z

Young Writers Society



A Comical Letter to Santa Claus

by erilea


Dear Santa,

Every year, a kid looks forward to December 25th--Christmas. And why? Because they're given gifts, of course. I bet that all of us--maybe even you--has heard of that cliche scene of an excited little kid running down the stairs to check that big ol' Christmas tree. I know I've done that for many Christmases.

This year, I've given up hope. As I said before, I run down the stairs, dive under the tree, and eagerly look for some awesome present--and I find socks. For three years in a row now, I've found Fruit of the Loom among the branches. So my question to you is this: if a kid doesn't get a good present, what's the point of Christmas?

I've asked for action figures, Pokemon cards, everything. And what do I get? Socks. Ever since 2012, it's been socks. Can you please give me something less... I don't know, lame? I'm gonna try again, one last time, this year. I'm gonna hope for the best. And if I find socks one more time, I'll sue you. Believe me, it works. Even in the North Pole.

Sincerely,

Sock Boy

P.S. DEATH TO SOCKS!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 241
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:42 am
lilychen wrote a review...



Hi erilea! This is Lily, and I’m here to review your work. :)

I liked how you say that you will sue Santa. It adds humor to the story.

However, I personally think that you shouldn’t use the year in your story. I think so because if you state the year, then people who read it automatically know what year and when you wrote this. Dating the work makes it look like it has been a long time, but actually it hasn’t.

Overall, I think it is very funny and silly. I enjoyed reading the letter. ✉️ Have a great day!

Lily 🐺




User avatar
232 Reviews


Points: 874
Reviews: 232

Donate
Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:23 am
View Likes
rainforest wrote a review...



Hello, Artemis! Elysium here with a review.

So, yes I see the humor and the satire in there but I'm not really feeling it. This is okay, but it's bland. There isn't a lot of detail. Let's start.

Every year, a kid looks forward to December 25th--Christmas.


Yes, your Dear Santa part gives it away, but I think that if you paraphrase this sentence, it would add the lacked detail. Also, you stated "a kid." Instead I would put "nearly every child in the world."

Every year, nearly every child looks forward to a certain holiday. The holiday that puts gifts under a tall green line tree, the holiday of pure, white, beautiful snow, and the holiday where we celebrate the birth of Christ. Christmas.


I will also state that the character that is writing the letter seems greedy, ungrateful. I don't know really of you were trying tk achieve that, but I won't go into the cliche "true meaning of Christmas" speech.

Ever since 2012, it's been socks.


Yes, this does say 2012 and since when, but I would instead say,

Ever since that fateful day three years ago, it has been the dreaded pair of white ankle socks.


See? I think it sounds a lot better

Anyways, this could use some polishing up. It isn't the best but it isn't the worst. There is always room for improvement and please don't get discouraged by this review. Thank you.

-Elysium




erilea says...


This was supposed to be in little kid style, when all he thinks about is presents. But yeah. :D



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 620
Reviews: 5

Donate
Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:57 pm
Mortilum wrote a review...



Hahah, this was funny. Truth be told, I expected something mediocre when I read the title. But you surprised me. That has to be funny for the parents when they read his 'Note To Santa' and find out that their gifts suck.

I myself, I really hate getting clothes. Not for immature reasons, I've just always hated clothes. Your relatives will never know your tastes and they will buy the most ridiculous articles of clothing for you. Socks are okay, but even then, a relative will always get you the wrong shape/thickness of sock. At least, that has always been the case for me.




erilea says...


This hasn't happened to me yet, but I thought it'd be fun.



Mortilum says...


Heheh, it's fun to read and you did a good job xD



erilea says...


Thanks!



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 467
Reviews: 46

Donate
Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:02 pm
View Likes
Astronaut says...



Pshhhhhhhhhhh, I ask for socks every year. Not even kidding, I'm just a dork.




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 124
Reviews: 23

Donate
Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:28 am
basia77201 wrote a review...



Hi there!
Basia77201 here. This is funny. I also find it funny how little kids hate getting clothes, and as we get older, for girls at least, we hope to get some nice clothes. (I know I do!) Funny how we change. I love this letter, and its really a nice breath of fresh air from all the gloomy said poems and short stories. Ironic I say that because I write stuff like that. If you don't mind, I would like to put this in my writer's notebook.




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 929
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:31 am
origamidragons says...



Nice. I like the fun tone this letter has- it's not serious at all, but in a good way. It's actually very adorable and relatable because we've all been there, haven't we? And I imagine several kids have written this exact same letter to Santa.

I will say it's a little early in the year for stuff like this still (Halloween stories!) but its okay :)




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 929
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:31 am
origamidragons wrote a review...



Nice. I like the fun tone this letter has- it's not serious at all, but in a good way. It's actually very adorable and relatable because we've all been there, haven't we? And I imagine several kids have written this exact same letter to Santa.

I will say it's a little early in the year for stuff like this still (Halloween stories!) but its okay :)




User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 1841
Reviews: 22

Donate
Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:53 pm
View Likes
unluminescent says...



Haha! I just love the light, humorous feel of this letter. Great job!




Random avatar

Points: 491
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:14 am
Mannyic wrote a review...



Hahahaha, I found this piece actually pretty funny and very relatable. I found the writing ok, but a little childish. The piece itself is good and many will like it because of being able to relate or because nostalgia. I believe that you could turn this even in to a good short story. Anyways it is good work keep it up




erilea says...


It was meant to be childish, because "Sock Boy" is young, about seven to eight years old. But thanks! :)



User avatar


Points: 345
Reviews: 2

Donate
Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:12 pm
GraypatOhel27 says...



I can relate to this! I hope for a cool new video game, but instead, clothes. I especially like how you signed the letter "sock boy" and said "death to socks!" in all caps. You write nicely and I think we've all found "Fruit of the loom" among the branches. Nice job, I do like satirical things like this! Death to socks, life to video games.




erilea says...


Haha, thanks for the comment! :D




Spend your days thinking about things that are good and true and beautiful and noble, and you will become good and true and beautiful and noble.
— Matthew Kelly