z

Young Writers Society



Gypsie Eyes: chapter four

by gyrfalcon


Chapter Four

Headmaster Tavrinal bent over a few sheets of parchment, his pen scratching as he wrote. The candle beside him dripped wax onto the oak desktop as the flame spluttered lower and lower. Finally he returned the pen to the inkwell and set aside the pile of papers. Massaging his neck, he glanced into the reflective surface of the window behind his desk. There was only a hint of gray leaking into his long brown hair, and the wrinkles around his eyes were mostly shallow. Not too bad for a younger wizard.

Ashter Tavrinal had managed to become headmaster by one simple technique: he knew exactly when not to use magic. Too much spell-muttering tended to make those who administered the school a little nervous. As such, they had been glad to find a wizard without too many wrinkles who also had a tendency to keep his powers to himself.

Ashter brought the candle to his lips in order to blow it out, and felt a slight shiver run down his spine. He had learned to trust that shiver. Instead of blowing out the candle, he whispered a spell to hide its light from everyone but him, then rose and left his study.

The spring night was comfortable, and the moon overhead cast a wan light that painted the Academé in silken shadows. The campus was huge, and even after years as its headmaster, Tavrinal was still amazed by its size. The buildings were all at least two stories high, made from blocks of reddish sandstone that had been quarried from the cliffs that stood just a few miles east. The three buildings in the middle of the property each stood five stories tall—these contained the main classrooms. In the grassy fields close to the Gypsies’ Forest he could see the worn archery butts. Nearby, the churned dirt showed the use of countless hooves in the practice rings. The main courtyard outside the mess hall, now empty, was often the only place where his students could simply be children.

Ashter glanced up at the waxing moon overhead, then around him for whatever had caused his telling shiver. He had no trouble spotting it. A huge, human-shaped form was lurking at the edge of the Academé’s borders. At least, it was trying to lurk, and not doing a very good job of it due to the fact that it was hopping nervously from foot to foot, sending little tremors through the ground.

Ashter approached it warily. As the candle illuminated the figure’s face, he saw that it was a boy. At least, under normal circumstances the Headmaster would have judged him to be not much older than eleven. This “boy” stood no shorter than twelve feet tall with shoulders as broad a normal man’s arm-span, but there was no mistaking the child-like quality of that face. His bright, innocent blue eyes were red-rimmed, as if he had been crying. Despite the headmaster’s spell, the boy-giant could apparently see the candlelight. Tavrinal relaxed—all of his instincts told him that this was no threat.

“I’m scared of the dark,” whispered the child. His voice was a boy’s voice, true, but so deep that you felt it could rattle stone.

The headmaster took a hesitant step forward. “What’s your name?”

“They call me Boom cause they say my voice is like thunder.”

To Ashter’s unease, silent tears began to stream down the boy’s cheeks. This was well outside his area of experience. He patted the child awkwardly on one huge forearm. “There, there,” was the best he could manage.

“Don’t normally come out anymore, since I just scare people. But…” Boom brought one huge fist into the light and opened it, revealing two broken halves of an arrow. “I wan-wanted to give this back,” he sniffed, wiping his nose. He had managed to stop weeping.

Ashter’s sharp memory came to his aid. Unit thirty-two had been out on the shooting range this afternoon. He quickly brought up a mental register of names and faces…and smiled. “Just wait here,” he said, patting the boy again. “Don’t move.”

“Can I keep the candle?”

The headmaster placed the flickering remains of the candle carefully on the open hand and dashed away with as much dignity as a dashing wizard could manage.

He knocked softly on the door to her dormitory, praying she would be awake. She opened the door for him, and he saw that she was already dressed. So she had felt something too. Jataal may have been more right about her than he knew.

She stiffened when she saw him. “What is it, headmaster?”

“I need your help, Miss Morn,” he said. “Please come with me.”

Karenna came. She didn’t ask questions and she didn’t hesitate. She tensed when she saw Boom standing in the moon-lit shadows. Ashter saw her relax quickly, the magic inside her connecting with the benign magic that pulsed from the boy-giant.

“Boom,” he said softly, “this is Karenna Morn. Miss Morn, this is Boom.”

The child-giant waved one hand. The candle had burned down in his other hand, leaving a small pool of molten wax. “Who are you?” she asked, inching towards him. “I thought giants were just a fairy tale.”

“They are,” Boom rumbled. “I’m not really a giant. But when I was little, I accidentally stepped between two wizards who were fighting. The spells made me grow, my clothes too, and did a lot of other things, and now no one wants me.” Ashter had heard of accidents like this before, but never in his memory had the consequences been so extreme or permanent.

Karenna took his wax-free hand in both her slim ones. She was taller than Ashter; her head came to about the middle of Boom’s torso. “How old are you?” she asked.

“I was eleven when I grew,” he said. “That was…” he lapsed into silence as he thought. “Twenty-six years ago.”

“You’re thirty-seven years old?”

Boom shrugged. “A doctor said my brain and my body won’t grow anymore. He said I’m stuck at eleven, but I know more things than most kids do. I know about…” he paused again, and Ashter could have sworn he blushed, “about where babies come from, and I know about Gypsies and Werebeasts, and about Werenna and Scharon. I know how to live on my own and take care of myself.” He swallowed. “I’m not stupid.”

Karenna stepped closer to him and examined the waxy hand. She began to chip the hardened puddle away with a fingernail, being careful not to scratch him. “No,” she said quietly. “No, you’re not stupid, Boom. You’re just very different, and sometimes humans have trouble dealing with people who aren’t like them. They can be…very cruel.”

Ashter Tavrinal nodded to himself. Every mage, however powerful or accepted, experienced that kind of prejudice at one point or another. And he didn’t even want to imagine what Karenna had had to live with because of her eyes.

Boom sniffed. “You’re not cruel.”

Karenna smiled. “Thank you, Boom.”

The headmaster stepped forward and laid a hand on her shoulder. “Can you handle this?” he asked, knowing the answer.

She nodded, and he left.

* * *

Karenna watched Headmaster Tavrinal go. She wondered, for a moment, why he had chosen her. Because he knows, said a traitorous little voice inside her. He knows what you won’t even admit to yourself.

“Are you all right?” asked Boom.

“I’m fine,” she said automatically.

“Can I pick you up?”

“What?”

He scooped her up gently in one massive hand. She managed not to cry out as her feet left the ground. Boom lifted her until they could see each other face to face. “All right,” she said breathlessly.

Boom smiled. “You’re pretty. You have nice eyes.”

“Not many people think so.”

“Are you a Gypsie?”

Karenna shifted her position on the wide hand. Finally she said, “I don’t know.” It was probably the most honest answer she had ever given that question.

Boom cocked his head to one side. “You look like a Gypsie, tall and a little brownish. How come you don’t know?”

“Because I don’t,” she snapped.

Boom winced and put her down. Karenna took a deep breath. “I’m sorry, Boom; I’m not mad at you.”

“I like Gypsies,” he said, almost as an apology. “They think I’m kinda funny and harmless and let their kids play with me ‘cause their magic doesn’t hurt me. No playing anymore, though. Not since I dropped one.”

“You dropped one of their children!” exclaimed Karenna.

“I didn’t mean to!” Boom explained, looking ashamed and guilty. “He bit my hand really hard. I didn’t mean to.”

“Was he hurt?” she said, trying not to smile. He looked so very comical standing there, huge and unthreatening, nearly crying like the little boy he was.

Boom hiccupped. “Only bruised a bit.”

Karenna sighed a little in relief, but she was becoming rapidly aware that someone was going to hear him. She took his hand and tugged him towards the deeper darkness of the Gypsies’ Forest. “Come on, Boom,” she whispered, “we can’t have anyone finding you here.”

Boom came obediently. She closed her eyes when they first entered among the forbidding trees, praying silently that the Gypsies either wouldn’t see them or wouldn’t care. They went a few yards into the Forest and then Karenna stopped. She looked around at the unfathomable shadows around her. “Will you be all right in here for tonight?”

He nodded. “I live in here. Will you come and visit me tomorrow?”

“I’ll try.” She smiled at him and turned to leave.

Boom put one hand on her shoulder. “Thank you,” he said, and for a moment there was a hint of more than eleven-year-old maturity in his voice and manner.

She pressed her cheek to the hand. “Goodnight, Boom.” And as she stole away back to her own bunk, the forest didn’t seem quite so frightening.

* * *

Tannar heard her open and shut the door quietly as she sneaked back into the dormitories. He had wanted to follow her, had known he should follow her, but he hadn’t. He would follow her tomorrow, he decided.

He sighed and rolled over, pressing his face to his pillow. Oddly enough, the thing he was glad about was not that she had returned safely from whatever errand she had been on—it was the knowledge that Obern had not gone on that errand with her. Still puzzling about why this made him happy, he closed his eyes and rolled over, bracing himself for another boring, sleepless night.

* * *

Vishna turned her head at the sound of footsteps. Avarn entered her study, walking slowly with his hands held out so as not to collide with the haphazard piles of books. “What is it?” she snapped. “I’m busy.”

“You’re always busy, mother,” said Avarn, that infuriating little smile on his lips.

Vishna scowled, but only because she knew he couldn’t see her. “Where’s your little pet? Off playing with the clouds again?”

Avarn’s smile faded. “Tannar is…running an errand for me,” he said, his blank eyes glaring at her.

Against her will, she squirmed in his stare. She hadn’t been able to look him in the eye once in the past six years. “Why you allow him such freedom I’ll never know,” she said. “Their kind need to be kept on a short lead; you of all people should know that.” She didn’t regret the words, not exactly. But as Avarn’s fingers lightly caressed the burn scars that formed a mask-like pattern on his face, she did feel a pang of guilt. Vishna knew the scars still pained him; she herself had dozens all over her body. “I’m sorry…” she faltered.

Avarn exhaled softly. “Your concentration was too deep for Mensha to reach you; she sent me to say dinner’s ready.” He turned away from her and began to navigate his way back to the door.

Vishna reached out a hand to grab his arm, and stopped. “Avarn,” she said, but he was gone.

* * *

Karenna watched from the other end of the mess hall as Obern and Shana smiled and chatted together. Laroo and Menee sat beside her, discussing their classes. She did not touch the bland meat and bread in front of her, nor did she hear the twins’ conversation. Her eyes were fixed upon her unit-mates, and they flashed as Shana laughed at something Obern said and laid a hand on his shoulder.

Before her better judgment could stop her, she closed her eyes and whispered a few short words in Elemental. It was a spell she hadn’t tried before, but it worked as it should. Every word of Shana and Obern’s conversation became clear in her ears, while the ambient noise around her faded away.

“...and with those eyes,” Shana said, almost playfully.

“I don’t know,” said Obern. “I don’t think they’d let her in if she really was a Gypsie; Tavrinal’s not some Class One wizard to be fooled by a kid.”

I’m older than you are, she thought, but kept her irritation in check. In truth she was seventeen, a year older than the required age. Her parents had lied to try to keep her away from this place, from all these people who would judge her as these two were doing.

“Tavrinal may be powerful,” Shana said, as if she doubted the fact, “but you just have to look at his face to see that he’s barely touched a spell-book since he was appointed headmaster—he gets by on reputation. And if she really is a Gypsie, kid or not, she should be strong enough to pull the wool over the eyes of a lazy wizard like that.” Her next words were a low murmur, “Those freaks.”

Again, Karenna had to restrain the desire to let her anger loose. But she was glad she’d decided to eavesdrop; this conversation could seriously affect her safety.

“Well, if Tavrinal couldn’t see through her, what could? An Elementar?” Obern’s tone was half disapproving, half mocking. “Anyway, she hasn’t even shown enough magical potential to rate even a Possible Wizard Class One, and you’re a Class Two yourself.”

If Shana was pleased by the roundabout compliment, she didn’t show it. “You weren’t there when those Werewolves attacked our caravan. She’s a mage all right, but whether a decent human wizard or one of those Gypsie soothsayers I don’t know—what kind of race is made up of all mages anyway? And you should have seen the weather that sprang up; it was almost like those stories about the air-water Elementars and the storms they could conjure at will.”

“So now we’re back on Elementars,” sighed Obern, flinging an arm carelessly around Shana’s narrow shoulders. “Make up your mind, Shan. Either she’s a Gypsie-born soothsayer out to infiltrate the Dirantyri military—Werenna knows why—or she’s a magician with weird eyes who’s managed to gain control of an Elementar before she’s even of age.”

“I never said she was a magician,” Shana retorted.

“So, what, you’re more scared of a Gypsie? Honestly, Shan, I doubt they’d use a kid like her to scout out for a raid. I doubt they’d even try to raid a place like this anyway.”

Before Karenna could hear more of their conversation, Tannar’s voice broke her out of the spell. “This seat taken?”

She jerked and stared up at him. The world around her was too loud after her focused eavesdropping. He grinned that not-quite-human grin of his, balancing his lunch tray on one hand. She moved over to make room for him, her senses coming back into clarity. But she continued to glare at the table across the mess hall from hers, and the weariness she felt was, perhaps, more than simply the price of her magic.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 42

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:06 am
RowanHowler wrote a review...



Hello,

Interesting that in a magic school the headmaster tries not to use magic. I like it :-)

where his students could simply be children.- maybe "teenagers" since most of them are supposed to be 16 and would not really be children.

I wan-wanted to give this back,”- boom becomes instantly tragic and adorable. Poor giant dude.

He would follow her tomorrow, he decided. to know that he should follow her tomorrow, more than he does anyway, he would have to have heard her say she would go back tomorrow, correct? I think this part needs a little clearing up, if only to say he had a feeling he would do well to follow her the next day.

At first I was a little confused about why he would go to Kareena, and even after the brief and vague explanation I wanted just a hint more. I am very interested about the mystery of her character.

I can't help feeling glad that she likes Obern less, that leaves the way for Tanner, ahem. LOl. Loved this chapter and the emotions and intrigue.




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 440

Donate
Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:20 am
gyrfalcon says...



:Edited to include awesome critiques:

Seriously, guys, what am I going to do with you? I'd really appreciate your opinion on how I did at slipping "Gypsie danger hints" into Obern and Shana's conversation--too much, do I need more? Also, Sam, your comment on "The Chosen One" was well aimed. Unfortunately, I can't move that scene because it's crucial to setting up most of what happens in the next chapter (which is crucial to the rest of the book ;)). I do give a little bit of set up to why Tavrinal chooses Karenna: Tavrinal thinks "Jataal may have been more right about her than he knew." when he finds her already dressed. Do you think I need more than that? How would I include it?

Again, thanks so very much, all of you. Chapter Five will have to wait until I've done some reviewing of my own (I'm feeling so guilty about posting and posting and posting), but it will be out soon!




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 798

Donate
Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:54 am
Jiggity wrote a review...



Hiya, Gyr!

I read this when you posted it, but I didn't really have much to say. I realised then that I had read this chapter before as well, so now its a bit of game with my memory. I keep thinking the current chapter is the last one I read only for the next one to prove me wrong. :wink:

Anyway, this was good. No need to be nitpicky like the rest, because, well, they were nitpicky. Makes sense, right? Sure, lets go with that. I don't actually have much to say, except that I agree with Sam in that you should start dropping, at the very least, hints about the Gypsies.

It would make for an interesting classroom lesson, no? If the teacher was going on about Gypsies, trying not to stare at Karenna, like the rest of the class.... 'twould be awkward. There's a thought for you to consider.

Obern’s tone was a half disapproving, half mocking.


Nix 'a'.

That is all.

Cheers!




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:14 pm
Sam wrote a review...



Hey, Gyr!

Yessss, chapter four. ^_^ I'm really excited for this--it seems that things are picking up speed. It's really fun once you get into the middle of a novel and can mess with all the plot stuff. I usually only get to read the prologue or a short story and then the writer gives up, so. It's cool that I get to roll around with Tannar and Karenna and the gang.
(Also, I kind of love Boom--I'm glad I got to meet him in this chapter.)

GYPSIE PRIDE

So, it's four chapters in, and I'm still not entirely certain why it's such a bad thing to be a gypsie. What exactly does that mean? You don't have to make it a huge infodump moment, but just a few insights into why humans fear the gypsies as they do will make it seem a bit more believable. You can think of it like earthly racism--eventually it's blown out of proportion until the race feared becomes a bit of mythology, but there were initial acts or infractions that caused the cycle to start.

A few questions to get your mind going:

- What might Karenna be capable of doing to the student body, were she a gypsie?
- What special powers would put the other students at a disadvantage?
- What have gypsies done in the past to cause such widespread fear?
- How do the gypsies live? Are they feared simply because they're different?

THE CHOSEN ONE

I wasn't really sure why the headmaster chose to use Karenna, considering they just started school and he wasn't fully acquainted--besides which, she's his student. I was pondering this for a moment, and I think you could simply switch up the ordering of the scenes. The eavesdropping scene should come before Boom, because then some of the fears and such about her abilities are discussed. It's kind of a refresher course, right before the headmaster shows up.

Speaking of refresher courses--you should probably add in a note or two to remind us of who Avarn was. That way, we don't have to flip back to the prologue.

___

Thanks for the heads up, Gyr--sorry it took me so long! I normally don't check the fantasy forum, so. This was an excellent chapter and I'm looking forward to the next. ^_^




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:56 pm
Twit wrote a review...



Massaging his neck, he glanced into the reflective surface of the window set behind his desk.


When I read that, my mind was going, “Oh… window set. Like television set.” :roll: Then I had to reread several times.



As Ashter brought the candle to his lips in order to blow it out, he felt a slight shiver run down his spine.


It’s not exactly wrong, but if you were going to be uber finiticky, you might consider rewording. I don’t know, this just feels weird.


He had learned to trust that shiver.


By the pricking in my thumbs, something wicked this way comes…


The spring night was comfortable, and the moon overhead cast a wan light that painted the Academé in silken shadows.


I shall be consulting your lawyer to discuss my rights to that phrase.


The campus was huge, and even after years as its headmaster, Tavrinal was still constantly amazed by its size.


Nix. Redundancy.


The three buildings in the middle of the property each stood five stories tall—these housed the main classrooms.


Classrooms need houses?


In the grassy fields closest to the Gypsies’ Forest he could see the worn archery butts, and the earth showed the use of countless hooves in the practice rings.


This sentence is kinda mixed up. Closest might be better as “close” and the bit about the practise rings feels tacked on, and gets in the way. Maybe make this into two sentences, with the fields in the first and the practise rings in the second, thus slowing the pace down and making it clearer.


Ashter glanced up at the waxing moon overhead, then around him for the origin of his telling shiver.


That’s… I don’t know. Kind of lame.


A huge, human-shaped form was lurking at the edge of the Academé’s borders. At least, it was trying to lurk, and not doing a very good job of it due to the fact that it was hopping nervously from foot to foot, sending little tremors through the ground.


Aw… :wink:


Tavrinal relaxed—all of his instincts told him that this was no threat.


No, really?


To Ashter’s unease, silent tears began to stream down the boy’s cheeks. This was well outside his area of experience. He patted the child awkwardly on one huge forearm. “There, there,” was the best he could manage.


Oh, sweet. :D But should Boom be this weepy? Even though he’s different and traumatised and all, [s]small[/s] young boys don’t like to break down in front of complete strangers.


“Don’t normally come out anymore, since I just scare people. But…” Boom brought one head-sized fist into the light and opened it.


Whoa… Head-sized fist. Sounds like an oxymoron or something. Maybe use a different whatchacallamite -- one that doesn’t rely on another body part.


Two broken halves of an arrow lay there.


It drags, and feels unfinished.


“I wan-wanted to give this back,” he said, wiping his nose.


Maybe a different verb? Sniffled? “Said” lets the side down.


Ashter’s sharp memory came to his aid.


Imho, you could take this out. It doesn’t really add much. But you could keep it if you really wanted.


The headmaster placed the flickering remains of the candle carefully on the open hand and dashed away with as much dignity as a dashing wizard could manage.


The problem here is that “dashing” can have two meanings, and in connection with a person, it takes on the second meaning. As in, “Buttercup thought Westley looked extremely dashing, dressed as the Dread Pirate Roberts.”


Karenna came. She didn’t ask questions and didn’t hesitate.


It isn’t strictly necessary, but you could add in a second “she”. “She didn’t ask questions and she didn’t hesitate.” More impact, sa?


She tensed only for a moment when she saw Boom standing in the moon-lit shadows.


This would flow better as for only a moment.


Ashter saw her relax quickly, the magic inside her connecting with the benign magic that pulsed from the boy-giant.


You’ve already said that she didn’t stay tense for long. Like you’re always telling me, ’tis redundant! :wink:


The candle had burned down in his other hand, leaving a small pool of molten wax.


Ouchie! :shock: Melted wax really, really hurts.


“They are,” Boom rumbled.


“Rumbled” makes me think of someone old and gruff. I know he’s big, but his voice isn’t gruff like an old man’s, is it?


“I was eleven when I grew,” he said. “That was…” he lapsed into silence as he thought,twenty-six years ago.”


Make that a full stop and a capital letter on twenty-six.


Boom shrugged. “A doctor said my brain and my body won’t grow anymore. He said I’m stuck at eleven, but I know more things than most kids do. I know about…” he paused again, and Ashter could have sworn he blushed, “about where babies come from, and I know about Gypsies and Werebeasts, and about Werenna and Scharon. I know how to live on my own and take care of myself.” He hung his head sheepishly. “I’m not stupid.”


“Where babies come from…” :lol: Rofl, I love that part! The “kids” is still very jarring, though.


Karenna stepped closer to him and examined the waxy hand. She began to chip the hardened puddle away, being careful not to scratch him.


With what? Something sharp, I’m thinking? Say what it is and where she got it from, otherwise I think it might be a mild Deus ex Machina. Couldn’t she peel it off? Just loosen the edges and it would come away fine.


She managed not to cry out as her feet left the ground and her legs dangled over the edge of his palm.


Run-on actions? First her feet are leaving the ground, and the next second her legs are dangling, sir, dangling. I can’t really picture it.


Finally she said, “I don’t know.” It was probably the most honest answer she had ever given that question.


Perhaps, “It was the probably the most honest answer she had ever given to anyone who had asked that question” might flow better. Or something like that. You make it sound like the question’s the one who’s doing the asking.


Boom cocked his head to one side. “You look like a Gypsie, tall and a little coppery-skinned. How come you don’t know?”


“A little coppery-skinned” isn’t really speech. “You look a bit brown” would be more realistic.


Vishna reached out a hand to grab his arm, and stopped. “Avarn,” she said, but he was gone.


“Already gone” might make it flow better.


Laroo and Menee sat on either side of her, discussing their classes. She did not touch the bland meat and bread in front of her, nor did she hear the twins’ conversation.


I’d change the first “of her” as it sounds a little funny.


Her eyes were fixed upon her unit-mates, and they flashed as Shana laughed at something Obern said and laid a hand on his shoulder.


Guh, flashing eyes. Like badly fixed light bulbs. No, it’s probably fine, but eyes doing things like annoys me a little.


Her parents had lied to try to keep her away from this place, from all these people who would judge her as these two were doing.


Word says this should be a semi colon, but Word has often said that it should be it’s instead of its, so I don’t really trust the little green lines anymore.

she was glad she’d decided to eavesdrop; this conversation could seriously affect her safety.


And eavesdropping is fun!


“Well, if Tavrinal couldn’t see through her, what could? An Elementar?” Obern’s tone was a half disapproving, half mocking.


Nix the “a”?


Before Karenna could hear more of their conversation, Tannar’s voice broke her out of the spell, “This seat taken?”


Full stop instead of a comma.


She jerked and stared up at him, the world around her too loud after her focused eavesdropping.


Perhaps reword? It’s the “too loud” part that bothers.


But she continued to glare at the table across the mess hall from hers, and the weariness she felt was, perhaps, more than simply the price of her magic.


And how much is this magic? Half an hour of increasing weariness with possible side effects of headaches thrown in… Perhaps, “the weariness she felt was perhaps more than from simply using her magic.” I don’t know, maybe it can stay the same. :?


---

As always, I took ages, but it was wonderful once I did get here. ^_^ If I'm annoyingly picky, it's only because I want GE to be good as poss. so your publishers fall over themselves to do business with you. :D




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 241

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:56 am
lyrical_sunshine wrote a review...



gyrfalcon wrote:Chapter Four

Headmaster Tavrinal bent over a few sheets of parchment, his pen scratching as he wrote. The candle beside him dripped wax onto the oak desktop as the flame spluttered lower and lower. Finally he returned the pen to the inkwell and set aside the pile of papers. Massaging his neck, he glanced into the reflective surface of the window set behind his desk. There was only a hint of gray leaking into his long brown hair, and the wrinkles around his eyes were mostly shallow. Not too bad for a younger wizard.

Ashter Tavrinal had managed to become headmaster by one simple technique: he knew exactly when not to use magic. Too much spell-muttering tended to make those who administered the school a little nervous. As such, they had been glad to find a wizard without too many wrinkles who also had a tendency to keep his powers to himself.

As Ashter brought the candle to his lips in order to blow it out, he felt a slight shiver run down his spine. He had learned to trust that shiver. Instead of blowing out the candle, he whispered a spell to hide its light from everyone but him, then rose and left his study.

The spring night was comfortable, and the moon overhead cast a wan light that painted the Academé in silken shadows. The campus was huge, and even after years as its headmaster, Tavrinal was still constantly amazed by its size. The buildings were all at least two stories high, made from blocks of reddish sandstone that had been quarried from the cliffs that stood just a few miles east. The three buildings in the middle of the property each stood five stories tall—these housed the main classrooms. In the grassy fields closest to the Gypsies’ Forest he could see the worn archery butts, and the earth showed the use of countless hooves in the practice rings. The main courtyard outside the mess hall, now empty, was often the only place where his students could find time to be simply children. (Try "could simply be children." It just flows better.)

Ashter glanced up at the waxing moon overhead, then around [s]him[/s] for the origin of his telling shiver. He had no trouble spotting it. A huge, human-shaped form was lurking at the edge of the Academé’s borders. At least, it was trying to lurk, and not doing a very good job of it due to the fact that it was hopping nervously from foot to foot, sending little tremors through the ground.

Ashter approached it warily. As the candle illuminated the figure’s face, he saw that it was a boy. At least, under normal circumstances the Headmaster would have judged him to be not much older than eleven. This “boy” stood no shorter than twelve feet tall with shoulders as broad a normal man’s arm-span, but there was no mistaking the child-like quality of that face. His bright, innocent blue eyes were red-rimmed, as if he had been crying. Despite the headmaster’s spell, the boy-giant could apparently see the candlelight. Tavrinal relaxed—all of his instincts told him that this was no threat.

“I’m scared of the dark,” whispered the child. His voice was a boy’s voice, true, but so deep that you felt it could rattle stone.

The headmaster took a hesitant step forward. “What’s your name?”

“They call me Boom cause they say my voice is like thunder.”

To Ashter’s unease, silent tears began to stream down the boy’s cheeks. This was well outside his area of experience. (Ha ha. I kow people like that.) He patted the child awkwardly on one huge forearm. “There, there,” was the best he could manage.

“Don’t normally come out anymore, since I just scare people. But…” Boom brought one head-sized fist into the light and opened it. Two broken halves of an arrow lay there. “I wan-wanted to give this back,” he said, wiping his nose. He had managed to stop weeping.

Ashter’s sharp memory came to his aid. Unit thirty-two had been out on the shooting range this afternoon. He quickly brought up a mental register of names and faces…and smiled. “Just wait here,” he said, patting the boy again. “Don’t move.”

“Can I keep the candle?”

The headmaster placed the flickering remains of the candle carefully on the open hand and dashed away with as much dignity as a dashing wizard could manage. (Teehee. Good imagery.)

He knocked softly on the door to her dormitory, praying she would be awake. She opened the door for him, and he saw that she was already dressed. So she had felt something too. Jataal may have been more right about her than he knew.

She stiffened when she saw him. “What is it, headmaster?”

“I need your help, Miss Morn,” he said. “Please come with me.”

Karenna came. She didn’t ask questions and didn’t hesitate. She tensed only for a moment when she saw Boom standing in the moon-lit shadows. Ashter saw her relax quickly, the magic inside her connecting with the benign magic that pulsed from the boy-giant.

“Boom,” he said softly, “this is Karenna Morn. Miss Morn, this is Boom.”

The child-giant waved one hand. The candle had burned down in his other hand, leaving a small pool of molten wax. “Who are you?” she asked, inching towards him. “I thought giants were just a fairy tale.”

“They are,” Boom rumbled. “I’m not really a giant. But when I was little, I accidentally stepped between two wizards who were fighting. The spells made me grow, my clothes too, and did a lot of other things, and now no one wants me.” Ashter had heard of accidents like this before, but never in his memory had the consequences been so extreme or permanent.

Karenna took his wax-free hand in both her slim ones. She was taller than Ashter; her head came to about the middle of Boom’s torso. “How old are you?” she asked.

“I was eleven when I grew,” he said. “That was…” he lapsed into silence as he thought, “twenty-six years ago.”

“You’re thirty-seven years old?”

Boom shrugged. “A doctor said my brain and my body won’t grow anymore. He said I’m stuck at eleven, but I know more things than most kids do. I know about…” he paused again, and Ashter could have sworn he blushed, “about where babies come from, (*snickers immaturely*) and I know about Gypsies and Werebeasts, and about Werenna and Scharon. I know how to live on my own and take care of myself.” He hung his head sheepishly. “I’m not stupid.” (Hmm, hanging your head doesn't seem to go with a statement like, "I'm not stupid." That's a defiant statement to me.)

Karenna stepped closer to him and examined the waxy hand. She began to chip the hardened puddle away, being careful not to scratch him. “No,” she said quietly. “No, you’re not stupid, Boom. You’re just very different, and sometimes humans have trouble dealing with people who aren’t like them. They can be…very cruel.”

Ashter Tavrinal nodded to himself. Every mage, however powerful or accepted, experienced that kind of prejudice at one point or another. And he didn’t even want to imagine what Karenna had had to live with because of her eyes.

Boom sniffed. “You’re not cruel.”

Karenna smiled. “Thank you, Boom.”

The headmaster stepped forward and laid a hand on her shoulder. “Can you handle this?” he asked, knowing the answer.

She nodded, and he left.

* * *

Karenna watched Headmaster Tavrinal go. She wondered, for a moment, why he had chosen her. Because he knows, said a traitorous little voice inside her. He knows what you won’t even admit to yourself.

“Are you all right?” asked Boom.

“I’m fine,” she said automatically.

“Can I pick you up?”

“What?”

He scooped her up gently in one massive hand. She managed not to cry out as her feet left the ground and her legs dangled over the edge of his palm. Boom lifted her until they could see each other face to face. “All right,” she said breathlessly.

Boom smiled. “You’re pretty. You have nice eyes.”

“Not many people think so.”

“Are you a Gypsie?”

Karenna shifted her position on the wide hand. Finally she said, “I don’t know.” It was probably the most honest answer she had ever given that question.

Boom cocked his head to one side. “You look like a Gypsie, tall and a little coppery-skinned. How come you don’t know?”

“Because I don’t,” she snapped.

Boom winced and put her down. Karenna took a deep breath. “I’m sorry, Boom; I’m not mad at you.”

“I like Gypsies,” he said, almost as an apology. “They think I’m kinda funny and harmless and let their kids play with me ‘cause their magic doesn’t hurt me. No playing anymore, though. Not since I dropped one.”

“You dropped one of their children!” exclaimed Karenna.

“I didn’t mean to!” Boom explained, looking ashamed and guilty. “He bit my hand really hard. I didn’t mean to.”

“Was he hurt?” she said, trying not to smile. He looked so very comical standing there, huge and unthreatening, nearly crying like the little boy he was.

Boom hiccupped. “Only bruised a bit.”

Karenna sighed a little in relief, but she was becoming rapidly aware that someone was going to hear him. She took his hand and tugged him towards the deeper darkness of the Gypsies’ Forest. “Come on, Boom,” she whispered, “we can’t have anyone finding you here.”

Boom came obediently. She closed her eyes when they first entered among the forbidding trees, praying silently that the Gypsies either wouldn’t see them or wouldn’t care. They went a few yards into the Forest and then Karenna stopped. She looked around at the unfathomable shadows around her. “Will you be all right in here for tonight?”

He nodded. “I live in here. Will you come and visit me tomorrow?”

“I’ll try.” She smiled at him and turned to leave.

Boom put one hand on her shoulder. “Thank you,” he said, and for a moment there was a hint of more than eleven-year-old maturity in his voice and manner.

She pressed her cheek to the hand. “Goodnight, Boom.” And as she stole away back to her own bunk, the forest didn’t seem quite so frightening.

* * *

Tannar heard her open and shut the door quietly as she sneaked back into the dormitories. He had wanted to follow her, had known he should follow her, but he hadn’t. He would follow her tomorrow, he decided.

He sighed and rolled over, pressing his face to his pillow. Oddly enough, the thing he was glad about was not that she had returned safely from whatever errand she had been on—it was the knowledge that Obern had not gone on that errand with her. Still puzzling about why this made him happy, he closed his eyes and rolled over, bracing himself for another boring, sleepless night.

* * *

Vishna turned her head at the sound of footsteps. Avarn entered her study, walking slowly with his hands held out so as not to collide with the haphazard piles of books. “What is it?” she snapped. “I’m busy.”

“You’re always busy, mother,” said Avarn, that infuriating little smile on his lips.
Vishna scowled, but only because she knew he couldn’t see her. “Where’s your little pet? Off playing with the clouds again?” (*gets defensive on Tannar's behalf*)

Avarn’s smile faded. “Tannar is…running an errand for me,” he said, his blank eyes glaring at her.

Against her will, she squirmed in his stare. She hadn’t been able to look him in the eye once in the past six years. “Why you allow him such freedom I’ll never know,” she said. “Their kind need to be kept on a short lead, (semicolon instead of comma) you of all people should know that.” She didn’t regret the words, not exactly. But as Avarn’s fingers lightly caressed the burn scars that formed a mask-like pattern on his face, she did feel a pang of guilt. Vishna knew the scars still pained him; she herself had dozens all over her body. “I’m sorry…” she said, and for once she truly meant it. (Why would she say sorry if she didn't regret the words?)

Avarn exhaled softly. “Your concentration was too deep for Mensha to reach you; she sent me to say dinner’s ready.” He turned away from her and began to navigate his way back to the door.

Vishna reached out a hand to grab his arm, and stopped. “Avarn,” she said, but he was gone.

* * *

Karenna watched from the other end of the mess hall as Obern and Shana smiled and chatted together. Laroo and Menee sat on either side of her, discussing their classes. She did not touch the bland meat and bread in front of her, nor did she hear the twins’ conversation. Her eyes were fixed upon her unit-mates, and they flashed as Shana laughed at something Obern said and laid a hand on his shoulder.

Before her better judgment could stop her, she closed her eyes and whispered a few short words in Elemental. It was a spell she hadn’t tried before, but it worked as it should. Every word of Shana and Obern’s conversation became clear in her ears, while the ambient noise around her faded away.

“...and with those eyes,” Shana said, almost playfully.

“I don’t know,” said Obern. “I don’t think they’d let her in if she really was a Gypsie; Tavrinal’s not some Class One wizard to be fooled by a kid.”

I’m older than you are, she thought, but kept her irritation in check. In truth she was seventeen, a year older than the required age. Her parents had lied to try to keep her away from this place, from all these people who would judge her as these two were doing.

“Tavrinal may be powerful,” Shana said, as if she doubted the fact, “but you just have to look at his face to see that he’s barely touched a spell-book since he was appointed headmaster—he gets by on reputation. And if she really is a Gypsie, kid or not, she should be strong enough to pull the wool over the eyes of a lazy wizard like that.”

Again, Karenna had to restrain the desire to let her anger loose. But she was glad she’d decided to eavesdrop; this conversation could seriously affect her safety.

“Well, if Tavrinal couldn’t see through her, what could? An Elementar?” Obern’s tone was a half disapproving, half mocking. “Anyway, she hasn’t even shown enough magical potential to rate even a Possible Wizard Class One, and you’re a Class Two yourself.”

If Shana was pleased by the roundabout compliment (comma) she didn’t show it. “You weren’t there when those Werewolves attacked our caravan. She’s a mage all right, but whether a decent human wizard or one of those Gypsie soothsayers I don’t know. And you should have seen the weather that sprang up; it was almost like those stories about the air-water Elementars and the storms they could conjure at will.”

“So now we’re back on Elementars,” sighed Obern, flinging an arm carelessly around Shana’s narrow shoulders. “Make up your mind, Shan, (semicolon instead of comma) either she’s a Gypsie-born soothsayer out to infiltrate the Dirantyri military or she’s a magician with weird eyes who’s managed to gain control of an Elementar before she’s even of age.”

“I never said she was a magician,” Shana retorted.

Before Karenna could hear more of their conversation, Tannar’s voice broke her out of the spell, (period) “This seat taken?”

She jerked and stared up at him, the world around her too loud after her focused eavesdropping. He grinned that not-quite-human grin of his, balancing his lunch tray on one hand. She moved over to make room for him, her senses coming back into clarity. But she continued to glare at the table across the mess hall [s]from hers[/s], and the weariness she felt was, perhaps, more than simply the price of her magic.


Ooh, good good! Unrequited love - it's just so addicting isn't it?

You fixed the wordiness problem! Congratulations! *throws confetti*

I really loved Boom, and Tavrinal is growing on me too. The little snippets of information about Avarn and his mother were wonderful; they gave us just enough but not too much, if that makes sense.

Other than that, I really have no other critiques. But I will be pestering you for more. *pesters*





“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing