends. He knows that, and if you think to curry favor with your master by giving him information he already has, then you are a fool.”

She slapped him.

Danteel stood there, dazed, for a moment. She was standing now, almost as tall as he was, and now finally she had an expression—a scowl. He touched his stinging cheek, and smiled. “I think we understand each other.”

Chaya crossed her arms. “I should hope so. I would hate to have to slap you again. Did you know that your eyes do something strange when you’re angry?”

He nodded. “Why didn’t you take it?”

“Take what?”

“You said you had the chance to kill him once.”

Chaya looked away from him, her mouth set in a line. “I did. That is what I have come to tell you about.”

Danteel held out his hands. “Well?”

She shook her head. “Supper will be served soon, and my next few nights are his. I will come to you when it is safe; do not seek me out.”

“I understand.”

She straightened her shoulders and turned to leave.

“Chaya,” he said. She glanced back at him. “I’m glad that we’re on the same side.”

With a nod, she left.




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:52 pm
Swires says...



Hi gyr.

The first scene - It is very well written as always but if it was to be removed would it really matter? It doesn't seem to add anything which we don't already know. Apart from maybe Moncreif's status on Locus Nova.... I don't know, maybe its just me but it didn't seem majorly relevant.

“No, of course not. I’m not wasting any more of my leave than I already have.”

No need for the "thank I already have."

Scene 2 - Wonderful, great ending - leaves us wanting reading more. You are developing a fresh relationship with fresh characters which adds to the overall momentum of the story, keeping it fresh and neat.

I don't understand why more people aren't reviewing this...




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:26 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Danteel looked through the shuttle viewport as the mottled blues, greens, and whites of Locus Nova grew steadily closer and clearer. He glanced across the small cabin to Moncreif, who sat ramrod straight, eyes closed, fingers laced loosely together. The Nagai still had no real idea why the captain had chosen to take him down to the surface with him; from past experience he knew he would not be welcome on this human-infested rock. But at least Lataar wasn’t alone. Lark had promised to check up on her as often as he could, and the two seemed to get along well. The Avarice was stationed in orbit over the world; they were here for their twice-yearly maintenance and three-week leave before the next tour. Moncreif always spent those full three weeks away from the great ship, leaving his crew and slaves to their own devices, which made the time Danteel’s vacation as well. Until now.

He sat as the shuttle began to shudder with reentry, and glared across at his master. If Moncreif thought he could have his holiday and Danteel at the same time, he was going to be sorely disappointed. “Where are we going?” he asked for perhaps the twentieth time. And for the twentieth time, as the shuttle bumped gently with the landing impact, Moncreif merely smiled a thin little smile and did not answer.

It was only as Danteel strode down the ramp behind Moncreif that he realized where they were. “Naval Command?” he demanded as Moncreif stepped into the turbolift at the far end of the landing pad. Danteel hurried to catch up. “You have brought me,” he hissed as the doors slid closed and the lift began to move, “to Naval Command. Moncreif, if they see a Nagai walking around here without ten kinds of chains wrapping me up, you’ll be down one slave.”

“Not if you’re with me,” the captain replied calmly.

“What, you’ve invented an energy shield that can stop laser blasts?”

The slap snapped his head around and sent him slamming into the metal wall of the lift. Moncreif’s voice was as level as ever. “When will you learn to stop doubting me, Danteel?”

The door slid open and the captain stepped out. Danteel followed. The corridors might have been the template for Avarice’s own; they were slightly larger, but gleamed with the same polished steel and were every bit as windowless. Busy-looking men in uniforms and work-a-day suits filled every available space, rushing back and forth and, at first, flowing around captain and Nagai like water around two standing stones. But it didn’t take long for people to notice the non-human in their midst, and before Moncreif had taken them five paces a large hand fastened around Danteel’s arm, pulling him to a halt. “What are you doing here?” demanded the muscled officer on the other end of the grip.

Danteel wrenched his arm away in a quick movement that the man clearly had not expected. His whole face frowned and he pulled a small sidearm from its holster. “Is there a problem, ensign?” asked Moncreif, stepping up next to his slave.

The man glanced from the captain’s rank cylinders to the golden collar around Danteel’s neck, and relaxed. “You must be Captain Moncreif,” he said.

Danteel’s master nodded.

Then, to the Nagai’s complete surprise, the ensign stuck out a massive hand and grinned like a schoolboy. “Honor to meet you, sir,” he said. “The others’ll never believe I’ve really done this, but it would be a great privilege if you would shake my hand.”

Smiling thinly, Moncreif did so. “Now, ensign,” he said, “the Command council is expecting me.”

“Of course, sir,” said the ensign, all-but-glowing with pride. For a moment his eyes flicked to Danteel in a quick frown, but without another word he turned and began to escort them along.

“What did I tell you,” said Moncreif, obviously pleased with himself.

Danteel said nothing. Moncreif had sworn not to beat him in public, but the Nagai did not wish to test that promise in front of the captain’s fellow officers. And anything he said now would warrant the whip. The Command council must have been located at the farthest side of the building, for it took many long hallways and lift rides before they arrived. The ensign led them through a sliding door identical to every other and into a modest waiting room. He went to the desk, where a dark-skinned young man in plainclothes sat operating a computer. “Captain Moncreif, to see the council,” said the ensign.

The secretary glanced at the captain, then to Danteel, and his eyes narrowed. “What about that thing?”

“He is with me,” replied Moncreif before the ensign could say anything. “My slave, you see?” He gestured to the collar.

“My madman, you see?” echoed Danteel in Nagian, mimicking the captain’s careless gesture.

Moncreif’s smile went abruptly tight, and Danteel could see his hand move to the place where his whip was customarily fastened. But not today. Now it was a distinguished officer’s sabre there, and it was obvious neither man had understood the Nagai. “You will pay for that,” whispered Moncreif as the secretary spoke to someone over a private comm.

“It can’t be much worse than this,” Danteel replied as the secretary looked up.

“You can go in now,” he said, studiously not looking at Danteel.

The captain’s smile returned; he motioned towards the inner sliding door. “After you.

“You must be joking; I’ll be dead before I can take a second step.”


“Then at least you’ll be free,” said Moncreif in Basic, and shoved him towards the door which, true to its function, slid open to admit him.

Danteel stumbled into a rather smaller room than he had expected, but the expressions of surprise, fear, disgust, and outrage that filled the seven faces which had watched his ungainly entrance were exactly what he had imagined. He ground his teeth, regained his balance, and straightened, not moving a fraction as Moncreif entered behind him and forcing the captain to navigate around him. “That was a cheap trick,” he said as Moncreif confidently took his seat before the still-stunned council. “The effect won’t last.”

“How many times must I educate you in the failings of humanity?
Gentlemen,” this last word was in Basic and to the seven much higher ranking men arrayed before him. “Thank you for seeing me on such short notice.”

Uncertainly, they sat, one after the other, each flicking unsure or irate glances at the Nagai. “The Hero of Tildalan is always welcome here, captain,” said one of them, an older man. Five of them wore admiral rank cylinders on their left shoulders, and two were very well-dressed in civilian suits.

One of the non-military men sneered with disgust as he glared at Danteel. “This is highly unusual, Moncreif; why did you bring this curiosity with you?”

Moncreif shrugged fluidly. “You seem to think you can send anyone you like into my domain; I’m simply returning the favor. And,” he added, lapsing into Nagian, “his presence makes you more nervous than if I’d brought a legion of the Avarice’s soldiers.”

It shouldn’t have worked. After the first few times Moncreif used Danteel to throw the council off, they should have gotten used to it and learned to ignore the Nagai altogether. But every time the captain spoke in his language, every time Danteel answered, every single time he moved even a few steps they faltered, lost the initiative. Moncreif commanded the conversation as skillfully as he did his ship, but his simple tactics should not have worked against some of the most powerful men in the Realm.

Finally, as the conversation began to wind down and the council became full of “of course” and “we shall look into it,” Danteel understood. To get where they were now, these seven men had to be not only the most skilled members of their profession, but also those most dedicated to the official Realm worldview. They saw Danteel—as they had been trained to see any alien—as barely sentient, beneath them, a mindless tool fit only for use as a servant of humanity. And here Moncreif—their ‘hero’—was conversing with one in his own language and allowing him, what seemed to them, incredible liberties. “You may hate me, Danteel, but at least I can see what you really are,” Moncreif had said. It both surprised and frightened Danteel exactly how true that was. This man did not keep alien slaves because he thought humans superior. He kept slaves because he knew exactly how intelligent they were, because he was superior, not his race but he alone.

And now he was using Danteel to get rid of Lark. They were just in the middle of the closing pleasantries when the Nagai said, unbidden, “You’ve made your point to them. Now what do I have to do to make sure Lark stays?”

Moncreif smiled and laughed softly as if Danteel had made a joke: obviously what he wanted the council to think. “You’ve already spared his life against my wishes,” he said, standing. “Gentlemen, thank you for your time. I’m sure I can count on you.”

Danteel followed him out of the conference room and back into the turbolift. “What happens to him now?” he demanded as soon as the doors shut.

Moncreif slid two fingers under the Nagai’s collar, effectively denying him all but the smallest quantity of air. Danteel did not struggle; he stood very still, his eyes fixed firmly on his master’s face, and tried to take very, very shallow breaths. “I am wondering what give you the presumption to think you can question my decisions like this,” Moncreif said conversationally, digging his knuckles into Danteel’s throat.

There were any number of things the Nagai wanted to say in reply, but his breaths were audibly raspy now, and little black dots began to dance at the edge of his vision. Moncreif’s harsh eyes bore into him as Danteel kept his body motionless and fought not to black out. “You don’t struggle,” the captain said as the lift came to a smooth halt, the doors sliding open to reveal yet another throng of hurrying men. Moncreif seemed not to notice. “A few years ago you would be trying to claw my eyes out by now.”

Perhaps it’s the imminent unconsciousness
, Danteel wanted to say. There was practically no air getting through now, and the black dots had become thick black clouds welling up in the corners of his eyes and flitting across his sight.

Abruptly the pressure on his throat was gone. He prided himself that he neither fell nor stumbled back against the wall, but only took a few steadying steps to regain his balance. This done, he realized that Moncreif was already out of the turbolift and striding down the corridor towards the…door they’d come in by.

Danteel caught up as gracefully as he could. “What’s this!” he said, choosing for the moment to not bring up the near-strangulation. “It took forever for that ensign to take us this far.”

“He wanted to show me off,”
said Moncreif as they stepped out onto the landing pad. “So he took the long way around.”

Danteel thought for a moment. “So I take it his military career is effectively over?”

“No, I think it’s just going to freeze. I have a delightful vision of promotion boards laughing at him.”

“Uhuh.”
They were in the shuttle by now, the pilot beginning the preflight sequence. “So,” he asked while they strapped themselves in, “what is going to happen to Lark now?”

Moncreif did not answer at first, but gazed out of the viewport above Danteel’s head as the shuttle lifted off. “You practically left Lataar with him,” he said at last.

Danteel nodded silently.

“We’ll have to see how that turns out when we return,” the captain said after another long pause.

It was only then that Danteel realized they weren’t heading for space and the Avarice. “We’re not going back now?”

“No, of course not. I’m not wasting any more of my leave than I already have.”

Danteel glanced out the viewport. They were gliding along well above the clouds, and he could see the gentle curve of Locus Nova if not its continents. “Where are we going, then?”

Moncreif leaned back and closed his eyes, a look of beatific anticipation smoothing the lines around his eyes and mouth. “Home.”

* * *

Danteel never told me how I gained his trust. Not that I didn’t ask him and often, but he would only ever give that enigmatic smile of his and say, if he said anything, “Because you were different.” It was different with Lataar. I’m sure that without Danteel’s vote of confidence, my attempts would have been useless from the start, but for the first several hours of our acquaintance she wouldn’t even look at me. Of course, that didn’t stop me from talking her ears off. Mostly—for I am a man—I spoke of myself.

“Of course, it was mostly my father’s name that got me into the university—he’d practically saved the admiral’s life after all—but I don’t think it would be bragging to say I acquitted myself rather well.” Lark made tea as he spoke, finding everything exactly where Danteel had told him. He still wasn’t entirely sure that the captain was all right with the doctor’s presence here in his private quarters, but Danteel had assured him that Moncreif wouldn’t mind. And then he had said something under his breath in Nagian, in such a way that Lark was sure Moncreif’s ignorance of the fact was the only thing keeping it ‘all right.’

As the doctor turned around, a standard-issue teacup in each hand, he found Lataar looking at him. Lark froze, uncertain how to respond to this new development. She blinked once, very slowly. Her wings were still wrapped around her where she sat on the floor, shrouding everything beneath her neck in soft white. She had been in that position when Danteel had left, and had not, as far as Lark knew, moved from it since.

“Hello,” he said. Abruptly, he remembered the tea in his hands, and wondered if he should risk trying to give her one of the cups. The one thing guaranteed to elicit a reaction from her was to step within a meter and a half of her position. He still wasn’t entirely sure how she reacted, but when she did he would find himself on the other side of the room with a deep desire to go away.

She did not reply, but neither did she break eye contact. He took a single cautious step forward, holding the steaming cup before him as both peace offering and shield. There was a sound like the fluttering of moth wings next to his ear, or at least…the idea of such a sound. Tea. The single word whispered through his mind, and though faint it was more command than request. He proffered the cup, still very gingerly. One wing rustled aside and a slim, pale green arm emerged, reaching out towards him. An arm patterned with long scars that stretched from her wrist back into the wing-covered darkness. Her fingers slid under the bottom of the cup, being careful not to touch his, and he released his grip with equal care.

In the same instant that she took it from him, she saw him looking at her scars.

He abruptly discovered that he was facing the far wall and devoid of tea. “Um,” he said. The burning desire to leave suddenly subsided, and he slowly turned. Lataar was curled up on one of the chairs, her wings resting loosely on her back, sipping the tea. It wasn’t so much that she was small as that she seemed built to a different scale. Her limbs were thin and looked very frail, especially in contrasted to the size of her white wings. She glanced up at him, and Lark would have sworn he heard the word hello in his mind.


. . .


I did promise something longer. ;) And Phorcys, you are wonderful--your crit is already integrated!




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Swires wrote a review...



Hi Gyrfalcon, I too am suffering from a lack of critiques and It demoralises me because I start to doubt my work. Anyway.

Yes, another fine instalment yet so many things happened in one of your shorter sections. But I think the pace of the piece was fine considering you have established more than enough of the Danteel/Moncreif relationship.

The return of Erabon is interesting, I was wondering when he would pop-up again. It will be very good to see how the plot pans out from here.

Moncreif's chuckle - this seemed out of place with his character and borderline "evil villain stereotype" (which thus far you have fruitfully avoided). I think it may be more interesting to simply remove this and leave his actions up to the audience to work out. Or, include a gesture that shows your authorial intent that isn't involving the almost-cliché of laughter.

The last two lines annoy me:

Had every right to take as many human lives as it took before he repaid his debt to that race.

“Fine,” Moncreif bit out. “We shall see how righteous he is.”



The first sentence is messy, you have changed english to suit your dramatic needs, which is fine but it makes the sentence less easy to read (again something you usually have no problem with). I think the confusion could be cleared with placing the pronoun at the start of this sentence: "He had every right to kill as many men it took before he repaid his debt to humanity." (Maybe better - I don't know, experiment).

The last line - "Bit out", a tad iffy, not sure if it works. "We shall..." Why is Moncreif, the captain who has just instated his authority with an iron fist, using the collective pronoun "we"? I'm not sure if this as personal thing a get from the text, it may speak to others differently.

You have something great here, In Thrall is still my favourite piece of work on YWS. Its like Asimov's Foundation with better characters, better plot and personal explorations. Wonderful.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:36 pm
gyrfalcon says...



...um, I realize bumping one's threads is bad form, but is no one going to take a look? I'd feel a total dork posting the next bit before this has accumulated some comment(s).




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:27 pm
gyrfalcon says...



“You let him live.”

Danteel hadn’t even heard Moncreif enter the suite, but his master’s voice came from directly behind him. He did not rise from where he was kneeling, painstakingly scrubbing the shower floor and trying not to let the disinfectant solution touch his raw wrists. “I did,” he replied. Moncreif’s crew were loyal and quick, Danteel would give them that. He had only just left the new doctor at his quarters.

Moncreif stepped closer, so near that Danteel wouldn’t be able to rise without pushing him aside. “I told you to take care of him.”

The Nagai clenched his teeth. “Your exact words were ‘The usual arrangement.’ You left the choice to me.”

The whip sliced suddenly across his back, through his shirt, biting deep into his skin. He cried out in shock and fell forward, his flailing hands catching the bucket of cleanser and sending it splashing all over him. He ground his teeth against a scream as the evil liquid woke fire in his back and wrists, drenching his wounds and making their pain fresh once more. He flinched instinctively as he heard the whish of the whip above him. Danteel risked a glance; his master had coiled the weapon in one smooth movement and re-attached it to his belt. Now he crouched, bringing himself down to Danteel’s level as he often did after a flogging, to speak quietly and reasonably and explain things to him. The Nagai bared his teeth in a feral snarl but stayed motionless.

“Haven’t you learned by now,” said Moncreif conversationally, “what we humans are? I would have thought Kima was the last piece of that little puzzle for you; apparently not.” His hand flashed out, long, strong fingers gripping Danteel’s hair and pulling, forcing the Nagai’s head up to look him straight in the eye. Danteel did not cry out. He met the captain’s gaze squarely, ignoring the pain in his scalp, in his back, in his pride.

“Lark Erabon is no threat to you,” Danteel said evenly.

“That doesn’t matter. The Avarice is my ship: I choose who sails aboard her and no one else. I have handpicked every member of this crew, right down to you, Danteel, and now Command thinks they can just lumber me with any half-trained nezlek they like?”

“And so you thought sending them a corpse was the right message?”

Moncreif released him with a snort of disgust. Danteel was ready for it; he braced himself against the tiles and managed to avoid another dunking. The captain paced to the bathroom door and back, and looked down at Danteel with his hands hanging loosely at his sides. The left one right next to his whip. “So you think this one’s different? That you’ve finally found a righteous man?”

Danteel did not reply. Lark Erabon had been the first human in many years who’d looked at him with anything but disgust, fear, or superiority. Oh, he’d been afraid, there in the conference room, but he’d met Danteel’s gaze. And he had asked “why” when his life was spared. As if he knew Danteel had every right to take it if he wished.

“Fine,” Moncreif snarled. “We shall see how righteous he is.”



- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I promise a longer one next time!




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:29 pm
JabberHut wrote a review...



Gyr! Yay, something to review by you! And it’s quite the long one, so my critique shall be just as long. :twisted:

The meeting was already underway, of course, and as he took his seat, the captain regarded him coolly.


If you are to be my new medical officer. [comma instead] I expect you to have better sense than to waste my time.”


“Since you are so fascinated with my slave, perhaps you would like him to help you [s]to[/s] move your luggage into your quarters.”


Repetition of to had to be fixed. :lol:

His hard eyes evaluated the human with all the warmth of an [s]artic[/s] arctic winter.


There were sidelocks of silver in the black hair, but beyond that, hardly any signs of age.


I do believe that should be two words. :)

Only for the insane members of my kind[/] Lark thought. He started to protest, to defend the several decent humans he knew, but stopped. He swallowed. “Why didn’t you kill me? I’m sure you could have.”


Lol, you screwed up the italics here. Just to point that out. :wink:

Deep from the infinite depths of Danteel’s eyes blazed [s]a mad[/s], silver light.


A mad light? Mad also means crazy, so I think it’s out of place anyway. Try angry. :wink:

With some difficulty, Lark [s]again[/s] found his voice again.


I think, where you had it, it would require commas. :?

“I do owe you, but--.”


Hah, your dash didn’t work, dear. ^^ I do owe you, but—” And no period at the end of it. :D

Good.” With that, he turned and left Lark alone in his room.


The light was better here, but just barely. But what Lark saw in the dim light almost made him throw up.


If we could adjust that repetition so it don’t exist, that would be wonderful. ^^

.” The hand holding the whip flexed again, and for a moment--just a moment--Lark allowed himself to imagine the pain of just a single blow from such a weapon in the hand of one who knew how to use it.


I don’t know why the dashes aren’t working. That’s just weird. :? The hand holding the whip flexed again, and for a moment—just a moment—Lark allowed himself to imagine the pain of just a single blow from such a weapon in the hand of one who knew how to use it.

. “I’m a doctor,” he could have said, “I don’t need an excuse to help people.”


The italics alone will probably work here. :)

Ooh, this is too exciting! You’re amazing! *continues onward*

His eyes were the stuff of nightmares.


Stuff? For lack of a better word? :lol:

as Nagai culture dictates that one [s]who’s[/s] whose life has been saved must serve the one who saved it.”


“Therefore, you do me no service by saving it.”


“’I, who hold your life in hand…


Watch the quotations. The first single quote mark is backwards. :wink:

“’You, who hold my life in hand, who still allow my breath to flow, who still allow my heart to beat—‘” [s]he[/s] He clamped his mouth around the words, and would not let them leave his lips.


Your single quote marks are both backwards. :wink:

*squeals* Wonderful so far! *scrolls down to next section*

. The soldiers’ gloved hands were tight on his thin arms, and he knew there would be bruises.


I thought they weren’t soldiers. Didn’t you say they were also slaves?

A man looked up as they entered, an old man, [no comma] bent with age, and beset by so many wrinkles that it was hard to determine his species.


The captain [s]seemed to be[/s] was getting impatient. “Yes, yes, bring it out. Now’s as good a time as ever.”


It’s obvious that he’s impatient with his dialogue a word or two later. :wink:

And then there was a hot, searing pain at the back of his neck and he screamed as much from surprise as anything.


That’s kind of a lame transition, if you don’t mind my saying. I’d replace it or just delete it. :)

“Hold him still,” said Moncreif as Danteel began to thrash again, [period instead] “[s]give[/s] Give it a moment to cool.”


To Danteel, that moment took only a few seconds…


His hands wrenched at the collar and he nearly strangled himself, and the heat from the welded place still burned the back of his neck


His hands wrenched at the collar and he nearly strangled himself, the heat from the welded spot burning the back of his neck.

When his wrists slammed, his head slammed, [no comma] too, and it took Danteel a moment to realize that it was Moncreif who was holding him.


There was a horrible, weak instinct to cry, to weep, but he didn’t.


*squeals again* *continues to next part*

The Nagai could still feel the burn from having the ends of the collar welded together, but he ignored it. [comma instead] As he was learning to ignore so many things these days.


And again, everything within him roared at the word, screaming Kill, kill, kill the sheczkall, the enslaver.


Honor-bound, he told them, [period instead] I am honor-bound.


I’m gonna stop here, give you the critique for the first page out of seven. Lol, I gotta get reading/critting on this, but I have to leave for something. I’m in love with this story, though. You’re an amazing writer. I can see this getting published (and me being the first one to buy it :lol:).

Keep writing! More crits coming soon! :wink:

Jabber, the One and Only!




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:48 pm
Twit wrote a review...



*blinkblink* I missed this part? I didn't read it?


The pain had subsided to a dull, manageable throb, and he knelt very still, not moving so much as a muscle as the new wounds closed.


Knelt = kept, perhaps?

The other bit is awkward, consider revising.


Surely Moncreif had not remembered some other offense that couldn’t wait until morning?


You could leave this as it is, but for perfection, I'd change it, as it's a touch choppy.


“And he’s covered in blood and sweat; he smells like a corpse that’s just run a marathon.”


:lol: 8)


“Please, captain,” said Kima in a ‘let’s be reasonable’ voice.


This is probably PP, but you could change that. Anyway, put a comma after "Kima", I think.


---

Very good, sorry I missed it, and I really like the ending. Danteel's dialogue and Kima's reactions first had me amused, then frowning at the finis.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:55 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Note to the world: I'm back on this story! I've been going through and editing some of my older posts, so if old fans (or new ones) would like to take a look I'd be delighted. Also, I plan on having a new "episode" before long. In Thrall is coming back, ladies and gentlemen!




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:13 pm
gyrfalcon says...



It had only been six quick lashes. Danteel, on his knees and leaning against the wall, couldn’t even remember what they had been for this time. The pain had subsided to a dull, manageable throb, and he knelt very still, not moving so much as a muscle as the new wounds closed. When he could stir without sending lances of fire across his back, he would clean up first the little room, then himself, then try to salvage what vestiges of sleep this night could afford. Lataar was asleep; Danteel had been very careful to shut her out during his beating, and as she dared not touch Moncreif’s mind she had gone to bed none the wiser. Which was good. If she’d known, she would be up right now and here, worrying and losing sleep in her attempts to heal him, which only ever half-worked under the best of circumstances.

Danteel tried very hard not to flinch when the door slid open behind him. Surely Moncreif had not remembered some other offense that couldn’t wait until morning? But it was a woman’s voice he heard, a sharp intake of breath and the words, “By the homeworld, captain, what is this?”

“Danteel, my Nagai slave,” came the captain’s bored voice. “I should like you to treat him.”

“This is not a part of my job description,” the woman hissed. “And he’s covered in blood and sweat; he smells like a corpse that’s just run a marathon.”

“Your position as my latest ship’s doctor is to care for the medical needs of the Avarice’s crew, yes?”

“You’re telling me this piece of bone-white flesh is a part of your crew?” she demanded.

He laughed, oh so softly. “Only in the broadest possible definition of the word, Lieutenant Kima. Nevertheless, you will treat him.”

The lieutenant snorted. “I begin to see how you’ve had so much trouble keeping a doctor these past few months. Do you subject them all to this unprofessional aftertime?”

Danteel swallowed. This woman was, in fact, the first of her profession Moncreif had ever brought into this little room. The captain’s stream of excuses for dismissing the doctors Realm Command sent him must have started to get thin, if he was using this as a way to drive them out. “I thought we had a deal,” he whispered in Nagian. “Regarding certain things that were to be done in private.”

Lieutenant Kima noise halfway between surprise and disgust. “Is that what passes for a language with it?”

“The flogging is done, Danteel. I merely brought the good doctor around to make sure she knows who she’s dealing with.”

“Does it not even understand Basic?” sneered Kima. “It’s degrading that a decent human being should have to stoop so low as to converse in another tongue with an alien.”

Danteel chuckled, then stopped when it aggravated the pain. “Somehow, I think she missed the point, Moncreif.”

“Please, captain,” said Kima in a ‘let’s be reasonable’ voice. “Tell me this is a joke. You can hardly expect me to work under these conditions. If you insist on having it treated, at least let it be brought to my med bay.”

“He does not bite,” said Moncreif, as if he hadn’t heard her. “And even if he did, he would not be inclined to do so in this situation. I request this as a personal favor, lieutenant, I would prefer not to make it an order.”

For a moment Kima was silent. Then, “Fine. But I swear if this gets out I’ll be the laughingstock of the field.”

She approached him slowly, her heeled shoes clicking on the bare floor. Finally she crouched down to his right, and he got his first look at the captain’s newest doctor. She had apparently been working late: her black hair was pulled into a severe bun that she probably wouldn’t have redone if summoned after letting it out, and her almond-shaped eyes had the bloodshot look of one who knew more late nights than early ones. She set her case down between them, as if it were a shield, and opened it while eyeing him warily.

“Hello,” he whispered gently.

She litterally jumped at the word, startling backwards so that she lost her balance and landed rather comically on her backside. Moncreif snorted a laugh, “A fierce one, isn’t he?”

“I’m sorry he’s gotten you involved in this,” said Danteel, ignoring his master.

Kima struggled to her feet, shaking. “What is this, captain, some kind of sick joke?” she demanded. “Did you train him like a parrot, just for a few laughs at my expense?”

Danteel blinked. “I didn’t mean to frighten—”

She kicked him. One black, high-heeled shoe lashed out and caught him on the temple. He fell, more from shock than anything else. Moncreif was laughing now, deep, horrible laughs as Kima screeched and fled the room as if demon-pursued. “When will you learn, Danteel?” he asked once she was gone. “You thought just because she was a woman that she’d treat you like anything other than an animal? You may hate me, Danteel, but at least I can see what you really are. Something even you aren’t all that good at, I might add.”

As Danteel tried to lever himself back to a sitting position, as he felt the blood begin to trickle from the lashes once more and knew the bruise was forming next to his eye, the captain left, still laughing.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:14 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Ah! I didn't even think of that. The problem is, my darling twit, that I wrote this scene ages before I wrote the others, before Danteel's no-screaming policy had been established. Your insights and comments have been a huge help, I shall implement them forthwith! *gives hot cocoa and Christmas cookie*


Edit: Integrated!




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:10 pm
Twit wrote a review...



Short.

But sweet. ^_^

The lieutenant roared in rage and slashed out, the tip of his blade cutting across the Nagai’s face and biting deep into his flesh. Danteel cried out in pain and grabbed at his mouth to staunch the flow of blood. The lieutenant’s blade caught him again, this time on the back. Danteel screamed, spattering blood across the floor. The weapon had cut across dozens of existing wounds, opening up already sore and tender flesh. He went down, landing hard on his knees but still holding his weapon.


This bit... Well, it's good, nothing wrong with it, but Danteel cries out in pain a lot. Normally he doesn't yell or scream; in the other "pain scenes" he manages to hide it pretty well and when he screams here, it came as a big surprise. Yes, I know it must have been agonizing to have it on back, but still... *shrugs*



He felt the tip of the lieutenant’s rapier rest gently on the nape of his neck. “Your people killed my parents, you animal! We lived in peace near your homeworld for decades, until you suddenly decided to make our home yet another extension of your ancient battleground.”


It's probably horribly obvious to everyone else, but I'm not sure who's speaking here. Danteel or the lieutenant?


It was a simple fold of metal, nothing fancy or even especially well-worked.


"Fold" is rather an odd word to use... you might consider changing it.


He was being dressed in simple padded armor, and as he caught the other’s glance, he gave a smile he clearly thought was superior.


Rather choppy. Maybe just "a superior smile"?


But he didn’t know Moncreif’s rule concerning his slaves. And he had not yet learned not to demand things from him.


Starting sentences with "and" or "but" is baaad. Sometimes you can't help it, but two so close together could be changed, I'm thinking. Maybe run them together, so they flow better as well?


The virtue of a rapier was its speed and ability to cause internal bleeding.


... *squirms*


Pivoting, he slashed at the other’s nearby legs.


Superflous and redundant. Na, it just seems awkward. And it'd be rather difficult to pivot when he's on his knees.


The Nagai looked back down at his former opponent. “Neither of us deserved our fate,” he said. “But now you, at least, are free.”


*grins* I like, like, like....


---


Very good chapter (again), but just a thought: there's one whole lot of shouting and screaming going on. I can't help but think of Mirror Wakes, and Kite's fight with Xavian... Meh, PPP.

Danteel kicks some seriously naive butt here. :mrgreen:




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm
gyrfalcon says...



I should be flogged, I truly should, for not posting this sooner. My appologies!!!

* * * * *

The rapier felt good in his hand, solid and familiar. Even under these circumstances, he enjoyed the chance to use one again. It was a simple weapon, nothing fancy or even especially well-worked. But it was still sharp, still fully capable of killing someone.

He glanced across the large, circular room at his opponent: a youngish human man with unruly blonde hair. He was being dressed in simple padded armor, and as he caught the other’s glance, he attempted a superior smile. Danteel, of course, was wearing no armor. The young man was the captain’s newest lieutenant, a bright boy who had bragged of his skill with a blade. He had seen Danteel when he had met Moncreif and, recognizing a Nagai, had demanded to be allowed to face him in combat. Danteel’s master had agreed. Danteel was not sure which of them the Captain hoped to teach a lesson to. Perhaps both. The rule was no killing blows. The boy probably thought that was only in place to protect his own human life, and didn’t apply to the Nagai. Of course, he didn’t yet know Moncreif’s rule concerning his slaves. And he had not yet learned not to demand things from him.

The lieutenant was armored now. Silently, the two began to circle each other, neither moving in to attack. Danteel knew he could win from the moment the boy began to move; he had received some training, true, but had nothing like the innate talent necessary to compliment that.

Suddenly the lieutenant attacked. Danteel parried his blows easily, barely moving his body. The lieutenant came at him from a different angle, and again Danteel blocked him. The boy sneered and said, “You’re past your time, old man.”

For a moment, Danteel was too shocked to respond and his opponent was able to land a glancing blow on his arm. The Nagai hissed and backed off. “How is it you know my language, dog?”

The other’s rapier slashed out, a flurry of angry movement. He may not have talent, but he did know how to channel his fury. “I have studied the ancient techniques of your race, slave. I was able to master your barbaric language in the process.”

The blades clashed and separated. “Then you know the danger you face in me, boy,” said Danteel haughtily. “Why forfeit your life for this foolish duel?”

The lieutenant roared in rage and slashed out, the tip of his blade cutting across the Nagai’s face and biting deep into his flesh. Danteel stumbled back and grabbed at his mouth to staunch the flow of blood. The lieutenant’s blade caught him again, this time on the back. Danteel gritted his teeth against a scream. The weapon had cut across dozens of existing wounds, opening up already sore and tender flesh. He went down, landing hard on his knees but still holding his weapon. He felt the tip of the lieutenant’s rapier rest gently on the nape of his neck and the young man's vicious voice from above, “Your people killed my parents, you animal! We lived in peace near your homeworld for decades, until you suddenly decided to make our home yet another extension of your ancient battleground.”

The tip rose from Danteel’s neck and he knew that the other man was hefting his blade high to bring it down in a killing blow. Stupid. He should know that a rapier never had nor ever would behead someone. It wasn’t meant for it. The virtue of a rapier was its speed and ability to cause internal bleeding. Time to teach this whelp that.

Letting himself fall to one side, away from the weapon’s trajectory, he sliced out at his opponent’s legs. The lieutenant howled and faltered, his “killing blow” falling harmlessly to one side. Up came Danteel, like an avenging demon, his rapier moving faster than the other’s eye could follow. He pierced his opponent in a hundred different places, always hitting the soft spots of the armor. The officer didn’t stop screaming until Danteel managed to shove his rapier through the padding and into his heart. “You know nothing of pain,” he whispered to the dying man. And then the human fell, a lifeless, bloody heap on the ground.

Danteel turned to his master. “Will someone be killing me, now?”

Moncreif shrugged. “You’ve weeded out a weak link, nothing more. Perhaps I will let you do so again sometime. Go take care of Lataar; she’s had a rough night.” With that the captain stood and left.

The Nagai looked back down at his former opponent. “Neither of us deserved our fate,” he said. “But now you, at least, are free.”




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:24 pm
aeroman says...



No problem! I'm glad I can help out.

I didn't know it was a story you were using to vent through. I actually believe it is more intriguing than Gypsie Eyes, but I'm not a big fantasy person.

Keep up the great work, Gyr!

-aero




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:01 am
gyrfalcon says...



Aero, you are like my inner concious when it comes to this story--if it ever gets published, you are so very in the acknowledgements page! *lots of cookies* Your insights have prodded me to take a more serious view on In Thrall, rather than treating it (as was it's original purpose) as a way to vent, and for this, I humbly thank you. While I can't manage to integrate your wonderful suggestions for a bit, don't let me forget all the work you've put into this and attempt to be worthy of it.




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:10 pm
aeroman says...



I'm critting the section after Danteel meets Matirra and he's in the shower.

“You said you wanted me clean and not reeking of Nagai, blood, and sweat,” Danteel retorted, lathering on another layer of soap, scraping his white skin with the rough scrubber. “After weeks of nothing but those cold, five-minute stints, what can you expect?” It gave him a glowing sort of pleasure to be able to talk back this way, if only for the moment—the shower door was a more effective barrier between he and his master than a stone wall.


I find it odd that Moncreif would should patience towards this outbreak of insubordination from Danteel. Danteel is a slave. It's commonplace for him to have beating markings, even with the special guest coming - we've learned this based on how Danteel was treated publically previously. Why wouldn't Moncreif just beat the crap out of him naked? Patience for a slave is not in line with Moncreif's character.

She stood next to their master, her head down and her scarred arms wrapped around herself. Instead of the spare costume he had first seen her in, she now wore an outfit much like his—brown slacks and a white linen shirt. Her long black hair hung wet down her back; apparently she had just finished a shower as well.

Danteel’s gaze shifted from her to Moncreif. The Nagai took one, deliberate step towards the human. Moncreif’s thin lips twitched in a brief smile. “She needs a haircut as well.”

The Nagai forced himself into stillness, but his rage sent tremors throughout his entire body. Mattira glanced up at him, giving him a brave little smile that somehow made it worse.


Within these three paragraphs Danteel becomes enraged upon seeing Matirra dripping wet. Why is he angry? Unless him seeing the scars along her arms is what has triggered this reaction, I cannot answer that question. But even that answer seems to be lacking, wouldn't you agree?

Throughout the story, so far as I have read, Danteel has been emotional, mostly exhibiting anger but fear as well. At this point, I really need a good reason for him to get angry otherwise him becoming angered has lost all emotion for the reader. It's almost anticlimatic.

I hope you understand my point. If you would like further clarification, feel free to ask.

----

As I read further he is still angry. Gyr, it seems to me that the only emotion Danteel is capable of is anger. I urge you to have him exhibit happiness, humor, excitement. Even if you had him only feel these emotions for a small sequence and then stripped that emotion away, it would bring us further into Danteel's mentality and what drives him as well as renew our feelings for him. His anger is melodramatic.

-----

Not as thrilling as previous perhaps, but good. I got all excited when Moncreif was in the kitchen and telling the cook to give them a haircut cause I thought it wasn't really a 'haircut', I thought it was going to be some sort of torture or something. Lol, that would be an interesting twist. But anyways, overall it's good. Keep up the good work, Gyr!




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:15 am
aeroman says...



Critting the section after the torture section.

She had a delicate nose and a mild, smiling mouth. And her eyes were large and golden, as luminous as her skin.


Yucky. Too many ands.

“The master…” she faltered. “He rescued me. There was a civil war on my world, I would have died. He…saved me.” For a long time, she was silent, perfectly still. As if it wasn’t Danteel she was seeing. “I have…certain duties.”


Too many ellipses in the same paragraph. Personally, I would get rid of all of them.

The first one, you say she faltered after it so you don't need the ellipse. Faltered explains it by itself. The second one could pass, but still, I believe you don't need it. The last one you should get rid of. Maybe have her pause and look away, ashamed - I get the feeling she's Moncreif's personal sex slave.

“Stars no,”


Lol. Saying that sounds funny. Nothing wrong with it since it seems like in this galaxy or whatever 'stars' is almost used as commonly as stuff like 'oh my god' or 'god.' But it just made me laugh.

The captain ignored him. He wiped Mattira’s eyes tenderly with one thin fingertip. “Go back to your rooms,” he said. “I’ll deal with you later.”


I believe you meant 'room' instead of 'rooms.'

“You slave,” Moncreif said calmly.


This line feels out of place. Danteel calls him a bastard, but it feels like Moncreif would totally disregard anything he says and not even give him the time of day, let alone respond to something as trivial as being called a bastard.

Danteel surged forward, his hands going for the captain's throat. Almost casually Moncreif sidestepped the attack, giving his slave the barest of pushes to throw him off-balance and onto the metal floor.


Wouldn't this act dishonor Danteel? I'm guessing he'll feel like he dishonored himself later.

-----------

Another thing I noticed is that the girl seems like more of a shallow character. It didn't feel like their was much depth to her. I'm not sure what I'd recommend to fix it though since I don't know what her part is in the story. Possibly make her more of an introverted character especially with what I believe her 'duties' are.

I have another logical problem as well. Danteel has just been whipped up the ying yang, starved, and humiliated. I think you're giving him too much strength, it appears a lot of the time as if all of this has been disregarded.

Finally one more issue, Moncreif seems to be a shallow villain. I think I've mentioned this before. I believe we need to get to know Moncreif better especially with the major role he plays in this story. I just don't get an original sense of character from Moncreif. He feels like your typical, cliche, generic slave master, evil villain, type of character.

I believe those are the only problems I have. Another good installment, Gyr. Not as good as the last in my opinion, but still good.

-aero




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:50 pm
aeroman says...



I'm critting the section after the collar was put on Danteel.

I love how they're gambling on the torture.

“May the subject of the wager place a bet?”


Another interesting twist on the torture. You're making what at first appears to be generic into something very original.

I like how you've brought about your exposition through the torture.

Again and again and again the whip came down, and somehow Danteel did not cry out. With every lash he felt the freezing hate inside him grow, not the fire-red rage towards Moncreif, but a far harder, far more enduring vendetta. Vengeance.


So we discover Danteel's true motivation for living.

I like how Moncreif refers to Danteel as 'it.' It's a good, common characterization for a slaver.

---------------------------------

Another great installment of 'In Thrall.' Bravo. Hopefully my writing will be up to par with this eventually lol.

-aero




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:33 pm
aeroman says...



I'm critting the part after The Beginning

They walked between the ranks of gleaming armor.


I find it interesting that the soldiers are wearing 'metal' armor. I say metal because you describe the armor as gleaming. I don't think these navy (space) guys would wear metal armor. It seems feudal for their advanced age of technology, which I also believe about Moncreif's sabre. It seems primitive compared to the technology they're using in space.

Another thing is you refer to the Navy as soldiers, but they're commonly referred to as sailors, but since they're in space that might seem kind of weird. GI's are referred to as soldiers.

Another thing is that I think them being the Navy in space may be kind of disorienting depending on who you are (it isn't for me, but I'm talking 'in general'). If anything the Air Force would be the primary military arm that would be in space since their focus is aerospace. Aviation is not the full concentration of the Navy (even though I believe Naval Aviators are better than Air Force pilots lol :)). Aviation is support in the Navy, water vessels are the primary concentration.

I think a lot of these military problems I see would be solved if you completely layout how this whole space arm of the military works. Because I'm just not comprehending it at the moment - you're interchanging stuff between different branches of the armed forces into this 'Imperial Navy' and it's confusing.

In fact, the only time I've ever seen 'the navy' used as a space force in literature or film is in the animated film, 'Treasure Planet.' Which is a play off of 'Treasure Island' in space. They fly ships in space.

Anyways, sorry to keep critting on the military stuff. It's hardly noticeable. I don't know why I keep bringing stuff up like this lol; it's really not that big of a deal. I can understand if you forget most of it.

These were not soldiers. They were slaves as much as he was


I like that statement because that's how the military is. The enlisted do exactly what they're told like slaves.

He struggled instinctively, but they were clearly stronger than he was. Speaking in Nagian, Danteel demanded


The way you've described Danteel previously is that he's very dangerous, very strong, agile. I mean if he ends up murdering people for Moncreif easily, especially officers, I don't see how two enlisted guys can hold this sucker. It seems contradictory.

If he didn't struggle and was sitting their thinking, Moncreif is an idiot - he really thinks these two enlisted can hold me? Fool. - and then escaped their grasp and the rest of the soldiers had to hold him down or something, that would seem more like the Danteel I've been reading about so far.

And then he released him and Danteel fell, landing hard on his knees. His hand began to move once more towards the collar but one of the soldiers raised his rifle and Danteel’s hand stopped mid-motion. “You’ll get used to it,” said Moncreif, wiping his hands on his trousers as if he had touched something vile. “At least, you’d better.”


Danteel repeatedly states he would rather die than be a slave. Yet, when the soldier points his rifle at him he stops moving towards the collar. You think that would embolden him to continue moving his hands toward the collar. You would think that Moncreif would repeatedly have to stop Danteel from attempting suicide.

I actually wonder why he hasn't killed himself by the time Erabon meets him, it seems ridiculous that someone who wants to die so bad would still be alive unless Moncreif has some sort of restraining type thing that keeps Danteel from doing harmful things to himself.

The only thing reason I can see that would change his mind would be vengeance, but since he has to serve Moncreif so as not to dishonor himself then technically he could never take revenge because he's forced into life-long servitude unless Moncreif is dead.

-------------------------

Again, Gyr, your prose and description is just amazing. But I find the logical reasoning of your story lacking at times. Hopefully this crit has helped, do with it what you will. I still think it's a great story :)

-aero




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:58 am
aeroman says...



This critique is for - The Beginning

Danteel fed the white rat a few crumbs from the remnants of his very bad dinner. The creature’s pink eyes seemed to glow in the darkness, and its wicked little yellow teeth just missed the Nagai’s thin white fingers. It took an especially large crumb in its two front paws and nibbled at it, allowing Danteel to stroke it lightly as it did. The animal was perched on his knee, and he could feel the little claws scratching at him through the cloth of his pants.


I like this opening passage because it shows that Danteel was not always a killer and can be gentle and kind to other creatures.

A door opened at the far end of the room, spilling light into Danteel’s cell and scaring the rat away. Two silhouettes came out of the light and strode towards the barred door that supposedly kept the rest of the galaxy safe from him.


That's quite the statement. He must be dangerous. Again a nice contrast with being kind to a rat. The only thing I don't like about this is that you use the word 'supposedly.' It's almost as if your mocking what the door is supposed to do and inferring that Danteel could easily get past it if he wanted to. If this is the case then that's fine, but if it's not - I would get rid of 'supposedly'

A door opened at the far end of the room, spilling light into Danteel’s cell and scaring the rat away. Two silhouettes came out of the light and strode towards the barred door that supposedly kept the rest of the galaxy safe from him. One of them was the squat figure of the jailer, carrying his stun rod. The other was tall, very tall, and walked as if his height set him apart from the filthy, reeking mess of the dungeon around him. They stopped in front of his door and the jailer unlocked it, but only the tall figure came in. As he stepped into the wan light from the single glow-lantern, Danteel felt an uncharacteristic shiver crawl across his flesh.


In this paragraph you have the jailer and the other character, whoever he may be, open two doors. But when they open the first door it appears that they are all ready in Danteel's cell based on your description. When I find out that they open a second door to enter his cell, it is confusing and I have to rethink the picture in my head because you didn't describe the setting well enough to begin with. Fix this.

The man wore the uniform of an Imperial Naval Captain, and there was a sheathed saber at his side. His face was hard and seemed to be cut of steel. His body was lean and long-limbed, his spotless uniform carrying the rank cylinders of a Naval Captain.


In this paragraph you mention Captain Moncreif being a 'naval captain' twice through two ways of exposition. First the uniform and then the ranky cylinders. I don't need to be told the same thing twice in two different ways. I can catch on the first time. If you want to mention the rank cylinders, mention it at the beginning of the paragraph when you mention the uniform.

I like your descriptions about how he carries himself and his eyes. Very well done.

-----

Overall very well done.

But I am slightly confused about one part. Danteel states that because he does not want to be saved, he owes Moncreif nothing, but for some reason this oath changes all that? I guess I don't see a connection here. Why does Moncreif suddenly saying the oath make Danteel have to serve him when the reason he gave him previously for not serving him seems a very logical counter for the whole servitude thing. It doesn't seem to add up and leaves me confused.

I mean just cause he knows the oath and says it, suddenly the reasoning for not serving him goes away? That hardly seems to make sense. It sounds like the oath is just a ritual type thing at first, but the way you use it it's almost as if by Moncreif saying it, he takes over Danteel and it forces Danteel to serve him. Which is completely wacked out. Maybe you can explain it to me.

-aero




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:37 am
gyrfalcon says...



You're such a sweetheart!!! *hugs* And, quite frankly, you're generally right about the logic, and I shall fix such things as I can, but one thing you need to remember, aero, the one really big thing is: MONCRIEF IS CRAZY. Like, psychopath nuts. His logic is...Moncrief's logic. I shall do what I can, but in the end *shrug* he's just a nutter. Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!! *gives cookies!*




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:06 pm
aeroman says...



All right, I'm starting from where I left off. Right after Danteel revealed to Lark Erabon that he needed him to 'owe him'

The light was better here, but just barely. But what Lark saw in the dim light almost made him throw up.


Get rid of one of the buts.

wondered how he could have red blood and white skin.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe skin color is determined by the amount of certain pigments in the skin and not by the color of blood. And blood is generally red when oxygenated because of the high iron base of our, mammals, blood. It's usually just a darker shade of red when not oxygenated. So I'm not sure what you're inferring with this statement.

Unless things work differently in your world.

The only other known colors of blood are blue and green but they don't appear in mammals, only in arthopods and other stuff because they have a different base for their hemoglobin.

“Why all this…for me?”

Lark didn’t answer for a long time. “I’m a doctor,” he could have said, “I don’t need an excuse to help people.” What came out was, “I owed you.”


I'm sure him 'owing him' was part of it, but the captain did order him to do it. I mean besides taking Danteel back to his room which I doubt was necessary, all he did was what the captain told him. It was his job. So I kind of have a problem with his response to Danteel.

You could possibly change the situation so that Moncreif doesn't call him in to do it and have him just find Danteel somewhere on accident and help him which could set up nicely for a confrontation between Lark and Moncreif. It seems like some of the answers in the dialogue in this story don't have proper reasoning behind them.

The other thing is that Danteel says he has survived worse. So why does Moncreif call Erabon in on something that isn't as bad as those?

------------------------------------

I have really enjoyed this story, Gyr. Your prose is fantastic and reading your work feels effortless. I do have some problems with some of the logic and reasoning in the story which I've mentioned through my critique, but in all seriousness your craft is top notch. Keep up the amazing work!

-aero




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:13 pm
Twit says...



If you're going by modern day military standards, then, yes, as aero said, change the Mr. But if you're going for the "officer and gentleman" type soldier, then you can keep the Mr.




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:29 pm
aeroman says...



Hey, Gyr!

Avarice


Something I noticed from the first section I read. The ship is called the 'avarice.' Interesting choice of name because avarice means greed. Maybe that is foreshadowing something, maybe just a coincidence? I guess I'll find out!

I'm glad you find me invaluable :). This critique is continuing from after Lark Erabon left the meeting, being led by the Nagai slave of Captain Moncreif...

He cleared his throat. “Ahem. So, what’s your name?”

The Nagai didn’t answer. Perhaps he didn’t speak Basic. That would be in keeping with his luck.

Lark placed a hand on his chest and said, very slowly, “My-name-is-Lark.”

No answer.

“Lark Air-ah-bon,” he said, annunciating carefully.


Lol, typical human response. Speaking slowly and 'enunciating.'

Lark sighed. “You don’t understand a word I’m saying, do you? Well, I’m sorry that I don’t speak your language but between Moncreif wanting to fry me and your staring at me like death itself and the whole big, blasted ship having so many blasted corridors that a man can’t get his blasted luggage—”


This dialogue works fine and definitely carries across the message, but he is in the Navy, and sailors can be known to have dirty mouths. Maybe exchange blasted with damn, whichever you prefer.

"You knew Basic the whole time?”

“I’ve known it longer than you have.”

Lark peered at him. There were no wrinkles in the sharp face, but of course one needed spare skin to have wrinkles. There were sidelocks of silver in the black hair, but beyond that hardly any signs of age. “Why didn’t you talk to me?”


I like how he begins to look for signs of age. Lark seems to be a perceptive person.

“When...the Captain sends me out alone with one of his men,” said the Nagai slowly, “it is one of those rare occasions where I have free choice. If I choose to kill him, I am not punished. And if we fight and he wins, the incident is carefully forgotten.”


I would get rid of the ... after when. It's not needed.

It's interesting that the captain gets a newly commissioned doctor and is going to have his slave kill him. I don't see why. Because he walks in clumsily? There doesn't seem proper motive, and I hope Moncreif isn't such a shallow character that he gets pleasure out of having new officers killed.

Again I'm not sure how the military functions in your world, but in our world that is considered murder lol and if anybody knew about it then they would be obligated to tell someone above Moncreif or they would be charged with obstructing justice. Moncreif would be decommissioned and put to death in our world. Especially if he's had this Nagai murder his officers multiple times. Anyways just some things to think about.

Lark stared. “Why?”

The Nagai shrugged. “Isn’t that the way of your kind? A member is inconvenient, now he his dead, problem solved.”


I don't think there has been proper evidence that supports the implication that Lark Erabon is inconvenient. Otherwise Moncreif just seems like an idiot.

Lark started to protest, to defend the several decent humans he knew, but stopped. He swallowed. “Why didn’t you kill me? I’m sure you could have.”


From this, I take it that humans are not seen as 'decent' or few of them are.

The Nagai’s eyes narrowed. “Because I am not human.” He turned and continued to walk towards the shuttle bays.


Does that imply that the Nagai believes himself to be decent, unlike humans?

“Then why—“

Danteel whirled on him. “You are not my master,” he hissed. “It is not for you to question what I do and why I do it.”


This is the second time Erabon asked 'why' after Danteel already gave him an answer. It seems redundant. Also why would Danteel say 'you are not my master, it is not for you to question what i do and why i do it' the second time and clearly answer the first time? It doesn't add up.

As it turned out, the Nagai was much stronger than he looked, hefting Lark’s two biggest suitcases without trouble. Lark himself took the rest, and they both deposited their loads in the new doctor’s spartan quarters.


I'm not sure what you mean by 'Spartan Quarters.' Does that mean that his quarters are similar to those of the ancient city-state, Sparta?

Before Danteel could leave, Lark said, “Why did you spare my life?”

Danteel regarded him. “You are a doctor, yes?”

“Yes.”

“Someday, I’m going to need your abilities. Me, personally, not Moncreif. I’m going to need you to treat someone I care about. I needed you to owe me one.”

“I do owe you, but--.”

“Good.” With that he turned and left Lark alone in his room.



This is the third time Erabon asks why. Except this time Danteel doesn't blow him off like the second time. There needs to be some sort of catalyst that changes his mind to answer him instead of blowing him off otherwise it is just redundant and doesn't make sense.


---------------------

The main issues I had with this section was the redundancy of asking 'why' 3 times and the inconsistencies of how Danteel answered. Also, Moncreif's reasoning for killing officers and why he doesn't have to answer for his actions. Are there not any consequences? Does a captain in this world of yours really have that much influence?

Otherwise, well done. I look forward to reading the next section! Amazing job, Gyr! Hopefully I've helped.

-aero




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:50 am
gyrfalcon says...



I really appreciated all this, aero, you're invaluable!!! Mostly, I've just been sloppy with my military accuracy--I know most of the stuff you told me, I just didn't take the time or effort to apply what I knew. *head/desk* Part of my desire, though, is to have Lark apear as hopelessly un-military as he can without being a total idiot--obviously I passed the line into idiot somewhere and shall have to reel him back a bit.

Also, your observations about Moncrief are totally correct--he is just captain of the one ship, and while it's an important ship, there are lots and lots of them. I wanted his...I guess you could say his arrogance to stand out, so I'm glad it worked! *hug*




User avatar
85 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 85

Donate
Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:02 am
aeroman wrote a review...



Hey, Gyr!

How are ya?!

I’ve only read the first section up to the part where the slave and Erabon leave the meeting, but the focus of my critique will be advice on military etiquette and how a brand new officer would act and appear.

Lark Erabon stumbled late into the conference room, running his fingers through his recently cropped black hair, straightening the new uniform that didn’t quite fit despite his average build. The meeting was already underway, of course, and as he took his seat the captain regarded him coolly. “So good of you to join us, Lieutenant,” he said, his voice oily.


Lark Erabon would not stumble into the conference room. He’s a brand new officer and he would make sure he looked his best before entering, and he would never just enter. He would knock first, and then wait for the captain to allow him to come in. Then upon coming in he would salute, and wait to be addressed. He wouldn’t just speak out of turn. That's major disrespect in the military. In fact, in the army when the regular enlisted guys are exercising even out of uniform if they see an officer then they have to immediately stop, stand at attention, and salute. (it isn't that way in the Navy) I know it sounds ridiculous, but there is a ton of etiquette in the military.

Lark swallowed. “Sorry I’m late, sir. I couldn’t find my room at first, and then there was no one there to help me with my things, so—”

After a few seconds of palpable tension, Captain Moncreif motioned smoothly and a burly, brown haired man, doubtless the first officer, stood.


In the military you can always recognize someone’s rank. It’s never a question. That’s why the soldiers always know how to address their commanding officers and who and when to salute. It’s a simple chain of command. The problem I had with this sentence was that he said “doubtless the first officer.” He would know if it was the first officer. The way you worded it, even though you said doubtless, sounds like there could be a question in his mind. I would reword it and have him recognize some sort of insignia (stars, epaulets, etc…) that would tell him it’s the first mate. A discrepancy I found later is that first you refer to him as the ‘first officer’ then later on you refer to him as the ‘first mate.’

In the Navy (modern day), the first mate is generally referred to as the chief officer or chief mate. In olden days they were referred to as first mates. First officer is the term used in aviation for a co-pilot, generally used in commercial aviation.
I know this is a bunch of military lingo that probably doesn’t interest you (it doesn’t interest me all that much haha), but it’s always best to be as accurate as possible and consistent with titles. You may want to research ranks, pay grades, insignia, etc… if you haven’t all ready.

In fact, I don’t know how high up on the military chain of command, in your world, Moncreif is but Captain is about medium in modern day society. Captains are only in charge of their one ship. If you’re going to give him higher political or military standing, you may want to make him an admiral. Like if he commands a whole fleet, or is some sort of political advisor. Again, I’m only a couple paragraphs in so I don’t know yet.

Mr. Erabon!


He would never address him as mister. He would address him as Lieutenant (if you’re going by modern day rank). A lieutenant is the lowest grade officer in the navy and is what every officer starts out as – pilots, lawyers, doctors, navy seals, all of them start as 2nd lieutenants. So since Erabon is new he would be a lieutenant.

Silently, the slave began to walk out of the room. Moncreif inclined his head to indicate that Lark should follow. Scrambling out of his chair, Lark followed.


He would not scramble out of his chair if he was a good officer. He would stand up straight, salute and be dismissed

----------------------------------------------

Now, if I didn’t know stuff about military etiquette then I wouldn’t have even noticed this stuff. If I wasn’t critiquing your work, I wouldn’t have noticed. So it’s up to you whether you take some, none or all of the advice. I didn’t tell you all this stuff to make sure you did it all. I think some of the stuff if you changed may ruin the opening. Maybe the military in your world is completely different too and so none of this applies.

I like how he bumbles in and looks like a nervous idiot. That may be how his character is. Maybe he’s so nervous that he’s making all these mistakes, which could then make it so the crew doesn’t respect him. Anyways, do with it what you will. The only things I would recommend, I bolded. The rest of it is optional in my mind based on how you want Lark Erabon to appear as a brand new naval officer. I think it’s a catchy story so far though. You have a magnificent flow to how you write, Gyr. I wish my writing would have that haha.

Hopefully this all made sense. It has been a while since I've critiqued and I kind of rambled. If you need me to clarify anything let me know.




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:13 pm
Dream Deep wrote a review...



... I'm further behind than I thought, haha. But no matter - that just means more chapters to read, which is always a treat. I think you've come quite a long way with your writing even since the first few chapters of In Thrall; you've generally been keeping up an each-chapter-tops-the-last trend. This will be a crit of the first chapter posted on page five of the thread. Hope it helps you out a bit, and thanks for waiting for me to get my easily side-tracked self over here. ^~'


... Small Nitpicks on the Narrative

"I would just like to ask you some questions," replied Jonahn without answering.


The phrasing seems a bit off, most noticeably in the second line. '...replied Jonahn without answering' - it's clear what point you meant to get across, but I think the overall effect gets tangled up a bit. More specifically, a 'reply without an answer' makes perfect sense, but only when you're clear on your respective definitions:

Definitions #1

re-ply: 1. To make answer in words or writing; answer; respond: to reply to a question.

an-swer: 6. A reply to a charge or accusation

(the nearest approximation to the text)

You want to make sure that you write the sentence in such a way that the definitions are clearly separated, as the above are. While the reader can infer what you mean with the text as it is, the writing tends to give across the impression that the definitons are, in this case, synonymous - therefore the grammatical tangling.

Definitions #2

re-ply: 1. To make answer in words or writing; respond.

an-swer: 1. A spoken or written reply or response to a question, request, letter, etc.

... I hope that made some sense at least. The final point being that it might be a good idea to rewrite that line to clarify the disparity between answering and replying.

Jonahn's face went nova red. "And yet we rose to a position of power high enough that we can now take even Nagai for slaves."


Hyphen, between 'nova' and 'red'. Also, his line of dialogue there might flow easier if you were to write 'And yet we rose to a position of power so high that we now take even Nagai for slaves'.

For the barest second he blacked out, but when he came to, he realied how fast the human could move.




--

Overall Impressions and Thoughts

I'd like to make a point of Danteel's emotional state from paragraphs twenty-two through thirty-two. It's a bit too genuinely quicksilver to be believeable: nonchalant, irritated, nonchalant, angry, nonchalant... If his laissez-faire reaction was forced or mimed, it might make his emotional progression a bit smoother. But the body language in particular thwarts a smooth segue; his nostrils flare as he tires of Jonahn's questions, definite displeasure, while moments before and moments after, he seems perfectly bored. Though Danteel is becoming a superbly developed character, a little work here on his true emotions would go a long way in this chapter - what is Danteel really feeling throughout - not what he feigns and not what he hides, not even when he gives away. Sans pride and sans an audience, what is running through is mind? I didn't get a clear impression of it here - the back-and-forth of his emotions distracted from the truth.

On a lighter note, Jonahn waves his hand a lot. What would normally be a well-placed character trait or habit becomes a bit redundant when used more than once in so small a place. It's a bit like Shan and his fettish for smoothing his hair. ^_~


--

Overall, Gyr, I definitely enjoyed reading this, and I look forward to returning to take a look at the rest!





Dreamy.




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:45 pm
Twit wrote a review...



Ah, poor Lataar. And now what's gonna happen, I wonder?

Trying to find things to pick out...

gyr wrote:For perhaps the hundredth time he went through the events on the planet in his mind.


Do you need a comma after hundredth time?


In mourning, there is silence, she managed at last. For this mourning, ever silent.


This shouldn't be in itallics.


Danteel could feel her entire, frail body—hollow-boned for flight—trembling.


These bits are superfluous. Too much. They clutter it up.


... but she must have heart them regardless.


Heart = heard.


I hope that was nitpicky enough for you? :wink: Need I mention how much I'm enjoyying this?




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 76

Donate
Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:00 pm
Shadowsun says...



*munchs cookie* :D




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:08 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Thankee, Shadowsun! *gives cookie*




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 76

Donate
Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:37 pm
Shadowsun wrote a review...



This is really good. I'm looking forward to more of it. I looked through it and could find only this one little tiny thing.

gyrfalcon wrote: Danteel hesitated, and tried as hard as he could to make Lataar understand that he would stay if she wanted him to. Much as he wanted to, he could not think back to her—his thoughts remained as much in his skull as ever, but she must have heart them regardless. Go, came the silent command.


That should be 'heard'

Hope this helped.

~ Shadowsun




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:37 am
gyrfalcon says...



Danteel watched her sleep, his eyes fixed on the golden collar encompassing her slim throat. He had forced himself to stay with her as the collar was fastened. Even though she had been unconscious during the process, as she was now, he had felt it his duty to see her through it. After all, it was his fault she was here.

For perhaps the hundredth time he went through the events on the planet in his mind. No matter how often he reviewed his actions he couldn’t find anything he would have done differently. For all that Danteel himself would rather die than live a slave, he knew that most sentients didn’t feel the same way. And the only way he could have prevented her slavery would have been to leave her there, where she would surely have died. And yet, that golden glint tortured him, made him feel as much a sheczkall as Moncreif.

His stomach grumbled at him; he hadn’t eaten since arriving back at the Avarice. Neither, he reminded himself, stubbornly refusing his body’s demand, had she. When she awoke, he would do his best to comfort her, to tell her where she was and why. Then, only when he had faced the accusation, pain, and fear that he knew he would encounter, would he ask if he could get her anything.

He closed his eyes, inhaling deeply through his nostrils. The dusky, feathery scent of her wings filled the room, reminding him vaguely of something long ago and far away, something before chains and humans and blood. But he couldn’t place it.

When he opened his eyes, she was awake, and staring at him.

“Hello,” he said, slowly and clearly, in Basic. “My name is Danteel.”

She didn’t move except for the slight rising and falling of her chest with each inhale and exhale. Her deep-set eyes were focused on him with a quietly powerful intensity. He felt something nudging at the corners of his mind, similar to what he had felt when Alita Sang at him. But this time he did not push the sensation away. He tried to remain calm, to leave his mind open to whatever it was the girl was doing.

Hello, came the barest whisper of a voice in his thoughts. I am…Lataar.

“Can you speak audibly?” he asked.

Tears glistened at the corners of her eyes and she took a deep, shuddering breath. This is hard, she said—no, thought—to him. My world is dead. My home, family, they are gone, yes?

He nodded, and his heart, such a calloused and scarred thing, still managed to break for her.

I must… she seemed to struggle with the effort of communicating mind-to-mind. Danteel tried to clear his thoughts, tried to make it easier for her without knowing what would help. In mourning, there is silence, she managed at last. For this mourning, ever silent.

“You won’t speak again?” he asked.

She shook her head and at last her self-control broke, tears streaming down her pale green cheeks, sobs coming as half-breathed, quiet gasps. Without fully knowing what he was doing or why, he put his arms around her, drawing her close, and she wept, drenching him with her silent sorrow. Her wings stirred, beat the air once before folding in tight against her back and shoulder blades. Danteel could feel her entire, frail body—hollow-boned for flight—trembling.

Then he heard the door open behind him, and Moncreif’s unmistakable step entering through it. “Do not reach out with your mind to this man,” Danteel whispered fiercely into Lataar’s ear as he held her. “He is evil.”

“How touching,” came the captain’s voice, cynical and aloof.

Gently Danteel released the girl, then turned and stood to face his master. “Her name is Lataar,” he said. “And she will not speak to you.”

“Will she not? That is no loss to me, unless she has a nice singing voice.”

“You destroyed her world,” Danteel continued, and then a thought struck him, a lie that he couldn’t help but attempt. “Humans killed her family, and thus she cannot ever speak to one of you again. She can converse with me, but only in private.”

Moncreif shrugged. “What do I care for what goes on in the heart of a slave?” he said carelessly.

“Just thought you should know,” Danteel replied, and he couldn’t keep a scowl of disgust off his face.

The captain laughed. “Danteel, you have been with me long enough to know it is not her mind, voice, or heart I have an interest in.”

The Nagai was silent, glaring. He stood deliberately between Moncreif and Lataar, and though he knew his position would do her no real good, he hoped that she realized what it meant—that he would protect her as much as it was within his power to do. I know, she thought to him.

“Now go,” said Moncreif, waving a hand dismissively. “Get yourself some food from the kitchens.”

“What about her?”

“Get her some as well, if you must.”

Danteel hesitated, and tried as hard as he could to make Lataar understand that he would stay if she wanted him to. Much as he wanted to, he could not think back to her—his thoughts remained as much in his skull as ever, but she must have heart them regardless. Go, came the silent command.

And so, still despising himself, he went.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:31 am
gyrfalcon says...



But J. does! Do you mean he should earlier? Wait a minute, does he? *checks*

Edit: *gasp!* He doesn't!!! For some reason, I always imagined he did--THANK YOU IMP!!!!!! :smt038




User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:36 pm
Poor Imp says...



gyrfalcon wrote:A million thanks, my Imp! *gives whole box of cookies* I've always been a little unsatisfied with this scene and I think you targeted the problem that I couldn't see. I shall edit this as soon as I can snatch time, and post the next bit (with which I am much more pleased) shortly.

Edit: I've integrated both your suggestions, and Imp you were so right about making J. flip about his actions to Mattira--perfect. I also agree with you on the idea of interuptions, but I'm having trouble finding the right spot, any ideas?



Lo again Gyr. ^_^

...a response to this, though I haven't quite the time to glance over the next installment.

I think J.'s reply, more flat and certain - if bored - certainly flows more eveniy in light of previously presented character impressions. ^_^

As for the breaking in/interruptions - I rather doubt that Danteel would be able to make it through an entire malediction in his own tongue without being cut off by J., yes? Try letting J. interrupt him there.







IMP




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:20 pm
gyrfalcon says...



You're fantastic, darling, as are your suggestions. While I like it that people enjoy In Thrall, it's kinda annoying when no one actaully takes the time to find out what's wrong. Thank you!




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:10 pm
Dream Deep wrote a review...



As I've been away from this for a while, I'll take it from where I left off - Page 4's second post. Sorry again and so forth for taking so long with this, Gyr. These last few chapters were the best so far, I think. You're really painting Danteel as a full character, and it's a pleasure to watch his persona grow and expand on the page. He is one of the most inherently likeable protagonist-victims that I've found in sci-fi, because even though he suffers quite cruelly, his reaction to it is neither overtly arrogant nor cowardly, and I think the balance really does the story credit.



Some Small Nitpicking



When Danteel awoke, his highly accurate internal clock told him that it was nearly midday.


Is all of this really needed? Sounds like something out of "'Repent, Harlequin,' said the Tick-Tock Man". You might want to consider chopping it down to merely 'When Danteel awoke, he knew immediately that it was...' and so on.

The quarters were quiet. Not a sound from Moncreif’s master suite, nor [...] the tiny cell next to Danteel which Mattira occupied. Mattira.


Insert 'from', otherwise you're missing a word.

She was wearing her outfit of the night before, the fabric now creased and crumpled.


'from'.

“My master or yours?” asked Alita, only half-sarcastically.


You'll need a hyphen there.

Danteel darted out of Mattira’s cell fast as thought, Alita following him.


The comparison here feels awkward to me. You might rewrite it as 'out of Mattira's cell as quick as thinking...'?

Surprisingly, his disgust seemed not to be directed at Danteel, but the Nagai, never one to argue when handed good fortune, declined to ask at whom the disgust was aimed.


A bit of a run-on sentence here, and the phrasing is awkward. It tripped me up - at first I thought you were saying that Moncrief was not disgusted with Danteel, but at the Nagai race in general. You might want to rewrite this to even it out and break up the line a bit better, it's too rambling as it is: Surprisingly, his digust did not seem to be directed at Danteel, but the slave was never one to argue when handed good fortune; he declined to ask at whom the disgust was aimed.



Characters

Danteel stands above the rest here, of course, holding his own. I found that the character that sagged in this chapter was Moncrief, not because you were inconsistent with his persona, but because you didn't allow the reader to spend enough time with him. In his position, at this point, this is a perfect time for character development. Here, we are exposed not to the cruel, callous and controlling Moncreif of previous chapters, but to the Moncrief who has lost something. Jealously sets in, a feeling of loss, and we don't get to see very much of it because we are whisked through the scene so quickly.

I would advise dragging out a part of this chapter... drag out his dressing scene, perhaps, where Danteel's helping him wash up and look presentable for the day. There are a lot of unspoken tensions available that you might get across with such an extension - less telling and more showing.


And with that, I've got to run - I'll be back to crit the rest, Crazy Bird. ^_^




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:49 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Phorcys, do you want my head to pop with all the swelling you've given it? ;) Honestly, it's fantastic to hear from people who love my stuff so much--it's people like you who keep me writing! *hugs*

ShadowTwit, what would I do without you and your eagle-eyes for typos? I shall certainly go back and integrate your wonderful tips when I'm not rushing madly to work.

Thank you, both of you. *sets out pie*




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:19 pm
Twit says...



Oh, I like this new race you've introduced. Sk'iri. Nice, I like wings. :)

FIRST BIT

gyr wrote:After she had her child, Jonahn gave both mother and baby (a little girl) to Alita as a short of graduation present, celebrating the young Song Weaver’s end to her studies with him.


Short = sort?


gyr wrote:From all accounts, Alita used the money she earned from the use of her talents to buy a very nice house for herself, Mattira, and the child.


Is this comma necessary?


SECOND BIT


gyr wrote:He had seen his share of battlefields, had worn his share of blood, but this was a massacre, preformed by a man who would not even deign to leave orbit and look upon the faces of those he had been ordered to slay.


Do you mean, ordered to be slain? Whose idea was it to kill all the Sk'iri? If it was Moncreif's then I'd change this.


gyr wrote:The carnage around him seemed to laugh at this thought, and he heard his master’s voice in his hear: Run to where?


Hear = ear?


gyr wrote:They walked in a kind of wedge, Danteel at point with two blank-faced soldiers on either side of him and the officer tucked safely in the middle.


Is it a wedge or not? It is a wedge, so nix the kind of, as it's superfluous.


gyr wrote:Beneath it lay a young Sk’iri girl, probably not much older than fifteen, clutching at the corpse of a woman who had apparently been her mother.


Nitpicky here. ... at the corpse of a woman who must have been her mother sounds better, I think. Or something like that.


gyr wrote:The doctor’d used bloody stun cuffs.


Had is better.


I don't think there was anything else. :) As I said afore, I like this new race, and I'm real interested about this girl.




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:33 pm
Swires wrote a review...



I have just taken the last hour and a half to read through the entirety of In Thrall. In Thrall to writing can be compared with everest to mountains. It was absolutely fantastic.

I was hooked after the first part. Danteel is an interesting character, he is different and has the presence of the Nagai culture all about him which adds intrigue to how he views the Avarice and humans in general. However, Moncreif has to be my favourite character, I loved it how he became the protagonist for a while when they sort of teamed up against Jonahn.

Still this isn't any ordinary conflict. This is gyr conflict wear you add yet another element of intrigue with the Weavers. this was a master stroke - combining elements of fantasy with what is a typically science fiction story.

I was kind of annoyed that Mattira was discarded from the plot but then I realised that the story is about Danteel and Moncreif and I'm guessing there will be sections to the story. Its kind of Stephen Kingesk of how you do this. So the annoyance soon vanished because I was hooked on another episodic plot line.

It felt like I'd just picked a novel up from a book store. It really did. It had a very publishable, polished feel to it. I enjoyed the characters, the plot was original and the pacing was just right.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what the evil Captain Moncrief does to our new guest aboard the Avarice. This hasn't been much of a critique but more of a review from a very happy reader.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:54 pm
gyrfalcon says...



The stench of scorched flesh and the brooding smell of burnt thatch filled Danteel’s nostrils. He looked around the razed village, the smoke from the ruins clogging the clear blue sky. The nozzle of a blaster rifle struck his always-sore back and he took a jerking step forward. Snarling, he shot an icy glance back at the stern-faced commander who wielded the offending weapon. The other narrowed his eyes in silent warning. Danteel, ignoring him, returned his attention to the smoldering town.

Armored soldiers stalked among the half-blasted homes and hundreds of sprawled winged bodies. So much death, and for what? Danteel fought against his urge to throw up. He had seen his share of battlefields, had worn his share of blood, but this was a massacre, preformed by a man who would not even deign to leave orbit and look upon the faces of those he had been ordered to slay. The Nagai turned his face to the smog-smeared sky and glanced at the distant gray glimmer of the Avarice. The commander stepped forward, pressing the business end of his rifle gently against Danteel’s back. He took another few unwilling steps forward.

They progressed in this fashion for several meters, soldiers and scouts occasionally coming up to the commander to give reports. Danteel ignored them. He was not bound. But for the rifle at his back, he could have run. The carnage around him seemed to laugh at this thought, and he heard his master’s voice in his hear: Run to where? Moncreif had not done all this to teach Danteel a lesson in submission; that was simply an added bonus. As if the hundreds of whip-scars covering his back were not lesson enough.

And then a wail split the gloomy, death-like silence. By the stars, thought Danteel, there’s a survivor.

The rifle came up to rest its muzzle between the Nagai’s shoulder blades and he heard the commander say, “Time to earn your pay, scum.”

If I were being paid for this, I could have bought my freedom several times over by now, thought Danteel bitterly.

They walked in a kind of wedge, Danteel at point with two blank-faced soldiers on either side of him and the officer tucked safely in the middle. Soon they came to a collapsed wall that had apparently trapped the source of the cry. Danteel glanced a question back and got an impatiently raised eyebrow in response. Crouching, he gripped the edge of the wall and lifted. It groaned and shuddered as he hefted it up and to one side.

Beneath it lay a young Sk’iri girl, probably not much older than fifteen, clutching at the corpse of a woman who had apparently been her mother. Her pitiful wails and sobs rang out, wrenching a compassion that Danteel thought he had long ago lost. She didn’t seem to notice that the wall trapping her was gone and she totally ignored the six beings looking down on her.

The stormtroopers shifted, looking from the girl to the commander and back again as if unsure what to do. Before anyone could move, Danteel stepped forward and knelt next to the girl. Without being totally aware of what he was doing, he put an arm around her and drew her protectively towards him. She started, flailing out with her huge white wings and hitting him with them several times. But he did not let go. Eventually she went limp in his arms and he lifted her thin, wiry form from the soot-and-blood ground, her wings hanging down like dirty white rags from her shoulder blades.

Sobs, silent and powerful, still wracked her body, and Danteel drew her to himself, allowing her to cry rivers on his narrow chest. A hard, thick hand landed heavily on his shoulder, and the Nagai turned to face the scowling commander. He felt the girl stiffen and try to hide herself by pressing back against him.

“And what,” the commander growled, “do you think you’re doing.”

Anger swelled in Danteel, but he suppressed it through habit. “What does it look like?” he said, glacially calm. “I’m rescuing.”

The commander snorted, an order at the tip of his tongue. But then, for the first time, he really looked at the girl. His eyes narrowed and his crag of a mouth split in a terrible grin. Danteel took and instinctive step back, and felt the girl wrap her arms around his neck and hang on for all she was worth.

“Give her here, Nagai,” said the commander softly, holding out his arms. He had never addressed Danteel with anything more than absolute scorn, and the use of even his race’s name set off warning klaxons in Danteel’s head.

“Why?” he demanded, taking another step back.

“I’m not going to hurt her, slave, just hand her over.” The commander had the slow, gentle attitude of a child cornering an escaped pet.

“Why?” demanded the Nagai again.

The commander stopped his steady progress forward and scowled. “Fine,” he grated, all gentleness gone. “You carry her, then.” With that he turned to go back the way they had gone. The soldiers formed up around them, surrounding Danteel. He had no choice but to march forward with them, still carrying the girl.

“What do you want with her?” asked Danteel. A small, horrible idea was taking root in his mind, an idea he all but refused to believe.

The commander glanced back at him, sneering. “Let’s just say you won’t be the only one earning your pay today.”

Danteel stopped. The stormtroopers surrounding him also came to a reluctant halt. “No,” he said.

The officer raised his rifle threateningly. “What did you say?”

“No. There’s no way. Forget it. I-will-not-let-you.” He annunciated the last few words carefully, in case the commander was still having trouble understanding him.

The officer looked gamely around the circle of armed soldiers. “It doesn’t seem you have much of a choice, slave.”

The girl’s arms tightened around Danteel’s neck and he doubled his grip on her. Her wings stirred, one coming up to cover her body and the other wrapping around his back to envelope his shoulders. He felt as if he was enfolded in soft white shields of light. “Very well,” said Danteel. “Be my guest. Shoot us. I’m sure Moncreif would be delighted to have our corpses dumped on his ship rather than live, useful slaves.”

“He gave me permission to kill you if you made trouble.”

Danteel shrugged. “Then go ahead.”

A wind blew into the silence, kicking up ash and soot and flinging it everywhere. The Nagai’s white skin was smeared gray and black, and the soldiers’ once pristine armor no longer gleamed.

Then the commander set his weapon to stun and shot both of them with one pull of the trigger.

* * *

Danteel awoke in the med bay with a pounding headache and the taste of, of all things, salt in his mouth. He spat. Stun blasts had never been kind to him, and he wondered if they were simply bad for his species or for him personally. He looked at the next bed over and saw the Sk’iri girl lying there, her wings limp and her eyes closed, with the fat ship’s doctor standing over her. Danteel let out a curse as he moved to get off the bed he was lying on. Pain shot up his right arm and spread to engulf his body. He gasped and lay down again, looking for the first time at his wrists. Stun cuffs. The doctor’d used bloody stun cuffs. He knew it was the doctor who’d fastened him to the bed with them; Moncreif was a lot more…traditional.

And now here the doctor came, his generous stomach wobbling. “Lie still, please,” he said primly, as if the “please” was a stretch for him. “You don’t respond well to stun blasts.”

“No kidding,” Danteel snarled. He moved his left wrist gingerly; the cuff was tied to the bed by several strands of power cord. “You couldn’t simply strap me down?”

The doctor’s little pig eyes flashed. He leaned in over the Nagai and Danteel was smothered in the smell of sweat and rubber gloves. “You will not address me so, slave.”

“Not your slave,” hissed Danteel. “Release me.”

Even tied down, he managed to avoid the slap. “You defied Commander Manston’s orders,” the doctor said, his face red with anger. “I am keeping you still and docile until the Captain chooses to deal with you.”

“Then you should have stun-cuffed my legs.” The kick bowled the doctor over like a rubber ball, but because he couldn’t move his arms or upper body it had little power behind it. He had braced himself by the time the doctor rose and activated the stun cuffs. The pain of electricity coursed through his body and he could smell his own hair singing; this was worse than a thousand lashes, this was the definition of pain. But he didn’t scream. He refused to scream.

“Enough!” The command rang out, cutting through Danteel’s near-unconsciousness. The pain stopped abruptly and the Nagai groaned. He could see Moncreif standing in the door to the medbay with a face like thunder. Danteel rarely saw him this angry; the Captain’s rage was cool and sharp and terrible, the kind where he could smile and make small talk while he whipped your back into ribbons.

The doctor scuttled over to him. “Sir,” he began, “I—“

“Were you or were you not,” Moncreif said in the low, piercing voice of his most potent anger, “made aware of the rule that no one punishes my slaves but me?”

Danteel knew the rule. He had counted on it.

But the doctor seemed taken aback. “Of course, sir, but I thought—“

“Then you will kindly refrain from thinking any farther,” Moncreif interrupted again. “You will go to your quarters and log an official request to transfer off of the Avarice. If you are not off this ship in ten hours, I will let Danteel decide how to deal with you.”

The doctor looked fearfully back at his “patient.” Danteel gave him the most menacing smile he could manage, half-fried. The doctor fled. Now the room was empty but for the captain, the girl, and himself. Moncreif went first to the girl and looked down at her dispassionately. “Commander Manston tells me she is a gift,” he said to the room in general, “to do with…as I please.”

“Sir,” the word came out roughly, and not just because the pain still echoed in him. “Sir, please, you can’t—“

I can’t?” Moncreif’s harsh, motley green eyes pierced Danteel like a rapier. But his mouth was smiling. “Do tell me, Danteel, what I cannot do.”

Danteel swallowed. “Sir, please,” he tried again, hating the words as he said them. But now was no time for pride; he hadn’t been able to save Mattira, maybe he could save this child. “I, I beg of you, please leave the girl alone. I have nothing to offer you that you haven’t already beat out of me, but I swear—“ he cut off and swallowed again. “I swear, if you let her go I’ll give you no more trouble. Ever.”

Moncreif smiled. “So noble of you,” he said thoughtfully. “Why would you give up on our little game for this?” He gestured at the unconscious form of the Sk’iri.

The Nagai closed his eyes. Because I know how you treat your slaves, he thought. Because I’ll do anything I can to stop you doing to her what you did to Mattira, to Ellir, to all of them. Because I don’t want her back to look like mine. Aloud he said, “Because she has no one else to speak for her.”

The Captain smiled again and gently brushed a lock of the girl’s hair off her forehead. Danteel again tried not to throw up. “She is a very pretty thing, and I don’t have a Sk’iri,” said Moncreif off-handedly. “We shall see.”




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:53 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Danteel never told me precisely what happened to Mattira after this, but by way of ship’s gossip and some riffling through old records, I eventually learned that she had indeed been sold to Jonahn, just before the governor left the Avarice to return to Locus Nova. After she had her child, Jonahn gave both mother and baby (a little girl) to Alita as a short of graduation present, celebrating the young Song Weaver’s end to her studies with him.

From all accounts, Alita used the money she earned from the use of her talents to buy a very nice house for herself, Mattira, and the child. I do not know whether Danteel ever got back in touch with Mattira, but I do know that after the incident with Jonahn, Moncreif never kept any single slave girl on the
Avarice for more than a year or so.

Until Lataar.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:16 am
gyrfalcon says...



A million thanks, my Imp! *gives whole box of cookies* I've always been a little unsatisfied with this scene and I think you targeted the problem that I couldn't see. I shall edit this as soon as I can snatch time, and post the next bit (with which I am much more pleased) shortly.

Edit: I've integrated both your suggestions, and Imp you were so right about making J. flip about his actions to Mattira--perfect. I also agree with you on the idea of interuptions, but I'm having trouble finding the right spot, any ideas?




User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:03 am
Poor Imp wrote a review...



Hullo Gyr. ^_^


...I've fallen behind in reading Thrall - rather behind in critiques. to be tangential. But I wanted to hit this last installment, if possible.

Brief thoughts, da?


DIALOGUE --

You keep an inescapably involving tension in the exchange, if not flawlessly, very near it. I would keep an eye on adverbs, for where they add and where they detract. Though only once did a polysyllabic nonchalantly feel like a skip in the flow. On a similar point, to tighten things somewhat, you might try having one or the other character interrupt whoever is speaking, every now and then.

In this case, both J. and Danteel seem uncommonly less likely to be breaking in and summarising each other. Still, when it comes to Danteel's snapping, it would fit neatly.


PLOT FACETS, PERHAPS? (related to character)--

So, mad fellow of a weaver rapes an alien girl...to get her pregnant. In itself, easily slid into a plot.

But it felt awkwardly phrased in Johan's words - as if he weren't sure of what he'd done until he started saying it. Intentional? If so, it's an interesting facet of his character. If not, you might want to consider it at more length so that you have a clear sense of what it is and how to put it.

Yes, rather a bizarre thing in itself. But I picture J. being more than cool about explaining such things; in fact, he seems the sort to put bloody tragedy into sterile euphemism.

That brief knot aside, the characters are deftly portrayed in their speech. Honestly, 'tis a good read for their interaction. ^_^










IMP


[ courtesy of the CCF ]




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:33 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Bless you, love. :)




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:17 pm
Twit says...



Oh my oh lawks oh MAN!! Wasn't expecting that bombshell, very nicely dropped on my unsuspecting toes.

Gyr wrote:Nor had he expected the man to have an open bottle of brandy before him with two untouched tumblers.


Add in he between had and expected.


Gyr wrote:Alita was no where nearby...


No where = nowhere; one word.


I think that was all.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:13 am
gyrfalcon says...



Danteel had not expected Jonahn to be waiting for him. Nor had he expected the man to have an open bottle of brandy before him with two untouched tumblers. But most of all, he had not expected him to smile at his entrance. The sensation that smile gave him was eerie, as if something alien was trying to worm its way through his eyes into his soul.

He blinked, and the sensation vanished. “Won’t you have a seat?” Jonahn said, gesturing expansively to the chair across from him. His voice had that same false joviality as when Danteel had first heard it. He hesitated.

“Is this an invitation,” he said, his voice perfectly expressionless, “or a command?”

“I would just like to ask you some questions,” replied Jonahn without answering.

Danteel sat, but didn’t touch the brandy. He knew that Moncreif had not sent him to merely “check up” on the Governor, and even without his master’s subtle commands he would have been curious. He intended to say, “What is it you want?” Instead, the words that came from his in a hiss were, “What did you do to Mattira?”

The barest flicker passed across the man’s face. Anyone less skilled in observing human expressions would have missed it. “You heard the arrangements,” said Jonahn, and while he had not dropped his façade, there was definitely more strain on it now than there had been before. Danteel glanced about the room. Alita was nowhere nearby, and through the open door to the office, the Nagai could see that she was not in the quarters at all. No one to protect Jonahn now. No one to see.

He clenched his teeth, regained control. “I will ask you once more,” he said softly, “and you can lose your little act: what did you do to Mattira?”

He could see the man hesitate for only a moment, then decide. “It wasn’t rape,” he said in his natural, more husky voice.

“What would you call it then?” snarled Danteel.

“I put her to sleep the moment she arrived: no memories, no scars, no rape.”

“No choice.”

Jonahn rolled his eyes as if bored. “It is not she I wish to talk to you about.”

Something chimed in the back of Danteel’s brain. Several times he had provoked Jonahn, had given him every reason to throw him our or, at the very least, lose his temper. Yet the human hadn’t risen to the Nagai’s barbs. Which meant Danteel had something Jonahn wanted, something he could only receive if Danteel wanted him to receive it.

He leaned back in his chair, unclenched his fists, and made his face go smooth and impassive. “What is it you want then?”

Jonahn smiled, apparently glad to finally be getting to the point. “How much do you know of human history?” he asked.

“As much as any nonhuman, I suppose,” Danteel lied coolly. “I know that you blew up your own homeworld with bickering between nations. What an embarrassment that must have been, trying to decide between the –what was it then?—the three or four other world you held which would be your ‘new homeworld.’ Trying to make the governments who had destroyed the old decide on the new.”

Jonahn’s face went nova red. “And yet we rose to a position of power high enough that we can now take even the Nagai for slaves.”

That particular dart struck home, but Danteel gave no sign of it. “Took you long enough to get there,” he said, very nearly drawling. “Two civil wars after you settled Locus Nova, not to mention the countless coups and political upsets that never quite got called wars. So sloppy.”

“As sloppy as a race who spent so much time fighting their ancient enemy that they never bothered to learn enough about the new one,” said Jonahn off-handedly.

“My people were building skyscrapers before your race discovered ladders,” said Danteel, with as much scorn as he could use while still sounding calm and collected. It would not do to explode at the man, not now.

He was pleased to see Jonahn struggle to control his rage, pleased to watch the fat man’s round face grow even redder, pleased to see the meaty fists tremble as they gripped the arms of his chair. This was power, and he had not tasted it in far too long. “Are you saying that you don’t want to hear my proposal, then?” he asked, his voice surprisingly cool.

Danteel gestured, a slow, imperious sweep of the hand his father had often used when half-listening to the babbling of underlings. “As you will.”

“When you attacked me,” said Jonahn slowly, as if weighing every word before he spoke it, “my apprentice attempted to defend me. Do you remember what she did?”

He thought back. “She saw me coming at you with the broken bottle,” he said. “She threw herself on you to get out of the way. Then she stood between us, blocking my way to you.”

Jonahn leaned forward, almost eagerly. “Yes, and then?”

“And then…” Danteel blinked, remembering the words Alita herself had used to describe her actions. “She…’sang’ at me.”

The governor released a long, pleased breath. “And what did her Song do to you?”

Danteel’s nostrils flared. He was tired of being the only one answering questions. “Why is this so important to you?”

The human rolled his eyes. “Time enough for that later.”

“The time for that is now,” declared Danteel. “Or the time for my answers is never.”

Jonahn’s face pulled into a scowl. “You forget,” he said, “which of us holds the power.”

“Depends on how you define power,” replied the Nagai, almost nonchalantly. “If you mean the power to cause pain or death then yes, you have it. If you mean the power to be the only sentient in the galaxy able to answer these questions, then it is you who has forgotten.”

For a long moment Jonahn was silent, not moving so much as a centimeter. That deliberate, controlled inaction told Danteel, even more than Jonahn’s walk or voice had, that this man had seen battle and been trained for it. It suddenly occurred to him to wonder how old the human was—certainly he did not seem much above middle age, but it was hard to imagine a man going from trained warrior to governor of Shinjara in a lifetime less than forty or fifty years. Finally, Jonahn spoke. “What will it take for you to answer my questions?”

“Tell me what you have done to Mattira,” he replied without hesitation. “If you planned to knock her out as soon as she arrived than why call for her at all?”

“I wanted to teach Moncreif a lesson,” said Jonahn. “He has always had a soft spot for alien women, and he has yet to learn how dangerous that is.”

Danteel leaned forward, his eyes intent on the governor. “What did you do to her?” he demanded, each word emerging like the measured toll of a bell.

Jonahn took a deep breath, pursed his lips. “I used what knowledge and power I have,” he said in a bored tone, “to make her pregnant with my child.”

Time seemed to congeal around them. Danteel could feel every pulse of blood in his veins, could hear every movement of breath in his lungs. The world of the Avarice seemed as far away as his home planet, all that remained in this frozen place were his breath, his heartbeat, and his horror. Then everything returned in a terrified, terrifying rush and he shot to his feet, screaming, “What have you done!”

Jonahn erupted from his chair at the same time, yelling over Danteel’s cry, “I have saved her from him!”

The Nagai lunged at the man, feeling the silver blaze in his eyes. But Jonahn saw the attack coming this time: he grabbed Danteel’s arm and pivoted, spinning and dragging his assailant with him. Danteel lost his balance and began to fall—until Jonahn slammed him into the bulkhead. For the barest second he blacked out, but when he came to he realized how fast the human could move. Jonahn had Danteel pinned to the floor, one knee pressed to the center of his chest, the other managing to trap both his legs, the man’s hands holding his writs in an unbreakable grip. Danteel’s back, pressed to the thinly-carpeted floor by the full weight of this not daintily-built man, seemed to scream pain throughout the Nagai’s entire body. “Get off,” he commanded, his voice low.

“You have to listen to me,” said Jonahn, his face serious. “Swear not to attack me again and I’ll let you up.”

“I will rip your throat out,” said Danteel in Nagian. “I will tear your teeth from your mouth one by one. I will--.”

“In Basic,” growled Jonahn, oblivious to the threats. “Swear.”

“You are safe from me for the remainder of our discussion,” the Nagai said coolly, ignoring the agony in his back. “But after our conversation is over I suggest you show me out as quickly as possible.”

“Fine,” Jonahn snarled, and was off the Nagai in an instant.

Danteel levered himself up slowly, gingerly pulling his now-sweaty tunic away from his tender scars. “Answer my questions,” he said, “and I will answer yours.”

“It is not my habit to bargain with slaves,” Jonahn said, but the words had no bite and Danteel ignored them.

“Tell me,” he demanded, “what you have done to Mattira and why.”

“What has Moncreif told you about Weavers?”

“That you are would-be wizards with little power, surviving on the legends of your predecessors.”

Jonahn snorted. “He would, wouldn’t he? Well, for once he’s not far off. Most modern Weavers are exactly what you describe: poor, pathetic shadows of what our profession once was.”

“But not you,” said Danteel, more than a little sarcasm in his voice.

The human waved his hand in a little gesture that might or might not have been self-deprecating. “I fancy that I have some little skill with Weaving by written word, and indeed the government has often found my talents…useful. As to last night, sleeping drought in the drink I gave her was all required to knock her out. And then I simply used the power of my words to make her eggs ready to receive human fertilization, and her womb ready to carry a half-human child to term.”

“Why?” snarled Danteel.

“What better way to get at Moncreif?" Jonahn was grinning widely. "You must know how possessive he is of his slaves, how jealous. Can you imagine how much he hates knowing that a woman who has never had any man but him has now shared the bed of his enemy? How much more will it torture his mind to know she is carrying another man’s baby?”

“He’d rather kill her than live with that knowledge,” said Danteel flatly, wondering just how much he could shorten the definition of ‘conversation’ while still keeping his promise. “Was that a part of your perfect plan?”

“While what you say is true,” said Jonahn, waving a hand as if Mattira’s life was of no consequence, “I believe I can convince him to spare her and his own shame by selling her to me. Alita seems to have made friends with her anyway, and I can always sell her if she or her child prove too much trouble.”

“Sheczkall,” hissed Danteel. “The inhumanity of the human race never ceases to astound me.”

Jonahn rolled his eyes. “I have answered all your questions, slave, now you have promised to answer mine.”

Danteel crossed his arms. “Ask.”

“What did you feel when Alita Sang at you?”

The Nagai considered for a moment. “I felt as if the song itself were a physical force, like a drug coursing through my system, trying to calm me.”

“But it didn’t work,” mumbled Jonahn, as much to himself as Danteel. “Why didn’t it work? How did you resist it?”

He shrugged. “I shook it off as I would pain, ignoring it as something unnecessary to feel at the moment.”

“But how?” demanded Jonahn, nearly yelling. “How did you shake it off so easily? Alita is one of the most talented girls I’ve trained.”

“I have told you all I know,” said Danteel icily. “And our conversation is now over. I suggest you dismiss me immediately.”

“Yes, get out,” said Jonahn, suddenly vicious. “This has been time wasted.”

Slowly, reminding himself of his promise with every step, Danteel left Jonahn’s quarters.




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:33 pm
TIGER555 wrote a review...



your work is really the best thing i`ve read so far on this site But still i`d advise you to ride it a few more times i`m sure that it could get it to be better than it is now :wink: :)




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:36 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Hello, Dreamy! *pounces* No pressure, love. :)




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:29 pm
Dream Deep says...



O.O

I need to crit this. *hides*




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:53 am
gyrfalcon says...



lol, I'm glad you like my story, Pol, but you need to read it a bit more carefully--I go into great detail about the collar, as well as the pain (both physical and mental, mostly mental).




User avatar
164 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 164

Donate
Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:24 am
Poltergiest says...



Okay, now I've read the third part. It was good, like the rest. I think you should explain the shuttle bit a bit more. He could have tried to escape or something. Or at least planned it.

The Moncrieff smile thing creeped me out, a lot. Anyway, I thought the necklace thing was good. I would describe the pain way more. Everything else in this bit is really detialed so you should describe the pain on his neck n'stuff...

I would describe the necklace too. I imagine like a bid plain old thing with a fat red detonater on it. Sorry but... Uh, I found it pretty unlikly that only two guards could hold this dude. If he was as detirminded as I thought he was he wouldn't give up that easily. Okay, thats it!

~Pol




User avatar
164 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 164

Donate
Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:35 pm
Poltergiest says...



Okay, this is after reading the second part. Again very good. Is it a flash back or are you gonna keep the story here? Only everyone else who's read it. Nevertheless. Um, one thing I completely hated. "His eyes were the stuff of nightmares."

EEEWWWWWWWW!!!! Sorry, but the wording was terrible. My edit would probably be something like, These eyes seemed to be made of nightmares. That was it. Its so unfair. You shouldn't be allowed to be this good of a writer. *Sniffles* Pass the Kleenex.

~Pol




User avatar
164 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 164

Donate
Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:37 pm
Poltergiest wrote a review...



Okay, now I feel bad for not reading it before. I'm gonna try and crit but there wasn't really anything. First, shouldn't it be in fnafiction? Just a thought, anyway...

Lark is really cool but I don't think you described him. For other readers I only read the first page. He was kinda a mystery to me. First of all I think Moncrief is a b------. Uh...

I love danteel and feel really sorry for him. Unfortunatly thants it. Bye sis!

~Pol




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:23 am
Twit says...



Ooop, just saw this in the first chapter:

gyr wrote:The Nagai shrugged. “Isn’t that the way of your kind? A member is inconvenient, now he his dead, problem solved.”


His = is

Just re-reading this in appreciation, and to refresh my memory for Rainbow Eyes. :wink:




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:14 am
Twit says...



Yeep! :D

Great; Gyr strikes back! :D

Just one thing that I really noticed:

gyr wrote: The Nagai reluctantly keyed for the door to open, only half looking in should she be indecent.


I know what you mean here, but it's worded a bit awkwardly. Perhaps, "lest she be indecent"? But the "indecent" bit makes it sound like Mattira's done something wrong. Is there another word to use? "Uncovered"?

Oh, and this that I'm not too sure about:

gyr wrote:“Come,” said Moncreif, “help dress me. What’s the time?”

Danteel told him.

The captain shrugged as if it didn’t matter.


Do you need to start that many paragraphs? The middle one - "Danteel told him" looks a bit lonely by itself. Should it be run onto the first para? I don't know, but check it out to see if it's right.

:D

-Twit




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:14 am
gyrfalcon says...



Umm.....thank you. :oops: I'm glad you liked it!




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 76

Donate
Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:01 pm
Shadowsun wrote a review...



:D Thats BRILLIANT!!! :D

~ Shadowsun :D




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:34 pm
gyrfalcon says...



>>>right now, darling!<<<

When Danteel awoke, his highly accurate internal clock told him that it was nearly midday. He jolted upright, grabbing at the chrono that sat beside his bed. 1150 hours. Danteel cursed in his native language and dressed hurriedly. Then, fingers brushing his collar, he emerged silently from his cell.

The quarters were quiet. Not a sound from Moncreif’s master suite, nor the tiny cell next to Danteel which Mattira occupied. Mattira.

It was as if a knife twisted in Danteel’s heart. He went to her door and knocked gently, whispering her name. He could hear the rustling of blankets and a sleepy murmur, then nothing. The Nagai reluctantly keyed for the door to open, only half looking in should she be indecent. It was hard to tell whether she were or not, for all he could see of her under the mass of tangled sheet and blanket was her silky black hair, all awry.

As he stepped towards her, he felt his booted foot hit something that moaned. Startled, he stepped back, looking down. It was Alita. The young human woman had made up a thin mattress for herself out of cushions from the main room, assembling this makeshift bed in the small space between Mattira’s cot and the door.

With a groan, she rolled onto her back and blinked her eyes owlishly at him. “Whata ya doing here?” she demanded groggily, throwing an arm over her eyes to block the light that spilled in through the open door.

“I might ask you the same,” he replied.

“Couldn’t leave her alone,” Alita explained, her voice becoming clearer as she came fully awake. She was wearing her outfit of the night before, the fabric now creased and crumpled. Slowly, uncertainly, she levered herself to her feet, trying to straighten herself out as she did so. “Couldn’t leave her alone,” she repeated, “and you couldn’t stay with her.”

“Obviously,” he said. Then, in more somber tones, “How is she?”

Alita shrugged and gestured to the still-sleeping figure. “As you see.”

Danteel tenderly brushed a lock of Mattira’s hair back from her face. “What has he done?” he whispered.

“My master or yours?” asked Alita, only half sarcastically.

“Mine. Yours is no master in comparison.”

Alita shrugged, conceding at least that point. “Still, if a ‘he’ has done something to her recently, it would be Jonahn.”

“It was Moncreif who handed her over,” said Danteel. “Because of me,” he added softly.

Tentatively, Alita placed a hand on his arm. Much to her surprise, he didn’t shrug her off. For a long moment they stood that way, looking down on the sleeping Mattira like worried parents standing vigil over an ill child.

“Sheak verash alimonere,” murmured Danteel, and from the way he said it, Alita couldn’t be sure if he were blessing the sleeping slave or cursing her master.

She was about to say something when the sound of a door slamming echoed through the suite. Only two pairs of doors on the ship were on hinges, the door in from the anteroom, and the door to Moncreif’s chambers. Danteel darted out of Mattira’s cell fast as thought, Alita following him. It had been the door to Moncreif’s chambers that had been slammed, by none other than Moncreif himself.

The captain, always so elegantly self-composed, now stood in the middle of his quarters like a man only half sane. His uniform had obviously been slept in, his short dark hair was mussed, and his expression wavered between confusion and rage. “Danteel,” he snapped. “Is Mattira here?”

The Nagai gestured to the room he had just vacated.

Moncreif took a step towards it, and Danteel’s muscles tensed. But the captain stopped suddenly, and seemed to notice Alita for the first time. “What are you doing here?” he demanded, sounding a little more like himself.

“Nothing, sir, I was just leaving.” All of Alita’s resolve to stay and help melted in the glare of those eyes, and she hurried out of the room with only the briefest backward glance at Danteel.

Master and slave stood, regarding each other for a moment. “Jonahn,” said Moncreif at last, letting the word drip from his mouth like venom.

“Jonahn,” Danteel agreed. “She is still asleep. And unless you would like to start your day out flogging me, I suggest you not attempt to disturb her.”

“’Suggest,’” said the captain, half laughing the word. “You suggest.”

“I do.”

“At least you have learned not to demand.”

“At least.”

Moncreif’s sharpness returned suddenly. “You needn’t bother protecting her—she’s safe from me for the next few days.” Surprisingly, his disgust seemed not to be directed at Danteel, but the Nagai, never one to argue when handed good fortune, declined to ask at whom the disgust was aimed. “Come,” said Moncreif, “help dress me. What’s the time?”

Danteel told him.

The captain shrugged as if it didn’t matter. “Come,” he said again.

Only after Moncreif was washed, shaved, and dressed did he enter Mattira’s room, standing over her much as Danteel had done. The Nagai stood in the doorway, again tense and ready. But the captain just looked for a moment, then swept out of the cell and towards the door out of his quarters. “Just go check on our guests would you,” he said before he left, the sentence phrased like a question but spoken like an order.

“Yes sir,” said Danteel.

As he opened the carved wooden doors that led to his anteroom, Moncreif glanced back over his shoulder. “We have a common enemy now,” he said.

“I know.”

“Do not expect that my behavior towards you shall change because of it.”

“Of course not.”

Moncreif nodded curtly. “Good,” he said, then swept out.




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:06 pm
Twit wrote a review...



*gulps*

Why didn't I read this before? You don't make enough of Danteel in the Dialogue Game, Gyr. This is brilliant - as good as Gypsie Eyes, and possibly better! WUNNERFUL. No crit, cos I can see nix to correct. :D

Danteel isn't too pitiful, not too "look at me, I'm the brave and heroic slave", and with potential for serious bad-guy.

Fantastic.

Super-duper in a candy cane.

Fantasmagorical.

When's the next bit coming?




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:19 pm
Dream Deep wrote a review...



Only two chapters behind on this? Ah, that's a relief - I thought I'd be about five pages back and buried in the dust of the first posts. ^_^ But as there's not too much here that I've missed, I'll print out these two last chapters and get to work on them for you. It wouldn't do any good to leave the crazy bird hanging. ;)

*hugs*




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:25 am
gyrfalcon says...



>>You've waited long, you've waited hard, now at last, here it is!!!!<<


Danteel paced. Moncreif, in a rare act of leniency, had allowed him access to the entire suite tonight, and now the Nagai strode back and forth through the main room. The captain himself sat behind his desk, immobile, staring through his long fingers as if staring into eternity. Neither would get any sleep tonight.

“Damn it, Danteel, can’t you be still?” said Moncreif after a long silence. But there was more weariness than threat in the words.

The Nagai answered simply, “No.”

The long silence resumed. The faint and far-away noise of the great engines and the soft footfalls of Danteel’s boots on the carpet seemed, after a time, like the loudest sounds in the universe. Danteel had never had an especially active imagination, but now he fought against it as hard as he had ever fought a mortal enemy. Images of Mattira with Jonahn were crushed as soon as they began to form, but for every one Danteel destroyed there was another waiting to take its place.

Finally, speech became the only way to escape the monotonous imprisonment of his own mind. “What’s a Weaver?” he said.

Moncreif, who had been sitting perfectly motionless with his eyes closed, opened them slowly. “Why?”

“I asked.”

The terrifying green eyes started at nothing for a moment. “Weavers are holdovers from the days when humans believed in wizards and dragons and heroes and powers,” he said. “I know your people have some similar mythologies.”

“But do they truly wield any power?”

“Of a sort.”

“How?”

Those eyes swiveled to skewer Danteel in their angry gaze. “Why are you asking?” And why should I answer?” The Nagai had seen that expression before. But the Captain wouldn’t beat him tonight. Not after bargaining away Mattira to save his life.

He shrugged.

Moncreif scowled. “Most of their power resides simply in their legends.”

“But not all.” It wasn’t a question.

“I won’t deny that there have been Weavers who had…unusual abilities. But Jonahn and his kind—no. They may know a trick or two about manipulating the human psyche, but that’s all they are—tricks.”

Danteel knew his next question could get him in real trouble. He asked it anyway. “So why is he hiding from his own government?”

He had been hoping for a bigger reaction than Moncreif gave. The captain shrugged. “People talk,” he said.

“And what is it they talk about?”

But Moncreif had returned to his intense study of the middle distance. “Fairy tales,” he said, and closed his eyes.

* * *

At 0307 hours, there came a knock at the wooden doors. Moncreif’s eyes snapped open and Danteel moved stiffly to open the doors, half terrified of what he would see.

It was Alita. She was dressed in slacks and a plain black blouse, but her hair was tousled and there were bags of sleeplessness beneath her eyes. She smiled wanly at the Nagai. “I didn’t think you’d be able to sleep, either.” She glanced past him. “Good evening, captain.”

“Good morning,” he returned.

“May I come in?”

“If you must.”

She entered, Danteel closing the doors behind her. Alita looked around the room for a chair and sank gratefully into the one she found. The Nagai stood before her, hands clenching and unclenching with the force of what he couldn’t ask.

She looked up at him sadly. “I don’t know. He took her into his room and locked the door. I didn’t hear anything, but the walls are thick. I’m sorry.”

For a long time Danteel just stood there, staring down at his boots, his face impossible to read. The silver pulsed in his eyes for a few seconds, then died. “Thank you,” he said, and returned to pacing.

* * *

Alita was asleep by 0500 hours, curled in the chair she had claimed. Danteel had covered her with the thin blanket from his own bed while Moncreif watched.

Two hours later, the expected knock came. The Nagai opened the doors to see a large, armored ship’s soldier standing with Mattira in his arms. She was asleep, deeply so, and as Danteel took her he felt her thin body trembling. She was dressed in a thick bed robe, of a style Danteel didn’t recognize, so it must have been Jonahn’s. Alita woke as the door slammed shut and stood, the blanket falling unheeded to the floor. She came forward and took Mattira from Danteel, gently but firmly, and the Nagai didn’t resist.

Moncreif and Danteel watched her take the girl into Mattira’s tiny cell and close the door. They looked, briefly, at each other. Then, without a word, each went into his own quarters, shut their doors, and collapsed onto their beds, each asleep before they hit the blankets.




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Esmé wrote a review...



The prologue kind-of-thing

Quote:
If you are to be my new medical officer. I expect you to have better sense than to waste my time.”
Comma instead of the first period? If not, then I suggest you take out the ;if’.

Quote:
After a few seconds of palpable tension, Captain Moncreif motioned smoothly and a burly, brown haired man, doubtless the first officer, stood.
Moncreif motioned and the guy stood? Only when Moncreif motioned? You have ‘smooth’ up there - a bit down there is ‘smoothly’. I know I’m picky here, but wouldn’t a synonym be better? -Just a suggestion, though. Also, the ‘he’ in the next sentence: it is not entirely clear who you are talking about, Moncreif or the officer.

Quote:
Even if this had not been the policy for the interstellar Navy, Lark had heard that Moncreif had an intense disdain for both aliens and women.
This sentence is bugging me… I don’t like the first part before the comma merged with the second on after it into one. Can’t say why, so you might just ignore me here, lol.

Quote:
Belatedly, he realized the captain had been trying to get his attention for the past several minutes.
Several minutes? Somehow I feel that that is much too long for Moncreif to stop at only ‘trying’

Quote:
Then he spoke in a language Lark did not know. The words were soft and almost slippery. It took Lark a moment to realize he was speaking to the Nagai.
These are terribly short sentences. I found few of them in the text as a whole, and this just kind of surprised me.

Quote:
Well, I’m sorry that I don’t speak your language but between Moncreif wanting to fry me (…)
Comma before the ‘but’?

Quote:
And then he left the room, leaving Lark alone with the Nagai.
I really don’t like sentences staring with ‘and’. I just don’t. Up there it’s not really necessary. -But that’s just a suggestion.



Okay, that’s my rather useless critique, seeing as everything has already been corrected. Loved the whole thing, by the ways!

-elein




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:32 pm
Esmé says...



... And again I read through everything that gyrfalcon wrote... Too fast, too fast!

-elein




User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 76

Donate
Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:38 am
Shadowsun says...



......

WOW.....

I can't think of anything else to say




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:38 pm
Myth says...



Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

*

As he started to walk to wards the turbolift at the end of the corridor, he felt a tap on his shoulder.


‘to wards’ = towards

She wore a white satin dress of simple cut that looked pale red in the low light of the corridor.


It is odd to have red lighting in the kitchen area, and I think it would most probably be pinkish as red and white together, I’m remembering one of my own dresses here, would make her dress a little pink coloured. But I don’t see how the dress would be ‘pale red’ in the low light, is the corridor painted red or are the bulb (or whatever lighting they use) red in colour, which would bring you back to the beginning of my paragraph. And now I’m confusing myself #_ #

“Last night, when you attacked the Governor, I Sang at you, don’t you remember? How did you block it?”


Wouldn’t that be: “I Sang to you...”

“Give me back those trays, child, I’m in no mood for games.” He took a threatening step forward. She took two steps back. “Not until you tell me.”


^^^ Separate this by a paragraph, this is both the characters speaking but it seems as if it was Danteel who spoke.

“Have a seat, Alita,” came Jonahn’s voice from the next room. Danteel heard the apprentice move to comply. He un-stacked and uncovered the trays, inhaling the fragrant steam that rose from the warmer ones. “Now,” said the Governor once the scraping of chairs had died down, “Moncreif.”

“Yes?” said the captain, making no attempt to hide his irritation. Danteel located the first course, a crisp green salad scattered with exotic vegetables, and slowly arranged the three bowls on the tray, straining to hear.

“The slave must be punished, you have to see that. Assault on a human, never mind a government official, would mean death for any alien on Locus Nova.”

“And we are not on Locus Nova,” said Moncreif smoothly. “In fact, we left orbit about three hours ago.”

Jonahn seemed startled. “Why wasn’t I informed?”

“Because I assumed you were capable of looking out a viewport,” returned the captain.


I never thought I’d actually see Moncreif trying to evade punishment on Danteel XD

“No,” said Moncreif, the word stopping Danteel in his tracks. “This is your fate being decided, you should say.”


‘say’ = stay? Or “... you should have a say...”

His entire being vibrated with the effort, and he could feel his anger blazing out as a silver glow in his eyes.


This is an improved way of stating how one could tell when Danteel was really angry.

*

Oh, the horror! I feel so sorry for Mattira, that awful man!

I think it strange that Moncreif would sacrifice Mattira, even though he happens to be cruel himself, and it seems that he treasures Danteel more than his ‘mistress’.

And I guess I was right about Alita, she does appear to be caring and I’m waiting to see what she thinks of Jonahn and the proposal of his keeping Mattira for a while. She didn’t interfere with the goings-on but you probably already have something go to with her next scene.

-- Myth




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Gassil was less than pleased to see him. “Yeah, I have the order,” she all but snapped as he stood waiting in the kitchens. “Do you have any idea how hard it is to get fresh fruit these days? I was planning on saving these, but no, we must have the pastries just so, mustn’t we?”

I’m not the one who ordered them,” said Danteel, as civilly as he could.

The cook finished stacking the covered trays. “So, what has he done to you?”

“What?”

“The Governor. Don’t be like that, the whole ship knows.”

The Nagai shrugged. “Nothing.”

“Nothing yet,” Gassil corrected. “Moncreif or no Moncreif, Jonahn will have his slice of revenge. Probably out of your back.”

“Thank you for that.”

Gassil shrugged. “Just thought you should be warned.”

“Indeed.” Carefully, Danteel lifted the heavy silver trays in his thin arms. The heat of the bottom one was so intense it nearly burned him, but he had learned to ignore pain.

Gassil’s eyes, as blue and sharp as her brother’s, evaluated him with something like respect. “You’re stronger than you look,” she said.

And frailer, thought Danteel as he strained under the weight of his load. What my people make up for in strength we loose in endurance. I’ll wager Moncreif can’t wait to see how many lashes it takes to kill a Nagai. Aloud, he said, “Thank you,” and left the kitchens.

As he started to walk to wards the turbolift at the end of the corridor, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned, assuming it was Gassil, and nearly dropped the trays when he saw Alita standing before him. She wore a white satin dress of simple cut that looked pale red in the low light of the corridor. Her brown hair was pulled back into a flowing ponytail. For a moment, Danteel just stared. He had never imagined that a human woman could be so beautiful.

“Those look heavy,” the apprentice said, stepping forward. “Let me help you.” Before the Nagai could protest, she had lifted the top two trays and began heading for the turbolift.

He hurried after her. “No,” he said, when he caught up. “You shouldn’t be here, what are you doing?”

Alita smiled. “Am I not free to walk where I wish?”

Danteel had little patience for being toyed with. He stepped out in front of her, blocking her path. “You may be,” he said, “but I’m not. If you want to help, give me back those trays and never tell Jonahn of this.”

Her smile faded. “I just wanted to talk to you.”

“Why?”

Alita shifted her weight, wouldn’t look at him.

“I said, ‘why?’” Danteel repeated, his voice gone cold. “Never met a slave before? Wanted to ask what it feels like to know you don’t so much as own the blood in your veins? Is that what you’re here for—research?”

The girl looked up at him, her face hard. “Yes, but not the kind you mean. I need to know how you resisted my Song.”

“Your what?”

“Last night, when you attacked the Governor, I Sang at you, don’t you remember? How did you block it?”

“Give me back those trays, child, I’m in no mood for games.” He took a threatening step forward. She took two steps back. “Not until you tell me.”

“I would love to,” he snarled, “if I had any idea what it is you’re talking about.”

“I’m a Song Weaver!” she shouted. “My voice has the power to manipulate better men than you, and not just men but objects, even water and fire. Tell me how you blocked my Song!”

“I didn’t know that humans still believed in magic, little girl.”

“It’s not magic,” she said, gritting her teeth. “It’s based on principles you couldn’t possibly understand.”

“Then how can you expect me to explain?”

Alita’s face softened. For the first time, she seemed uncertain. “You really don’t know?”

“I’ve been saying that, haven’t I?” Danteel more tired than angry from the encounter. “Now, will you please give me back those trays. I’d like to avoid a flogging, if that’s still possible.”

Alita shook her head. “It’s my fault you’re late, I might as well help carry them now that I have them.”

The Nagai shrugged. “Fine, come along then.”

She followed, almost meekly. “Would he…” her voice faltered, and she was once again the nervous girl he had first seen in the docking bay. “That is, Moncreif…would he really…really beat you, just for being late?”

Danteel thought about it. “Depends on how late I am, what for, my excuse, and most of all, my attitude when I do arrive. Failing any one of those…yes.”

Alita shivered as the turbolift doors closed and they began to rise. “That’s horrible,” she whispered.

The Nagai turned to face her. “You really believe that, don’t you?”

She nodded.

“Not many would.”

“Why not?”

“I thought you said you didn’t come for that kind of research,” he said, a little harsher than he had mean to.

She flinched. “I’m sorry.” For a moment, the turbolift rose in silence. “You were wrong back there,” she said quietly, “you’re not the first slave I’ve met. A lot of the courtiers and politicians back on LN own an alien or two. It’s just they always seem to treat them so well, almost like…”

“Like pets,” Danteel finished for her. “Yes, I’ve seen. Almost makes me prefer Moncreif’s way.”

“You can’t mean that.”

“Can’t I?” The turbolift doors opened onto the level of Moncreif’s apartments. Danteel stepped out, Alita followed.

“Wouldn’t you rather be well-treated and well-fed?” Wouldn’t you rather not be flogged?”

“You think those men don’t beat their slaves?” Danteel demanded as they walked.

“Well, I guess so,” she admitted. “But if—”

They had reached the outer doors of Moncreif’s suite, and the hiss as they slid open cut Alita off. “Now is not the time for this,” Danteel said as they moved towards the carved doors at the end of the anteroom. “Perhaps later we may talk, but for now—” this time it was Danteel who was cut off by the opening doors. Moncreif stood on the other side, smiling that small, terrible smile the Nagai knew and despised.

“I thought I heard you,” he said as he stepped aside to allow Danteel entrance. The Nagai took one step into his master’s quarters, and froze as he caught sight of Jonahn, reclining easily at the table that had been set up in the middle of the room.

“So good to see you again, slave,” said the Governor, his false voice straining under the weight of his hatred. “And Alita with you, this is a surprise, my girl.”

Alita, standing just behind Danteel, seemed even more shocked by the man’s presence. “Sir,” she stammered, “I didn’t…I mean, I thought…”

“And helping him with his load as well, how very…generous of you,” said Jonahn, his small eyes flashing.

“Danteel.” Moncreif’s voice shifted the Nagai’s attention back to the captain. “Take the trays—all the trays—into the back and get them ready to serve. Do it now.” There seemed more warning than threat in the words, and so Danteel obeyed without comment. He took the trays gently from Alita’s grasp and slipped back into the tiny kitchenette.

“Have a seat, Alita,” came Jonahn’s voice from the next room. Danteel heard the apprentice move to comply. He un-stacked and uncovered the trays, inhaling the fragrant steam that rose from the warmer ones. “Now,” said the Governor once the scraping of chairs had died down, “Moncreif.”

“Yes?” said the captain, making no attempt to hide his irritation. Danteel located the first course, a crisp green salad scattered with exotic vegetables, and slowly arranged the three bowls on the tray, straining to hear.

“The slave must be punished, you have to see that. Assault on a human, never mind a government official, would mean death for any alien on Locus Nova.”

“And we are not on Locus Nova,” said Moncreif smoothly. “In fact, we left orbit about three hours ago.”

Jonahn seemed startled. “Why wasn’t I informed?”

“Because I assumed you were capable of looking out a viewport,” returned the captain. “Danteel, the first course.”

The Nagai jerked into action, lifting the tray and pushing against the swing-door with a shoulder. The three of them were seated around a circular table that took up most of the room. Danteel set out the salads and made as if to retire back to the kitchenette. “No,” said Moncreif, the word stopping Danteel in his tracks. “This is your fate being decided, you should say.”

Jonahn was aghast. “Moncreif, how do you dare!”

“He is my property, sir,” said the captain calmly. “What I do with my property is my choice.”

Jonahn just barely managed to keep control of his façade. “Well, of course,” he said, trying to sound casual.

“You were saying,” prompted Moncreif.

“Yes, yes,” said the Governor. “You have to see the scum must be punished, and human court would give him the death sentence. But…” A smile more terrible than even the captain’s spread across his face. “I propose a trade. I will drop all charges against your slave, if, in return, you give me your mistress, Mattira, for the night.”

The captain rose faster than an explosive going off. “Never!” he roared, his sudden action scattering his salad across the table.

“It’s a generous proposal,” said the governor, sounding rather miffed. Danteel was using every ounce of willpower he had to hold back his body from committing murder. His entire being vibrated with the effort, and he could feel his anger blazing out as a silver glow in his eyes.

“Think about it,” the Governor said, “it’s not like I want to keep her forever. Just one night, and she’s yours again. And there will be no trouble over your Nagai, no reports, no charges, no worries. It is a very generous offer.”

“Why?” demanded Moncreif. “Why this?”

The Governor shrugged. “That is not your concern. I promise to return her in the morning no worse for wear. But I want her tonight, Moncreif.”

“Why?” the captain hissed again.

Again, Jonahn shrugged.

“No.” All eyes turned to Danteel, standing just in front of the swing door. “No. Leave her alone. Take whatever vengeance you like on me, whatever torture you can devise, I will endure it. But leave her alone.”

Jonahn laughed. “You’re very eloquent, for a slave,” he said, chuckling. “Why risk your life to save the honor of a woman who’s a whore already?”

Danteel lunged at him, his muscles acting before his mind could intervene. Before he had taken a second step, however, his way was blocked by Moncreif. The captain grabbed Danteel’s wrists and twisted, rubbing against skin already made raw by chains. The Nagai hissed in pain and tried to pull back, but his master had him in a grip stronger than iron. “You will not interfere.” He spoke in Nagian, but the promise of pain was as solid as his grip. “All you’re doing is making it worse.”

“Don’t let him,”
Danteel was pleading, but he didn’t care. “Don’t let him.

“I have no choice.”


Danteel gave a grim smile. “I thought that was my job.”

“Swear to me you won’t attack him again.”


The Nagai was silent.

Moncreif twisted harder. “Swear to me.”

Again, Danteel’s breath came in a sharp hiss. “I will not attack him again…tonight.”

The captain released him. “Good enough.” He turned to Jonahn. “I accept.”




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:58 pm
Myth says...



Things make a lot more sense when Myth's brain overloads. I look forward to reading more. :D




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:56 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Ahhhhhhhhhh, makes much more sense now, thank you darling. I shall do what I can to make everything more clear. Yes, when he's angry, Danteel's black eyes start to show a pinprik of silver light in the center, and then the silver grows until it's something like a blaze-shaped pupil in the center of his eye. I'll do my best to put it in more understandable terms.




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:24 pm
Myth wrote a review...



Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

*

He had written the name large enough to take up the whole center of the sheet and Mattira was right, it did look more like and abstract painting than anything.


‘and’ = an

I am amazed, I have nothing to critique expect for that typo! Anyway, this scene, although short, is bringing out Mattira’s character. I agree with DD’s points, I really should get on more so I’ll be able to post first XD, she laughs for the first time and it seemed something impossible for one who had suffered for how long, I don’t know.

I especially loved the writing and how Danteel wouldn’t write his as it was on his collar like a dog-tag.

*

Now I’ll try to answer what you asked in your PM.

The combined effect of those eyes was to force Danteel to stand against his will.


My comment: I was a little confused here. Was Danteel sitting and the two slightly varying colours were supposed to make him stand or did they make him stand?

His blood pounded, and he felt his eyes start to blaze silver.


My comment: I don’t think I understand the part where it says ‘blaze silver’. As Danteel has black eyes you could compare it to something dark, like burning coal or something (I don’t know how I came up with that terrible example), anyway you get the idea, unless I misunderstood the meaning of ‘blaze silver’.

But he took a deep breath, dropped his gaze, and corrected the silverware.


My comment: Well, after reading this I was thinking the silverware was being reflected in his eye or he could not take his eyes off the silver, am I along the right lines? (Help?)

Gry: About the Danteel's eyes thing, in the section with Lark I mention him (Lark) getting really freaked out because, when Danteel was angry, a blaze of silver color rose from the center of his solid black eyes. If I didn't describe that well enough, do you have any suggestions about improving it?

'blaze silver' -- I was thinking you were trying to describe asort of fire in Dantee;'s eye because of his anger, so I believed 'silver' was the wrong colour to use since Danteel's eyes were black. Do you follow so far? My next comment was in regard of the silverware, I had thought the silverware was reflected in his eyes which was what the 'blaze silver' meant.

I think, to clear it up, you could have Lark watching him and describing what he saw, something like: A strange silver light passed over the Nagai's / Danteel's eyes and, for a moment, Lark was stunned and stared closely at Danteel.

That way the reader sees it from Lark's point of view, by the way, was he present during that scene? I checked my saved version and Lark isn't mentioned in the scene because this must be from Danteel's past, when the doctor had not come on board the ship.

The combined effect of those eyes was to force Danteel to stand against his will -- I am still unsure what was supposed to happen here. We got the image of Danteel sitting on the floor because a rat had perched there. And when Moncreif came in, Danteel didn't stand. But you described his eyes, both shades of green, and I think you were trying to say the sight of them forced and/or made Danteel notice something about this strange man and he stood.

I think my brain has overloaded now, hope it made sense now. But I can try to think of a few suggestions for the above sentence when I have more time.

-- Myth




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:55 pm
gyrfalcon says...



*bows* thanks again, my lady. I shall integrate this into the main draft, along with Myth's comments, and will try to have everything finished by tonight




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:14 pm
Dream Deep says...



I gave you the running commentary of this in the chat, but I'll put the more salient points down here. ^_^ Overall, this was a great chapter (of course, why do I even bother to say it anymore?). ;)

A few minor points to make with the wording:

Gyrfalcon wrote: Danteel’s brain felt heavy, as if stuffed with unprocessed cotton. “What…?” he faltered. “What happened?”


The comparison seemed a bit forced. I take it Danteel doesn't know, exactly, how it feels to have a brain stuffed with unprocessed cotton. ^_~ Nor does the reader, for that matter, so he/she can't exactly identify with his feelings. I would advise finding a different way of writing this.

Here:

Mattira hid her dazzling smile behind a delicate hand. “Moncreif is furious.”


It seems, here, with Mattira, that you're trying a bit too hard, beauty-wise. ^_~ It seems to me that the way her character is written... she's of a very subtle and unapparent (inner) beauty. Her looks creep up on the reader and grow on them suddenly, they don't think about it all at once, but when asked to describe her, they see someone beautiful. This is a little too much here, at once: the delicate hand, the dazzling smile. You don't want to puch her on the reader, physically. ^_^

I love her interactions with Danteel. This is the first time we've seen her happy, laughing - I really liked Mattira in this chapter. She's so human and just... so sweet. You're doing exceedingly well with her. I love the scene in the office, when he's writing her name. It flows so naturally, it pulled me right along. Beautiful, Gyr.

The girl brushed a hand lightly over the word, and she lifted the paper as gently as if it would crumble. “Thank you,” she breathed.

He put a hand on her shoulder. “You’re welcome.


The ending you have been better without that last "You're welcome". It seems so formal in what has been an unguarded, rather personal scene. I would still keep Danteel's action in there, just get rid of the last dialogue. Maybe he nods to her instead? Maybe he smiles? The undercurrents in this scene are just so pronounced and deep, the formal "You're welcome" throws it off.

Loved it. ^_^ I don't know why you worry so much about this, Gyr, you've really got it nailed right on. *hugs*




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:41 pm
gyrfalcon says...



When Danteel woke up, he was lying on his side, and there was something dabbing at the back of his head. For a moment he couldn’t remember, and then the throbbing pain in his skull caught up with him, and he jerked upright. Dazzling lights exploded before his eyes and the pain elevated from a throb to an agony. He lay down again, very carefully.

He was in his cell, his face towards the bulkhead. Cautiously, without turning around, he identified his attendant, “Mattira?”

A light touch on his shoulder and he shifted, bringing her face into view. She was smiling, the expression bright as a nova and twice as warm. “Hello there,” she said.

Danteel’s brain felt heavy, unable to function. “What…?” he faltered. “What happened?”

“You don’t remember?”

Enough of the Nagai’s ragged thoughts came together to form a complete sentence. “I was…in the quarters with Jonahn and that girl. She was…singing, and then, I think he came around behind and hit me.”

Mattira covered her smiling mouth with a hand. “Moncreif is furious.”

Danteel blinked. “But my back doesn’t hurt.” He paused, considered. “At least, no more than usual.”

At this Mattira laughed out loud. The sound stunned Danteel; it carried none of the emptiness he had seen in her, none of the pain her life now held. “Not at you!” she said, still smiling. “At the Governor.”

For a moment, her fading giggles were the only sounds to be heard. Then, as if probing the edge of a quicksand pit, he said, “Why?”

“It’s his biggest rule,” she explained. “No one so much as touches his slaves without his express permission. No matter what.”

Danteel processed this in silence for a moment. “What did he do, then?”

“Oh, I wasn’t there,” Mattira clarified quickly. “I just know he’s angry because, well, I saw his face when he brought you in.”

He brought me back?” the Nagai demanded, stunned. “Personally?”

Mattira nodded. “He carried you in his arms; you looked so lifeless that for a moment I was afraid you were dead.”

Danteel felt a shiver crawl across his flesh, and he wasn’t sure if it was revulsion or gratitude. “Where is his now?”

“On duty,” she said.

“And we…”

“He didn’t leave any instructions. Oh, except that you’re to go fetch dinner tonight from Gassil, she’s supposed to have it ready. Apparently he’s dining with the guests tonight.”

“When?”

“He said at 1900 hours.”

Slowly, mindful of his aching head, he rose. “What time is it?” he asked.

“About 1705,” she said. “You slept for a long time.”

Why was she singing? One of the few things he remembered clearly was Alita, standing between him and Jonahn, singing, as if her voice alone could stop him. “Do you know what ‘Weavers’ might mean to humans?” he asked Mattira.

She shrugged. “I’ve heard it a few times. Word Weaver, Song Weaver, Mind Weaver, things like that. I don’t really know what they mean.”

Mind Weavers. Jonahn had called himself a “Word Weaver,” and if Alita was any kind at all, it was Song. But Mind Weavers… “What are we to do until dinner, then?” he asked.

Again, Mattira shrugged, “Just don’t leave.” Danteel had never seen her without either Moncreif or the threat of him nearby. And it crashed on him, suddenly, that she couldn’t be much older than sixteen.

And he found, much to his disgust and horror, that he wasn’t sure what to do with himself until 1900.

He strode out of his cell, into the main space of Moncreif’s quarters—the office that connected to the anteroom one came in by. He glanced around the spartan room—Moncreif had not so much as a picture or memento of home on any of the shelves—and sat, deliberately, in his master’s leather desk chair. Mattira, who had followed him, puzzled, gasped. “What are you doing?” she demanded, horrified.

Danteel kicked the exquisite wood desk with his booted feet, sending the chair spinning. “Being impertinent,” he said. He pressed his always-sore back against the well-made leather, the pain flowing almost sweetly over him. Abruptly he stopped his spin, and opened the top drawer of the desk. “Paper,” he said, surprised. “I didn’t know the Realm used it anymore.”

“Most don’t,” said Mattira, practically vibrating with tension as she closed the door to Danteel’s cell and came towards him. “Now, please, close the drawer and get up. If he sees you…” Her voice faded. She didn’t need to finish the sentence.

For a moment, Danteel focused his entire attention on the girl. “I will not have him, or fear of him, rule my every moment, Mattira. Nor should you.”

She dropped her eyes, didn’t answer.

Danteel sighed. He leaned forward and placed one hand gently over her scarred arm. She didn’t flinch, so he said softly, “You can’t let him win.”

“Too late,” she said, her voice little more than a whisper.

“Never,” he hissed, his hand tightening on her arm. She winced and pulled back. He let her go. “I’m sorry.”

Mattira didn’t respond.

Danteel drew out a clean white sheet of paper and rummaged around until he found an old-fashioned pen. It was beautiful, made of flawless steel shaped like an ancient feather quill. “Shall I write your name in Nagian?” he asked kindly.

She shifted closer. “I suppose so.”

Danteel molded his thin fingers around the pen meant for a larger hand. How long had it been since he had written this way, ink to paper, thought to form? Mentally, he translated the letters of Mattira’s name into the characters of his language, and wrote. She leaned over his shoulder. “It looks more like a painting than a word,” she said.

“I’m writing in the old language,” he said. “None but the nobility learns or uses it anymore; it never was very practical. There.” He lifted the pen and set it carefully aside. He had written the name large enough to take up the whole center of the sheet and Mattira was right, it did look more like and abstract painting than anything.

“Your name is lucky,” he told her as she studied the drying ink with fascination.

“It is?”

“Yes. See, where these two characters touch to form the ‘ra’ sound?” He pointed. “That shape is shorthand for ‘favorable beauty,’ ‘resst akharam’ in Nagian, you see?”

She touched the characters he indicated, almost as if she were afraid the marks would vanish. “May I keep it?”

He smiled for the first time in weeks. “Of course.”

She smiled as well, and again the expression was full of light. “What about your name? Would you write it for me?”

Danteel’s smile turned bitter. “You can see it right here,” he said, and touched the ruby-ringed disc in the center of his collar. There his name was spelled in perfect Old Nagian, the lines depicted in flawless jet.

Mattira’s smile faltered. “I’m sorry.”

He managed to force his smile out of bitterness. “Nothing to apologize for,” he told her.

The girl brushed a hand lightly over the word, and she lifted the paper as gently as if it would crumble. “Thank you,” she breathed.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:28 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Myth: *bows, bows bows* Again, imensely helpful, darling!!! Not sure what else to say besides that--thank you so much! I will do my best to work these in over the weekend, I hope on Monday you will find the whole thing quite improved. One question, though (Imp mentioned this to) how do I do "page breaks"?




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:27 pm
Myth says...



Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

*

Mattira let out a soft cry and threw up her free arm to ward of the light.


‘of’ = off

His face was, if possible, thinner than ever before, the cheekbones jutting out and the eye hollows sunken, so that his already-haunting black eyes were now positively wraith-like. The black hair that he had allowed to grow long had been drastically trimmed. It no longer brushed his neck, but was now close-cut, molded around his head. His back-sweeping, pointed ears were clearly visible, white as pearl against the inky black of his hair.


The repetition of ‘black’ was a little unnecessary, you can replace the first with ‘dark’ and, perhaps, take out the second.

At first, when the urgent shaking awoke Danteel, for a moment he didn’t know where he was. For a moment, he thought it was Krieve pulling him from sleep, but then gray eyes became green ones before his vision and he erupted out of bed.


I think it odd to have ‘At first’ and ‘for a moment’ in the same sentence stringed together. Reading this, the part of ‘for a moment’ doesn’t connect with ‘at first’ so you ought to take ‘for a moment’ out and keep the repeated version for the start of the next sentence.

“Who’s here?” the Nagai snarled, suppressing the desire to shout. This man ruled all his waking moments, but he now invade Danteel’s sleep as well?


‘invade’ = invades/invavded?

Danteel had never seen his master to agitated.


‘to’ = so?

Danteel came and inclined his head slightly towards the man, as if to hear him better.


‘came’ = went

*

1) Character

Lark – The reader only gets a glimpse of Lark, he introduces the story with his first day on Avarice and already through him we can see that the captain, Moncreif, is most probably a cruel, hard man from the way he stares at Lark. I’m not too sure whether I like Lark or not, sure he pities Danteel but there was something about him that was not right, maybe because there is not too much on his background but that’s my opinion—which may change later on if Lark happens to re-emerge.

Danteel – Everyone feels sorry for this guy, and I in turn do so too. As I said in the previous entry about his character strength I really don’t have much else to say at this moment. Am I correct in remembering you stated (somewhere) that he is a ‘villain’? If so, then I am curious as to how it goes for him.

Mon – Ugh, the baddie. But I don’t know, I can’t explain why I find myself more interested in him than any of the other characters. It isn’t just because he is the ‘evil master’ but because he doesn’t appear to have any emotions apart from hate and anger. Even as he beats Danteel, I got the impression he was not satisfied, as if nothing could ever please him. A seriously messed up guy, he really needs his head check.

Mattira – I think it was DD who described her as ‘broken’ and I agree. I was also unclear of what to think about her, like Lark, possibly because she was in two different characters with Danteel and the blonde woman (can’t remember the name) and when she was before Mon and Danteel. She is gentle—she helps to ease Danteel’s pain even though it would, and maybe did, get her in trouble. She vaguely gives an idea of how different her punishment is just by her dress and the scars on her shoulder.

Jonahn and Alita – I had thought Jonahn would be an ally of Danteel. Boy, was I wrong. He spites Moncreif with his false voice, the way he teases the captain and his reaction to Danteel. It was from the moment he spoke of the Nagai that I knew he wasn’t in any way going to be kind and his action, grabbing Danteel’s collar, proved this further. Alita was also another person who surprised me—I had thought she too was a sort of slave (it was the part where it said: “Danteel stiffened. He had heard that tone before, that quiet not of subservient fear.”). Maybe she isn’t in league with Jonahn but has to follow his orders and the song threw me off, reminded me of hypnosis.

2) Dialogue

I’ve completely forgotten what I was going to say, I was thinking through In Thrall early this morning and was going to mention something. It’ll come back to me but in the meanwhile I thought Mon’s shorter conversations were, well, mystifying. Sometimes it appeared as though he would like to say something else but didn’t, maybe because he doesn’t want to reveal anything about himself, or he only strikes a longer conversation when he has something important, perhaps to himself, to say.

I think it was Mon and Danteel’s first meeting that always plays in my mind, I really liked how natural Mon was at that point.

3) Description

As I said before, try not to describe Danteel’s eyes so much. You generally use description for characters, there isn’t much on their surroundings so many times it was as if there were a bunch of people in weird spaces who came and went like actors on stage. Although the characters move about the places around them don’t, I mentioned previously about how their surroundings just were not jumping out. Take time to give it a little more thought, just a few details on the layout of colour scheme: Are the halls wide and whitewashed, narrow and dimly lit, or do some vary depending on what part of the ship they are in? Are some rooms rounded, how does a person enter if it is locked or do slaves have no privacy?

These are just a few questions, they may not all apply for you but some of them might.

I hope that was of some help, my mind is wondering off to my own work so I’ll leave you to mull over my critique and thoughts.

-- Myth




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:04 am
Myth says...



You're always welcome and here is more.

*

Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

*

Eventually they came to a pair of perfectly ordinary sliding doors which led into an anything-but-ordinary ante room.


‘ante room’ = anteroom

He felt blood beneath his nails, his own blood, but he was oblivious to all but the cold, solid metal of the collar.


Since the collar is made of metal and the parts put together are still emitting heat then it wouldn’t be ‘cold’, it is still hot enough to maybe give him a slight burn.

And then he released him and Danteel fell, landing hard on his knees. His hand began to move once more towards the collar but one of the soldiers raised his rifle and Danteel’s hand stopped mid-motion. “You’ll get used to it,” said Moncreif, wiping his hands on his trousers as if he had touched something vile. “At least, you’d better.”

[Here is where your scene changes]

Danteel set out the platters of food on the table as Moncreif watched him, reclining against one wall with his arms crossed. The Nagai could still feel the burn from having the ends of the collar welded together, but he ignored it. “No,” Moncreif corrected as Danteel placed the silverware carelessly, “fork on the right.”


The trouble with this was the lack of a page break, I copied the whole thing off and I was reading about Danteel receiving his collar and suddenly he is somewhere else and it was a bit of a shock, only because I had thought the two scenes were one. So use page breaks. By the way this is much better than the previous entry I managed to see from DD’s critique :)

His blood pounded, and he felt his eyes start to blaze silver.


I don’t think I understand the part where it says ‘blaze silver’. As Danteel has black eyes you could compare it to something dark, like burning coal or something (I don’t know how I came up with that terrible example), anyway you get the idea, unless I misunderstood the meaning of ‘blaze silver’.

But he took a deep breath, dropped his gaze, and corrected the silverware.


Well, after reading this I was thinking the silverware was being reflected in his eye or he could not take his eyes off the silver, am I along the right lines? (Help?)

And again everything within him roared at the word, screaming Kill, kill, kill the sheczkall, the enslaver.


Perhaps you should have the parts in italics in quotation marks?

He watched them, officers in the Navy of the Realm all, tucking into the food and clenched his hands into fists.


That second comma is out of place or maybe the ‘all’ should be moved before ‘officers’: He watched them, all officers in the Navy of the Realm, tucking into the food and clenched his hands into fists / He watched them, officers in the Navy of the Realm, all tucking into the food and clenched his hands into fists.

Before he could get the curse out, however, he was grabbed roughly by the two guards that had been standing at either side of the door.


My Word and I don’t get along and so it won’t accept the last parts of your sentences and, after reading your edition and Word’s, I think I quite agree with this suggestion: ... however, the two guards that had been standing at either side of the door grabbed him roughly.

Or you can always spite Word by finding a much better sentence ;)

Danteel folded in, groaning slightly. “Turn him around, keep him down,” commanded Moncreif as he carefully rolled up his sleeves. He tossed a few coins to the blonde man. “Less than five minutes, Daxon, you win this bet.”

The man, Daxon, scooped up the coins as the guards forced Danteel’s back to Moncreif and shoved him to his knees. “May a man make a second wager on the same subject?” asked Daxon calmly.

“What did you have in mind?” asked Moncreif as he cracked his whip experimentally.

“This is his first flogging, yes? I say he screams after ten lashes.”

Moncreif snorted. “Twelve, at least. This one’s stubborn.”

“They’re all stubborn at the beginning,” said one of the others, the comment eliciting chuckles from around the room. “I say only five; he’s thin as a skeleton and twice as frail.”


Oh dear, poor Danteel. To this point he has been so defiant and tough, even the burn from his collar was like a nasty ‘surprise’ than pain and here I just know something horrible is going to take place. Those bloody rascals! What makes it even worse is the fact that Danteel can hear them and, perhaps, see these cruel men who are out to win money over a flogging.

Most of the rest of the room placed bets on how long Danteel would hold out, the highest wager going to fifteen lashes from someone with a voice he didn’t recognize.


Maybe begin the sentence with ‘By now...’ and continue from there?

As the soldiers calmly ripped his thin white shirt away, leaving his thin white back exposed, he said coolly, “May the subject of the wager place a bet?”


Usually I’d be telling you not to be repetitious but here it seems to work, however, if you feel like changing it that’s up to you. This is the first time I haven’t ranted about repetition. I think ;)

He felt the blood from his tongue spray out with the expulsion of air, but—thanks the stars—no sound.


‘thanks’ = thank

“Get it out of here,” he commanded, and the stone-like hands [s]again[/s] grabbed him again and lifted him up(?).


^^^ See quote

Danteel surged forward, his hands going for his master’s throat.


I didn’t like the ‘his master’s’ in there, it appears as if Danteel has accepted Moncreif as his master, if I was a slave I know I would call him/her by his/her name when referring to him/her but I’d never bring myself to call him/her master/mistress. So, you can make that ‘the captain’s throat’, that way it makes Danteel still rebellious to the whole master/slave situation.

*

Hello again, Gry!

Swish crack! Fourteen. Nearly there, he was nearly there.

“All I can say for sure is that I know you and I are bound to each other, our fates tied together until death.”

Then let me be that death! screamed Danteel in his mind. False friend, traitor, Krieve!

Again and again and again the whip came down, and somehow Danteel did not cry out. With every lash he felt the freezing hate inside him grow, not the fire-red rage towards Moncreif, but a far harder, far more enduring vendetta. Vengeance.

Swish crack! Twenty. The arms released him and he dropped, making no effort to stop his fall and hitting the metal floor hard. He could hear Moncreif’s labored breathing above him, and could imagine his master, forehead shiny with sweat, glaring at him.


For me the best part that I liked was this section of the whipping scene, not because it was cruel but the fact that Danteel was blocking the pain with his thoughts and memories of a certain character and it is as though he doesn’t realise the he is being flogged, you count from fourteen to twenty, time passing quickly without Danteel becoming conscious of it. That’s my opinion of it anyway. And the other thing is you didn’t make him some pathetic loser who mopped around needing sympathy—something Sam said about one of my characters—and this makes him, say, brave (would that be the right word to use?)

I thought I recognised thi scene, it was from your Born of the Stars (which I have yet to finish reading).

I’ll continue the critique with the final review of my thoughts/impressions on characters and such.

-- Myth




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:34 pm
gyrfalcon says...



*bows* Myth, darling, you have the sharpest eyes I know--thank you for deinging to turn them on me! Your catches have been saved to a very safe place, and shall be mulled over and integrated soon. *bows again*




User avatar
820 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 820

Donate
Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:56 pm
Myth wrote a review...



Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

*

Danteel had been Moncreif’s slave over seven years before I came to the Avarice. I was very young then, especially for an officer and a doctor; I think he was thirty-three, but he naturally looked much older. I’m not a storyteller and, to be honest, this really isn’t my story, it’s his. But someone needs to tell it, and for one reason or another, he considered me a friend. I think I have the honor to be the only human he addressed as such. You will enter events when and where I did, that first day of duty under Captain Moncreif, master of the Avarice and much else besides.


Nowadays I seem to find first paragraphs one of the most important parts to a story and I have to say reading this reminded me of historical novels, it isn’t a bad thing by the way, and I just loved it. I wanted to read the whole thing and didn’t care for the length (23 pages #_ #) simply because that intro was wonderful!

Lark Erabon stumbled late into the conference room, running his fingers through his recently cropped black hair, straightening the new uniform that didn’t quite fit despite his average build.


I’m not too sure but I think ‘build’ should be ‘built’. Correct me if I’m mistaken.

The other officers in the room looked at him with expressions ranging from pity to scorn. They’re glad it’s not them being fried, Lark thought. They’re glad he’s got a new target.


Maybe it is just me but I can relate to this so I know exactly how Lark feels, good job on that.

Lark’s head swiveled to face the captain, who was looking at him as if Lark were and insect he would like very much to squash.


‘and’ = an

Moncreif inclined his head to indicate that Lark should follow. Scrambling out of his chair, Lark followed.


This is just a suggestion but you might not want to edit this part. I thought ‘follow’ and ‘followed’ were just a little repetitious especially as each ended the two sentences. You could have something like ‘Lark did so,’ or ‘Lark obeyed the silent command,’?

He cleared his throat. “[s]Ahem. [/s]So, what’s your name?”


I think the ‘Ahem’ is unnecessary as you already have Lark clearing his throat.

Per haps he didn’t speak Basic.


^^^ ‘Per haps’ shouldn’t have a space between it :)

Lark came.


‘came’ seems out of place here, wouldn’t it be ‘went’ as he is going from his room to another location?

His disgust translated easily in to anger, and he turned to his captain. “You bastard.”


‘in to’ = into

He pressed dozens of med-patches against his back to stoop the bleeding, and succeeded at last.


‘stoop’ = stop

When he was finally done, he was also(?) covered in blood, but Danteel was breathing normally.


^^^ See quote

Danteel lay on his stomach, his black eyes watching as Lark emerged from the ‘fresher, clean of blood and wearing a dressing gown.


What is this ‘fresher’? After reading a couple of times over I thought it was something like a shower room, etc. If that’s the case the apostrophe should look like a 9: ’

The creature’s pink eyes glowed red in the darkness, and its wicked little yellow teeth just missed the Nagai’s thin white fingers.


Here is something I’ve always wondered about: does the colour of a creature/animal eye really show up in the dark? Unless it is like a cat’s then I don’t think it will. If it is more than just a white rat you can find on Earth then I’m sure it would be different, you might want to give a little detail so it isn’t confused with a normal rat, but if it is the same then I don’t suppose a rat’s eyes shine in the dark.

The combined effect of those eyes was to force Danteel to stand against his will.


I was a little confused here. Was Danteel sitting and the two slightly varying colours were supposed to make him stand or did they make him stand?

He still had to look up slightly to look the man in the face.


Its icky reading ‘look’ twice (and icky is a horrible word but I couldn’t describe it in any other way). Perhaps change the second ‘look’ to ‘stare’? Or something else?

*

Firstly: That was brilliant, as I have said before, and it was the beginning that really did it for me.

Secondly: I think you tend to repeat a few things like Danteel’s ‘black eyes’. You could not describe them as ‘black’ and just use his eyes or his stares, etc.

Thirdly: Danteel didn’t seem to like Mon (can I call Moncreif that?) from the start, it is as if he can tell what a person is like from their appearance or whatever ( he also knew Lark was the sort who would help him out).

Lastly: You may notice I didn’t really give much of a review, I’ll be doing that later as I want to get to know the other characters and this world you have set up. One thing I noticed was the lack of description of the conference room, it didn’t really feel as if they were on a ship. If I didn’t know the Avarice was a ship I would have thought they were on a military base or Mon’s house somewhere.

Someone might have mentioned this (I haven't read anyone elses critiques) but you might want to have page breaks as it was confusing to know what was happening when.

That’s it for now. I’ll get on to it later tonight or tomorrow.

-- Myth




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:16 pm
Dream Deep says...



This moved right along, Gyr and it brought out new aspects of both Moncreif and Danteel - then ending was cruelly devised, there should be a law against leaving readers hanging like that. ^_~

The first line is a bit awkwardly constructed:

Gyrfalcon wrote:Danteel hardly ever dreamed, and so it was strange that, when the urgent shaking awoke him, for a moment he didn't know where he was.


I wouldn't start out with stating that Danteel dreamed unless you plan to mention the dream again at some point later in the sentence or paragraph - but as it is, you only tell us that he didn't know where he was. ... Though he wouldn't need to have dreamed for that to happen, would he? I would cut the part about the dream (and ergo how strange 'it was'); it divides the readers' attention. ^_~

Gyrfalcon wrote:As the Nagai watched the man approach the welcoming party, however, he noticed something. The guest’s walk betrayed him—no matter how hard he tried to hide it with his outfit or appearance, this man had seen battle. It was there in the steady, deliberate swinging of the legs, never using too much energy but moving with a confidence that said they’d outrun death more than once.


Perhaps it's the "steady, deliberate swinging of the legs" that throws it off. But something seems wrong with that description. It makes the reader think of the man's legs and not the man as a person. Maybe there's some other way of describing his walk? ... Something to the effect of "The guest's walk betrayed him - no matter how hard he tried to hide it with his outfit ['and appearance' is a bit redundant], the way he held himself made it obvious that he had seen battle. The way he moved - never using too much energy, but with confidence - suggested that he could outrun death if he had to; that he had before."


The best part about this chapter was how totally the majority of the characters (but for Mattira, who was absent) changed places with each other. The Governor becomes the main antagonist by the end and Moncreif almost appears to ally with Danteel against a common enemy. (Of course, we'll see how that works out when he finds out that Danteel attacked his guest ^_~). The two of them speaking Nagai in front of Jonahn - more specifically, Moncreif warning Danteel in Nagai in front of Jonahn was excellent. We being to see Moncreif acting in a situation that doesn't involve cruelty to Danteel - here Moncreif is the one dreading someone else, and it's a nice juxtaposition.

Gyrfalcon wrote:Moncreif’s shoulders lost a little of their stiffness. “I suppose not,” he conceded. Then, to Danteel, “Take care of them. If you do this well and report what they say to me, I might give you the time to regain this lost sleep. Do you understand me?”


Even better - Danteel is Moncreif's agent behind enemy lines, so to speak. ^_~ And for once, Moncreif is not taking his fury out causelessly on Danteel, he's giving him a job to do. This doesn't endear Moncreif to the reader, of course, but it offers a new side to this character. It makes the reader aware that he is disconcerted by this man, and that fear is a weakness of his. I'm hoping Danteel picks up on this at some point and uses it to his advantage. ^_~

The Governor's dialogue with Alita seemed very natural, while Danteel was serving the drinks. Jonahn's unprovoked attack was shocking, unpredicted. The singing was a bit confusing, but I take it that will be explained in more depth later on.

Very good on this chapter, Gyr; I look forward to more. ;)


EDIT: Something I just thought of, on the entire reread - throughout, Danteel does a lot of hissing and snarling. ^_~ Which is fine, but if you wanted to get rid of therepetition, you might want to find different verbs. ^_^




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:41 pm
gyrfalcon says...



At first, when the urgent shaking awoke Danteel, he didn’t know where he was. For a moment, he thought it was Krieve pulling him from sleep, but then gray eyes became green ones before his vision and he erupted out of bed. “Moncreif!”

“Shut up!” the human growled, shoving him back to a sitting position. “I don’t have time for this now, Danteel, we need to hurry. He’s here, stars damn him, he’s here almost two days early.”

“Who’s here?” the Nagai snarled, suppressing the desire to shout. This man ruled all his waking moments, must he now invade Danteel’s sleep as well?

“Our guest, you idiot, the one I told you about last night. His shuttle’s docking as we speak, now get up and get dressed.”

Danteel had never seen his master so agitated. True, Moncreif was angry almost all the time, but it was a cold, controlled kind of anger. The kind of anger that led a man to make small-talk while he skillfully turned your back into a flayed slab of meat. Someone powerful enough to make this man break a sweat was someone Danteel had to see, if only for his own sense of battered but functioning curiosity.

He stood and pulled on one of his sleeveless white tunics, tucking it into the brown slacks he slept in. Then, slipping his feet into a pair of boots, he said, “Well, let’s go then.”

* * *

The shuttle was a beautiful thing, small, sleek, and supple, like a silver fish gliding gently out of the blackness of space. There was only the very barest thump when it set down, and the hiss as the docking ramp lowered.

Danteel stood just behind the captain’s left shoulder, along with the dozen or so soldiers who had been on night duty, and had been hastily commanded into dress armor. Moncreif also had put on his best dress uniform, all sable and black leather and silver rank cylinders. He stood as perfectly still as if he had been frozen by his own barely suppressed anger.

And then the guest emerged.

Danteel had to admit, in the privacy of his own mind, that it was an anticlimax. A small, balding, and vaguely round man descended the ramp, with a well-dressed young woman at his side. He wasn’t even in a military uniform, but was attired in expensive and, in Danteel’s opinion, tasteless civilian clothes.

As the Nagai watched the man approach the welcoming party, however, he noticed something. The guest’s walk betrayed him—no matter how hard he tried to hide it with his outfit or appearance, this man had seen battle. It was there in the steady, deliberate swinging of the legs, never using too much energy but moving with a confidence that said they’d outrun death more than once.

The man and his companion stopped a few feet away from Moncreif, and the captain bowed. Danteel could see how hard the gesture was for him, could see the stiff muscles resisting this necessary bit of ceremony. The Nagai smiled, just barely, and made his own bow a fraction higher than Moncreif’s. “Welcome, Governor,” said the captain. “I…apologize that there is not a full honor guard here to meet you, but you did take us slightly by surprise. We had not looked for you until the end of the week.”

The guest laughed and slapped Moncreif heartily on the back. Danteel winced, imagining what such a gesture would do to his own back.

“Sorry for the early arrival, captain, but you know how things go.” Even the voice was full of the lie: Danteel would have sworn the man had learned that tone of oblivious joviality.

“Yes indeed, sir,” Moncreif said, the word grating on him. “But I’m afraid your quarters are not yet ready, and,” here he turned to the man’s companion and his attitude changed slightly, “we were not expecting you to bring…another.”

“This is Alita, my latest apprentice,” the Governor explained. “Say hello to the captain, ‘Lita.”

She bowed, her long brown hair spilling off her shoulders as she did so. “It is an honor to meet you, sir,” she said softly.

Danteel stiffened. He had heard that tone before, that quiet not of subservient fear. In Mattira’s voice. But perhaps here it was different, the man had called her his apprentice, hadn’t he, and maybe humans showed respect differently in that situation.

Moncreif inclined his head slightly. “Thank you,” he said. “So you’re Jonahn’s apprentice, are you? I thought he gave that business up after they gave him Shinjara.”

The Nagai started. He had heard that word before, it was one of the five provinces of Locus Nova, the new human homeworld. Governor…if this man ruled Shinjara, then he was one of the most powerful and wealthy humans alive.

The man, Jonahn, laughed again, his fake mirth starting to crack. “Can’t let all my secrets die with me, eh?” he said. “As to my quarters, I believe you promised me an office adjacent to my chamber? She can stay there, just pull out a sleeping pad and she should be all right.”

“Yes,” said Moncreif through his teeth, “but in fact your quarters themselves are not fully prepared yet. My slave had only just begun the process this evening.”

Jonahn seemed to notice Danteel for the first time. For once, his reaction seemed genuine. “By Sol, Moncreif, you have a Nagai!”

Danteel could see the tight little shiver of pleasure this exclamation gave his master, and he scowled. “Yes,” said Moncreif coolly, “got him about a month ago. Next to impossible to tame, of course, but I’m making progress.” He flashed the Nagai a brief look. “We have…an understanding.”

The guest regained his mask of stupidity quickly. “Very rare, yes? I hear you can even speak their language. Do a few words for me, won’t you?”

“Don’t let him fool you,” said Moncreif in Nagian, looking at Jonahn but speaking to Danteel. “There’s more to him than you think.”

“I know,” replied Danteel evenly. “I’m not a fool either.”

Jonahn’s smile wavered. “It is an, um, interesting tongue, isn’t it” he said uncertainly. Danteel remembered that humans often found his language vaguely disturbing, like a beautiful but unknown serpent, one they couldn’t be sure wasn’t poisonous. The Governor shook his head, as if dismissing the alien words. “Anyway, anyway,” he said, “all I need for now is a soft bed with clean sheets—surely it shouldn’t take too long to set that up?”

Moncreif’s shoulders lost a little of their stiffness. “I suppose not,” he conceded. Then, to Danteel, “Take care of them. If you do this well and report what they say to me, I might give you the time to regain this lost sleep. Do you understand me?”

Danteel nodded, silently.

The captain gestured at the Nagai. “He will show you to your quarters and make you as comfortable as possible.”

“He does understand Basic?” asked Jonahn doubtfully.

“Enough to take orders,” said Moncreif, shooting Danteel a warning look that the Nagai ignored.

“And I suppose…” the faltering words came from Alita, standing just behind the Governor. “I suppose,” she said, “he is safe?”

“Safe enough,” replied Moncreif. “And certainly nothing a Weaver need fear.”

Alita inclined her head slightly, as if the word were a compliment. Danteel had never heard it before. But now the Governor and his apprentice were moving off, and he had to rush to get ahead of them. Once there, he gestured towards the nearest turbolift and waited as they entered first.

Despite himself, and Moncreif’s subtle commands and expectations, the Nagai was genuinely curious. But Jonahn did not drop character once the lift started moving, nor in the long corridor that led to his quarters, nor when Danteel opened the door to those quarters and showed them inside.

Only once the main door was closed and he had dropped wearily into one of the chairs in the small sitting room did the human say, “Oh, stars, how I hate that man.” His voice had lost its round jocularity and now Danteel could hear the natural roughness he had been hiding.

The Nagai was careful not to react to the words. He entered the bedroom, stripped the sheets from the bed, and fed them into the laundry chute, then procured new ones from the cupboard in the sitting room. He moved with that careful, unobtrusive grace he had learned as a noble, bounty hunter, and slave. He needn’t have bothered. As always with the humans, it was as if he wasn’t there.

“Then why did we come here, sir?” asked Alita as Danteel applied the new sheets.

Jonahn snorted. “For precisely that reason. I don’t like him, and it totally ruins his mood whenever I’m around. Eh, slave,” he said, and Danteel appeared at the doorway from the bedroom. “Anything to drink around here?” the human demanded. Danteel inclined his head and went to the small drinks cupboard he had placed in the office only that afternoon, as part of his first preparations for their arrival.

Somehow, the order didn’t grate against him as Moncreif’s did. Perhaps it was the deliciousness of being underestimated, practically invisible. If nothing else, the captain knew exactly what he was capable off.

Fool, thought Danteel of Jonahn as he poured the man’s drink. There’s more to him than expected, yes, but he has yet to learn that that’s true of me as well.

He brought the drink out on a tray in time to hear, “…and it’s always bothered him that I’m a Word Weaver, always will, I expect. Ah, the drinks,” he said, though there was only one. He took the glass in his hand, swirled it, then downed the amber-colored liquid in one draft. He made a satisfied noise and replaced the glass. “Another.”

“Do you think that’s really—” Alita began, but Jonahn cut her off.

“Whatever else you can say of the man, he provides a fine brandy.” He noticed Danteel still standing there and shooed him away. “Another, another,” he said, “don’t you understand? More drinks.” He gestured at the empty glass and repeated, “More.”

Danteel again inclined his head—not quite a bow—and went to pour the man another. Once in the next room he strained his ears and could just make out their conversation. “”How long do you plan to stay here?” Alita was asking.

“As long as I need to, perhaps a month even.”

“Surely there must be safer—”

“No. Moncreif’s blasted difficult, it’s true, but he doesn’t balk at it when he knows he owes someone.” There was the sound of the Governor shifting in his chair. “And he runs one of the tightest ships in the Realm.”

Danteel moved the bottle, tray, and glass closer to the half-open door to hear better. “Forgive the impertinence, sir,” said Alita softly, “But what did you do for him?”

Jonahn was silent for a long time. When he did speak, he said, “Slave! Where are those drinks?”

The Nagai jerked into motion, bringing out the half-full bottle as well and leaving it next to the glass on the tray. Just as he was about to go on with his work, Jonahn said, “Wait. Come here.”

Danteel came and inclined his head slightly towards the man, as if to hear him better. Moving fast, Jonahn hooked two muscular fingers through Danteel’s collar and pulled, jerking the Nagai off balance. He fell half onto the table, knocking the bottle over with the tinkling sound of breaking glass and spilling the brandy. Before he could react, Jonahn was up, dragging Danteel up with him and slamming him against the wall. The fingers released his collar and Danteel clawed at it, gasping for the air that had been denied him.

That’s the way one deals with aliens,” said Jonahn, very self-satisfied.

The cold, burning anger rose within Danteel with each sucking breath.

“Now, Moncreif’s got a bit of a weakness for alien women. Even tried to marry one once.”

The silver blaze grew in his eyes, the inner screams for vengeance clouding out all else.

“Let’s just say that I—”

“Behind you!” Alita cried, throwing herself on Jonahn and just knocking him out of the way as Danteel attacked. He had the broken neck of the bottle in one hand, its edges still dripping fine brandy. He had cut his hand on the sharp glass and now the alcohol made it sting, but he ignored the pain.

Kill, came the beating of his heart, and with every thump kill, kill, kill the sheczkall.

But a sound cut through the pounding rage. Someone was singing. Alita stood before him, unarmed and unafraid, blocking the way to his purpose. She was singing, steadily, confidently, in a language he did not know. He felt the song as an almost physical force, trying to calm him. Danteel snarled, shut the voice out of his head, and lunged.

He hadn’t seen Jonahn dart out from behind Alita while she sang, and sneak up behind him.

All he felt was the man’s fist as it connected with his skull.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:54 am
gyrfalcon says...



Imp, Dreamy, as ever you two are invaluable!!! Imp, you bring up fantastic points about the world-building side of things. In fact, the world-building seems to have taken care of itself--I hope you'll learn more in the next section (good guess about the guest bringing more info). As always, thank you very, very much!

note to Dreamy: Danteel's homeworld is, in fact, called "Nagi," thus the inhabitants of Nagi are "Nagai"




User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:38 am
Poor Imp says...



Hello again, Gyr. ^_^

(over the re-draft)

DD has hit the most points on Mattira, even in the redraft. But to reiterate from a different perspective - it looks ten times better. She still has the good, but by circumstances, she's obviously broken. And you set that out with the small things; detail in dialogue; reactions.

You've managed similarly with Lark. His actions - especially with the interjection of his medical profession - seem more fluid now, less posed.

All that said, it's the small things that differentiate people, and that can define a character. Danteel is most developed of any of the cast. His culture and his backgound give him more depth; you've contrasted his understanding of things with the world around him.

...Speaking of Detail: For all its consistency in style and tone, for all its pacing (carried well, I've said ^_^) - it still needs definition. Being derived from Star Wars is as good a way to start as any.

What is this place/galaxy/world really?

Moncreif had been agitated since yesterday afternoon, when he had announced that the Avarice would host an esteemed guest in three days’ time. He had declined to explain further, but after the evening meal he had declared that Danteel should have a proper shower, haircut, and new clothes before the guest arrived.


This caught my eye as being a segue towards or into that. Perhaps this guest, perhaps the visit explains sidewise more of the poltical structure? more of the customs?...

Again, 'tis the small things that make a whole. And this needn't necassarily all be dragged through or brought out in the first draft, or even in the second.

The Nagai, and the glimpses we get of both the moral and intellectual tendencies there, are very telling. Moncreif's first encounter with Danteel is an excellent example.

But about the rest? The entire world?

Questions -

What are the different languages like? 'Basic' and which others? Language forms the way people think.

What is the political structure of the government? If there's any conflict, would it tie-in at all to Danteel's struggle?


...That's only to begin it. You'll have to pardon me driving into the world-building side of things. But when you have such neatness already in narrative (overwhelmingly) it begins to be the depth and conception of the place and characters that can be worked on.

At the moment, I still run in to passages and dialogue that drop me sharply back into Star Wars 'nostalgia'. ^_~ By the end of this, I know you can have a setting that's yours, entirely Gyr.

(end comments on redraft and world)




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:23 am
Dream Deep says...



(continued from previous...)


--

Their entrance into the kitchens and their meeting with the cook is well-written, good job there. ^_^


Gyrfalcon wrote: The Nagai found that he could now remember exactly how many levels they had descended. He nodded. “Good,” said Moncreif, and strode out.


... but Danteel only just realized that he knew the distance? Or he only just discerned the distance? The way you've written that line is a bit confusing, I would advice changing it a bit.

Gassil and Mattira's relationship, the hug Gassil gives the slave is touching and unexpected. The reader figures the two know each other, but distantly - the fact that Gassil now partially fufills the role of protector/friend adds a knew dimension to it - good job on that. ^_~ Mattira's exploration of the cook's quarters and her inquiry about the painting only add. ^_^ The fact that Mattira - quiet, timid Mattira actually scolds Danteel for his mention of Daxon to Gassil is wonderful. There's so much character development in this chapter.


Gyrfalcon wrote:Worst of all: the golden glint around his slender throat. This was not the face of Danteel, noble son of Nagi. This was the face of a slave. He snarled at himself, letting the silver blaze of anger rise in his eyes. There, that was better.


Perfect. ^_^

(Though I believe 'Nagi', above, is supposed to be 'Nagai'.)

Excellent, Gyr, far more polished and far deeper than you gave it credit for. I look forward to the next installment, and I'd like to commend you on your work with Mattira especially - she's turning into a great character. ^_^




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:09 am
Dream Deep says...



For being, as you say, a relatively un-polished piece, this one reads much better than its predecessor on the first run through. This one won't need near as much attention and revision as the last one did (which turned out very nicely, by the way). ^_^

The first paragraph is great, absolutely. In fact, that whole stretch of paragraphs with Danteel in the shower moves along quite nicely and presents a very clear picture. Moncreif's reaction - indignant, irritated - only makes it better.

Gyrfalcon wrote: “You said you wanted me clean and not reeking of Nagai, blood, and sweat,” Danteel retorted, lathering on another layer of soap, scraping his white skin with the rough scrubber. “After weeks of nothing but those cold, five-minute stints, what can you expect?” It gave him a glowing sort of pleasure to be able to talk back this way.


... why is he able to talk back like this, though? o0 You go on to say that Moncreif has been agitated lately - but knowing him like the reader knows him at this point, I would find it doubtful that this agitation would distract him from Danteel. If anything it would heap more punishment and uncalled for pain upon the poor Nagai.

In the part where Danteel is getting dressed, you write: "Silently he dressed, enjoying the clean white linen against his clean white skin." I'm not sure that repetition should be your aim here - it makes the line sound simplistic with double on the 'clean' and 'white'. I would consider rewriting it, but it's a small, thing, Gyr; whichever you decide. ^_^

Gyrfalcon wrote:They emerged out of the turbolift into a long corridor, dimly lit by comparison to the rest of the ship. Moncreif grabbed Mattira’s arm in his long fingers, and she didn’t resist as he pulled her into the hallway. Danteel forced himself to not rip the man’s throat out.


"Danteel forced himself to not rip the man's throat out" - it is not needed. It drags on the end of the paragraph; I think it would be better left to inference. Like Danteel's beatings - they lose their potency if used to much. Same here. Danteel's been thinking death threats at Moncreif since his captivity, you don't want to overdue it, especially where Mattira is concerned. Only two paragraphs up, you say virtually the same thing.


--

(to be continued...)




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:47 am
gyrfalcon says...



Danteel stood under the warm, soothing spray of the shower, the compressed water relaxing the tense muscles in his scarred back as nothing else could have. Steam clogged each breath, but he reveled in the moisture-thick air. He braced his thin arms on either side of the small, tiled chamber and hung his head, letting the scalding spray hit his neck and shoulders. To be truly clean for the first time in over a month—heaven.

He breathed deep and pulled his hair off his neck, his fingers brushing the gold collar. He shifted his body slightly so that the pressurized water beat against every square centimeter of skin.

“This is not a spa resort,” came Moncreif’s angry voice from the other side of the opaque shower door.

“You said you wanted me clean and not reeking of Nagai, blood, and sweat,” Danteel retorted, lathering on another layer of soap, scraping his white skin with the rough scrubber. “After weeks of nothing but those cold, five-minute stints, what can you expect?” It gave him a glowing sort of pleasure to be able to talk back this way, if only for the moment—the shower door was a more effective barrier between he and his master than a stone wall.

Moncreif had been agitated since yesterday afternoon, when he had announced that the Avarice would host an esteemed guest in three days’ time. He had declined to explain further, but after the evening meal he had declared that Danteel should have a proper shower, haircut, and new clothes before the guest arrived.

Now the Nagai fingered his long black hair as it dripped with water. What had, only a few weeks ago, been mere hints of silver were developing into solid silver side locks. Not that he cared much. The accumulating scars on his back were of much more immediate importance.

Finally deciding that he had pushed his shower time as far as he could, he turned the water off and opened the door a crack to grab a towel. After drying himself and wrapping the towel—the softest thing he had touched in a month—around his waist, he stepped out into his master’s refresher station. Moncreif grabbed his hair and threw him out of the small room, scowling. Danteel landed on his knees, grabbing the back of a chair so as not to fall, his scalp on fire. “What was that for?” he hissed.

Moncreif strode over to him and Danteel flinched as he saw his master’s booted feet approach, expecting a kick. “Get up,” Moncreif snapped, “get dressed. There are fresh clothes in your room.”

Slowly, Danteel rose. After his first, public, beating, Moncreif had been careful not to touch him when others were watching. Perhaps the man had a sense of honor after all. Of course, that didn’t stop him from hurting the Nagai when they were alone. Danteel made his way carefully around Moncreif’s imposing form and into his own, tiny cell. Silently he dressed, enjoying the feel of the fresh linen against his clean skin. Instinctively his fingers brushed the golden collar at his throat. The familiar shiver of hatred and fear went down his spine.

He began to emerge, then froze, still in the doorway to his room. His eyes were fixed on Mattira. She stood next to their master, her head down and her scarred arms wrapped around herself. Instead of the spare costume he had first seen her in, she now wore an outfit much like his—brown slacks and a white linen shirt. Her long black hair hung wet down her back; apparently she had just finished a shower as well.

Danteel’s gaze shifted from her to Moncreif. The Nagai took one, deliberate step towards the human. Moncreif’s thin lips twitched in a brief smile. “She needs a haircut as well.”

The Nagai forced himself into stillness, but his rage sent tremors throughout his entire body. Mattira glanced up at him, giving him a brave little smile that somehow made it worse.

“Come,” Moncreif ordered, and his slaves followed him out of the captain’s quarters, into the turbolift, and down so many levels that the Nagai lost count. Danteel tried to catch Mattira’s eye again, but her expression had gone static, her beautiful golden eyes blank, internalizing every sensation. With every heartbeat Danteel swore he would kill the man who had done this to her.

As they descended, Danteel turned his gaze to the captain. The Nagai had never seen his master suppressing so much anger, and Danteel wondered what had caused it. Of course he didn’t ask; even after three weeks and five more beatings, he hadn’t gotten used to the sting of the whip.

They emerged out of the turbolift into a long corridor, dimly lit by comparison to the rest of the ship. Moncreif grabbed Mattira’s arm in his long fingers, and she didn’t resist as he pulled her into the hallway.

Moncreif entered the first door on the right-hand side and Danteel followed him—right into a wall of heat that nearly knocked him over. After the low light in the hallway, the lighting here exploded into his eyes like novas, the deafening noise crushed in on him like a physical force. Mattira let out a soft cry and threw up her free arm to ward off the light.

They were in the kitchens. The clamor didn’t stop when they entered, but it lessened, the shifty eyes of the cooks evaluating them. A small, formidable blond woman strode up to them, wiping her hands on a stained apron. Her neutral blue eyes scanned them warily. “Captain,” she said. “I wasn’t expecting you.”

“I know you’re busy, Gassil, but I need your services. These two require haircuts.”

For the first time, Gassil’s eyes focused on Mattira. Her hard expression softened. “Hello, there,” she said to the girl, not unkindly. For the first time, Danteel saw Mattira give a full, genuine smile. The cook returned it.

Then Gassil caught sight of Danteel, and her guard went up once more. To Moncreif, she said, “When?”

“Now.”

“Where?”

“Your equipment is in your quarters, yes? Take them there; you know what to do.” She nodded. Moncreif turned to go, but glanced at Danteel before he left, his eyes flashing. “I trust you will find your way back.”

The Nagai found that—in the glare of those eyes and their promise of pain—he could now remember exactly how many levels they had descended. He nodded. “Good,” said Moncreif, and strode out.

Gassil stood there, looking at the two of them for a moment. Then she stepped forward and wrapped her arms warmly around Mattira. The girl flinched slightly, but not from fear, and clumsily returned the embrace. “I was starting to worry about you,” said Gassil, releasing her. “Come on, we can talk in my quarters.” She and Mattira swept past Danteel and, left with little choice, he followed.

Gassil’s quarters were on the same level, only a few corridors away from the enormous kitchens. They were larger than Danteel had expected, and while the furnishings certainly weren’t luxurious, they were higher quality than the wages of a ship’s cook might allow for. Mattira seemed to relax once they were inside; she went straight to a framed painting of some Locus Nova landscape and said, “Is this one new? It’s beautiful.”

“Yes, I bought that on my last trip to the homeworld,” said Gassil, opening a drawer in a storage cupboard and bringing out her equipment. Danteel, though no expert in the latest human hair-cutting technology, saw that it all looked relatively new and advanced. The razor was blade-less, probably employing laser technology, and though the nature of scissors would, he was sure, never really change, hers looked professional-grade.

“Do you function as ship’s barber as well?” he asked. “Is that how you can afford all this.” The words were, perhaps, spoken with more harshness than the woman’s behavior had merited.

She looked at him as if noticing him for the first time. “Who’s this, Mattira?” she asked the girl, while keeping her eyes on Danteel.

Mattira’s expression regained some of its blankness. “His name is Danteel,” she said. “He’s new.”

“Is he now?” said Gassil.

Danteel had the feeling of being evaluated by cool blue eyes. He tried to remember where he had felt that before. “Do you know a man called Daxon?” he asked abruptly, keeping his face impassive.

The name elicited an immediate reaction. “What?” Gassil hissed. “How do you know him?”

The association was obviously not a pleasant one for her. Nor was it for Danteel. “He bet Moncreif that I would scream after my first ten lashes,” he said, calmly. “I lasted till twenty. How do you know him?”

Gassil sank down into a chair, still holding the razor and scissors. “He’s my brother,” she whispered.

“I gather that you two are not on speaking terms?” said Danteel icily. The memory of those arrogant blue eyes, of that voice edging Moncreif on, could never fully leave him.

“Leave her alone!” The command, quite unexpected, came from Mattira. She stood next to the landscape, trembling slightly, piercing Danteel with her golden gaze.

The Nagai stood there for a moment, stunned by the outburst. Then, swallowing his pride, he turned to Gassil. “I apologize,” he said, stiffly but sincerely. “It was not my business.”

“You’re right, it wasn’t,” she said, but there was no venom in the words. She had that look of infinite weariness that he had so often felt, and he began to feel some real regret creep into his sentiment. She stood wearily, and gestured him to the seat she had just occupied. “Go ahead, sit down. This will only take a few minutes.”

Danteel sat. There was a moment or two’s busy bustling behind him, and then the gentle aura of heat on the back of his neck—probably the razor. He jerked violently, and the mild laser just brushed his neck. The welder! It was as if the instrument used to weld the collar—that owning, wretched, despised thing—onto his neck was once again performing its enslaving task.

Only with a supreme effort of will did he calm himself. For a moment, Gassil was silent, and he wondered if she would ask. She didn’t.

In ten minutes, she had finished. She handed him a mirror, the gesture apparently being nothing but reflex for her. But he grabbed at the reflective surface, hungry, after weeks with only glimpses into steel bulkheads and armor, for a look at himself.

His face was, if possible, thinner than ever before, the cheekbones jutting out and the eye hollows sunken, so that his already-haunting eyes were now positively wraith-like. The black hair that he had allowed to grow long had been drastically trimmed. It no longer brushed his neck, but was now close-cut, molded around his head. His back-sweeping, pointed ears were clearly visible, white as pearl against the inkiness of his hair.
It was an alien face that stared at him.

Worst of all: the golden glint around his slender throat. This was not the face of Danteel, noble son of Nagi. This was the face of a slave. He snarled at himself, letting the silver blaze of anger rise in his eyes. There, that was better.

Repressing the instinct to throw the mirror across the room, he handed it civilly back to Gassil. “Thank you,” he said, his voice oily.

She had seen the silver blaze, and now viewed him with a degree of caution, being careful to accept the mirror back gently. “You’ll have to wait while I do Mattira,” she said, her voice uncertain now.

“Fine,” he said pleasantly, and sat down to wait.

Gassil began the same process on Mattira, but only trimming her sable locks a few centimeters. She tried to chat with the girl, but the slave had withdrawn, once more, into herself. Danteel sat and watched, feeling the cold fury grow within him, and enjoying the sensation.




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:39 am
Dream Deep says...



Better on this edit, Gyr, by far - it's come along nicely and there's not much more I can suggest you look at. It reads at a nice pace and the characterization, I think, fits well.

Hope I helped a bit, with all this. As for now, I just look forward to another chapter. ^_^

Well done, Gyr.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:55 pm
gyrfalcon says...



*bows* thank you very much, darling! I can totally see what you mean about Mattira, both character-wise and description-wise (I do have a bad thing for dumping too much descritption on people) As always, your crits make me excited about correcting them! The next installment should be coming soon, possibly even tonight. Be warned, it's also un-polished, like this scene, but I hope it works!

oh, and a note to Imp: I can't guarantee an exactly happy ending, but it won't end in despair, I promise




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:36 pm
Dream Deep says...



Much better on the rewrite, Gyr. It has a much more polished feel now. ^_^ I got a better glimpse of both Mattira and Danteel in this scene.

Though there are still a few places where the flow seems to stutter - I shall try to point them out for you:


Description of Mattira:

Gyrfalcon wrote: He shifted his head to look up at the source of the voice—and found himself staring into the most beautiful face he had ever seen. Her skin was dark bronze and gleamed like metal; her long, silky hair was jet black. She had a delicate nose and a mild, smiling mouth. And her eyes were large and solid gold with dark, milky pupils watching him kindly.


The description here is a bit hard to get through - some of it's awkward. Her skin gleamed like metal; the phrase gives her something of a machinistic, emotionless feel, which might work well for symbolism but for the purposes off description it feels off. Skin might be luminous, certainly - it might have a glow to it. But will it really gleam like metal?

Also, too many adjectives on the hair; I think just one would serve you better, two if you absolutely need them. But you describe not only the length, but also the texture, the color, and then the type of color. It's a little too much all at once.

Milky pupils doesn't work very well either, it trips the reader up. Your description of the eyes is fine - large and solid gold - but here again, we've seen pupils. They're dark, and this is information we already have so here it seems like to much again.

Though, keep in mind, Gyr, that these are just suggestions - and I had to look long and hard through the piece to find much to advise you on. You've definitely got a natural talent for this, I think. ^_^

Here:


Mattira's Character:

Gyrfalcon wrote: She wrapped her slender arms around herself and the Nagai saw that they were covered in long, graceful scars. “The master…” she faltered. Her beautiful golden eyes were turned inwards, seeing horrors he couldn’t even imagine. “I have…certain duties.”


Mattira again. Much much better on the dialogue between her and Danteel and on her general air. The only thing that catches here is the third line: Her beautiful golden eyes turned inwards, seeing horrors he couldn't even imagine. It doesn't sound right. I think I understand the dynamic you're trying to create here, but perhaps there's some other way of writing it. I'd like to quote, if I may, Schindler's List - the Commandant and his maid do not have quite the same relationship as Moncreif and Mattira, but watch how Keneally does it:

"'Herr Schindler," murmered the girl. She put her head down and wept neatly, economically for a few seconds. "Herr Schindler, he likes to beat me in front of those women. On my first day here, he beat me because I threw out the bones from dinner. He came down the the basement at midnight and asked me where they were. For his dogs, you understand. That was the first beating. I said to him... I don't know why I said it; I'd never say it now... Why are you beating me? He said, The reason I'm beating you now is you asked me why I'm beating you."

She shook her head and shrugged, as if reproving herself for talking so much. She didn't want to say any more; she couldn't convey the history of her punishments, her repeated experience of the Hauptsturmfuhrer's fists.


There's drama and you feel pity - unspeakable amounts of pity - for the girl: and her duties don't even include Mattira's. I would still try to work on her a bit, but you're much closer now, to what you're trying to accomplish with her. ^_^


A Quick Note:

Gyrfalcon wrote:Leave her alone, Moncreif,” Danteel growled.


... I wouldn't do the whole line in italics. ^_~


... And so on.

This is so much better, Gyr, than the first draft. Mattira's deeper, Danteel's deeper and so is Moncreif. Their dynamic is clearer and the ending reads much cleaner. ^_^ Great job, Gyr, this is a big improvement. ;)




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:55 am
gyrfalcon says...



Imp, Dreamy, thanks SO much for all your help. You're both very right about this last instalment--it's very recent, especially compared to the others, and I appreciate the comments. Thank you both very much for your crits on the story over all, as well (I never really intended this stuff to be read, so I didn't look at it that way). I look foward to taking your comments back to my draft and seeing what happens!




User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:48 am
Poor Imp wrote a review...



Hello Gyr!...

No line by line from the Imp at present for various reasons - though highest on the list would be time constraint. ^_^

Rather, I'm going to go through impressions and character. It will be blunt; but with a foundation in writing and style, all there is to pull apart is relationship and character.

As some of the previous comments have enumerated, you've well-balanced and consistent style. It's neither too flowery nor minimalist. (It reminds me somewhat of Timothy Zahn - read his, yes? Though he had his devices that stuck out more apparently than anything I've seen in this.)

You set your scene. You hit the reader hard with conflict, conflict that weaves character in neatly enough that one's sympathies are yanked in, despite reason.

At the first thought, this is good, of course. In the second: Its pitfall is a tendency to manipulate the reader rather involve him.

No one wants a sympathetic, confident and/or 'strong' character subjugated to a sadistic megalomaniac. One is obviously the villain. The other - is he the protagonist and hero, or the victim?

Further in (past the first installment) I began to feel Danteel was going to tortured to Hell's end and I was along against my will - if willingly pitying the poor fellow - until the end of time. Naturally, death would likely come first for one of us. ^_^''

Is there going to be hope of Danteel's release and 'healing'? Or is it a story with only escape as an end, only death to hope for and will Danteel, then as follows, hope for suicide before natural (perhaps not so natural under Moncreif) death?

Some stories will end and tend that way. Others have a propensity to the tenacious human (or not human for Danteel) aptitude to live no matter. And there are stories that get caught in the pain, confusion, dread of their inner workings and can't see out.

I don't think this is the third. But I'd watch it rather carefully for wandering that way. ^_~

Then, there's Lark. Pleasant fellow, rather naive, perhaps?

All right then - why is he good? Why does he treat Danteel as he does? (One might, in this world, say it was his inclination - religious, Christian - but is there anything like it in Danteel's world?)

Though I was immediately fond of him, something felt inexplicable in his care. He's willing to call Moncreif a 'bastard' to his face after Danteel has told him of the man's tradition of allowing his slave to kill newcomers on whim?

Lark doesn't seem the sort to react well to fear. He wouldn't care for Danteel because he thought he would be killed otherwise; he wouldn't do it, even, for 'owing' him if he didn't think the owing were for the right reasons.

So perhaps, if Lark were fleshed out even slightly. The good are angry as well. But a man who has always been around the relatively good-hearted, and is so himself, who may be somewhat shy or timid (is he?) would be unlikely to burst out.

That leaves Moncreif in my thoughts.

He is, apparently and in one word, a sadist. He takes pleasure in other's pain, and in control. This, I assume, is how he got to his position? A good manipulator.

I thought I found shades of Thrawn in him, if you've read Zahn. Thrawn twisted and devoid of any sense of honour; perhaps little sense of strategy - he's too self-involved. I think that some allusion (background eventually - not immediately perhaps) will make him a more solid personality.


All right - out of time, Gyr. ^_^ I enjoyed 'In Thrall' as it is. Its weakness may only be a stutter on depth at points, a slight rush - ask questions constantly. I'll try to go through a bit more thoroughly (even by line) later on.


IMP


[ critted for the Cabassi ]




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:06 am
Dream Deep says...



Gyrfalcon wrote: The best way for me to respond is to give you more. Be warned, you might want to have something...punchable on hand for this one.


Heh, you give yourself too little credit. This one did not quite flow as well as the previous one, it's true, but it's not bad by any means. While the previous part went along like a final draft, a passage out of novel, this one was a little more rough around the edges - just needs to be polished up a bit. ^_^

The most awkward part was the dynamic with the girl - it didn't really ring true. She sounded - how to say it? - wooden almost, like she was an actress fufilling a role, that was all. There was not much emotion, not much passion or drive. Certainly a female prisoner (a female prisoner of her... ah, duties, as she puts it - and I'm sure Moncreif beats her, too) would act differently; she would be quiet, nervous, introverted. She would be in pain - as much, if not more, on the inside than on the outside. One has to think that she would be broken down, spiritless - especially with the ever-so-sadistic Moncreif as her master. You might want to add some depth to her as a character.

Though Imp made a very good point on this: perhaps the aim with this was "not downtrodden, but long-suffering and still good". Which works, in this context - I would just work on adding a little extra to her, to make her a bit more believable and grounded in reality. ^_~

Another note is on Danteel: he's just been flogged. Though the sight and presence of Mattira might momentarily distract him, it seems unlikely that he'll just forget about it.

And on Danteel again - the beating in this chapter overdoes it a bit. When you dole out action like that, pain being inflicted, it's a good idea to do it in small doses so it's more striking. The previous chapter was that, and it was, indeed, striking. The fact that Moncreif beats Danteel yet again in this part seems a bit superfluous, like you're putting too much of it in. The suffering of the Nagai at the hands of his captor would, I think, make much more of an impression if inferred, in places. ^_~

Good job, though, with the general draft. I look forward to more, Gyr, best of luck on it. ^_^



(Critted for the CCF)




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:46 pm
gyrfalcon says...



:oops: The best way for me to respond is to give you more. Be warned, you might want to have something...punchable on hand for this one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’ve been wanting to meet you all week, but not like this.”

Danteel blinked slowly and opened his eyes. With returning consciousness, the pain in his back flooded him once more. He groaned and tried to lever himself up from his stomach. “Shhh, don’t push yourself,” the soft voice above him said, and cool but gentle hands pushed him down again.

He shifted his head to look up at the source of the voice—and found himself staring into the most beautiful face he had ever seen. Her skin was dark bronze and luminous; her black hair fell long and unbound down her back. She had a delicate nose and a mild, smiling mouth. And her eyes were large and golden, as luminous as her skin.

She smiled. “Hello, you must be Danteel.”

His mouth dropped open. “Who are you?”

The girl licked her lips, dropped her eyes. “I serve the master, as you do,” she said. The golden glint at her throat should have told him that long ago.

“Moncreif!” Danteel erupted upright at the word, his back and shoulders on fire as he moved. “Why haven’t I seen you before?” he asked the girl.

She wrapped her slender arms around herself and the Nagai saw that they were covered in long, graceful scars. “The master…” she faltered. “He rescued me. There was a civil war on my world, I would have died. He…saved me.” For a long time, she was silent, perfectly still. As if it wasn’t Danteel she was seeing. “He is kind."

He noticed, for the first time, how spare her outfit was. “Stars no,” he whispered.

She closed her eyes and seemed to shrink into herself.

The door opened and Moncreif stood in the doorway, regarding the scene dispassionately. Danteel snarled and tried to lunge at him, but the pain in his back gripped him and made him drop to his knees, groaning. “So violent,” said the captain off-handedly as he strode past the prone Nagai. Danteel saw him stop, put his fingers under the young woman’s chin, and lift her from where she had knelt next to him. “Who told you that you could leave your room, Mattira?” he said, as if he were genuinely interested in the answer.

Her gaze was fixed on Moncreif’s face as if welded there, and Danteel could see she was trembling. “I’m sorry, master,” she whispered. “I only wanted to meet him.”

“You treated him as well,” said Moncreif, and Danteel could feel that his back had been carefully cleaned and the wounds closed with med-patches. “Who gave you permission to do that?” His voice was soft, almost gentle.

“I’m sorry, master,” Mattira breathed, tears forming in her closed eyes. “Please.”

“Leave her alone, Moncreif,” Danteel growled in Nagian.

The captain ignored him. He wiped Mattira’s eyes tenderly with one thin fingertip. “Go back to your rooms,” he said. “I’ll deal with you later.”

For a moment, Mattira hesitated. She glanced at Danteel, seemed about to say something. “I will deal with you later,” said her master again, harder. She left.

Moncreif turned his attention to Danteel, who worked his way steadily, painfully to his feet. “You bastard,” he bit out. The captain took one step forward and shoved Danteel back against the wall. His fresh injuries hit the bulkhead and he cried out.

“You slave,” Moncreif said calmly. He stepped towards Danteel, his nearness keeping the Nagai’s injured back pressed to the wall. “Do you imagine that this is a game?” said Moncreif, still icy cool. “Do you imagine that you are still free to do whatever you please without reaping the consequences? Do you imagine that you are free at all?”

Danteel surged forward, his hands going for the captain's throat. Almost casually Moncreif sidestepped the attack, giving his slave the barest of pushes to throw him off-balance and onto the metal floor.

The Nagai hit the deck hard and stayed, the pain of his flogging preempting any motion that might add to that pain.

The captain smiled. “It seems you are capable of learning something in a day,” he said.

Danteel didn’t even try to rebuff him; pain coursed through every nerve. Moncreif crouched down, balancing on the balls of his feet, his hands resting lightly on his bent knees. “I am not a monster, Danteel,” he said, regarding the prone Nagai. “I am a reasonable man, far more than most. I desire things to be a certain way, and it is within my power to make them that way. As long as you do not interfere, Danteel, as long as you can learn to adapt, I think you will do very well here. You are intelligent, I grant that, and surely you can see how foolish this struggle is. How unnecessary.” Without another word, he rose and strode out of the small room the Nagai had been dumped in, and Danteel heard him turn the key in the lock.




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:33 pm
Dream Deep says...



I love you Gyr. ^_^ More specifically, I love how you write, but a simple 'I love you' works, too. To give you something to gauge it off of, this blows Gypsie's Eyes off the wall, Gyr, and Gypsie's Eyes was excellent.

It is, as Luna says, the small details that make the story. Not only are we invited to delve deeper into Moncreif's character, we are permitted to see Danteel in a much clearer light as well. The beginning sets the chapter up perfectly, the classic master-slave routine: Set the table and do it properly. The fact that you apply this simple technique (an action that would be common to any servant serving on Earth) to space and more specifically this universe is wonderful.

One thing, though, about the beginning:

Gyrfalcon wrote:Danteel set out the platters of food on the table as Moncreif watched him, reclining against one wall with his arms crossed. The burn from having the ends of the collar welded together still hurt at the back of his neck, but he ignored it. “No,” Moncreif corrected as Danteel placed the silverware carelessly, “fork on the right.”


You describe Moncreif's posture and his position - then immediately you go on about the burn. Halfway through the next sentence you know it's Danteel you're talking about (he's had the collar welded on, after all) but initially the stucture is confusing - the reader is still thinking in terms of Moncreif.

The way you describe the Nagai's inner reactions to Moncreif's so-called 'gall' is exemplary - the reader can see how hard it is for Danteel to take being treated like this. We can see how he strains against it, and yet has no choice but to obey. Their interactions - Moncreif correcting Danteel, Danteel internally hating Moncreif; later on, Moncreif with his whip, Danteel bracing himself to take the pain - ring so true to each character and are so well-drawn, Gyr. You have every reason to be proud of this. ^_^

The fact that there was a bet running between Moncreif and his guest was not predicted and so you manage to create something of an "Oh wow" moment when the reader realises what has been going on. ^_~ There's also an "Oh crap" moment a second later when the reader realises that Danteel isn't going to get out of this without some sort of punishment - a hard punishment at that.

Gyrfalcon wrote:The room went perfectly silent. It was as if the table had spoken. Since no one answered and no one tried to stop him—yet—Danteel craned his neck around to stare at his master out of one large black eye. “I don’t scream for twenty lashes, and we do this in private from now on. I can’t stop you beating me but I won’t be an amusement for your lackeys.”


*glee*

If the reader is not glued to the page by this point and utterly in love with poor Danteel, I think they lack a heart. ^_~ His calm, even in the face of extreme pain, his collected air and most of all his pride - it's striking. It feels as if the victory here is Danteel's after all, though he is beaten. The reader can see that Danteel is a superior being, mentally. (Ah, but can Moncreif see it, is the question? That would arguably not be good for poor Danteel. ^_^)

That, Gyr, was my favorite paragraph. It is so simple, and yet what is implied is so raw and painful. Danteel knows he will never be free; he knows he will never escape the beatings. He knows he will lose every time. And yet he maintains his dignity.

The character that he posses so completely contrasts Moncreif's sadism - it makes for a wonderulf chapter. I had to stop reading in the middle of it to go eat dinner and all through dinner I was thinking about getting away from the table to read the rest.

You will get this published, Gyr. And I get the first signed copy. ^_^




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:38 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Luna: okay, how do I put this delicately? NO! <answer to suggestion about Lark and Danteel
Glad you liked it, though, but really, truly, NO




User avatar
72 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 72

Donate
Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:55 am
luna_the_shiekah wrote a review...



Such description of Danteel's torture! I like the small details you put into this, like how English is known as Basic.

And being the wierdo I am, I totally see an opening for Danteel and Lark to be together. Hooray for gay couples! Okay, you can ignore me now. :D

LUNA




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:00 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Danteel set out the platters of food on the table as Moncreif watched him, reclining against one wall with his arms crossed. The Nagai could still feel the burn from having the ends of the collar welded together, but he ignored it. As he was learning to ignore so many things these days. “No,” Moncreif corrected as Danteel placed the silverware carelessly, “fork on the right.”

Everything inside the Nagai surged with hate. The gall of the man. His blood pounded, and he felt his eyes start to blaze silver. But he took a deep breath, dropped his gaze, and corrected the silverware. Moncreif was holding a small dinner for several of his acquaintances—Danteel refused to believe he had anything like friends—while the Avarice was still in station over Locus Nova. It was Danteel’s first job as the captain’s new slave to make ready for them. Slave. And again everything within him roared at the word, screaming Kill, kill, kill the sheczkall, the enslaver.

He forced his emotions back. Honor-bound, he told them, I am honor-bound.

Sheczkall! his heart screamed.

He finished the preparations quickly, despite his inexperience, and the guests started arriving soon afterwards. They barely even noticed Danteel, though one of them, a small man with thinning blonde hair and bright blue eyes, regarded him for a moment with something like amusement. The Nagai could not restrain a snarl. The man laughed softly and moved off to greet his host.

Danteel stood in a corner while the men ate, ignoring his rumbling stomach. Moncreif had given him precious little to eat over the past week, and Danteel, though never anything but thin, was now positively gaunt. He watched them, all officers in the Navy of the Realm, tucking into the food and clenched his hands into fists.

The blonde man noticed his glare and winked. For the millionth time, Danteel suppressed the desire to kill. The man sat back and motioned at his dishes, indicating that the Nagai should clear them away. Danteel didn’t move, except for his clenched hands, which trembled. The man motioned again, the impudent smile never leaving his face. “I’ll tell you what you can do with your dishes,” said Danteel softly in Basic.

Before he could get the curse out, however, the two guards who had been standing on either side of the door grabbed him roughly. “That was fast,” commented Moncreif nonchalantly as the soldiers cemented their grip on the Nagai’s arms. The captain stood, uncurling the long, black leather whip that Danteel had noticed coiled at his waist the entire time. No fear of pain penetrated the red mist of rage, however, and Danteel opened his mouth to scream his defiance when one of the guards punched him hard in the gut.

Danteel folded in, groaning slightly. “Turn him around, keep him down,” commanded Moncreif as he carefully rolled up his sleeves. He tossed a few coins to the blonde man. “Less than five minutes, Daxon, you win this bet.”

The man, Daxon, scooped up the coins as the guards forced Danteel’s back to Moncreif and shoved him to his knees. “May a man make a second wager on the same subject?” asked Daxon calmly.

“What did you have in mind?” asked Moncreif as he cracked his whip experimentally.

“This is his first flogging, yes? I say he screams after ten lashes.”

Moncreif snorted. “Twelve, at least. This one’s stubborn.”

“They’re all stubborn at the beginning,” said one of the others, the comment eliciting chuckles from around the room. Obviously this was a familiar sport to them. “I say only five; he’s thin as a skeleton and twice as frail.”

It didn’t take long for most of the rest of the room to place bets on how long Danteel would hold out, the highest wager going to fifteen lashes from someone with a voice he didn’t recognize. As the soldiers calmly ripped his thin white shirt away, leaving his thin white back exposed, he said coolly, “May the subject of the wager place a bet?”

The room went perfectly silent. It was as if the table had spoken. Since no one answered and no one tried to stop him—yet—Danteel craned his neck around to stare at his master out of one large black eye. “I don’t scream for twenty lashes, and we do this in private from now on. I can’t stop you beating me but I won’t be an amusement for your lackeys.”

“And if you lose?” asked Moncreif, cracking the whip again.

Danteel ran through his short, his extremely short, list of things to bargain with. What did he have to wager, after all? But shame coursed through him and he could feel the condescending stares of the humans around the table like a physical force. He would not be a show for their entertainment; his scars would not provide their pleasure.

“The oath,” he said softly in Nagian.

He could hear Moncreif breath out slowly. “Very well,” he said. And then the whip came down and Danteel’s shoulder exploded with agony. He sucked in his breath sharply; he had not expected this much pain. Swish crack! Two. He clenched his teeth, burying the instinctive cry; he would never make it to twenty.

Swish crack! Three. Swish crack! Four. Swish crack! Five. He pulled against the iron-solid grip of the soldiers, desperate to avoid the stinging pain. The whip bit into his back again and he gasped breathlessly. And again, and he slammed his teeth against the rising cry, and felt blood in his mouth as he bit into his tongue.

Swish crack! Eight. Swish crack! Nine.

Through the pain rose, unexpectedly, the memory of a familiar voice. “We’re not like other people, you and I. Normal beings, of any race, will inevitably live out their lives striving for happiness and trying to avoid disaster. There are only a handful of sentients in this entire galaxy who are built for the lives we now live.” That day on the canyon, seeing the sunset for the first time, the grey-eyed human sitting next to him, smiling—Krieve.

Swish crack! Ten. Swish crack! Eleven. He could feel the blood gathering in a puddle beneath him, could feel the bruises that were already forming where the soldiers held him. Swish crack! Twelve. His back arched, his mouth opening in a silent cry. He felt the blood from his tongue spray out with the expulsion of air, but—thank the stars—no sound. And again the whip came down, slicing across unscarred flesh as expertly as if Moncreif were a master artist with a paintbrush.

Swish crack! Fourteen. Nearly there, he was nearly there.

“All I can say for sure is that I know you and I are bound to each other, our fates tied together until death.”

Then let me be that death! screamed Danteel in his mind. False friend, traitor, Krieve!

Again and again and again the whip came down, and somehow Danteel did not cry out. With every lash he felt the freezing hate inside him grow, not the fire-red rage towards Moncreif, but a far harder, far more enduring vendetta. Vengeance.

Swish crack! Twenty. The arms released him and he dropped, making no effort to stop his fall and hitting the metal floor hard. He could hear Moncreif’s labored breathing above him, and could imagine his master, forehead shiny with sweat, glaring at him.

“Get it out of here,” he commanded, and again the stone-like hands grabbed him and lifted. His back sent rifts of agony through his entire being and he gave a soft cry as he was forced to his feet. A long, muscular hand slapped him hard across the face, but the pain from that was nothing compared to the total hell that engulfed the rest of his body. “Take it away,” Moncreif hissed.

Mercifully, Danteel blacked out before the soldiers had dragged him halfway down the corridor.




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:18 pm
Dream Deep says...



Gyr, my dear bird, I believe you are destined for greatness. That was... amazing.

It was one of those pieces it's nearly impossible to tear your eyes from, let alone walk away from. And the pace is so... seamless, I hardly felt like reading at all - it felt, rather, like you were standing there, watching it happen.

Everything within him screamed to run and his whole body obeyed, jerking back so hard that the soldiers nearly lost their grip on his arms. “Hold him,” commanded Moncreif coldly. “Keep him as still as you can.”

But Danteel would not be still. He twisted and writhed, thinking nothing of the pain where his guards gripped too hard and rubbed the skin beneath their gloves raw. His mouth opened as if to scream but no sound emerged. He brought his chin down to his chest, leaving none of his neck exposed.


Well, things aren't working out so well for poor Danteel, but on the bright side, Gyr, this writing is so good, it's not even funny. I seriously cannot find a single thing to offer suggestions on - this will be published, I have no doubt.

Wonderfully done. ^_^




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:12 pm
Swires says...



" He didn’t answer, didn’t turn to look at the man who had bought him. The anger and hatred seething inside him were a controlled tide, like the measured beating of his heart. They docked with a small bump, and Moncreif gracefully uncrossed his long legs and rose. “Welcome to your home for the rest of your foreseeable future,” he said, still smilin"

I think:

"Inside of him..."

and also I dont think the metaphor "controled tide" works, consider altering that.

You know what I think of your writing. I wont repeat it.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:45 pm
gyrfalcon says...



Danteel looked out the shuttle viewport as they docked with the great ship, the Avarice. Moncreif, sitting across from him, smiled the evil, possessive smile that he had quickly learned to hate. “Magnificent, isn’t she?”

He didn’t answer, didn’t turn to look at the man who had bought him. The anger and hatred seething inside of him were controlled now, like the measured beating of his heart. They docked with a small bump, and Moncreif gracefully uncrossed his long legs and rose. “Welcome to your home for the rest of your foreseeable future,” he said, still smiling.

The Nagai stood as well and gave his new master a long, direct look. The demonic green eyes held his gaze and the smile remained firmly fixed in place. Moncreif swept out of the shuttle to a full honor guard. Danteel followed him quietly. They walked between the ranks of gleaming armor. Their silence and absolute stillness made Danteel nervous. These were not soldiers. They were slaves as much as he was, their faces impassive, their blank eyes staring straight ahead. When the Nagai reached the end of the double rows, the last two of them stepped smartly forward and grabbed Danteel’s arms, one on each side.

He struggled instinctively, but they were clearly stronger than he was. Speaking in Nagian, Danteel demanded, “I didn’t need any help following you out of prison or to the shuttle. I’d hardly need any now.”

Moncreif threw a glance back over his shoulder, his smile unwavering. To the soldiers he said, in Basic, “Bring him.”

Danteel’s booted feet scrabbled on the slick metal floor as he was all but dragged along. The soldiers’ gloved hands were tight on his thin arms, and he knew there would be bruises. They forced him into a turbolift behind Moncreif and followed, at least one keeping a hand on him at all times. The captain didn’t seem to notice.

The turbolift went up and up and up until Danteel lost track of how many floors they had passed. Eventually the doors opened and they walked out into a deserted corridor, much like one might find anywhere on such a ship, with the tall, polished steel bulkheads stretching away into what seemed eternity. Moncreif took the right hand branch and his lackeys followed, still hauling Danteel along between them.

Eventually they came to a pair of perfectly ordinary sliding doors which led into an anything-but-ordinary anteroom. At the end of this were another pair of doors, but these were large and richly carved, made of a dark wood that Danteel knew was rare and very expensive. Through these doors was an office, with a similarly-made desk flanked by two more doors.

A man looked up as they entered, an old man, bent with age, and beset by so many wrinkles that it was hard to determine his species. He might have been a Vedonian, for he had the cut-off stump of a horn on his forehead, but his red skin was faded and Danteel could not be sure. He bowed to Moncreif, and as he straightened the Nagai saw a flash of gold at his neck. A collar. Danteel almost retched. The man tottered up to Moncreif and bowed again. The captain seemed to be getting impatient. “Yes, yes, bring it out. Now’s as good a time as ever.”

The old man tottered to the desk and opened one drawer, taking out a medium-sized wooden box and laying it on the desktop. He lifted the lid almost reverentially, but Moncreif stepped forward to see what was inside and Danteel’s view was blocked. He heard a little sigh of approval from his master. “Yes, it will do nicely.” He lifted the contents and turned, and for the first time Danteel saw what he had been admiring.

Everything within him screamed to run and his whole body obeyed, jerking back so hard that the soldiers nearly lost their grip on his arms. “Hold him,” commanded Moncreif coldly. “Keep him as still as you can.”

But Danteel would not be still. He twisted and writhed, thinking nothing of the pain where his guards gripped too hard and rubbed the skin beneath their gloves raw. His mouth opened as if to scream but no sound emerged. He brought his chin down to his chest, leaving none of his neck exposed.

The collar was, in truth, a beautiful thing, wrought of gold and set with a symbol bearing his name in some kind of black stone. The symbol was ringed with tiny, perfect rubies, and there was no doubt that they were real. The circlet of gold was not quite complete; there was a gap in the gold ring where one might bend it open so it would fit around a neck. And this was exactly what Moncreif was doing as he stepped cautiously towards Danteel.

But Danteel fought hard and kept his chin down. Moncreif rolled his eyes. “Expose his neck,” he commanded, his tone almost bored. “And keep him as motionless as possible.”

One of the soldiers grabbed a handful of Danteel’s thick black hair and pulled violently. The Nagai gave a grunt of pain as his head was forced back, his scalp on fire. “Now keep it up out of the way.” With that Moncreif managed to force the collar around Danteel’s thin neck, and the cold shock of it encircling his throat, owning him more than the captain’s eyes ever could, froze him in place for a moment.

And then there was a hot, searing pain at the back of his neck and he screamed as much from surprise as anything. The old slave had gotten around behind him and used some furnace-hot instrument to weld the two open ends of the collar together. “Hold him still,” said Moncreif as Danteel began to thrash again, “give it a moment to cool.”

To Danteel that moment took only a few seconds and then the hard hands released him and he bolted forward, unaware of direction, and came up short against the opposite wall. His hands wrenched at the collar and he nearly strangled himself, and the heat from the welded place still burned the back of his neck. His fingers clawed at his throat, trying to dislodge this thing, this alien, owning, wretched thing that made him less than he was. He felt blood beneath his nails, his own blood, but he was oblivious to all but the terrible, solid metal of the collar.

And then a pair of hands, with fingers longer and stronger than his own, grabbed his wrists and slammed them back against the bulkhead, stopping his mad tearing. When his wrists slammed his head slammed, too, and it took Danteel a moment to realize that it was Moncreif who was holding him. The man’s mismatched green eyes showed fire for the first time Danteel could remember, but the voice was as cool and nonchalant as ever, “A little too tight, is it?”

Danteel was breathing hard, inhaling and exhaling through his nose as he ground his teeth. There was a horrible, weak instinct to cry, to weep but he didn’t. Not even for his own lost freedom would he shed tears. “Let me die,” he rasped out, just loud enough for his master to hear. He had never before begged to this man, but he didn’t care. “Please, please just let me die.”

But Moncreif smiled and said, “Not yet.”

And then he released him and Danteel fell, landing hard on his knees. His hand began to move once more towards the collar but one of the soldiers raised his rifle and Danteel’s hand stopped mid-motion. “You’ll get used to it,” said Moncreif, wiping his hands on his trousers as if he had touched something vile. “At least, you’d better.”




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate

User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:45 am
Swires says...



Again a fine installment. Im not lying or sucking up in anyway, nor am I being an idiot newbie. But, you do have the potential to publish, you really do.

Maybe its because of your age - your style is just great, the story is interesting. Character. Superb.

I can only reiterate what Dream has said.

Dies. Slowly. In. Pain. Anticipation.




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:16 pm
Dream Deep says...



*dies*

*slowly*

*in pain*

Anticipation.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:12 am
gyrfalcon says...



The Beginning

Danteel fed the white rat a few crumbs from the remnants of his very bad dinner. The creature’s pink eyes seemed to glow in the darkness, and its wicked little yellow teeth just missed the Nagai’s thin white fingers. It took an especially large crumb in its two front paws and nibbled at it, allowing Danteel to stroke it lightly as it did. The animal was perched on his knee, and he could feel the little claws scratching at him through the worn fabric of his trousers.

A door opened at the far end of the room, spilling light into Danteel’s cell and scaring the rat away. Two silhouettes came out of the light and strode towards the barred door that supposedly kept the rest of the galaxy safe from him. One of them was the squat figure of the jailer, carrying his stun rod. The other was tall, very tall, and walked as if he were set apart from the filthy, reeking mess of the dungeon around him. They stopped in front of his door and the jailer unlocked it, but only the tall figure came in. As he stepped into the wan light from the single glow-lantern, Danteel felt an unexpected shiver crawl across his flesh.

The man wore the uniform of the Navy of the Realm, and there was a sheathed saber at his side--the mark of a distinguished officer. His face was hard and seemed to be cut of steel. His body was lean and long-limbed, his spotless uniform carrying the rank cylinders of a Naval Captain.

His eyes were the stuff of nightmares.

The left was a deep, almost black green, with a narrow silver slit of a pupil cutting it like a blade. The right was also green, but so pale as to be insane, flecked with sparks of deep turquoise. The combined effect of those eyes was to force Danteel to stand against his will. He still had to shift his head slightly to look the man in the face. The man smiled and Danteel hated him instantly. “The jailer tells me you killed two of his men getting you in here,” he said.

“I killed one. I injured two others.”

“You know they’re going to execute you for it.”

“Yes.”

“And that’s what you want?”

Danteel did not allow him to see the split-second of hesitation before he replied, in the same, level tone, “Yes.”

The man caressed the handle of his saber. “What is your name?”

Danteel didn’t answer.

He smiled again, and Danteel had to restrain the desire to punch him. “Oh, I’m so sorry, let’s try this again,” he said, pronouncing the words carefully. “What is your name?” he asked, in perfect Nagian.

Danteel’s mouth dropped open and without really meaning to he gaped. “How—

The man drew his sword, almost nonchalantly. It was a beautiful blade, born of quality metal and skilled craftsmanship. Danteel’s eyes were drawn inexorably towards it. “During my travels in the outlying regions,” the man continued, “I had occasion to observe many of your people. Their ferocity and skill impressed me greatly, as did their language. They were…unique, like a vein of precious metal hidden in the worthless mines of non-humanity.” He raised the sword slowly, gracefully, until the tip hung perilously close to Danteel’s throat, forcing his back against the clammy stone wall. “Now I shall ask once more. What is your name?”

Danteel’s black eyes stared directly into the mad green ones. “Danteel,” he said, “and yours?”

“I am called Moncreif,” the man said. The flat of the blade forced Danteel’s chin up and to one side, allowing Moncreif to see his profile. “How old are you, Danteel?

Danteel told him.

Moncreif smiled, and the tip of the blade brushed gently against a lock of Danteel’s hair that was just turning to silver. “Of course,” he said, the sharp tip returning to menace the Nagai’s neck. “I am going to save your life, Danteel. I am going to buy you from this poor, stupid fool, and in return you will serve me, as Nagai culture dictates that one who’s life has been saved must serve the one who saved it.”

The Nagai bared his teeth. “I would rather die by fire than live as a slave.”

“I know,” said Moncreif. “All Nagai would. You value freedom above all but honor, and there you show your one fault. Nagai honor demands that you serve the one who saves your life, and I know that your honor runs deeper than any drive for liberty you possess.”

Something within Danteel, some aspect of all the countless years of training he had gone through as a member of the Nagian nobility, stirred deep in his heart. A small, uncomfortable wave of fear rippled through him. “I do not want my life saved,” he snapped. “Therefore you do me no service by saving it.”

Moncreif smiled, and began to recite: “’I, who hold your life in hand, whose breath still flows because of me, whose heart still beats because of me; I who snatch you from the endless black-well of the world beyond, demand your heart in loyalty, your mind in fealty, and your body in service to my will.’”

Danteel ground his teeth together, stifling the instinctive response. Before he could read or write, he had memorized this oath and counter-oath. All Nagai children had, it was a part of being Nagai. “How dare you speak this sacred vow, outsider,” he spat. “You defile the words by using them.”

“Your resistance is impressive, Danteel. Don’t make me repeat myself; I don’t think your psyche could stand it.”

He was right, Danteel knew he was right. His mind was very nearly tearing itself apart as it was. The oath was not meant to be a slave-maker, only a promise of loyalty to one who deserved it. The deep, unfathomable depths of instinct and Nagai training warred against the roaring fire that was his desire for freedom. “’You, who hold my life in hand, who still allow my breath to flow, who still allow my heart to beat—‘” he clamped his mouth around the words, and would not let them leave his lips. “No,” he said softly. “I will not speak the words to you, Moncreif. Not to a human, never to a human. You have me by my honor, Moncreif, and I will serve you against my will, but I will not speak the words to you. I will resist you at every turn, and if I ever get the chance to do so honorably, I’ll kill you. Take me if you will, Moncreif. You take a ticking bomb into your service.”

Moncreif smiled. “That will do for my purposes.”

The blade disappeared back into its sheath, and when he next spoke, it was in Basic and to the jailer. “I am ready to negotiate a price; he will do.”

With that he left the cell and the two figures walked back through the lighted doorway. The door closed, plunging the dungeon back into stinking darkness. Danteel sank down onto the cold, slippery stone floor. The white rat emerged from a shadow and nuzzled his hand for more food. His fingers closed around its natty fur and lifted it back to its perch on his knee. Then, with trembling fingers, he gave it the last greasy crumb.




User avatar
376 Reviews


Points: 16552
Reviews: 376

Donate
Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:54 pm
Trident wrote a review...



I liked this gyr. It was well written, surely, and the plot develops nicely with all the nice small mysteries that you will solve for us later. That keeps me reading.

A couple of suggestions:

-- I felt there needed to be more of a reason for Lark to feel he owed Danteel for sparing his life. A simple threat hardly would move him. Perhaps a show of his strength? Like if he were to life him by his collar against the ship's wall? Just a suggestion.

--Also, the fact that the slave can kill a man if he is sent out by the captain seems a bit... awkward. Why? What sense is behind such a rule/law?

--The introduction was somewhat short. Lark's in a room and then all of a sudden he's carrying luggage. I suggest expanding on that, if you think it will help.

Nice job!




User avatar
504 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 504

Donate
Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:28 pm
Dream Deep wrote a review...



Must... post...more.

Because I already critted this. ;) And I want to read more. *holds Gyr hostage*

Now look at all the free time you have to write. It's like Stephen King's Misery, sans the pig. ^_~

(Please? Post? Please?)




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:17 pm
gyrfalcon says...



:oops:
THANK YOU SO MUCH PHORCYS!!!

(note: the reason I added that first paragraphy -should- become apparant later; the next "chapter" or whatever you like, doesn't follow this one chronologically, it goes back seven years)




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:39 pm
Swires wrote a review...



Ok. This is a rare comment from me.

I loved it. Your style and prose is just polished to publishable perfection. It is beautiful, natural and it is if I have just started reading a new book that has caught my eye in a book shop. The story is told in an awesome sense and perspective with unique characters and their beautiful insights.

Ok - head big now? TIme to deflate it slighty.

A note on formatting

*** is usually used in end format to split scenes however your manuscript should have "#" to split scenes, it is copy editing standards.

Another nit pick is your character appearance - you tend to tell us all at once, add hints throughout the scene, its not necessary to have it all at once.

Also - the italicised beginning. I saw no point in this, it seemed rather pointless and cliched and the story seemed so much better without it.

Regards.





I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor