the dentist

by ennui

I was at the dentist when it happened.

It was all very innocent, really. There I was, lying against the sticky plastic of the examining chair, trying not to sweat too much. The dentist, a balding man who refused to wear gloves, always made feel as if I were an assaulted possum. Trapped and confused, I’d lie as still as could be, hoping he’d soon discard me in search of a fresher victim.

So still I lay, staring at the ceiling and trying hard not to blink. A photo of the rainforest was crudely taped against the light, and it made me feel suddenly angry. Was this his pathetic attempt at solace? Some sort of illusion to invoke feelings of euphoria? My god, what was this man?

My dentist soon presented himself within the doorway, shoulders stooped and jaw set. He looked thoroughly annoyed.

What fabulous timing, I thought to myself.

The anger soon drained away only to be replaced by needled suspicion. He ignored me, setting about his small dentistry tasks while I watched with narrowed eyes. Long fingers caressed the shined steel of each tool, and he laid them with careful precision against the pale green of the surgical napkin. I couldn’t help but notice the wiry hair that curled about each knuckle. Would I feel those bristles graze the lining of my gums? Would they scratch against the flesh of my mouth as he explored within me?

I visibly blanched, yet my dentist failed to notice. Instead, he turned to survey his surroundings. Nodding his approval, he snatched a file from the nearby table and glanced at the label. Apparently it wasn’t to his liking, and he stalked outside the room again. My jaw tensed in frustration. What was I, a mere spectator? Was I simply invisible to him?

A paper napkin had already been clipped around my throat, and my hands tapped a nervous tattoo against the armrest as I waited. Perspiration beaded my lip and the underlining of my hands. I felt clammy and cold, and my vision was starting to blur. What was happening to me? Hundreds of people had visited this room, had lain in this very chair, had…

Sitting bolt upright, I combed my hands through my hair. I was frantic to rid my mind of my progressing thoughts and images of people and their subsequent pain. My stomach was twisting, my mind racing, my heartbeat a sickening thud.

Just relax, just relax.

The mantra was useless and futile, and I shook like a leaf tethered by the wind.

He entered again, this time releasing a grunt by way of greeting. My eyes snapped up to meet his. He had watery eyes that were set and hidden within folds of aged skin. He stared back at me, then blinked before turning away. My mouth opened to speak, to utter some word of betrayal, but his coat tail had already whipped around the doorframe. He had left again, and I was blinded. What sort of trick was this? Was I nothing more than a readied pig for the butcher? Some sort of sick sacrifice for his own selfish entertainment?

His instruments lay on a small tray beside my chair, and they rattled as my fist slammed against its frame. Would this nightmare ever end? Would these lights burn harshly overhead forever? I jumped to my feet, no longer wishing to be bathed in its fluorescent glare, and nearly tripped over the platform of tools in the process. The tray slid away, metal glinting as they shifted position. I took a step forward, and my furious gaze fixated in the direction of their shine.

When he reentered, my file now in hand, I lay patient and waiting. My hands were folded, my smile demure. He didn’t seemed to notice that his room wasn’t as he left it, simply pulled his tray closer and focused on the manila envelope in his hands. He sat in the chair beside me, and I noticed there was dirt caked within his nails. My fist tightened beside me. A gesture, a quick cock of his head, and my mouth slowly opened. As he leaned closer, my fist slowly rose, the metal quickly flashed, and remarkably.. his mouth opened too.

I was at the dentist when it happened.

My mind simply left me. I felt utterly blank, and then so sure. It was something that needed to be done, and I listened.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:24 am
chocoholic wrote a review...

Wow! That was... amazing. Your descriptions are really good, it was very easy to picture the dentist. This madde me sit there, transfixed on what I was reading. Your writing seems to demand the attention, and that comes through in your wrods.

The beginning was cliche, but if it came from a writing prompt, it can't be your fault. I assume most stories like that would be about something not so bad that happened, but this was very original.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:30 pm
fothi wrote a review...

In the beginning, I was sure that this was supposed to be funny, like a satire of people that are afraid of the dentist almost. Especially with certain lines like..

"always made feel as if I were an assaulted possum"

This comparison is really funny... if you were going for a comedic effect, you got it.. if not, it's sort of out of place.

"My god, what was this man?"

Wonderful use of a rhetorical question. I love it!!

But then, towards the end, I wasn't so sure because I got lost in the confusion of the ending. The narrator's mind left them? I'm not getting it... unless it's supposed to be taken literally, but then why would the dentist keep operating on his mouth? And then, did he stand up and notice dirt under the dentists' fingernails? Is this a dream?

I feel like there's so much going on and not enough explanation behind it. Like, we're inside the narrator's head, but their thoughts don't make sense, and we're left to put the clues together... but we're not given enough clues.

I liked how it was written... I just didn't really get it. Maybe it's my fault? Not sure... I really want to get it though :lol:

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:23 am
mikeyr wrote a review...

My eyes didn't leave the screen once reading that story. The first sentence which may have been a bit cliche, but who cares? The "assaulted possum" bit is great. I mean how often do you hear somebody comparing themselves to a possum? Very rarely.
The descriptions throughout the piece were wonderful, and the action was done well too.
Though I liked the last line, I think you might be able to write a better one that conveys the same ideas. I don't know what is particularly wrong with it, it just isn't as powerful a line as it should be.

I think that the mantra part of that sentence is great, but don't like the simile about being like a leaf. May instead just say "The mantra was useless and futile. I continued to shake." or "The mantra was useless and futile, and there was no way for me to calm myself".

Overall, good job.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:30 am

There wasn't really enough action early on but the variety of sentences was good and your description was effective in places. Two specific suggestions -

The dentist, a balding man who refused to wear gloves, always made me feel as if I were an assaulted possum.

He didn’t seem[s]ed[/s] to notice that his room wasn’t as he left it, simply pulled his tray closer and focused on the manila envelope in his hands.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:05 pm
ennui says...

This piece was based off a writing prompt, and the line required was "I was at the dentist when it happened." So, I can understand if it sounds cliche, ha.

Thank you for the critique. You brought up some great points. :)

Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:26 am
Teague wrote a review...

I hate the beginning. It feels so cliche. "There I was... I was at the dentist when it happened..." UGH! Find something else! >.<

Aside from that, this was FANTASTIC. You have really good imagery and I could just feel the emotion. This grabbed me by the throat and demanded I pay attention. Which is a good thing, although the bruises were unnecessary. ;) I love the ending, took me a few tries to sort out what had happened. xD

A few low points:

So still I lay, staring at the ceiling and trying hard not to blink.

So still I lay? Upon first read it sounds like you're going to make a comparison. I'd reorganise the words.

The anger soon drained away only to be replaced by needled suspicion.

What is "needled suspicion," exactly? Why is your character suspicious? Of what? I'd pick a different emotion here. ;)

I jumped to my feet, no longer wishing to be bathed in its fluorescent glare, and nearly tripped over the platform of tools in the process. The tray slid away, metal glinting as they shifted position. I took a step forward, and my furious gaze fixated in the direction of their shine.

Now, there's nothing wrong with this bit, but it's this added with what comes next:
When he reentered, my file now in hand, I lay patient and waiting.

that throws me off. Wasn't your character standing a second ago? I think you should mention something about returning to the chair as to avoid confusion.

Excellent job. :)

-St. Razorblade :elephant:

Light griefs are loquacious, but the great are dumb.
— Seneca