z

Young Writers Society



chess, rooks, and finger tattoos

by farq4d


For a little while now, I've been thinking about getting a tattoo. I've never gotten one before, never even considered it until now. 

It would be something small: the silhouette of a rook, the chess piece. It would be line art, I think, and I'd put it on the inside of one of my fingers on my right hand. Partly because that's the hand I use to move pieces across the board, and partly because it will make it more difficult for my mom to notice. I've just been pretty nervous since I've been told that tattoos on the finger hurt a lot. 

But also, I'm not the best chess player in the world. I learned how to play chess by watching my older brother play my dad. They were sitting at the kitchen table. My older brother cupped his chin with his hand while his elbow rested on the edge of the table. My dad sat across from him, hands in his lap as he studied the board.

I asked for a turn, and so I played my dad afterward. He taught me the rules. 

There are six pieces in chess:

The pawns, which do exactly as their name suggests, are used to fulfill another purpose, even if that means sacrificing themselves.

The bishops, one white squared and the other black squared, move diagonally as far as they wish, as long as there are no other pieces in their way. 

The knights, which bear the image of a horse, move in 'L' shapes. One, two, and over. That's how they move. They're the only pieces that can move over other pieces without needing to take them first. 

Each player gets one queen, which is the most valuable piece on the board. The queen can move in any direction she wants, so long as there are no other pieces in the way. 

The king, the target of the game, can only move one square at a time. 

My dad held the piece to show me. He told me, "Chess is a fair game. You aren't allowed to make a move that lets you lose."

The king cannot move into a space where he can be taken. 

And then there's the rooks. The rooks move horizontally and vertically, but they start in the corner of the board. So generally, they don't get to move until closer to the end of the game. 

One day, I played a match against my dad. Using my knight, I attacked both his rook and his bishop at the same time. I thought for sure he would move his bishop away. But to my surprise, he moved the castle to safety, and I took the bishop instead. 

I asked him why. Why let me have the bishop? I saw the bishop as the more valuable piece. The rooks took so long to get into action, that I rarely used them if at all. 

And my dad told me, "I'd rather lose my bishop than my rook."

I asked him why again.

"The rook is my favorite piece."

He won that day, of course. 

As I developed as a chess player, I thought about that a lot, starting to see the rook through a new lens. My dad and I played a lot of chess as I grew up. Usually, he won the matches, but sometimes I would get lucky if he blundered. 

And it was always exciting to beat my dad at chess, at anything really. My dad was never the type of person to take it easy on you. So, winning was always real. 

The last time I played chess against my dad was on October 18th. I put my chess set in the trunk of my old car and drove downtown. I parked in the parking garage, took the chess board out of my trunk and walked into the building. I checked in at the front desk, put on a mask, and let the ladies put a guest wristband around my wrist that still had three others from the days before. 

I went up the elevators to the fourth floor. I walked down the hall to get to the Oncology Wing. The rest of my family members were already there in my dad's room. I asked him if he wanted to play chess. We played three times. And I won each time, even after letting my dad take back moves. 

It wasn't fair like it was supposed to be. I shouldn't have won. He was better than me. I wasn't lucky. 

I don't know what is worse; that the last time we played chess was in a hospital room or that we will never get to play chess again.

I don't think a tattoo could hurt that much. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:24 pm
View Likes
Tambo wrote a review...



Hi! Dropping in for a quick review! 😀

Wow! I would be surprised if this didn’t make literacy spotlight!
The ending was my favourite part, it was also the part where I nearly cried.

I don't know what is worse; that the last time we played chess was in a hospital room or that we will never get to play chess again. I don't think a tattoo could hurt that much.


This genuinely has been my favourite writing piece I have read since I single up to this website! I liked the connection between these two sentences.

My dad was never the type of person to take it easy on you. So, winning was always real.


I shouldn't have won.


This is definitely something I am adding into my writing in future reference. There are literally no mistakes in this, it is absolutely perfect, something I would read again! I hope you keep writing amazing stuff like this and have a great day or night (wherever you are).

Sincerely, Tambo




farq4d says...


hey tambo, thanks for the review. I loved that you noticed the connection between those two sentences. I'm glad you could get a sense of the emotion of the piece.



Tambo says...


%uD83D%uDC4D



User avatar
150 Reviews


Points: 10192
Reviews: 150

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:36 pm
View Likes
Kaia wrote a review...



Wow!! I really love this piece!!
Starting with the beginning, you intrigue the reader by talking about getting a tattoo of a rook. To me (and probably most people) that's an odd thing to get a tattoo of. This led me to keep reading to one out why.

The development of the character watching his brother play and then learning the pieces and playing himself was quite important to the next part, but I do feel that in some places it was a little slow and bland...that you could have added some more little details so smooth it out just a bit.
I felt that this part in particular was just a little out of place:

The king, the target of the game, can only move one square at a time.

My dad held the piece to show me. He told me, "Chess is a fair game. You aren't allowed to make a move that lets you lose."

The king cannot move into a space where he can be taken.
I think the later part starting with the "king cannot move" should maybe be put before the quote by the father. I jus feel like as it is it hangs off awkwardly. But that could just be me.

Sharing that clip with the dad winning with the rook felt almost nostalgic. I loved that scene.

But now my favorite part-the way you introduced the hospital. I love how you described the son parking his car in the garage, putting on a mask, getting a guest bracelet on...all of that. Really good details there! Especially mentioning that he already had a bunch of bracelets on from previous visits. It really brings home the point that he comes there frequently.

And in honesty, I thought the dad just worked on the oncology floor so huge slap in the face when the dad is a patient there. And then the fact that that was the last game to be played! Ah thats just too sad!!

The last sentence quickly wrapped things up and explained the whole thing. I loved that last sentence. It was truly impactful!!

Overall, FABULOUS job. I count this among my favorite YWS short stories and will be giving a shout out on my wall to this amazing piece. :D
-Kaia




farq4d says...


hey there, thanks so much for taking the time to read this and write a review. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my piece. i do try to subvert expectations in my first sentence generally so I'm glad it worked on this piece as well. i get what you mean about that one line about the king being out of place. I sort of did it in that way to explain what that quote meant, but maybe I should have paired both sentences into their own paragraph and united some sentences with a colon, I'm not sure, but thanks for pointing that out.

I'm glad that the way I ended the story had it's sort of slap in the face effect, cause that's kind of how it felt for it all to go down.

But anyways, yeah thanks : )



Kaia says...





User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 117
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:30 pm
View Likes
ThekingsAdvisor wrote a review...



Hi I hope you are doing good.

This was such a treat to read, I loved the way you progressed the story. You started by talking about how much it would hurt to get his finger tattooed to how he lost his father and then you came back to the same topic. I loved it the pacing in my opinion was perfect the tone was set from the get-go,and the mood ohhh i loved the mood that you created. Your mood was perfect i loved how you started the story with:

"For a little while now, I've been thinking about getting a tattoo. I've never gotten one before, never even considered it until now."

This is such a good starting paragraph you were able to grip me into the story really well and when you talk about how he never had a tattoo before and how he is nervous. This really made me care about the character from the start.

Overall a really good short story that archived what it wanted to achieve




farq4d says...


hey there, thanks for the review. i'm glad you loved the way the story progressed and how I paced it. i appreciate you!




XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory