z

Young Writers Society



The Geese Are Back & I'm Thinking of You

by Rook


The last time that you saw me, I saw geese

in snow and in formation, making V’s.

I’d asked you out for ice cream, never mind

the cold. You thought I was a friend, the kind

you’d just go out for sundaes with, but no,

I saw you as a date. How could I know

you never felt that kind of love for me

or someone who identifies as “she?”

I know you are yourself; that will not change.

But being who I am, I find it strange

that someone loves or doesn’t love another

based on gender. My love seems to smother

me. It paints the world in pretty, colored strokes:

they all look lovely, male or female. Folks.

Reject me for my faith or for my quirks,

reject me for my looks, whatever works.

Reject me for all reasons you can see:

But gender is a thing: it isn’t me.

--

A/N: I realize those other things aren't me either, but I feel like they're bigger parts of me than gender is. I also understand that people have different beliefs and attractions and totally support them in that, this is just expressing my own frustrations.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:42 pm
View Likes
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hey there, @fortis! I finally have time to actually review this poem, so here I am. <3

It's been awhile since I've seriously reviewed, so I apologize in advance if my reviews aren't as strong as they usually are.

First things first: your title. It was what drew me into the poem, and what got me to stay for the rest of it. It has a whimsical touch to it, and also feels incredibly personal. When you open the first line with a reference to the geese from the title, it made the rest of the poem feel coherent and connected to the story you promised from the start.

I mentioned in the comment I left that I found your struggles relatable - reading through this again to write this review, I still feel the same way. Gender, sexuality and friendship is funky for me. I haven't ever been on something I would consider a date, but I have had friends that I've seen as potentially something more. The situation was slightly different back then, but there's still been people that I've felt attracted to - and were unfortunately straight.

You did a good job building up to that reveal. As I brought up with the title, the beginning of the poem feels incredibly personal. It sounds like a love poem. The reader can see why the speaker feels like the date was something that wasn't platonic.

I also really love the language of your poem. Though there were multiple parts that jumped out at me, the part I keep returning to is this:

But being who I am, I find it strange

that someone loves or doesn’t love another

based on gender.


I'm biromantic, so that's a struggle I definitely relate to. The way you worded made it even more memorable - I won't be surprised if I suddenly remember that part of the poem in the future when reading something else.

My one critique for the poem would be how you broke apart some of the lines. Most of them are broken in just the right spot, but a few could use some rearranging. This is one of the lines that I was thinking of:

But being who I am, I find it strange

that someone loves or doesn’t love another

based on gender. My love seems to smother

me. It paints the world in pretty, colored strokes:


The line split that I thought could use some work was between the third and fourth lines. I'd rewrite to something like this:

But being who I am, I find it strange

that someone loves or doesn’t love another

based on gender. My love seems to smother me.

It paints the world in pretty, colored strokes:


Or this:

But being who I am, I find it strange

that someone loves or doesn’t love another

based on gender.

My love seems to smother me.

It paints the world in pretty, colored strokes:


"My love seems to smother me" isn't as strong when it's broken up; it's stronger when it's somehow grouped together.

But, besides that, this is a really strong poem! I couldn't find anything to critique in it, but let me know if you have any questions about my review.

Have a great day!




User avatar
560 Reviews


Points: 30438
Reviews: 560

Donate
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:08 pm
Tenyo says...



Hey Fort < 3

This is stylistically quite different to your other works, and I'm curious! I'm used to your writing being quite thick with sensory metaphors and descriptions, but this one is almost completely narrative. Was there a reason you did it that way or was it just the way it turned out?




Rook says...


Probably just the way it turned out, plus I think it was more important to me to have complete clarity in this poem than in others of mine where I like a bit of wiggle room in interpretation and so I obfuscate with language that I think adds to the overall appeal.



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:31 am
Mageheart says...



I'm definitely going to swing by and review this in the future, but I just wanted to leave a comment on here to say how much I loved this poem - it reminds me of my own struggles when it comes to my sexuality. <3




User avatar
111 Reviews


Points: 9075
Reviews: 111

Donate
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:01 am
View Likes
tgham99 wrote a review...



This is a very powerful piece that I feel does a good job of outlining a conversation topic that, unfortunately, a lot of people aren't comfortable or open enough to discuss with others.

I think this poem is a great way to express the frustration that accompanies the ways in which a gender can become an obstacle for people everywhere; I like that your message becomes all the more forceful at the end when you reiterate that gender isn't the beginning and end of someone's persona or existence. You do a good job of hammering in this point.

I will say that I have only one small criticism; in the beginning of the poem, I had a bit of a hard time keeping up with the structure (one sentence running into the beginning of the next line), but this was likely intentional and meant to keep the reader following a specific train of thought for a certain amount of time.

Last comment: to end on a positive note, I want to share how much I enjoyed this part in particular: "But being who I am, I find it strange / that someone loves or doesn't love another / based on gender".

Great poem!




Rook says...


lines like that use what's called "enjambment" and it's one of my favorite poetical tools! It leads the reader to maintain momentem between lines to keep a more conversational and realustic rhythm, and it also makes rhymes feel less forced! I highly recommend it to all poets, since it can also be used to great effect in terms of logopoeia :)
Thank you for your review!



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:02 am
alliyah says...



The light rhyming is nice, and seems to get more forceful at the end, which makes the last chunk feel more intense to read.

Mostly just wanted to comment that I adore this line:
"My love seems to smother
me."

Clear narrative work, with impact beyond just the concrete story - well written! :)





You are all the colours in one, at full brightness.
— Jennifer Niven, 'All the Bright Places'