i hide

by fishsashimi

my head collapsing upon itself

a burning sensation

how do i describe how i feel to you

you wouldn’t understand

would you?

i can’t tell

i can’t tell anything apart

it’s all just a blur of color

vibrant saturated color

it gently sways across my eyes

finally a shape comes through

your hand reaching for mine

your repeat yourself for eternity

whispering ‘you’re ok’

but i hear muffled speech

my weak arms bend out for you

you clasp my hand

and the world makes sense

solid shapes and the crisp sounds of your voice

feeling the warm sensations of love

that’s why i couldn’t see you

or hear you

or feel you

that’s why

i hide.

Poets Note:

Hope you enjoyed it! This was a love poem to no one in particular. I guess when I find my soulmate it’ll feel like this(?) Either way I’d love feedback and I’ll try to post more often. Thanks!!

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:44 pm
trashykawa wrote a review...

This is a great poem.

it holds an optimistic view on how falling in love or being in love feels like. I love how this implies that life is gray, an empty canvas until that one person comes along, like that person was the match that lit your flame (ugh i'm too sappy).

"it’s all just a blur of color, vibrant saturated color", i like how you continue to explain the 'blur of color' in the next line, it gives nice imagery, though if i understand correctly, you're stating that the colors are vibrant and pure BEfore the person comes into your life....and that's kind of contrasting to the theme of the poem, don't you think?

"you repeat yourself for eternity
whispering ‘you’re OK’"
So these lines are easily my favorite. I love how this gives us the promise of forever, of the person you love supporting you, guiding you and being with you, 'till death do us part'.

i got a little confused at the next line, though: "whispering ‘you’re ok,' but i hear muffled speech". so this is again my brain saying 'that's contradicting' because the words of the person you love should be clear, right? unless of course, that's not what you meant.

this is lovely though, i mostly get what you mean, and i hope love feels like this.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:51 am
starchaser wrote a review...

Hey! This is quite an interesting poem! I love how you portray being lovesick- "a burning sensation", "i can’t tell anything apart/it’s all just a blur of color/vibrant saturated color". I do struggle with trying to comprehend "that’s why i couldn’t see you/or hear you/or feel you/that’s why/i hide", as it was after the "soulmate" reaches out and "and the world makes sense". I assume that you mean that love is making you hide, but I had to re-read the last few lines multiple times to come to that conclusion. Other than that, I enjoyed the poem.

fishsashimi says...

thanks for the feedback! what i tried to say was that without a true love, the world didn%u2019t make sense. That ending part basically means that %u201Cyou make my world clear, and without you i%u2019m scared%u201D.

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson