unfinished.

by gabrielgoon

this is unfinished. i have a rough idea of where im going to take it though ive no commitment to it yet, so any inconsistencies or such may be present. thank you for the feedback :)

08 May 2017

22:28

Aaron spent countless minutes - perhaps even hours - pacing the small steps of his study, just turning the idea over in his head. Analysing and contemplating the pros and cons of the current situation, the potential situation, and the weight each likely outcome carried against each other.

Parrying the two Aaron stopped at several conjured images of both success and failure. The success was enticing, of course; the autonomy, sovereignty almost. How could he deny that? The failure, however, was a strong deterrent.

Aaron never relaxed his detest over such strife. How difficult it made things that were to be so simple.

Aaron continued to ponder for a while, and feeling as though he was grasping at straws, quickly became distracted. Turning to his book, Aaron surmised it was best not to sweat over it so much, partially out of frustration, and partially because of the heavy weight of the dread beginning to develop in his chest.

In his absence Aaron's phone rang to the right of him, drawing him back in. Staring at the name, Aaron let out a low and gritty sigh. He muted the sound. He had just lain it down when two bubbles popped up on the screen showing a missed call and a single message.

'Call me.' Aaron's eyes lingered on the two words, simple yet commanding.

In an attempt to sway his thoughts Aaron jumped up once more and began to pace.

A minute later, a loud ping signalled that yet another bubble had popped up on his screen. He was already feeling a pressure to make a decision, and this didn’t help to alleviate the sensation. He reached for the bottle laying atop his pillow and began to swig. Still parched, and a stiffness developing in his neck, Aaron sat for a moment in order to gather himself.

his decision had suddenly become much harder. The reality of what he was about to attempt was beginning to delve deeper into him, bringing forth new worries and doubts.

The next day, it wasn’t the first thing on Aarons mind when he awoke to his alarm sounding at 6:00 AM. Though it didn’t take long to surface.

It was 7:38 AM when Aaron finally stepped outside. Scarcely paying attention to the streets around him, Aaron almost walked out in front a car speeding toward him not ten metres away on his way to school. The day passed unsuspecting of his thoughts, and many times he'd observed himself slipping in and out of his thoughts during interactions with others, nervous thoughts creeping their way into his presence.

Reaching home at 4:06 PM, Aaron still hadn't come to a conclusion. There seemed to be a continuous pattern of excitement and crippling caution surging and ebbing. 

Tue May 09, 2017 3:00 am
Gringoamericano wrote a review...

A short story normally does one of two things; presents a full on narrative in a manner shorter than a novel; or simply presents a scene to the audience as is. I feel like this tackles the latter, and it does so in decent way. I think it does a good job of presenting the day-to-day anxiety that comes with the indecision that can strike someone when they're at a crossroad; the gnawing nervousness that grows stronger with each passing day.

There are some sentences which seem a bit clunky, in my opinion. This one in particular came to mind;

The success was enticing, of course; the autonomy, sovereignty almost. How could he deny that? The failure, however, was a strong deterrent.

Otherwise this is a strong little passage. Can't wait to see what this develops into.

Thanks for sharing!

Tue May 09, 2017 12:08 am
inktopus wrote a review...

Hey, gabrielgoon. Storm here to do a review, so let's jump right into it!

Aaron never relaxed his detest over such strife.

You used detest incorrectly here.

Staring at the name, Aaron let out a low and gritty sigh.

Not sure 'gritty' is the appropriate word to use here.

Your style isn't bad at all. It seemed fairly polished, and you made use of a good range of vocabulary. However, in the pursuit of unique words, you must remember to use them correctly. I only found two instances of this, but it tends to be a problem with some writers. I just wanted to make you aware.

Aaron. Your main character. We know nothing about him. I know he's in high school and that's about the extent of my knowledge. I don't know his personality, preferences, or even his economic standings. When you introduce a character, you have to introduce a person. Your character isn't just a plot device; he needs to be a real person to your readers. A blank slate isn't believable or even interesting. You're going to have to find ways to convey Aaron's personality WITHOUT DIRECTLY TELLING THE AUDIENCE. Sorry for the caps overload there, but it's a very important thing to remember. Don't write, "Aaron loves animals." Write, "Aaron met a stray dog beside the school and coaxed it near him, stroking its back." Show us what Aaron is like through his actions and what he says.

I wasn't very invested in Aaron's problem. In fact, I don't even know what the issue even was. I know that this is unfinished, but be sure to have high stakes.

Overall, the writing itself was good but the plot was unfinished and the characters left something to be desired. You just need more substance; this shows a lot of promise.

Feel free to reply to this review or to pm me with any questions you may have.

~Storm

gabrielgoon says...

I mostly agree with what you've said, particularly about developing the character and giving more substance as a whole. Though it was intentional not to give away much about Aaron's problem I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

With3r3dros3 wrote a review...

Hello, gabrielgoon!! With3r3dros3 here for a review! First off, welcome to YWS!! This is your first work, correct? Can't wait to review it!

Lets just cut to the chase: I love this! One thing I have to say is in paragraph eight, I think it'd be better to put "Still parched, Aaron felt a stiffness developing in his neck. He sat for a moment in order to gather himself." just so that your writing flows together nicely and you don't have to keep using the commas, know what I mean?

And the paragraph under that, is the H in "his" suppose to be capital?

Now onto the short sentence that starts with "Call me." I think the comma after two words really shouldn't be there and a period should replace it. That comma can move to after simple so the text flows together nicely like this: "Aaron's eyes lingered on the two words. Simple, yet commanding." Does that sound better to you? Personally, I think it sounds better.

Now I know you're not done with your work yet, so I'm not done with this review. I'll check back sometime later when you're work IS finished!

Can't wait to see what happens to Aaron!!

Keep writing and best of luck!! :D

xo. With3r3dros3

gabrielgoon says...

Thank you for feedback. And yes it is suppose to be capital, I didn't notice it wasn't, thank you for that also. :)

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100