Your Pretty Blue Sundress

by galadriel

The beach’s sand is white, grainy, and pure. It darkens as the tide rushes up to greet it, then runs back down again, frightened. There are so many things to be scared of these days, but at the moment, we’re safe in this sandy haven.

You walk along the shore line, barefoot and careless. The sand is chilly underneath our toes. It’s barely light out; the sky is pastel blue and purple and streaked with violet. It’s beautiful and sad at the same time. The first shy rays of sunlight are starting to peek out from behind clouds, casting upon your face. It lights you up, makes you look holy and golden in a time of despair and ruin.

The first bomb goes off and you look up towards the pastel purple sky. You smile and strip off the lacy white sweater that was covering your shoulders, tossing it into the sand beside my feet.

“Come into the water,” you say softly. Ash is falling from the sky. It lands in your ink-black hair, catches onto your faded blue sundress. Is this how it will end, catching up to us at this quiet, whitewashed sanctuary?

I stand up and edge toward the water. Another bomb goes off, a resounding boom that shakes the earth. The bombs are getting closer and this isn’t something to fool around with, yet you’re not taking anything seriously. You’re bending over a tidal pool, turning over shells under the water with your graceful white fingers.

I look at you nervously. “Shouldn’t we be going? They’re coming, Gabrielle, they’re getting closer. We need to leave.”

“You don’t understand,” you say in your soft voice. “Roman, look at this starfish.”

I look at the starfish like you asked. It looks vulnerable, spread-eagled at the bottom of the pool. I wonder if the bombs will kill it, too, like they’re sure to kill us if we don’t start moving.

The hem of your blue, faded floral sundress is wet and caked in sand. One more bomb goes off, and it’s not so far in the distance anymore. It’s close, and we both know it. Ash falls from the sky like rain and catches onto the tip of your nose like snowflakes.

“They’re too close, Gabrielle, let’s leave. Now.” I try to sound urgent, but you just look dreamy, almost like you don’t care that we’re about to die.

You shake your head, making raven-colored curls cascade down your shoulders and clash against your pretty blue sundress. “Even if we had the fastest car in the world, they’d catch up to us, Roman,” you say quietly, tucking your hair back behind your ear and looking up at me with clear, ocean-colored eyes. “You have to understand. This is the end. It’s fate, it’s karma, it’s destiny. Call it what you like, but this is the end.”

“But… why does it have to be?” I ask urgently. “Why can’t we fight?”

“You don’t fight with destiny. How long, really, did we think we could get away with bombing other countries and stealing their oil, their exports, their lifeblood, without them fighting back?” You kneel in the dry white sand, sinking into it, and sigh, your chest lilting up and down gracefully. “Don’t you think, in some way, that we deserve it?”

“I think that everyone deserves to live and have peace.”

You look at me sadly. Your face, which was always so clear and youthful, looks lined and faded in the pastel sunlight. “If everyone deserves to live and be peaceful,” you ask in a soft voice, “why did we bomb them in the first place?”

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:35 am
RainWanderer wrote a review...

Beautiful. Absolutely stunningly beautiful story. Seem like I was too late to give any review though, because everyone else had said everything I wanted to say. So I guess all I could say now is that your story had really touched my heart.
I love the dreamy feeling of the beach, the character's final heaven, and the way Gabrielle was gently described, like an angel. I also love how you put the emphasis on Gabrielle's dress, it seem to slow down the pace of the story, and giving me a sense of a momentary peacefulness in the falling of the bombs. Finally,

“If everyone deserves to live and be peaceful,” you ask in a soft voice, “why did we bomb them in the first place?”

I could not write a better ending even if I try. It just...beautiful.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:46 am
ashleylee wrote a review...

'Ello! I am Ashleylee and I'll be your reviewer today :D

The first shy rays of sunlight are starting to peek out from behind clouds, casting upon your face.

This sentence is kind of awkward. Maybe try: ...peek out from behind the clouds... it helps the flow by adding "the" there to break it up a bit.

Love love LOVE this last line about the 'bombing them first'. I think this was the best ending I've read in a long long time :D :D :D Excellent job!

~ ~ ~ ~

Okay, for the overall plot line, the beginning was a little shaky. You could strengthen that up with a bit more description, a bit more thoughts. Not too much because I absolutely adore the way you slowly add more and more info until you drop the bomb, so to speak :P

That's really all I can complain about. Otherwise, I really liked this. I would give you two gold stars if I could :wink:

madhatter294 wrote a review...

I like the way you have "depreciated" if you like, the dramatic event portrayed of bombs going off which parallels and helps to convey Gabrielle's nonchalant attitude, although I think the word "chilly" to describe the feeling of the sand could be replaced with a far more poignant word. xxx

railway wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this, your prose is excellent but just try to make sure it doesn't get too flowery and verge on the dreaded purple prose. Also, I personally don't enjoy it when the author writes in second person since I feel singled out and it just doesn't feel right.

I'm not sure if you usually do this or it was just an experiment but personally, it isn't really working for me, so maybe if you do use this method of writing on a regular basis you should step out of that and try first or third person?

On the other hand, if this was just an experiment, I think it's great that you tried it out in your writing and stepped out of your comfort zone, but call me an old fart but I prefer first or third person! [:

Still, apart from that it was excellent and kept me reading. Now I want more! Haha! More stories please.

Juniper wrote a review...

Hi, Galadriel! I'm June. :)

This is a beautiful short store, Gal. I really like the way you begin with smaller details and build up to the larger picture.

The sand is chilly underneath our toes. It’s barely light out; the sky is pastel blue and purple and streaked with violet.

Here, I think you should change the final /and/ to a comma. ;) It sounds like there's too many ands here.

I look at the starfish like you asked.

Gabrielle /tells/ him to look at the starfish, dear. ;)

This was an excellent flash fiction, but in some way, I think it needs another closing, even if it's something as simple as 'another bomb explodes in the distance' or something. For now,it sounds as if it needs to be concluded.

I really do like how you put the emphasis on her dress. That, along with the pacing of this, really gave a peaceful tone to this, and we can sense the narrator's nervousness in this. You've done a really nice job here; I'd like to see more of your work.

June

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye