z

Young Writers Society



lost in thought

by geebee


I sit in silence,
not knowing what to think,
or to do,
I stare at the wall but my mind wonders into the depths of my thoughts,
I can't help but think about him,
the sound of his voice,
his laugh,
his smile,
that perfect smile,
and when I see him,
I can't help but smile to myself,
no one sees me,
or understands,
but I do,
and I smile until my heart jumps inside me,
and the blood pumps faster in my veins,
though I can't help but wonder if he feels the same way when he sees me,
inside me, theres hope that he does,
and as I pass by him,
my smile grows,
and yet,
its wrong


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 1726
Reviews: 13

Donate
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:21 am
Azzman88 wrote a review...



Hey geebee,
Like the majority, repeating the word smile really got boring. Using another word would really improve this poem. Also, you used the phrase "i cant help but" 3 times, i think you need to cut these out and think of a way around them to make your poem sounds better. So switch it up and this becomes very enjoyable to read!!




User avatar
356 Reviews


Points: 10701
Reviews: 356

Donate
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 pm
*writewatiwant* wrote a review...



Hi geebee! I'm Kat, and I'll be reviewing, okay? :)

Now, as Amy has mentioned, just by looking at the poem you can see that the flow will be messy. Do you know why? Because normally, even lines would have a more balanced flow, even though that does not always happen because it can also be wordy, but in this case, you go from a line with three words, to another with the triple of that! If you re-read this out loud, I'm sure you'll notice that you cut off the flow of it. As if you did a full stop on everything a poem has (imagery, emotion) just to try and get to the end of the longest line. So, easy fix. Break some down ;) Take a look at this: topic39024.html An awesome article by our dearest Jon, that I'm sure it'll help you.

The thing about this, is that this is just an 'okay' poem, you know? Mainly due to the fact that this is a very used theme, and so you have to bring some originality to it, so that it can sound new and refreshing. I know you can find some way to bring this up a notch ;)

Thanks for posting this! And PM me if you need anything.
- Kat




User avatar
436 Reviews


Points: 83309
Reviews: 436

Donate
Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:26 pm
AquaMarine wrote a review...



One thing here that kind of bugs me is the length of some of your lines. Even by just looking at the poem I can see extra long lines which totally break the flow. They can be easily split up, so why not break them and see how much better it flows?

And, I have to agree with everyone else, you do overuse the word 'smile'. Why not check in a thesaurus and find some nice alternatives?

And what you really want to do is make this poem really original. Take an idea of the romance you think is unique enough, and really expand on it.

~Amy




User avatar
286 Reviews


Points: 625
Reviews: 286

Donate
Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 pm
silented1 wrote a review...



I stare at the wall but my mind wonders into the depths of my thoughts,
and
though I can't help but wonder if he feels the same way when he sees me,

Both of these lines break and mess up the rhythem. And like kamas said you did use smile a lot, too much. It did get annoying. And if you trim those lines down, you can get the rhythem fixed and it would look nicer too. Those are my only real complaints.
Goodluck keep writing.

Silented1.




User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 49068
Reviews: 373

Donate
Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 am
Kamas wrote a review...



Hi geebee!

Kamas here to review, but I'm going ask something quick of you. Can you please review a few works before you post a piece? It's the courtesy policy of the site, and the more you review, the more people in return will give you reviews!

Now:

This is a good start you have here but you have a few problems I'd like to address.

Redundancy

You use the word smile far too much. As well as his, he, him. It gets boring to read the same word over, even more then twice. Using a thesaurus is something I highly recommend to anyone. I bought a big one for myself when I write poetry :D

For example:

Smile can become - grin, beam, smirk (more of a harsher smile), leer.

Or you can be more creative and link words together that hints a smile.

Cliches

The biggest problem with this poem is the fact that it hits a cliche that most people hit. They are incredibly difficult to avoid when it comes to romantic poetry. You don't want to use the words you've seen before, or the phrases. Those are lines that are stored in your brain for the past. You want to take those lines and twist it to be your own.

The narrator in love with someone that doesn't love them back is much to used to please.

Now there is one thing you could do that leads me to my next point.

Language

You can use words to phrase a cliche a whole new way. Sure it remains a cliche at heart, but when you learn to twist the language to your will then you'll be able to phrase things that aren't cliches.

I apologize if I sound like a rambling fool. I do hope I helped a little, and if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a lines. I'm happy to help!

Keep writing.

Kamas




User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3263
Reviews: 158

Donate
Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 am
thewritingdoc wrote a review...



I stare at the wall but my mind wonders into the depths of my thoughts,

line sounded awkward to me. Try cutting it up a bit, often works well with poetry. :)

his laugh,
his smile,
that perfect smile,
and when I see him,
I can't help but smile to myself,

Oh boy! I was ready to go crazy at the overuse of the word smile here. Try switching it up. Look up some synonyms for smile (: Also, perfect isn't a very powerful word to use here.. May I suggest something like glorious or radiant? Show the beauty of his smile!


Overall: Sweet poem, really portrays emotion. Impressive hook and conclusion, I enjoyed reading it. All I would do here is just spice it up with a little bit of interesting words! Well done.
:)
7/10





If you receive a bribe, you must report it in your income.
— John Oliver