12+

Unwind

by fictionalidiots

A/N- This is based off of a book called Unwind, but you don't have to read the book to understand the prompt. Just know that unwinding is when you take troubled teenagers and you salvage them for body parts so they'll be useful in ways they couldn't be in their undivided state. Tithes are teenagers being unwound for religious purposes. This story is told from the perspective of an OC who's a tithe about to be unwound. (Sorry for the long description, I'm just very fond of this piece. Anyway this is my first upload, hope you enjoy!)

I’m not scared. I remember the first time my parents explained what unwinding was, what a tithe was, the fact that I am one. It should have all gotten easier from there. It has. I had my tithe party and I knew what it was for, I knew it was the last party I would ever attend in a single piece. I knew that once I got out of the bus and began walking towards the harvest camp that I would never come out. Not as me. I didn’t care what kind of consciousness I would have in the years to come; all that mattered is that my body helped people. The purpose of my existence is to help people. I am prepared for that. I’m not scared.

I lived with other tithes for a while. We were patiently awaiting the day where we could finally give our lives meaning by giving them away. That’s what we were meant for. We had spent our whole lives detaching ourselves from the idea that we had a right to our bodies, because as tithes, we didn’t. We clung to the idea that we had a right to our minds before realizing that it was useless. Tithes aren’t even human, really. We’re some kind of creature that’s life starting ticking away as soon as it’s brought into this world and we know when the time’s going to run out and we know that it’s very soon.

I turned thirteen about three weeks ago. It had always seemed so far away as a small child. Being seven years old, thirteen seemed like a lifetime away. So I let myself live. I let myself enjoy the feeling of the sun on my face and I let myself embrace my different emotions; I freely explored different parts of myself as I tried to win the race to figure out who I am before I ran out of time. I forget when that all stopped. Probably when I realized that thirteen really wasn’t far away at all. I had worked so hard to dehumanize myself, which was hard, considering that my own consciousness is the single most human thing I ever have or will experience.

But I guess it must have worked, because I’m not scared.

Even as I’m walking to Chop Shop, even as the guards walk closely behind me, I am not scared. I am not trembling. I am not close to tears. I am God’s gift and I am prepared to give up my right to my body and my mind to help people. I feel memories flit into my mind and I push them away. I do not want them. I won’t have them soon enough, anyway. They never meant anything to me, they never meant anything to my parents; they never meant anything to anybody on this entire planet. They are worthless and will only stand in the way of fulfilling my life’s purpose.

I do not want to remember the time I kissed Dakota on the lips, I do not want to remember the time I nearly drowned and my mother saved me, I most certainly do not want to remember all the times I’ve heard my family tell me that they love me, I don’t want to remember how happiness feels, I do not want to remember how it feels to be alive because I’m not livingand I never was.

The guard waiting outside the door opens it for me and I see the operating table inside. It all looks so sterile and so sickeningly colorful. Take a seat, I hear somebody say. My legs don’t want me to go forward and take a seat. I don’t want to take a seat. I want my body. I want my toes and my fingernails and my lungs and my heart and my oddly shaped nose; I want it all.

“No,” I can feel my lips moving and I can hear my voice but I didn’t mean to say anything. I cannot stop the shaking now and my heart is beating faster than it ever had before. I am sweating profusely and the memories are hitting me with all their might, trying to instill upon me that I am human; I have emotions and feelings and wants and dreams and I could have a future if not for all this.

Thoughts race in my mind and each one hits me with a new kind of intensity. Going to high school, graduation, getting a job, moving out, getting married, having kids-I plan out my entire life in seconds, and I crave the time needed to live it.

I feel the guards pushing me into the room and I manually move one foot forwards. Then I move the other. I am walking. I am walking straight into the Chop Shop. I am being a good little tithe. I feel wetness on my shirt and I realize that I am sobbing. I cannot seem to stop my body from shaking violently.

“Can you please take a seat?” I hear the voice repeat.

“I don’t wanna die,” I croak.

“Relax, this isn’t the end! Your priest is running a bit late, so can you please just sit down while we wait?”

For the first time in years, I am reminded that I am human. I will not be a human very soon. I try to swallow and I realize that my throat is dry with fear. Fighting is useless. Fighting is unwise. Fighting would just make sure I missed my last chance to make everything right. I take a seat and try to stop my crying. I am not scared. I’m terrified.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:36 am
Astronaut wrote a review...

Jeez, seems like I have to read this series now! This is why I think they should put fanfiction on the back of the books. Onto the review:

It's a bit difficult to review fanfiction for something I don't know about. For example, the Chop Shop. Is this something that you made up, or was it in the series? At any rate, I'm glad you included it in the story, regardless of whether you made it up or not. The cutesy, rhyming title kind of displays how casual the murder of these poor kids is in this world.

"I do not want to remember the time I kissed Dakota on the lips." You said this was your OC, so this was not included in the original story. I feel that if you include something so specific as a name, it feels awkward if you tell us nothing else. You could take out the name altogether and leave it at that, but a short, 1-2 sentence back-story could be nice.

"Thoughts race in my mind and each one hits me with a new kind of intensity. Going to high school, graduation, getting a job, moving out, getting married, having kids-I plan out my entire life in seconds, and I crave the time needed to live it." Ok, I am just in LOVE with this paragraph. It just shows how utterly human the tithe is, and how they deserve the right to live on. It displays the injustices of unwinding, and I just thought it was really good.

I thought the tithe fighting their emotions was really nice. You showed us how the tithes try to conceal their pain, trying to make it hurt less, but that doesn't work at all.

I MUST READ THIS SERIES! After the 23,000,000 other books I have to read, but I will do it!

Hope this helped!

Chop Shop was included in the original story, but I wish I came up with it. The Dakota thing was just kind a spur-of-the-moment addition, but I made sure to keep the name gender-neutral. I can see where I should have definitely added more back story to that. And thanks so much for the positive comments! They mean a lot!!

:D Welcome!

Astronaut says...

Ever since I reviewed this, Barnes & Noble ads keep coming up to say "HEY YOU KNOW WE HAVE THIS BOOK! YOU SHOULD GET IT FROM US!"

cleverclogs says...

Oh, wow. The Unwind series. I've never read it, but someone did a presentation of it once. He showed the trailer for the movie, and let's just say that nobody ever really forgot it. *shudders*

Ah, yeah. I certainly won't be forgetting it anytime soon. I found it in the children's section at the bookstore and I...god, I seriously hope no actual children bought it.

CoraxCorvus wrote a review...

Hey there!

So first thing's first:
WHYYYYYYY??!?!?!?

Ahhhg! The title caught my attention right away because I loved the Unwind series. (Can't wait for the next one, oh god)

This piece literally almost brought me to tears. I always feel SO BAD for the tithes, and I can't help just wanting to scream at them: "NO! This is NOT what you are suppose to do with your life!"

You really captured everything the tithes stood for with your tithe character, the "giving yourself to God" and "living to make other peoples lives better" thing.

When he finally realized he didn't want to die, it seriously almost broke my heart. Your brought back that sickening hopelessness I felt when reading about Roland's unwinding.

I just wanted to point out: " I do not want to remember how it feels to be alive because I’m not livingand I never was." (There was a little spacing error.)

You did a great job on this, and I'm sure your original work is awesome too, so upload some of that!

Before I end off, let us pause for a moment and appreciate how awesome Connor is.
- Corax

Thank you so much! It really means a lot. The tithes really interested me and I went ridiculously in-depth with some character analysis for Lev witch is kind of where this came from...but really, I love hearing that you liked it! And yeah, Conner is absolutely amazing!

Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:53 pm
JayeCShore wrote a review...

Hi J.C. here for a review!

Well, as you've obviously stated, this is based off of another person's book, so I won't credit you with the ideas and such, so I'll focus more on the writing itself.

First thing I notice is that this is more of a long synopsis of the book than a short story about it, which would be a fanfic. Honestly, I'm not sure what to call it. Also not sure if it's a good or bad thing, so, I won't say anything in the interest of not being offensive :D

For the first time in years, I am reminded that I am human. I will not be a human very soon.

Because of the length and content and idea, I'm not sure how to review this, so I'll just point out my one nitpick. I wouldn't write "I will not be a human very soon." It sounds like you're "going to something," rather than being taken away. I would write it as "I will not be a human for much longer." Or something of that sort. Otherwise you're sending the wrong message.

In the end, it is very difficult to review something like this, and I would love if you wrote some more because the concept seems very, very interesting.

Thank you fictionalidiots!

#D65F54 ">- JC -

Thanks so much! I know it's kind of a hard thing to review so I appreciate you going out of your way to leave feedback! I usually don't write stuff like this, but I thought the ideas were way too cool to ignore. :)

JayeCShore says...

I agree with you. I think I might look up the book.

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson