z

Young Writers Society



The King is Dead

by firewood18


This is just a draft and I'm looking to greatly improve, all criticism is greatly appreciated!

You go your whole life as a prodigy knowing that you're special. The word special means that you, and only you, are accepted. You are marveled and listened to, and taken seriously. Everyone looks at you different, everyone loves you, envies you. When you’re just a child, just a person beginning to realize who you are, it’s like being born addicted to a drug. You start doing this thing so well, you start getting the attention, you start noticing how much more important you are than everyone else. And it drives you insane. Out of your mind with all of this self importance.

You are the one they’re all watching. You, this child, are more advanced than some of these adults who are paying to see you, taking pictures of you, even though you’re not their kid, you’re someone elses. But they take their pictures just the same. They are in amazement.

But you don’t care. It’s not that you don’t like what you’re doing, like some spoiled brats. You’re (at first) not doing it for the money, you’re doing it because of the fame. And the fame keeps coming the more you practice, the better you get and you get obsessed and you don’t stop, and your parents don’t let you stop and suddenly you have a giant house and you have the car you want and the boyfriend you want and the clothes you want and everyone wants to be your friend, and grades don’t matter and you’re already sixteen and you’re the best and the money keeps pouring in and the attention doesn’t stop and you’re getting thinner and thinner and then it all comes to a

halt.

I can easily talk about a ridiculous story about how “I didn’t choose cello, cello chose me and I love it”, and of course put you all in stitches about how dedicated I am but please. I play cello, I’m good at it, that’s it. I was born and raised into the wealthiest family on Cape Cod, I learned to be smart before it was required. And I’m smart enough to know that no one cares about how you got started, they only care about the now.

And now, Hartwick has become the enemy, I never know I was going to have. This
“private school of the prodigies” has shattered my every whim and destroyed my every dream. It has put me in my place and squeezed all of the hope and kindness out of me. Not that there was much to begin with. I’m not that girl that has “big dreams”, that is a movie attitude. At Hartwick you cannot have dreams, you have goals that you reach and then you make new ones.

I transferred as a senior because my parents wanted to tell all of their friends that their “prized and only daughter” went to the most prestigious advanced talent high school in the country. And I wanted to go because I wanted to say that about myself as well. My other private school was boring enough when I was acing every class and was not allowed to be in the orchestra there because I was too quick for everyone else. I laughed at the challenges presented to me there, because they weren’t challenges, they were just problems. I was still on that drug then, that drug of being everyone’s focus of attention, because I was the cello girl. The one that played at Carnegie Hall and won numerous awards. I figured I was so good, that when I transferred to the Hartwick Academy it would just be another chance to show up more people than usual. I would still be on that drug, just among people who were on it too. Even though I thought in the back of my head that no one would surpass my alleged “God-given” talent. So I broke up with my boyfriend from my old school who wasn’t worth my time anyways, bought a new car, a new cello bow and set out to conquer another problem.

Hartwick striped me down on the first week. The school, the people, the orchestra, it made my heart collapse, it made my brain slow to an average person’s speed, my playing stopped being above average. I wasn’t the cello girl, I was the fourth cello girl, I was one of many. I wasn’t anyone. I was just another. Another one of those, another one of these. I was in an ocean full of people who were better than me, and for the first time in my life, I was fourth. I don’t do fourth. I don’t compute the number four. I am not the number four.

I am the number one.

I walked into placement into the “Elite Senior Orchestra” on my first day at Hartwick expecting special treatment and first chair but I got ignored and fourth chair. So I thought to myself, the three people ahead of me must be gods. And of course, they were.

Third chair was Violet Crenshaw. She was tall and exotic looking and just by the way she walked anyone in the room could tell that she’d slept with half the guys in the orchestra. She played well, but I was easily better than her. Her looks, and the way every male in the room could use a napkin to wipe their drool when she walked into the room were intimidating. Coming from a girl who had enough makeup to use on a hundred people. Violet was everything I’d ever wanted to be, and more. She could have whatever she wanted without working for it, and that type of success came with no price.

Second chair was Violet’s boyfriend, Blake Herrington. He had more money than my parents three times over. His uniform alone must have cost two hundred dollars. And he looked damn well good in it too. Blake was, in a word, vicious. He was nasty to everyone, and got what he wanted by intimidating the other, more weaker kids. This one guy named Henry literally gave him his lunch money. And everyone knew Blake didn’t need it. He did play better than me though. He made me look like I was seven years old just beginning to play. He was quick and precise and intense, it was fascinating. Violet and him together were the strongest threat I’d ever seen.

When you’re first chair in an orchestra, you are the best. Being the best means you’re perfect. There’s not one better, you are the top dog, you’re the one and only. You have power and importance and everything in between. The first chair cellist of this orchestra was this guy named Anthony Evans, but everyone just called him Tony. He was tall and broad shouldered, and was probably the handsomest boy I’d ever seen in my entire life. The first thing that stood out to me was that he wasn’t wearing a full Hartwick uniform. He was just wearing a vest, the dress pants, loafers, and a stiff white collared shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Hartwick wasn’t a place you mess around in. But he didn’t seem like he cared. Tony didn’t care about anything, it seemed like. He was so relaxed and so obviously and sickeningly arrogant compared to Blake or Violet, who were always on their toes. Tony got first, and as soon as it happened, I knew Blake had a problem.

I was still stunned by the fact that not only was I not first, no one cared about how talented I was, because I wasn’t talented, I was average. But then I had something else to focus on.

“I hope you know that you’re not going to have that chair for long.” Blake said to Tony. Everyone within a three seat radius stopped what they were doing to have a listen, which I found strange. What could this conversation hold, these two arrogant guys fighting over the top seat...a few digs, a swear or two and then a feud. It wasn’t anything new. Rich kids were born and bred not to show much emotion, but I could tell that Tony was different. He reeked of new money.

A few cruel words later and the two boys were in a fist fight.

Thank you for reading! :)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 333
Reviews: 80

Donate
Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:44 am
polinkacreations wrote a review...



Hey Firewood, I'm here to review (a little late, sorry about that)
I guess I'll just jump right into it, and I will give you my general overview at the end. The first thing I noticed is a little grammar error:

Everyone looks at you different
- this should be "differently".
And it drives you insane. Out of your mind with all of this self importance.
- Meeeh… I wouldn't say that kind of thing would drive you insane, actually quite the contrary - I'd take advantage of the situation, feeling important is always a great feeling, don't you think? I don't fully understand what you are implying here - maybe the fact that one would feel pressurised if in that situation?
And the fame keeps coming the more you practice, the better you get and you get obsessed and you don’t stop, and your parents don’t let you stop and suddenly you have a giant house and you have the car you want and the boyfriend you want and the clothes you want and everyone wants to be your friend, and grades don’t matter and you’re already sixteen and you’re the best and the money keeps pouring in and the attention doesn’t stop and you’re getting thinner and thinner and then it all comes to a
halt.
- Wow, I seriously love this sentence! It speeds up because of the length, and then you end it all with one word. Great technique!
of course put you all in stitches
- I'm not sure what you mean here. If that's a saying, I haven't heard it before, or you did it wrong:D
I never know I was going to have.
- I never "knew" - pas tense here.
I don’t do fourth. I don’t compute the number four. I am not the number four.
I am the number one.
- Wow, another great line. Really shows the inside of the character's mind.
but I got ignored and fourth chair
- I feel there should be a verb between "ignored" and "fourth chair" - maybe "got fourth chair", or "got given fourth chair".
Another quick thing, "Hartwick stripped", not striped :D

General Comments
I got to say, I really liked this piece. I have always loved first-person narratives since they're easier to read and easier to understand in terms of character. I love the little bits, like the fact the main character sees the two chairs in front of her as enemies, threats. I love the way you describe people - "he reeked of new money". Brilliant.
And, of course, we are left at a cliffhanger - a little bit rushed at the end, I'd say. Explore the tension between the two guys - I want them staring at each other, mentally preparing for a fight, Violet looking excited (or worried?) about the upcoming struggle.
Still, overall I think this is a great piece of writing, and be sure to PM me when another chapter comes out!
Keep up the great work;)
~polinkacreations




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 844
Reviews: 13

Donate
Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 pm
View Likes
makennaC3 wrote a review...



I think it is a great story. If you write more please tell me. In the second paragraph, you had a typo "They are amazement." Besides that, it was perfection. I think a different name might be better, but other than that... Amazing!





No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf