z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Poem for the Old

by fruit4you


Powdered caps

And lovely naps

The hip bone

That burns

The heavy loan

To earn

The thoughtful groan

Tedious work

And days of…

And days of…

And days…

Days…

Now,

There is nothing

No teeth

Just pudding

Gritty eyes

Cannot see

But you try

Not to be

But there

Will never be

Not you

Not me

As old

And as tired

The days are cold

And numbered

But no

Not remembered

And lowered softly

Dirt,

With no one

To mourn.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 7136
Reviews: 191

Donate
Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:13 pm
Nargles wrote a review...



Hey!
So, this is an interesting poem, and I really enjoyed it.

I don't have too many problems with it, it is humorous and also serious at the same time.
One thing which I would possibly work on is the layout. I'm not sure if you meant for it to be one whole stanza, but I suggest maybe breaking it up into 2 or even 3 stanzas. Simply because you change the focus of the poem half way through, and having it in the same stanza just doesn't quite work. Let me know if you need help with formatting or anything!

Another thing which you could possibly fix up just a tad is the flow of it. Due to your lack of punctuation, which is fine, it can make it a bit messy to read. But if you choose to put stanzas in that will make it a bit easier.

I do really like what you have done here, and how you have taken a normally rather sinister topic and made it more lightnearted, yet still retained some of that sadness and difficulty that comes with ageing.

Keep up the good work, and if you have any questions just let me know!
Nargles xx




fruit4you says...


Yeah... I put stanzas, but when I posted it it changed back to the original format... Thanks for your assessment! :)



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 449
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:40 pm
ooh4764 says...



It's dark and comical. I love that in poetry, it shows how we all think of even the sad things as being intriguing or find them funny. It flows very well and I enjoyed reading it. You did well with this style and this genre.




fruit4you says...


Thank you so much!



User avatar
132 Reviews


Points: 669
Reviews: 132

Donate
Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:13 am
Legibletext wrote a review...



Hi, Legy here,

Darkly funny! I like it! My favourite genre of writing. It's great to focus on meaningful ideas without putting to much agony into it, and siding it with a nice laugh. Then you can look at the idea without collapsing into a ball of misery and just enjoy the piece.

The structure didn't bother me too much, so don't freak out haha. A bit more punctuation could be added but it's not absolutely paramount. Have you read Cormac McCarthy? He literally has no punctuation, so if he doesn't then I'm not going to pick on your work!

It's nice you can make a joke out of something many people fear. Good job.

Legy.




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 1198
Reviews: 37

Donate
Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:19 am
View Likes
fruit4you says...



Ughhh... I separated them into stanzas. I don't know why it put it back into one whole thing.... Hmph




Monsters says...


I made a review on formatting poetry on my old account- How to format your poetry on YWS




A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown