z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

my youngest little brother

by farq4d


I've been taking my youngest little brother to school every morning. It's hard to think about how the baby whose diapers I changed now stands taller than I am. The toddler who I'd feed by pretending the spoon was an airplane will be starting high school next year.

My youngest little brother is the best of all of us because he has taken the best qualities from each of us. Omar is dedicated but disorganized. I am honest but outspoken. John is funny but cruel. Isabella is smart but naive. Alexandra is tender-hearted but gullible.

I can write, but I cannot turn us into poetry. If I tried, it would sound like this:

My youngest little brother is the best

for he has taken the best parts of us.

Omar, devoted but disorganized.

And I am genuine but outspoken.

John Daniel is quick-witted but brutal.

Isabella, precocious but naive.

Alexandra, gentle but credulous.

Benjamin has taken all the former.

If the journey is a snow-covered field,

Me, my brothers and sisters walked first

Our footprints left behind, each time larger

so the following could tread easier,

without having to trudge through as much snow.

My youngest little brother is the best

because we've made sure he'll never get cold.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 12700
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:33 pm
View Likes
Valkyria wrote a review...



Hello! Happy Review day and happy holidays!

This was a very sweet poem about your younger brother. It was heartfelt, and you poured your love into making sure that he was happy and safe. To be honest, I thought that the first two paragraphs were part of the poem, like prose. But it serves as a good introduction into the actual poem.

I love how the poem transitions into imagery. The snow shows how you and your other siblings will always look out for your little brother in tough times.

Me, my brothers and sisters walked first

Our footprints left behind, each time larger

so the following could tread easier,

I thought that this was adorable. This conveys the whole theme of the poem.

Overall, I loved reading this poem. Good job!




User avatar
82 Reviews


Points: 123
Reviews: 82

Donate
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:20 pm
View Likes
Ley wrote a review...



Hello!

Thank you for sharing!

I like how you added some background on the people in your poem (I'm not sure if this is real life, or if you're basing this off one of your existing characters, but either way, this is marvelous).

I kind of wish you described how they look, I was trying to imagine them in my brain, but at the same time your adjectives used to describe their personality traits was enough for me to picture how you all interact with each other.

The last line really touched me:

My youngest little brother is the best

because we've made sure he'll never get cold.


I also have a younger brother, and protecting him is one of my main jobs. It was heartwarming to read that you all band together to create a loving and safe environment for future generations.

Lovely poem. Keep up the good work!

With Love,
Leya




User avatar
217 Reviews


Points: 11159
Reviews: 217

Donate
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:37 am
EllieMae says...



this is lovely! you are such an amazing writer. the whole thing is so poetic! <3





If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March