z

Young Writers Society



Eyesight

by followtheneon


Blind:
adjective
unable to see;
sightless.

most people who are blind
have no vision
and while yours is 20:20,
you look
but you don't see.

How could you miss the signs?
you promised
to look out
for me
for her
for yourself.

but you let go.
let go of her
and now,
she is running with scissors
and they are pointing towards her.

they cut
her hair
and her wrists
and you let them.

How could you do this to us?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 1305
Reviews: 170

Donate
Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:29 pm
Boolovesyou wrote a review...



Blind:
adjective
unable to see;
sightless.

most people who are blind
have no vision
and while yours is 20:20,
you look
but you don't see.

How could you miss the signs?
you promised
to look out
for me
for her
for yourself.

but you let go.
let go of her
and now,
she is running with scissors
and they are pointing towards her.

they cut
her hair
and her wrists
and you let them.

How could you do this to us?


First. PUNCTUATION please! You have some just not enough, and some places it chops up your work to much. On to the actual
Poem - play with your words some more, don't be afraid to morph them in your mind till you find that perfect word.
Confusion - One point you say, why couldn't you look out for me? pretty much. I dislike this. Its the only point in the poem you bring in your self.The whole poem is about this girl and the person who should be watching out for her and missed the signs. The one part you bring your self in changes the lay out. How did they not look out for you? Explain in poem or ditch I would say. Again with the us at the end.
Thats it. I would say you have a good skeleton of a poem, expand don't be afraid to let your emotions run amuck.




User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 2664
Reviews: 113

Donate
Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:22 am
emmylou1995 wrote a review...



I think this is a great start to a poem. The beginning is beautiful, with the definitions. But as the poem plays out, its not really clear what is going on. WIth the scissors, describe them. Describe the characters more, describe more feelings, more detail. This is like, the outline for a even bigger and better poem! It just felt like you rushed through it and didnt take the time you needed to really explain your story. Which IS a good one, dont get me wrong, the whole difference between being blind and seeing thing, but we need more to ride upon. More metaphor, for example, make the scissors be literal and mean something deeper for that character. Explain WHY the character does that with the scissors. Expand this poem.

Great start,
Emmy

P.S- PM me if you rewrite this and I will read it over.




Random avatar

Points: 5107
Reviews: 100

Donate
Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:27 am
NaRachel wrote a review...



Hi:) i think the definition at the start makes it interesting. I like the short lines they make it more dramatic and the drama unfolds and becomes more intense towards the end which is good! I also like how it adresses the reader by saying you did this etc. Overall a good poem so well done! To improve try and improve your vocabulary and become more metaphoric-this will come with deeper thinking and practice. Just a suggestion a great way to improve vocab is to read then write down any words you don't know then later on look them up and learn perhaps by using flashcards on dictionary.com- just saying from personal experience :)





It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer