Prologue (The Final Dream)

by ghost223

“What is it that you’re saying? Are you telling me that there’s never going to be a real life for my daughter? Is that it? It all boils down to an organism that I can’t even pronounce taking away from her vitality and now she’s stuck that way?” Lexi’s mom certainly made her voice known, but she was not loud, nor was she rude to the nurse.

“That’s not entirely true, ma’am. First off, it’s not an organism causing this, it’s a lack of oxygen to the brain. We have diagnosed her with a severe case of Cerebral Hypoxia. This means that she’s not getting oxygen to the largest part of her brain, the Cerebral Hemispheres. Secondly, there is a chance of recovery, but it’s slim at best.”

“How’d she even get Cerebral Hyp—whatever you said?”

“During birth, at some point, the umbilical cord was wrapped around her throat, causing severe asphyxiation. We believe that this may be the cause of her ailment. In a comatose state, your daughter may be, possibly right now, creating a life for herself, even if it’s only in her head. It’s sort of like one big dream but, in her head, it’s far more than a dream; she’s living her own reality; however, if she wakes up, you should know that there may be long-term damage to her brain.”

“This is all my fault. I could’ve been healthier. Drank a little less. Smoked a little less. Maybe then she would’ve turned out to be a normal child. Instead, she’s…God,” She start to pray quietly.

God, I promise I’ll live healthier. I’ll stop drinking and smoking. I’ll come to church on Sundays. I’ll do anything, please, just give me my baby back.

She stood up and paced for a few seconds, then sat back down. She kept wondering how anyone could take news like this. How could she possibly be content with never having a normal daughter? The nurse snapped her from her trance.

“Ma’am, there’s no way you could’ve predicted this. Not only that, this was a physical event that was not caused by smoking or drinking. I bet she would’ve been such a great child, too. With a mother like you, she would’ve been perfect...You’re so caring even though you don’t know her. It’s a pure love that I don’t think I’ll understand for a long time. Let me be the first to congratulate you and welcome you to parenthood,” the nurse walked to the newborn resting in the incubator. “And allow me to be the first to welcome you to the world.”

All Lexi’s mom could do was stare at the heart monitor and listen to the oddly soothing regularity of the ear piercing, yet rhythmic beeps that it made solely to contradict the silence.

Lexi, I hope you’re living out your dreams, even if mine are shattered.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:31 am
AwkwardMeerkat wrote a review...

Take most of this with a grain of salt, especially the first paragraph. The second one consider more but the first one is more something to think about you continue writing this.
This really is a great start for a story! It's a neat concept and I can't wait to see where it goes. I do think something you should do with a type of story such as this is probably not lay it all out for us. give us something to wait for and to want to understand about the story. For all I know this story could go a completely different way, this is just the prologue after all. For now, it seems to be a recovery story, maybe this would be a great plot twist. Truly I'll have to read more to understand what you want your overall concept to be.
Another thing to consider is to show not tell. This means use a characters actions rather than thoughts and dialogue to describe what a character is thinking or feeling. Don't be afraid to describe what a character is doing with their face or voice. This can really help drive home emotion and the true severity of the situation.
Anyway, love your story start, can't wait to read more.

RoseTulipLily wrote a review...

Greetings! I must say this was must an interesting start. You manage to set up the beginning of the story quite well. Though it would have been nice to show a bit more of the emotions Lexi's mother was feeling as the nurse explained what was happening to Lexi, but that's just my opinion so make of it what you will. You still managed to convey her feelings of self-blame through her words, though, so I'll praise you for that.

'She *starts* to pray quietly' is the correct way to say that.

Also, you might want to put quotation marks around the prayer Lexi's mom says since it is a part of dialogue.

Keeping writing. After all, practice makes perfect :)

ghost223 says...

I didn't quote it because it's in her head. She's thinking (the italics didn't work)

u can't have villains exist just 2 b villains
— ShadowVyper