The Day of Judgement

by ghazal

THE DEAFENING TRUMPETS BLEW

THE BLAZING LIGHTS GLEW

PEOPLE WOKE UP FROM THEIR SLUMBER

FRIGHTENED, SHOCKED AND MOVED IN LUMBER

JUDGEMENT DAY THAT EVERYBODY REACHED

TO ACCOUNT FOR WHICH THEY WERE PREACHED

THE ONES WHO DID GOOD DEEDS

WORE SILVER DIAMOND BEADS

THE ONES WHO DID BAD DEEDS

WERE TORN AND LEFT TO BLEED

THE HEAVEN AND HELL WERE READY

EVERYBODY STOOD STEADY

THE TWO BOOKS WERE GIVEN TO GOD

AS HE IS THE CHERISHER AND THE LORD

HE DECIDED TO GIVE A CALL

TO ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE JUDGEMENT HALL

THE DEVIL WAS CAGED

TO WHOM THE GOD WAS RAGED

HE CALLED US ONE BY ONE

VERDICTED ON WHAT WE HAVE DONE

SOME WERE WEEPING SOME WERE SCARED

SOME WERE DELIGHTED AND SOME WERE DARED

WHEN THERE CAME MY TURN

TO HIM I CRIED AND BEGUN

TO BEG ME PARDON

GRANT ME HEAVEN

HE SHOWED ME MY BOOK

I HAD A GLASSY LOOK

IT MADE ME LITTLE SHOOK

AS HE HANDED ME THE BOOK

THE ANGELS ACCOMPANIED ME ON MY WAY

TO THE PLACE CHOSEN FOR MY STAY

HEAVEN WAS THE PLACE WHERE I WAS DROPPED

AS A RESULT OF THE DEEDS I HAD CROPPED...

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:44 pm
Aley wrote a review...

So overall I didn't really like this. I do like that you have some tension build up through the poem. You do a good job with keeping suspense going and making the reader continue forward. I think you have a good way with narrative, but as a poem, I didn't really like it. I think you were way too heavy handed with the rhymes. A lot of them just sounded cheesy because you've constructed this poem around them instead of around the images that are potentially there for this judgement day. I also feel like because everything is in caps, you really had to reach for a higher range, and that sort of failed the poem too. Think of it like a roller coaster, if you start at the top of the hill, you don't have the suspense of getting up there. Instead, you have to start at the bottom of the other side and gradually crawl up so that when you plummet, you've built all that suspense visually. Here, we're at the top of the mountain and there's no where higher to go when you're looking for that higher place for "He" and you end up using bold and italics, which just makes the poem look a bit tacky.

I think if you backed off using the caps lock, you'd find that the poem had a lot more space to really get into the volume you're looking for. You have a really good way with suspense and I think if you pushed that with using caps and lower cased letters you would find that you have a lot of room to build it even farther. Thanks for sharing this with us.

ghazal says...

You jus want me to convert whole into lower case right? And nothing else?

Looking forward to your suggestions..ghsnjs for reviewing

Aley says...

Shift the appropriate points into lower case, but not necessarily all of it, yeah. Working on making a poem rhyme better is pretty hard, so I'm not really worried about that.

ghazal says...

ok aley i will see to it! thanks keep reviewing my other work too..

LathayanKetilher wrote a review...

It is a nice start, good for someone who just started to upload his/her work.
I'm not really a fan of religion, but even so, I can say I liked "THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT".
One thing I didn't like (and this is only my opinion) it's the happy ending, for I use to dislike a perfect and happy finale, but in spite of that, very good job.

ghazal says...

thanks alot! i will be uploading my other work too kindly let me know of any changes!

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda