vows i'll never read

by farq4d

Clint works at six, and I work at nine. But every morning, we both wake up at the same alarm. And while he showers, I fix his breakfast and pack his lunch. Most days, I slice a bagel in half, spread the cream cheese, fry him two eggs, and pour him a glass of cranberry juice. 

He can just as easily slice his own bagel in half and spread his own cream cheese. But he doesn't. And it's not because I'm a woman or because he's a man. 

But because it's something that I can do. It's something simple and deliberate. It's something I will always do. 

Yesterday, as I held his bagel in my left hand and sawed it with my right, I sliced open my finger. The blood came rushing quickly, but Clint was quicker. He took my hand in his and held it over the sink, cleaning my wound, disinfecting it, and bandaging it. And you know, I'm just as capable of throwing some peroxide over a minor knife cut, but I didn't. It's something he can do, something he will always do. 

Sometimes, I feel like no one can understand me. For them to know something, to know me, I must tell them. But not with Clint. Clint knows my thoughts before they've formed into words, from the look on my face, the gesture of my hand, the way I stand. He will mention things about me that I didn't think anyone had noticed. 

In the car, in the evenings, I stare out the window because something about the dark makes my grief want to hold my face in both hands and confront me. He will squeeze my hand and stop the car because he knows that I'm crying even when it's silent. And he doesn't say anything when he holds me. I tell him I miss my dad. And he tells me he knows.

He knows. He knows when I'm upset, like the time I made fresh pasta for my family; I was frustrated because the dough wasn't coming together properly. The ratio of something was off and I couldn't figure out what it was. And it must have been written on my face, so he pushed me aside and told me to let him handle it while I worked on something else. It just needed his touch to come together. 

He told me when we first met that his arm is messed up from the third and fourth-deegree burns he got his sophomore year. And even now, though we're married, I pretend I can't tell which one of his arms is scarred up because it's hardly noticeable. Most people can't tell anyway. 

Sometimes, it's hard to remember that Clint hasn't always been in my life. He's somehow stained the rest of my memories in that rosy hue. He's cradled my heart in his hands for so long now that I don't think I could ever hold it on my own again. And no one else's touch would be the same, would ever come close. His hands are callused from hard work but they're gentle for me. 

It's strange to think, how every person I meet now, will only have known me after I've loved Clint and after he's loved me. 

humblebard1 wrote a review...

This is so sweet :') lovely use of metaphors, and phrases like "he's cradled my heart in his hands for so long that I don't think I could ever hold it on my own again" really hits you right in the chest. The love represented between the speaker and Clint is truly special, and you can tell it from how comforting he is towards the narrator, and the joy that they bring each other is sincere.
There's not much i can say to improve this, the paragraphs are a perfect length, the metaphors, the phrases all tie together very well; i would love to here more from these characters, and develop them even further from what you've managed to do in a shorter story.
Amazing job. Keep it up!
- Humblebard

farq4d says...

thanks for the review :) I%u2019m glad you liked it

Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:20 pm
EllieMae wrote a review...

Time for a Black Cat Review!!

MEOW! Hello, friend! My name is Ellie and today I will be reviewing using my very own Black Cat Review Method! It is very similar to the incredible YWS S'more Method but I have Halloween-ified it and made it spooky! My little black cat friend, Vladimir, wants to offer his opinion on your amazing literary piece:

Mystical Witch Hat - What I See, Observe, and Interpret

I always love what you post on YWS! I feel like I am following along with your life and your feelings, even though you are an online friend!

To begin, I am going to assume that Clint is your husband, or the name of the person representing you husband.

Has anyone told you that you are an amazing writer today? I mean this completely honestly, I can connect to everything you write so much. I love your statement of its not because I am a woman or he's a man. I think this so describes going through life and loving and doing what works and what makes others happy.

But not with Clint. Clint knows my thoughts before they've formed into words, from the look on my face, the gesture of my hand, the way I stand. He will mention things about me that I didn't think anyone had noticed.

He sounds like an amazing person <3 I think these sentences flow really well. It gives a strong speaking tone. I feel like this is something you would be speaking, in a professional but casual, heartfelt way. I love your writing voice!

And what a gorgeous ending, as always. You always find a way to make my heart feel like its going to burst from poetic overload:

This is gorgeous and beautiful and perfect in every way! It makes me feel everything I want and don't want to feel, but in a good way.

Vladimir’s Advice - Suggestions for Improvement

I sliced open my finger. the blood came rushing quickly, but Clint was quicker.

Maybe capitalize the The :)

Jack O’Lanterns - My Favourite Parts and Praises

I love your writing for multiple reasons, but one is that it is the most emotion-filled thing I read on YWS.

He will squeeze my hand and stop the car because he knows that I'm crying even when it's silent. And he doesn't say anything when he holds me. I tell him I miss my dad. And he tells me he knows.

This sounds like a scene in an emotional book. I guess your life is a story, your story and that makes it even more beautiful. I love how well you tell and narrate your own story.

Girl, you're gonna make me cry AGAIN with this writing:

He's cradled my heart in his hands for so long now that I don't think I could ever hold it on my own again. And no one else's touch would be the same, would ever come close. His hands are callused from hard work but they're gentle for me.

I wonder, do you share your writing with Clint?

Black Cat Cuddles - Concluding Ideas and Thoughts

I look forward to your next post! Hang in there, friend.

Your friend,
Ellie

PS: If the cover photo is you or someone else just wanted to say... its gorgeous!! What a beautiful dress!

I hope you have a spook-tastical day, filled with black cat mischief!

farq4d says...

as always, thanks for the review : ) and haha no I do not share my writing with clint (he is borderline illiterate)

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing